The Halberstadt D.II was a biplane fighter aircraft of the Luftstreitkräfte (Imperial German Army Air Service) that served through the period of Allied air superiority in early 1916, but had begun to be superseded in the Jagdstaffeln (fighter squadrons) by the superior Albatros fighters by the autumn of that year.
When the first true Jagdstaffeln were formed in mid-1916, the Halberstadt was initially the best fighter available, and was used by Oswald Boelcke to demonstrate his famous pioneering air fighting tactics (the Dicta Boelcke) to the new units. His Halberstadt was painted bright blue overall - probably the first instance of the gaudy personal finishes applied by German fighter pilots to their mounts for the remainder of the war.
As the new Albatros fighters came into service the Halberstadts were quickly replaced, although a few survived into early 1917. Manfred von Richthofen flew a red Halberstadt D.II for a few weeks in March 1917, after the spar of his Albatros D.III cracked in combat.
Source: Wikipedia, "Halberstadt D.II", available under the CC-BY-SA License.
As Described In
Red Baron: A contemporary of the Albatros D.II and the Fokker E.III, the Halberstadt helped wrest control of the air away from the allies in mid-1916.