12 Posts

Shadowrun Returns» Forums » General

Subject: Questions about decking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extracted from Re: Download now available! First (good) experiences:
alcazar wrote:
But do deckers work properly. If I equip a deck it'll let me connect to the matrix, but I don't get access to the programs and ESPs I have.

I've also seen comments that there's only a couple of opportunities for decking in the game...
In my first (and currently only) Matrix run with only JC (my own runner has no decking skill) it worked fine and was very enjoyable.
Asking the possibly obvious: Did you assign your programs to the corresponding slots, i.e. equip them, or are they still in your stash?

Related question: Next to the drop-up(?) buttons is a button which enables some kind of triangle in front of the runner, something like marking a viewing angle. What does this do? The "icon" in the drop-up menu is empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Thanks for moving the question to a separate thread - I should have thought of that!

Quote:
In my first (and currently only) Matrix run with only JC (my own runner has no decking skill) it worked fine and was very enjoyable.
I agree. After failing to get programs and ESP working with my runner I restored and tried again with no decking skills and that works fine.

Quote:
Asking the possibly obvious: Did you assign your programs to the corresponding slots, i.e. equip them, or are they still in your stash?
That's the problem, they are in my stash, I have a deck in a weapon slot, but I just get the broken circle icon next to them rather than a plus. I thought maybe it was being clever since I didn't have more programs and ESP than the deck could cope with, so I pressed ahead. I connected to the matrix and was able to use the basic 'zap' attack, but no programs or ESP were available. It was good, but not as good as having the extras.

Quote:
Related question: Next to the drop-up(?) buttons is a button which enables some kind of triangle in front of the runner, something like marking a viewing angle. What does this do? The "icon" in the drop-up menu is empty.
That seems to put you in overwatch, just like the shooting skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alcazar wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
That seems to put you in overwatch, just like the shooting skill.
... which I noticed today for the first time, too ... maybe it wasn't there before due to a too low weapons skill.

Regarding "only a couple of opportunities for decking", here is one I found today:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The run in the hospital to find the doctor has an access node in the cafeteria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Regarding "only a couple of opportunities for decking", here is one I found today:
Doh! Just gone past that point with Aruba in the group and missed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
alcazar wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
Doh! Just gone past that point with Aruba in the group and missed it!

Drat, missed that one too. And I play a decker!

I had no issues with decking. Each time I jacked in there was a menu available asking me to pick the programs and ESPs. All of them were available upon entering the Matrix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a little bit unrelated, but please head to
http://videogamegeek.com/geekmod
as there is an (full disclosure: my) image of combat in the Matrix in the queue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
I had no issues with decking. Each time I jacked in there was a menu available asking me to pick the programs and ESPs. All of them were available upon entering the Matrix.
I'm getting the jack-in menu and can pick my programs and ESPs, but none are available in the matrix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it work with JC in chapter "The Digital World"?
Do you have the required skills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Did it work with JC in chapter "The Digital World"?
JC worked fine. I was able to use his programs and ESP. But nothing for my character.

ThomasAH wrote:
Do you have the required skills?
I was allowed to buy a deck and the programs and ESP since I had the pre-requisites, and the jack-in menu let me assign programs and ESP to the deck. So I'm undoubtedly missing something, but I'm not sure what additional skills I'd need, or if I've been allowed to buy stuff I can't use without any warning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. Maybe you can publish a saved game so others can try with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, problem solved, I guess. It looks as though whatever level decking you have on the first run with JC, even he says he's just tagging along in case something bad happens, then you don't get use your programs and ESP. I decided to get decking anyway and was able to use it with no problems with ML at the Brotherhood. I just wish all this had been made blinding clear before I wasted quite a bit of time loading back the first run to see if I could get things to behave. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say decking is a bit underdeveloped. Sure there are points in a game where a decker will come in handy but they really just take a back seat when compared to a Street Samurai or Adept. You just don't feel the pressure of the moment despite fights where you have to cover your decker while he or she runs the matrix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls