Cheat Your Own Adventure -- THE PORT OF WAR!
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love random tables!Microbadge: Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist: While you were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it!Microbadge: Dice (d6) fanMicrobadge: Oh No! I forgot to post to my PbF!Microbadge: Dreams about board games
Recommend
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
Welcome to Cheat Your Own Adventure -- THE PORT OF WAR!

To check out the rules, look here.

Quick rules, if you don't want to read the link:

This game requires some limited use of the GeekRoller. 2d6 are rolled for Stamina checks, which happen during each time the game progresses. Stamina starts at 1 and the game ends when it reaches 12. Stamina increases with each successful addition to the geeklist.



1. The narrator writes a short piece of second-person fiction as a geeklist item.

2. The other players will present options as comments to the geeklist item.

3. After 24 hours, the narrator will choose an option by editing their geeklist item with the selection from the available suggestions.

4. The writer of the chosen option will create a new geeklist item for their Stamina roll and narration. If the Stamina roll is a success, go to Step 1.

5. If the Stamina roll fails, the original narrator will choose a second option. The writer of that option will create a new geeklist item and assume control of the narrative, returning to Step 1.



Don't forget to subscribe to this geeklist and thumb posts once you've read them.

The main list comments at the bottom of the page will serve as the OOC thread for the game.



Stamina Target: 11
Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2018 [+] PbF [+] 2018_PbF_Newbie_Initiative [+] [View All]
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. RPG Item: Too Many Musketeers [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Too Many Musketeers
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love random tables!Microbadge: Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist: While you were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it!Microbadge: Dice (d6) fanMicrobadge: Oh No! I forgot to post to my PbF!Microbadge: Dreams about board games
Stamina Target: AUTOPASS



External image

The day started simply enough--loading crates at the dock while Porgins whistled off-key. Your mother told you that Porgins was a loafer, and you are inclined to agree, but he's a nice enough fellow. After being dispatched by the quartermaster to lead another delivery to the port, you set out for a few hours to meet with the merchants on the far side of town. By the time you return, the sudden, ear-splitting sound of cannon fire rings out, and you realize the heavy trading ships come into the edge of the harbor are not, in fact, vessels of commerce.

WARSHIPS! Flying under false flags!

A haze of smoke begins to rise around you as cannonballs and musketfire begin to accent the old-century architecture of the whole port complex. Porgins shrieks, and shuffles over behind a stack of barrels. You realize it's a long way across open pavers to get to any sort of real safety.



Poor Porgins look so scared. Even though you are an extremely heroic port worker, you feel like Porgins needs some company in hiding.

If you can suppress you're insane amounts of courage and bravery, turn to page 33

Stamina is Autopass again, since you’d be rolling 2d6 to get 1 or above.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
2. RPG Item: Too Many Musketeers [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Too Many Musketeers
Zac Jensen
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
....IT'S JIM AND DERRICK CHITCKTCH
Avatar
Microbadge: "Computer, load up Celery Man."Microbadge: Robert Webb fanMicrobadge: David Mitchell fanMicrobadge: "Those are the wrong trumpets."Microbadge: I play a Goliath!
Stamina Target: Autopass



Explosions and smoke are everywhere by the time you get to the barrels. "What's going on? We're going to die," Porgins yells to you. In your mind, you agree with him, but that wouldn't be a good thing to tell someone about to have a panic attack. Now that you have your bearings after the initial shock of the surprise attack, you feel the urge to do something and save both of your lives. "Come with me, I have a plan," You reply, while trying to sound much more confident than you actually feel.



But if you're certain this plan involving salted herring, three random barrels, sail cloth, and a lit torch will work, turn to page 115.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
3. RPG Item: CCC-BMG-29 HILL 2-2: The Red Herring [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: CCC-BMG-29 HILL 2-2: The Red Herring
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
Microbadge: Pie loverMicrobadge: Apple loverMicrobadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Pumpkin loverMicrobadge: Mmmmmmmm Pie!
Page 115
Stamina 2d6 = (3 + 6) = 9


So... your plan. It was a spur-of-the-moment sort of thing, like all your plans (for better or worse).

The salted herring, if you're being honest, started as more of a snack, but as you push them into your shirt you are certain they will also provide what you need to make this work... so you put the rest in two of the barrels.

Then you stick the lit torch in each barrel, making sure the fish catches on fire. Hastily, you push the barrels over, and roll them down the street. Ideally people will get out of the way, making room for you.

Meanwhile Pogins dipped the sail cloth in water, then shoved most of it in the final barrel so that it looks like a hose coming out of water barrel. Porgins carries that barrel and you carry the front of the cloth, looking like the fire brigade.

And with that you are off, running down the street after flaming barrels of fish...

The flaming barrel of fish served as a fine distraction and got you through the plaza to where the harbor tower stands. You can see the black cannonballs roar overhead as the tower guns attempt to defend the harbor against the intruding warships, without much success.

If you leave your burning herrings and drag Porgins to the tower to help with the cannons, turn to page 96.


As you march down the street a cannonball destroys a nearby wall knocking both of you down. You look back and ask Porgins if he is alright only to notice you are deaf and he is dead.

To dramatically scream an unheard cry against the heavens turn to the page 44.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1342309. adularia25
  • 2d6 =
  • (3 + 6) =
  • 9
  • Stamina
  • Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:44 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
4. RPG Item: Never Cry Crawdad [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Never Cry Crawdad
Filipe
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Buffy fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (4th edition)Microbadge: Who wants to play video games?Microbadge: Firefox user
Page 44
Stamina Target: AUTOPASS


From gallery of extherci


You are inert, in shock from losing your best friend in an unexpected battle. You are uncertain how much time passed since you are there. Eventually a person in a blue uniform towers over you. Your ears are still ringing and thus you cannot hear what he is saying. He gets angry and is drawing his saber. It starts raining.

Around you there are debris from the cannonball hit and poor Porgins corpse. Behind you lays a very damaged port administration house.

If you previously chose to wear ladies clothes, you also have a fancy parasol.
If you previously chose to roll as the fire brigade, you also have a red herring.
If you previously chose to ally yourself with the dark powers, you also have a ceremonial dagger and three pages from the Necronomicon.


Your grief is too much! A sudden strength swells inside you as a raw scream rips from your throat and you shove yourself to your feet.

To toss the besabered man aside; lift Porgins' corpse over your head in anger; and run at the docks in a mad, monstrous dash, turn to page 8.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
5. RPG Item: Rage Feats [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Rage Feats
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
Microbadge: Pie loverMicrobadge: Apple loverMicrobadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Pumpkin loverMicrobadge: Mmmmmmmm Pie!
Page 8
2d6 = (1 + 6) = 7


Your grief is too much! A sudden strength swells inside you as a raw scream rips from your throat and you shove yourself to your feet.

You toss the besabered man aside, throwing him into the wall with a sickening crunch. You lift Porgins' corpse over your head in anger and run at the docks in a mad, monstrous dash.

Once you reach the edge of the docks you don't stop. You keep going, running out into the water. The weight of Porgins pulls you down into the briny depths, with each step you take.

And still you keep going. You will avenge your friend. You will keep going. You still have oxygen, for now... though the bubbles are escaping faster and faster. As for the attacking ships - are they above you now? Or is that merely the shadow cast by the corpse of Porgins?

Looking through the murky haze up toward the light you realize that the shadow is indeed one of the attacking ships. Further, you note that this particular ship has weighed anchor as you bump into a long chain with huge links.

To climb the anchor chain up into the attacking ship, turn to page 97.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1347815. adularia25
  • 2d6 =
  • (1 + 6) =
  • 7
  • Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:16 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
6. RPG Item: Anchorhold [Average Rating:7.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Anchorhold
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level VI -  Is six any more shiny? ... Well, it's one shinier isn't it? ... Okay, why don't you just make five a bit more shiny and then that would be the most shiny? ... Because these go to six.Microbadge: We are the champions!Microbadge: Level 19 RPGG poster
Page 8

Stamina roll vs. Target Number of 6 is 2d6 = (5 + 1) = 6


With grim determination, and near panic at the threat of drowning, you climb the anchor chain. Breaking the water you pause for a moment to take some deep breathes. Yet, Porgins death still fuels the burning fire of your rage, driving you on.

You climb the chain, looking around at the chaos in the harbor as you do so. Buildings burn in the city, broken ships float aimlessly about you, canons continue to fire--only a few from the city. You climb on.

Reaching the deck of the ship an enemy leans over and spots you! Before he can raise the alarm you grab and pull, sending the man down to a watery death. You hop over the gunwale ready to seek your revenge.

Nearby away from the gunwale several enemies confer, one of them apparently the captain. A stand with swords and pikes sits nearby, unguarded. Further toward the bow of the ship a crew mans a canon, an open barrel of gunpowder nearby. Aftward, up a flight of stairs to the poop deck, you see the helmsman at the wheel...

If you recognize the captain to be your childhood sweetheart who vanished from town when you were both 14, and want to ask her why she left, turn to page 28
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1348853. Elfbane
  • 2d6 =
  • (5 + 1) =
  • 6
  • Stamina roll vs. Target Number of 6 is
  • Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:13 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
7. RPG: Wacky Love [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG: Wacky Love
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
Avatar
Microbadge: I get surprise boxes from KickstarterMicrobadge: Aww! Look at that cute cloud! I love cute stuff!!Microbadge: Janelle Monáe fanMicrobadge: Think Green!Microbadge: Pedal power - yes thanks!
Stamina roll vs. Target Number of 7 is 9


"Tina", you sputter, "Tina, how... why... my" and with that you're cut short, whacked on the head with something heavy from behind. The last you see before everything turns dark is Tina's soft, dark eyes, expressing shock and tender recognition.

When your consciousness returns you find yourself in what seems to be the captain's room. You're still drenched - can't have been out for too long - and with heavy head and heart you look around. There's a bowl of fruit and some ink and paper on the table, a drawing of two persons on the wall, an opened chest (full of clothes?), and... then you notice the parrot. It chirps, and the noise feels pretty loud and painful in your head. You notice some sort of bandage on your head.

All the old feelings you have for Tina start to flood back into your mind. You think that she MUST feel the same way about you because of how real your love used to be for each other.

To propose marriage and become her pirate husband, turn to page 505


All that you can think about is that you need to talk to Tina, but she isn't in the room. After grabbing a bit of fruit, and feeling the bump on your head, you consider where she might be. She must be on deck.

If you go to the door to the captain's quarters and try to pull it open, turn to page 138.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1349930. jasri
  • 2d6 =
  • (6 + 3) =
  • 9
  • Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:17 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
8. RPG Item: C4: Pirates: Out for Love and Duty [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: C4: Pirates: Out for Love and Duty
Zac Jensen
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
....IT'S JIM AND DERRICK CHITCKTCH
Avatar
Microbadge: "Computer, load up Celery Man."Microbadge: Robert Webb fanMicrobadge: David Mitchell fanMicrobadge: "Those are the wrong trumpets."Microbadge: I play a Goliath!
STAMINA ROLL VS TARGET NUMBER OF 8: 2d6 = (3 + 2) = 5


You get up and find some pirate clothes to look presentable. Then, you burst through the door and confidently walk to the left. You see her standing there, ordering around some of the deck hands. Grabbing her hand, you say, "Tina, what we had when we were teenagers was so real. I have loved you ever since then and I know you must still love me after all these years. Will you please make me the happiest pirate in the land and marry me?" Tina is surprised to say the least. She stammers and then says...

nothing because as she was about to speak, the biggest guy you have ever seen steps in front of her and says, "Tina deserve better! Bonecrusher challenge wimpy man to duel to the death! If wimpy man win, you ask Tina again. If Bonecrusher wins, wimpy man won't be living."

Before you can politely decline, a saber is thrust in your hand. You think your quickness might make up for his size until you see his weapon. A saber would look like a toothpick in his massive hands. You see four men carrying a huge sword that they struggle to drag towards Bonecrusher. He picks it up with ease and starts waving it around.

The first thing you do is try and run, but the pirates on deck are blocking your path. Your only option is to fight. Bonecrusher slams his sword down to the side of you like he is toying with you. You close your eyes and lunge forward with your saber pointed straight out. You feel it hit something. When you open your eyes, Bonecrusher is looking at his knee where your saber poked him. He starts laughing and then grabs the saber and bends it in half with one hand. Sensing the end, you close your eyes and yell, "I love you Ti-!" Before you could finish, that big sword split you down the middle and Bonecrusher tosses you out to sea.
9 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1350443. zjensen3
  • 2d6 =
  • (3 + 2) =
  • 5
  • Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:07 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
9. RPG Item: Mask of the Pirate Queen [Average Rating:8.36 Overall Rank:1622]
RPG Item: Mask of the Pirate Queen
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I completed the Creative 12x12 Challenge!Microbadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum New GM Initiative participantMicrobadge: FIREBALL! MAKE YOUR SAVES!Microbadge: I love polyhedral diceMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
P138

Stamina Target: Autopass


Being as quiet and calm as you can, you open the door of the captain's cabin, which was thankfully left unlocked, and start looking for Tina. You don't immediately see her, but you have to duck and hide several times as other crew pass closely by. Suddenly you hear her voice, smooth as silk on the wind.

As one called by a siren, you make your way to the small deck above. You figure that she could have killed you already if she had wanted to. Because she didn't, it means that she must still love you. You observe her as in a daze and work up the courage to approach her. So focused are you on Tina that you don't even hear the crashing and booming sounds of the cannons on the deck below.

Just as you gain your composure and will your legs to carry you forth, she sees you. After barking out more orders to the crew, Captain Tina strides boldly forward, with a guard on either side of her. Resplendent in her bright blue captain's coat and befeathered tricorn hat, she speaks in a commanding tone, "What are you doing up here? Can you not see that I am in the midst of a battle? You are useless to me right now, please return to my quarters." She motions for two guards to escort you. Reaching for her past the guards, you stammer back, "But why are you attacking the port? This used to be your home...and mine...and my poor friend Porgins. I don't understand. You have to stop!" Replying, with a cruel smile, "Believe me when I say that they deserve it." Then, to her guards, "Take him back to my quarters, restrain him, and for Jonah's sake, lock the door this time. I will deal with him later." One snickers until Captain Tina's look of disgust warns him against further comment. With an "Aye, Captain!" they clasp hands on both sides of you and drag you away between them.

'For Jonah's sake'... was that? You wrack your memory. Yes! You and Tina long ago had a code and that phrase was part of it. You are fairly sure it means that Tina is in trouble. She isn't really in control. By all that's holy, she needs you! Although, there is a slight chance that the phrase was code for 'wait, I'll explain later'...

No, that doesn't sound right. You're the hero of this story. She must be in trouble and you are just the one to save her.


To break free from the guards' grasp and gallantly run back to Tina's aid, turn to page 1111.


Maybe--just maybe--what Tina said about the city, "that they deserve it," is true. You think for a moment about all the prevalent crime, the corrupt leadership, the high divorce rates, the truant kids living outside... maybe the only solution is to watch it burn and start over?

If you sincerely plead to gain entry into the invasion force, turn to page 2.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
10. RPG Item: Ultimate Combat [Average Rating:7.23 Overall Rank:548]
RPG Item: Ultimate Combat
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level VI -  Is six any more shiny? ... Well, it's one shinier isn't it? ... Okay, why don't you just make five a bit more shiny and then that would be the most shiny? ... Because these go to six.Microbadge: We are the champions!Microbadge: Level 19 RPGG poster
Stamina roll vs. TN 9 = 2d6 = (2 + 5) = 7

Page 1111

It's go time! You think back to your combat training, i.e. wrestling with your siblings over the last sticky bun at the dinner table, and consider the possibilities...

A twist of your body and drop of your weight would bring these two thugs' heads together in a satisfying thump. On the other hand, a simple foot stomp on one of their insteps would likely release a hand to punch the other in the throat, then knee to the first one's head. Or... wriggle free and grab a saber and start slashing?

