GCL Madness 2016 - Preliminary Round
Preliminary Round Rules
This year, I was more liberal than usual in allocating nomination points, so everyone ended up with at least 3 points - that is, everyone's top 3 is in the pool, and at least one more game unless all three were unique.
The format will be as follows:
• 74 games were nominated and also included in at least one other top 12. These games will automatically advance to round 1.
• 67 games were nominated once. The preliminary round will choose 20 of these to advance, in a complicated fashion.
• 32 more games were not nominated, but were the next to be nominated on someone's list (9 lists already had their next game in the field). 1 of these games will join as a wild card.
• 38 games were not nominated (included 5 in the previous group of 32), but were on at least 2 lists (up to top 17, for those who listed extra games). 1 of these games will also join as a wild card. (In the unlikely event that the same game is chosen in both wild card groups, the runners-up will face off in a sudden death battle.)
That will leave us with 96 games in Round 1. We will start with 32 three-way matches, partially seeded but otherwise random, and from there any game with two losses will be eliminated (including the third place games in the three-way matches). So the progression will look like this:
• Round 2: 32 in Winners Bracket, 32 in Losers' Bracket (+ some consolation stuff)
• Round 3: 16 W, 32 L
• Round 4: 8 W, 24 L
• Round 5: 4 W, 16 L
• Round 6: 2 W, 10 L
• Round 7: 1 W, 6 L
• Round 8: 1 W, 3 L - Remaining matchups among top 4 to determine champion
Ties will be broken by number of nominations, followed by number of lists, followed by Borda count, followed by me holding up pictures of the two games and letting my 2.5 month old choose.
New this year: Vote trading will not be allowed in the main tournament (Rounds 1-9). However it will be allowed - and encouraged - in the Preliminary Round! Anything goes!
Voting is open only to GCL members and regular contributors to a GCL (others will be disregarded). If you are not on a GCL roster, please add a comment letting me know which GCL(s) you contribute to so that your vote is not ignored.
In each matchup, vote for as many games as you like - how you determine your favorite(s) is up to you. You are of course free to abstain if you feel you are not able to make a sufficiently informed decision; however, you are not required to have played any of the games to vote.
In some cases similar games were combined, and entries with multiple editions are meant to include all/your-choice-of-all editions. Expansions are also included (if you prefer).
Vote with your thumbs! Each round will last about four days. If you haven't already, make sure you subscribe to GCL Madness Subscription Thread so you don't miss a round...
GCL Madness 2016 - Nominations
- [+] Dice rolls