Virtual Flea Market for Delivery to BGG.Con 2019
Many thanks to Jonathan (Zafin) for a nice summary of last minute items in the comments:
Sellers: A few tips or suggestions.
1. Create a spreadsheet with the games your selling. Create columns for Game Name, Game Cost, Method of Payment, Buyer Name, Buyer BGG Name, Comments, etc. If you’re paying via PayPal, Venmo, etc. make a note. Print off your list prior to the event and bring it with you.
2. Send out geek mails and confirm with the game sale with people who have bought games from you. Sometimes people miss responses to game transactions. Run your sales through BGG Marketplace either as a lot or individually so BGG can get their cut. It's only fair.
3. Have a full-length, printed sheet with your BGG User Name, Name, and Avatar/Logo on it for people to find you more easily.
4. Print out the table assignments beforehand. Circle your table.
5. Get there right at 6pm to set up your games and table.
6. You must attend the whole hour or until all your games being sold are picked up by Buyers.
7. Team up with a friend (or a few friends) if you are both Buying and Selling games. You cannot be both a Buyer and Seller at the VFM event.
8. Sticky notes with the name of the Buyer picking up your games would be helpful.
9. Remember it’s the most wonderful game time (BGGCon!!) of the year! Be kind, courteous, and try to help others out as possible. This event is super fun!
Buyers: A few tips or suggestions.
1. Create a spreadsheet with the games you’re buying. Create columns for Game Name, Game Cost, Method of Payment, Buyer Name, Buyer BGG Name, Comments, etc. If you’re paying via PayPal, Venmo, etc. make a note. Print off your list prior to the event and bring it with you.
2. Buy plain envelopes. Write down the name of each game you’re buying and the BGG name of the Seller. Provide exact change. Put your name on your envelopes so it's easily identified as paid by sellers or in case it gets lost.
3. Get there around 6:45pm and wait in line to get in. Buyers can’t go in until 7pm.
4. Bring plenty of bags to haul off your “new” games. You won’t’ be able to use the luggage carts.
5. Have a full-length, printed sheet with your BGG User Name, Name, and BGG Avatar/Logo on it for people to find you more easily.
6. Print out the table assignments beforehand. Circle or highlight the tables you need to visit.
7. Remember it’s the most wonderful game time (BGGCon!!) of the year! Be kind, courteous, and try to help others out as possible. This event is super fun!
One final note: PLEASE open your envelopes and remove the cash. Surprisingly every year we find envelopes left behind with cash in them!
Table assignments have been posted.
If you are combining with another person, so that one of you can chase packages, and the other deliver packages, notify me AND your purchasers! They need to know what table to find your packages at!! REMEMBER: Tables are by Username!
Start working on entering your items in the BGG Marketplace. If you go to YOUR item listing you will find:
Quick Marketplace Listing
This is an easy way to get your listing made!
Reminder: Rules for all three events:
1. You cannot be both a buyer and seller during the event - bring a proxy. The seller must stay at their station for the entire length of the event.
2. You cannot use hotel luggage carts - bring your own cart/dolly
3. Buyers are not allowed in until the event starts so sellers can setup unimpeded.
Yes - it's that time again! Time for a Virtual Flea Market. I will be taking over for Michael Schwerdtfeger (Waylander1) this year!
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE HEADER!! IN ORDER THAT THIS CHAOTIC EVENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE, IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ EVERYTHING!
VFM Delivery Meetup: Thurs 7 pm - 8 pm in Reunion EF. (Do NOT enter before 7 pm!! We need space to set up.) Sellers may start setting up at 6 pm (You must remain at your assigned table until all your games are delivered)
Buyers: Use one of these links for an alphabetized list of games still available:
2018 VFM Index (courtesy of Steve Duff (UnknownParkerBrother)
(You can place +remove+ in their listing to remove it from the summary list)
2019 Alternate VFM Index (courtesy of John Munsch)
1. You MUST read the whole header.
2. Sellers MUST read the section under Summary of Unsold games to correctly mark items Sold/Change Price.
3. Sellers MUST not delete listed items
4. Sellers MUST list there items with the BGG Marketplace (Or do a bulk entry for commission)
5. Sellers MUST attend the WHOLE hour of the exchange until all your games are traded. (Some games may be traded earlier, but all must be complete before you leave.)
6. Buyers MUST attend the START of the hour of exchange and stay until all your games are received. Do NOT be late!
Failure to follow these rules may cause you to be rejected from future Virtual Flea Markets.
Here is the concept - For people who are travelling to the convention, sellers only want to bring games that they have sold. Buyers want to plan how much space they need to bring games home. Enter the Virtual Flea Market. If you have items that you'd like to sell at BGG.Con, list them here with the condition of your items, and the price or terms you'd like to sell for. Buyers settle on a price with the seller. At the con, buyers give an envelope with pre-counted money to the seller who hands them the game!
How you sell your items is up to you! Fixed Price, Auction, Dutch Auction, it doesn't matter. Everyone is on their own - no one will be monitoring your items but you. Note: Sellers should comment or change the listing to show agreed upon sales, whereupon they are committed.
But, whatever you do, PLEASE DON'T DELETE YOUR ITEMS. Mark them as sold or no longer available. With as many items as we get on the list, people rely on the entry numbers. Having them change with deletions makes it harder for people to pay attention to the items they are interested in.
As in the past, we have reserved a time and space at BGG.Con to make the swaps. This year's delivery meet up will be Thursday from 7 pm until 8 pm in Reunion EF.
Buyers: You may not enter before 7 pm because we require space to get many, many games setup for exchange, and large piles of games need to get into the room. PLEASE BE PROMPT at 7 pm!! We have to be clear of the room by no later than 8 pm to make room for other BGG events. Buyers stay on the OUTSIDE of the tables for ease of finding games.
Sellers: You may start setting up at 6 pm after Math Trade Exits. You may NOT use hotel luggage carts. Sellers stay on INSIDE of tables. Do NOT block the outside traffic with games!
You are, of course, welcome to arrange other times/methods for your swaps on an individual basis (but see the note about a Tuesday meetup below).
I will create a room plan so that there will be some semblance of organization to the chaos that is the VFM. The room will be organized alphabetically by USER NAME (please note that the room will not be organized by first name, last name, or shoe size. It will be organized by USER NAME). We will be putting letters on the tables so it is easy to see them. Please go to your table - it will make things a whole lot easier!
Please stay tuned to this section, as we may update the room plan as we get closer to the event.
Delivery Meetup Guidelines and Expectations
Since this event has gotten so large (and fun and successful), we need everyone's help to keep the event organized so we can continue it in future years. Thousands of items trade hands each year, and to do that again, we need everyone to please follow these guidelines:
1. Please be kind, bring a sign, and try to help each other out.
2. The room will be organized according to Sellers' User Names. If you are selling items, please know where your delivery location is.
3. Please be on time.
4. If you are both buying and selling, you MUST bring a helper (or team-up with someone) to pick up your purchased games! If you still have items to deliver, you MUST be at your designated room location to deliver them.
5. If you are a buyer, please bring one envelope for each seller you are buying from. Each envelope should be marked on the outside with the seller's user name, and the items you are buying and should contain exact change. After doing this for a few years, I can tell you that this makes the event go much more smoothly for everyone.
6. Any attempt by a buyer to deceive the seller and pick up a game which you did not rightfully purchase will be dealt with harshly.
7. Any attempt by a seller to deceive a buyer by significantly mis describing the item (e.g. missing stated expansion) will be dealt with harshly.
Please be considerate to the several hundred other people that are participating so this can continue to be a great experience! There is nothing more frustrating that walking through the room looking for someone, only to find out they are running late or wandering about the hall looking for their own pickups.
Summary of Unsold Games
Despite not being a regular attendee, Steve Duff (UnknownParkerBrother) has put together a list based on code from Ron Parker (parkrrrr) that summarizes the games still unsold! Thanks Steve (and Ron)! The link to the list is above.
Additionally, last year, John Munsch started working on new code for an improved summary list. He's made that available to us as well. You can find that link above.
Sellers: In order to keep this list working right, please update your items as follows:
1. When your item sells, please edit your items entry to include the word "Sold" someplace.
2. If your item is an auction, please include the word "Auction" someplace.
3. If you are selling an item that deserves an alternate name in a summary list, please place this code in your item someplace: "+altname+ Whatever You'd Like To Call Your Item -altname-"
4. If you change your price, please keep the new price on the same line of the geeklist (Do something like $25$20)
5. Please don't delete sold items!! Just leave them on the list. Thank you!
If there is something you are looking for, think about adding it to Virtual Flea Market for Delivery to BGG.Con 2019 - Request List.
Virtual Flea Market Request List for BGG.CON 2019
In the past, it is sometimes easy, convenient, and cost effective to mail a large box of items to the hotel ahead of the convention. The hotel will hold the box and delivered it to you when you arrive.
However, the hotel will likely be using its in-house FedEx service for handling incoming and outgoing boxes. FedEx will charge a per box handling fee for all incoming and outgoing boxes (plus an additional fee if you want the box delivered to your room). FedEx will also charge if you need to buy a box on the outbound side.
For those of you travelling from afar, you should consider this alternative.
If you would like to mail a package to the hotel, you can mail the box to
Hyatt Regency Dallas
300 Reunion Boulevard,
Dallas, Texas USA 75207
Then, mark the package with "Attn: [Your name and date of arrival]"
Per BGG Guidelines, it is the seller's responsibility to process final sales through the BGG Marketplace so that BGG gets it's small commission.
While the VFM has become significantly larger in terms of number of items trading hands than the BGG.Con Math Trade, we continue to ask that people that participate in both be considerate of other participants. If you as a seller participate in both, please try to make sure that items are not listed in both at the same time. However, this will not be monitored. So if you do so, it is your responsibility to immediately mark items sold as no longer available in the Math trade, and mark them deleted from this list if they are traded. If you make a mistake and sell a game twice, it is your responsibility to fulfill all your commitments, no matter what the cost is to you. It is far better that you avoid conflicts like this.
BGG.CON Bazaar Marketplace
The BGG.CON Bazaar Marketplace is a separate event run at 10 am on Friday, where you can explore and purchase games at the con. It is not related to the Virtual Flea Market, but please do attend!
Tuesday Night Meetup
In the past, some of the participants in the VFM have tried to set up a meetup on Tuesday night. BGG.Con staff has advised me that since they do not officially take any hotel space on Tuesday, there can be no official or unofficial events prior to Wednesday. So, please do not schedule such a meetup. All exchanges need to either take place in the Thursday event or arranged individually.
Please do add your items - the more items, the more interest!
Table Assignments are posted! We have a lot more space this year. Some people got two or three tables. It is just they way it balances. These are forced to be alphabetical! So PLEASE be flexible with your neighbor and overlap tables as needed. I'll have signs up.
- [+] Dice rolls