Hmmm... Tina is still watching, so you decide to go for the more dramatic approach. In two steps you'll reach a barrel from which you can push off with one foot into a flip that will drive the two guards into each other. A smile crosses your face at the thought. One more step and...

Your foot flashes out onto the barrel, ready to push off into the flip of death. Sadly, the barrel is mostly empty and gives easily. Instead of flipping all the way around you only make it half way. The two guards, taken by surprise, actually release you. That's great, you think for a moment, but then you realize you are still in mid-air with the back of your head toward the ground and nothing to grab onto. You fall straight down and your head hits the deck at an awkward angle.

You hear a sickening crack as your neck breaks and you loose all feeling in your body seconds before the world goes permanently dark.

You are dead.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1352669. Elfbane
  • 2d6 =
  • (2 + 5) =
  • 7
  • Stamina roll vs. TN 9 =
  • Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:56 am
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
11. Board Game: Turning The Tide [Average Rating:7.97 Unranked] [Average Rating:7.97 Unranked]
Board Game: Turning The Tide
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
Microbadge: I love random tables!Microbadge: Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist: While you were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it!Microbadge: Dice (d6) fanMicrobadge: Oh No! I forgot to post to my PbF!Microbadge: Dreams about board games
STAMINA = AUTOPASS*

Dragging you away, both guards give you a look of disdain. The whole series of events in the last few hours weighs heavily on your shoulders. Why did these people attack the city? Why is Tina at the helm? Why did Porgins have to perish in the struggle? The thoughts coalesce in your head until they're as heavy as a brick. You realize something that has been haunting you for a while, but has never found any valid articulation in your mind--everything rises and falls, there is no status quo, and change is the dynamo that challenges the entropy known all too well in your sagging heart.

You look around at this vessel of war, and realize that all of the people you've passed are not so different from you. Having overheard many a conversation in the docks and on board this ship, you don't hear muck-raking pirates bent on grog and booty of various manifestations, but men and women of sincere conviction. They want to release this province from the decadence and corruption that has long sapped its strength and lifeblood. That sounds good--no, that sounds right. You realize that with Porgins dead, terrible as that is, you have little connection to the the city writ large now, and with this cruel, but sudden twist of fate, you might have a second chance.

Imploring the guards for another audience with Tina, they laugh at you. However, you keep your cool and do not aggravate the situation. Instead, you begin explaining to them that you understand their point of view. You realize that such a reversal might seem like duplicitous subterfuge, and don't press it too far. Taken to the brig, you accept your place there, but after an hour, Tina returns. She unlocks the gate, walks in, and lifts your chin with the tip of her estoc. "Tell me, are you serious about aligning yourself with us? You were capable when we last knew each other, can I count on you now? You ought to understand what's at stake."

You plead with her, and she seems to take you at your word. Another few hours pass, and you're released, given a uniform, and taken into a room with a large map of the city laid out on the table. Tina and her officers are there. They all look to you, and ask what you would do if you were to direct the next arm of the invasion. Tina informs you that with your knowledge of the city, she is giving you one shot to put your money where your mouth is.



With no hesitation you stick a dagger into your old neighborhood on the map.

"You know why." You say, looking directly into Tina's eyes.

To reveal the well-kept secret your neighborhood guarded, turn to page 367.


If you want to point out the differences between the map and the Western quarter, rebuilt after the fire three years ago, and suggest to take a band through the small, often unguarded Bakers' Gate and down the Western quarter to take control of the powder keg storehouse, turn to page 83.

*The next Stamina roll target is and AUTOPASS due to Carrie's death sequence.
7 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
12. RPG Item: AA#19: The Secret of the Callair Hills [Average Rating:4.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: AA#19: The Secret of the Callair Hills
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
Microbadge: Pie loverMicrobadge: Apple loverMicrobadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Pumpkin loverMicrobadge: Mmmmmmmm Pie!
Page 367
Target (10) 2d6 = (1 + 4) = 5


You grin, knowing you have them now.

"You remember, Tina. The whispers of the elders. The knowing glances." You pause, dramatically. Waiting for someone to ask the right question. When someone finally asks what secrets, you pull out your dagger.

