Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The games are listed left to right in increasing Metacritic score.
Sales data is pulled from VGChartz (listed in millions).
Games are listed along with their ESRB rating.

Just thought it was interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Global Sales of Some 2011 Video Games on Various Platforms
Observation 1: MW3... yikes!
Observation 2: I wonder what this would look like if it included downloaded purchases. I for one spend 90+% of my gaming budget online these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Observation 2: I wonder what this would look like if it included downloaded purchases. I for one spend 90+% of my gaming budget online these days.

Yeah, I don't know how VGChartz calculates their sales. I'm guessing physical box, but I don't know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
Yeah, I don't know how VGChartz calculates their sales. I'm guessing physical box, but I don't know for sure.

It makes reference to its charts being retail sales. e.g. "The year's top-selling games at retail ranked by unit sales" (Global Yearly Chart)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, Skyrim PS3 outsells the PC version? All the PC people must've downloaded it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JDTAY wrote:
Whoa, Skyrim PS3 outsells the PC version? All the PC people must've downloaded it.

And that's why games retailers are sidelining desktop gamers in favour of consolers... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sad to see an innovative and greatly written game such as Portal 2 sell so little, and a "been there, done that 1000 times" one such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sell so much.

I guess that, as in board games, the best games just don't sell as much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bacusgod wrote:
It's sad to see an innovative and greatly written game such as Portal 2 sell so little, and a "been there, done that 1000 times" one such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sell so much.

I guess that, as in board games, the best games just don't sell as much...
In spite of what the retail sales stats show, I bet that he vast majority of Portal 2 owners purchased it through STEAM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Observation 1: MW3... yikes!

There is no doubt that it would be higher, but how much is a very big question.

All I only have to go on is that the Witcher 2 sold about 1 million copies, both digitally and retail. It is rare that sales figures are released but this one was released.

The retail portion accounted for 700,000+ copies, digitally was 220,000+.

Even giving the percentage at 30%, the sales above.would be 30% bigger for items with PC sales as an option. So Portal 2 for example would be 30% larger if it follows the same buying procedure.

This makes the Portal 2 amount purchased for PC less than the amount of items sold for Just Dance on the Wii.

Also, remember you can download games directly to your hard drive a few months after release on a console (at least on the 360), and those numbers wouldnt be listed here either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats aren't even remotely correct for PC games - VGChartz doesn't record digital sales.

So you can probably easily and safely add large chunks of sales to the graph for MW3 and especially for BF3 on PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
JDTAY wrote:

And that's why games retailers are sidelining desktop gamers in favour of consolers... shake

Knee-jerk much? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Ncik wrote:
JDTAY wrote:

Knee-jerk much? shake

Pity them, because the internet is rapidly making them obsolete. When console users start to favour downloads over disks as well, video games at retail level will be a corner in Walmart for unschooled parents and that's about it. Grated that's many, many years away, but the notion of selling digital information in a physical format is going to seem very quaint when we are old(er) and grey(er).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a simple explanation as to why soccer games sold better on the PS3 than the XBox360? Does this mean that PS3s have sold better than XBox360s outside the US (where soccer is far more popular)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Is there a simple explanation as to why soccer games sold better on the PS3 than the XBox360? Does this mean that PS3s have sold better than XBox360s outside the US (where soccer is far more popular)?

I would guess that Japan has at least some part to play in some of that disparity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
rgatti wrote:

I would guess that Japan has at least some part to play in some of that disparity.

Not so much:

FIFA Soccer 12 sales (millions):
PS3: NA: 0.56 - EU: 3.25 - JP: 0.06 - ROW: 1.18
XB360: NA: 0.61 - EU: 2.24 - JP: 0.02 - ROW: 0.45

PS3 consoles themselves have sold better outside the US though:

PS3: NA: 21.78 - EU: 23.74 - JP: 7.77 - ROW: 7.67
XB360: NA: 36.17 - EU: 20.00 - JP: 1.56 - ROW: 6.44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Ncik wrote:
JDTAY wrote:

Knee-jerk much? shake

Sorry, what's the knee-jerk? I said retailers, not developers or anything. I don't know what shops are like where you are, but the high street shops in the UK have been steadily decreasing the shelf and floor space allocated to PC games for about 5 years now. These days there's smaller space dedicated to PC games than any one of the consoles. Over that period, as everyone's said, digital downloads have been adopted more and more for Windows. I would think the drive of digital is one of the clear causes of reduced high street retail support for PC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
FIFA Soccer 12 sales (millions):
PS3: NA: 0.56 - EU: 3.25 - JP: 0.06 - ROW: 1.18
XB360: NA: 0.61 - EU: 2.24 - JP: 0.02 - ROW: 0.45

PS3 consoles themselves have sold better outside the US though:

PS3: NA: 21.78 - EU: 23.74 - JP: 7.77 - ROW: 7.67
XB360: NA: 36.17 - EU: 20.00 - JP: 1.56 - ROW: 6.44

Well colour me surprised. Console sales alone don't seem to account for the sales bias of FIFA (except perhaps in Japan).
EU: 8% bias towards PS3, 18% bias towards PS3 FIFA
ROW: 8% bias towards PS3, 27% bias towards PS3 FIFA

One can only conclude from this that the PS3 is the soccer hooligan's console of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:

Pity them, because the internet is rapidly making them obsolete. When console users start to favour downloads over disks as well, video games at retail level will be a corner in Walmart for unschooled parents and that's about it. Grated that's many, many years away, but the notion of selling digital information in a physical format is going to seem very quaint when we are old(er) and grey(er).

I have not bought a PC game in a retail outlet in about seven months. My interests are somewhat specialized (a lot of simulations, no action games) but download is my method de jour. Most of the things I want I would not find in a brick-and-mortar store in any case.

At least PC gamers do not have the expectations of being able to sell back a game they didn't like, or one they have "solved", in the belief that someone else will buy it for their own use at a discount. This is one of the things that drives console-game publishers absolutely berserk, because that's money they don't get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
At least PC gamers do not have the expectations of being able to sell back a game they didn't like, or one they have "solved", in the belief that someone else will buy it for their own use at a discount. This is one of the things that drives console-game publishers absolutely berserk, because that's money they don't get.

I can't remember the last time I bought a PC game new - all my recent PC purchases have been second hand copies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
I can't remember the last time I bought a PC game new - all my recent PC purchases have been second hand copies...

I'd hazard a guess that if you aren't the exception to the rule now, you will be in the near future. With Steam's 100% year on year growth for the last seven years, continuing expansion elsewhere in the downloadable sales sector, and a commensurate decline in retail sales for PC games, the trend seems pretty much inexorably towards (non-transferable) download sales. Of course neither online or retail sales figures really reflect what's going on in the secondary game market, but with boxed copies of games accounting for a smaller and smaller share of the market, reasonable assumptions can be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Ncik wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that if you aren't the exception to the rule now, you will be in the near future. With Steam's 100% year on year growth for the last seven years, continuing expansion elsewhere in the downloadable sales sector, and a commensurate decline in retail sales for PC games, the trend seems pretty much inexorably towards (non-transferable) download sales. Of course neither online or retail sales figures really reflect what's going on in the secondary game market, but with boxed copies of games accounting for a smaller and smaller share of the market, reasonable assumptions can be made.

Every game I have installed over the last few years that had a significant risk of piracy has asked me for some sort of proof of ownership, such as a serial number. If you enter a serial number that has already been used and it's checked online, the game won't run many times.

As far as boxed games, I expect those to almost completely vanish in the next few years. The cost of printing boxes and disks is hard to justify in the age of Steam and GamersGate, especially when every small publisher can sell their games off their own websites to users anywhere on Earth. If you have a specialized interest such as wargames or sports simulations almost nothing relevant is still offered on CD or DVD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.