"There was a king, long ago, who was paranoid about his reign. Maybe he was rightly paranoid, maybe he was mad, it was, after all, a long time ago.

This matters because he had his architects work in secret to build a tunnel that lead out from the castle, into the city. The tunnel branched, so that no one might know exactly where in the city he would emerge. When he was done, he walled the architects up inside the tunnel. There inscriptions are still there, begging to know what they did wrong. They never realized he wouldn't let them go after they knew about this secret.

The only reason we knew about it was when all man Mathus's house fell. We thought it was a sinkhole that swallowed the place, but no, it was the old tunnel, finally succumbing to age. We patched it up, let no one know, and then began to explore those tunnels."


Tina looks at you, and you aren't quite certain what the look says.

"You heard the man. We're going to take the palace - from old man Mathus's place!"

There is a flurry of activity. Everyone gets the gear required. When you try to help, Tina puts a hand on your shoulder. "You've done enough. Just make sure you're up at the front with me when we move out." You'll feeling pretty good about this whole thing. Why, it might just work!

In the dead of night - of course there is no moon, for they timed this attack well - groups split off to go to different parts of the city, to throw people off, if anyone had been watching.

Soon you find yourself at old Mathus's house. He's long gone, but the name remains etched in the lintel over the door. You walk in boldly, heading down the stairs, into the basement and the tunnel you know you will find there. You don't think it strange that only one step of boots followed you until they stop.

Before you can turn Tina comes up behind you.

"You poor fool." she hissed, "One who would so easily spill such secrets does not belong in our organization. Now we need a new plan to take the city, one my commanders won't sell for too few coins."

As a dagger slides into your left kidney, you come to the realization that you just failed a test. She leaves you lying in a puddle of blood. The last thing you hear is the rumbling of explosives as they blow old Mathus's house in order to hide the entrance to the tunnel.

You are dead. Return to page page 2.
6 
 Thumb up
1.27
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1353545. adularia25
  • 2d6 =
  • (1 + 4) =
  • 5
  • Target (10)
  • Fri Oct 5, 2018 6:23 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
13. RPG Item: Black Powder Weaponry [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Black Powder Weaponry
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
Avatar
Microbadge: I get surprise boxes from KickstarterMicrobadge: Aww! Look at that cute cloud! I love cute stuff!!Microbadge: Janelle Monáe fanMicrobadge: Think Green!Microbadge: Pedal power - yes thanks!
Page 83
Stamina = Autopass


As you detail how parts of the town are different from what's on the map, and how some of those changes might be used to the attackers' advantage, you observe that some of Tina's officer open up a bit and start to trust you. Others listen coolly but do not hide their distrust.

When you've suggested your plan, one of the skeptics, him without the eyebrows, whispers something in Tina's ear. She nods to him, then orders you to lead six of her crew to take the powder keg storehouse. Six is precious few, you think, but you accept with a determined face.

When you see them, your unease subsides a little. They look very capable. Then you notice that there are only five. While you wonder how to react to that, no-eyebrows walks up to you.

Don't worry boy, I'm your number six. He grins maliciously, and he basically stinks of distrust. You learn that his name is Bald-Eye. Your heart sinks a little at the thought of him being around, but you are determined to show them all that you can accomplish what they expect.

It works surprisingly well. At least if you ignore all the snide remarks and open distrust with which Bald-Eye undermines any respect you might have won from the other five men and women which you lead. Still, it goes smoothly. Rowing to the shore a mile away from town, entering through the small Bakers' Gate where only a young boy sits for guard and doesn't seem to know what to do but reply to your (fake-bored) "good day, lad!" with a flustered "and to you, sir"... From there you take the small streets, where no guards or soldiers can see you, right up to the powder keg house. You can see the back of it from this corner. There are windows about three meters (ten feet) up the wall on this side. You are pretty sure that the front of the building where the entrance is will be guarded. In fact, you can hear a few shouts from there - sounds like a small group is just getting more barrels ready to roll down to the port, to the cannons.

That window in the back is tempting... you should be able to sneak in and set off an explosion.
To direct your strike team to infiltrate the storehouse, turn to page 333


Looking around for options you notice that the Frenchman's crane is somewhat damaged but you guess it is still working.
To use the Frenchman's crane to get your crew atop the powder keg storehouse, turn to page 100


You notice that there are other guards not overly close to the powder keg house. After a disagreement between Bald-Eye and yourself on tactics, you finally agree to quietly take out those guards, stash their bodies, and change into their smelly clothes.

If you feel confident enough in your disguise to talk to the guards in front of the powder keg house, turn to page 300.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
14. RPG Item: The Climb [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: The Climb
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level VI -  Is six any more shiny? ... Well, it's one shinier isn't it? ... Okay, why don't you just make five a bit more shiny and then that would be the most shiny? ... Because these go to six.Microbadge: We are the champions!Microbadge: Level 19 RPGG poster
Stamina roll vs. TN 11 is 2d6 = (2 + 5) = 7

Page 333


"Right!" you say, brimming with confidence. "Here's the plan. We create a distraction, then enter through the back window, set a fire to cause an explosion, then run like hell."

"But..." one of the team starts to object, but Bald-eye shuts him down.

"Quiet," Bald-eye demands before continuing with an obviously reluctant tone. "It's a sound enough plan. Stump and me'll run to the front and draw the guards off."

You look at Bald-eye suspiciously but nod in affirmation. "Good. That means Moe, Larry, and Curly are with me. We shouldn't need more than a quarter hour."

A few details are worked out and plans made. When everything is set, Bald-eye and Stump circle around and approach the guards in front of the powdery. Bald-eye walks up casually and shoots one of the guards in the face with a pistol, then draws his sword. Stump takes a different approach a moment later, running wildly toward the guards, screaming. It's enough to draw off the guards and draw the attention of some still in the storehouse.

You approach the rear window and with a running jump off of a crate you reach the window sill and pull yourself up. Quickly, you lower a knotted rope for the others and they climb in. You begin prepping things, breaking some wood into kindling, moving barrels of powder, and tracing a line of powder from the barrels to the window. A smile plays across your face as you imagine the explosion soon to come. A couple of guards catch you in the act, and Moe and Larry move to intercept. Sabres clash and ring. You urge Curly to move with greater alacrity as the two of you put on the finishing touches.

"I think we're ready..." you say as you bend and complete the last task.

"Good. Done. Now how do we get out?" Curly says with a pleased tone. You hear and smell burning gunpowder. Oh, shite, you think as you realize Curly has set up his own line of gunpowder from the barrels to the room's door. The blasted idiot! And such a short fuse! "RUN!" you cry out, heading for the window.

You leap, diving through the open window just as the flame reaches the barrels and are hurled several yards, hitting some wall and then the ground hard. Reaching up to hold your aching head you realize most of your arm is gone. All you succeed at is getting blood in your eye as sprays from the stump of your arm. Through the blood, you can see that your legs, what's left of them, are a mangled mess - bone, tendon, and muscle clearly visible in a pulpy mass. It's all too much and you pass out.



You come to sometime later to the sound of Tina's voice. "You did it, Samuel. We took the city, with your help." A single tear falls down Tina's achingly beautiful face, in stark contrast to her smile of triumph.

"Tina? Tina. I- I'm sorry. I've missed you so... Never stopped. Ah! Never.... stopped.... loving you. C-can you f-forgive me? Take, take me back?"

"Oh, Sam..." she replies with a heavy breath. Tears run rivers from her eyes as she gently caresses your face, "I..."

The rest is lost to the void as the world goes black.



You are dead. Return to page 83.

8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1354850. Elfbane
  • 2d6 =
  • (2 + 5) =
  • 7
  • Stamina roll vs. TN 11 is
  • Mon Oct 8, 2018 3:50 pm
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
Issue: The Gazebo (Issue 1 - Apr 2012)
Filipe
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Buffy fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (4th edition)Microbadge: Who wants to play video games?Microbadge: Firefox user
Page 100
Stamina = Autofail


Seeing the Frenchman's crane you talk the crew into using it even if you are not 100% sure whether it is an ordinary bad decision like the ones you seem to be making since you woke up this morning or a monumentally bad one.
Too late! The men are already setting it for you to be taken to the ceiling of the warehouse. While waiting for them you see a plaque on the machine. "Grue". Merely reading that word somehow sends chills down your spine. The crane is already hooked to a huge fabric sack which seems fortunate because it will provide cover while being elevated. There is some construction stuff already in there so the journey is not very comfortable. While in the air, through a hole in the fabric, you are able to see the gazebo near your home, not far from there. You daydream a little about how your town is more beautiful from up there. It is a fleeting moment though, because soon you get to the warehouse. Right away you notice that some cannonballs made holes in the ceiling and broke some load-bearing beams. Looking down you see most of the city militia moving the gunpowder into carts. There is no way you could get down there unnoticed, but if you could just barricade the door that would take care of both the militia and the gunpowder. You then think that if the crane drops something heavy in the ceiling near the door, the wall (or indeed the whole structure) could collapse.
You ask your crew to return you to the ground in order to load a pallet with stone blocks laying around the crane. As you go up again a guard spots your comrades and fires two times at you. One shot hits something metallic and the resulting spark sets the fabric on fire, the other hits your belly. Your crew, showing some surprising loyalty, tries to get you down fast, swinging you violently. The shake sends you to the bottom of the sack. Only then you notice that amidst the other stuff there was a powder keg inside the sack. It is now very close to the flames. You have become a bomb!
Wounded and trapped below some construction materials you cannot avoid the explosion, but you can change who gets to blow up! Summoning your last energy reserves you pull a knife and rip the fabric below you. Your mates are safe! You are now hugging the flaming keg and flying through the air like an angel of death. You look down and notice you will be landing on your mother's house.

It is fitting: you were born there, you will die there.
You shed a tear of joy. Be happy mother, for you are going to heaven.
8 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
16. RPG Item: Blowing Up the Movies [Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
RPG Item: Blowing Up the Movies
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: I completed the Creative 12x12 Challenge!Microbadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum New GM Initiative participantMicrobadge: FIREBALL! MAKE YOUR SAVES!Microbadge: I love polyhedral diceMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
Page 300

Taking out the guards was easier than expected, probably because most of the action was at the waterfront. Your team easily hid the bodies in a vacant building and you slipped on the guard's clothing, which fit more comfortably than your own.

As you walked back toward the gunpowder storehouse, you worked up your courage to face the real guards. As you rounded the corner, you observed them standing there glumly. One thing is certain, you could tell they needed a drink. Feeling in your pockets, you found a small flask and with a smile, you knew just what to do.

You walk up to them as naturally as you can, with another of your men mirroring your actions. Bringing out the flask, you offer the two guards a drink. While they are laughing and tossing back the rum, you give a signal to the rest of the crew to run them through. As they fall heavily to the ground in front of you, you pluck the flask out of their hands and take a swig yourself.

The rest happens like clockwork. You and your crew strip the place of as much powder and supplies as you can carry. You personally lay a line of fuse to the rest of the supplies, light it, and run for the rowboat. As you are rowing back to the ship, you see it the powder storehouse explode, huge flames lighting up the night. With nothing left to fuel their cannons, you know that the port's surrender is insured.

The morning sun is barely rising in the sky when you see the laughing face of Captain Tina welcoming you back on board. White flags are waving from the shore as the city surrenders and she announces to her crew that you are now First Mate. The sideways glance and shy wink that Tina gives you foretells an even more personal reward for your bravery is to be expected from her in the near future.

Once docked, Captain Tina, resplendent in her cerulean blue captain's coat and befeathered tricorn hat, strides down onto the docks and you fall in beside her naturally. The rest of the crew has acknowledged you, a true pirate's pirate. Standing proudly at her side, you realize that she was right, this city deserved to be taken, and you two together were the right team to do it.

Yesterday seems like a lifetime ago. In less than a day, you've become a scurvy pirate and Captain Tina's right-hand man. One thing is for sure, governing this port city with Tina is a lot more interesting than your lowly job carting wares for a merchant. If only poor Porgins could see you now! Huzzah!

THE END
9 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}