Subject: VGGeek of the Week #124 - echelon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great being VGGotW, but all things must come to an end, and I believe it is time to honor one of the unsung heroes of the database, I present to you:

ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

But let's hear it straight from him:

Quote:
I was born in Constantinople in 1967 and moved to Athens, Greece in 1976. My video gaming experience started a few years later in a little game shop which featured an arcade machine - a game whose name I no longer remember. It was such an exhilarating experience that I soon received an Atari 2600 as a birthday gift. What followed was countless weekends of gaming with my best friend at the time. Later, by the mid 80's, a big shop with LOTS of arcade machines kept us company during the after school hours. I was also introduced to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition) in 1983.

I became a regular in yet another, even bigger arcade shop, this time during college, in Memphis, Tennessee. I used to hang out there playing arcades and, being a member of WARS - Wargaming and Roleplaying Society -, I enjoyed an array of other games as well. All this until 1989, when I bought my Nintendo Entertainment System. What an experience that was! I fondly remember playing a variety of exciting games for the next couple of years along with studying and attending science labs! This was when I became infatuated with Koei Co. Ltd..

Once back at home, I purchased a SEGA Master System, later a Sega Genesis, my first PC in 1995 and, finally, a PlayStation 2. I have highly enjoyed management games for many years. Turn-based Military Simulations especially, seem to be my favorite genre. I have also enjoyed other strategy games and some RPGs. Notable examples are the Civilization, Master of Orion, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Heroes of Might and Magic and P.T.O.: Pacific Theater of Operations series.

I seem to enjoy turn-based more than real-time games because of the extra mobility they offer. I have found myself leaving a game for an hour, then returning and finding the game at exactly the same point I left it. Think of doing THAT in Age of Empires or The Sims!! I generally dislike RTS games and haven't played much.

Boardgaming fully replaced roleplaying by 1994. Nevertheless, videogaming, kept on strong on the PC and on PS2 for the next 10 years or so. After 2005, however, I have mostly played casual games on internet browsers, and some MMOs such as Renaissance Kingdoms, Tribal Wars and Lineage II. I did not enjoy this genre much, however and, although I logged in daily, I played only casually.

Well, what else have I been doing in my life? After my undergraduate studies, I also undertook postgraduate studies in the social sciences. I have also owned 2 hobbies and games stores for 12 years. Currently, I am back at the University of Athens, studying English Literature and Linguistics. My progress is decent enough, as I have a GPA of 9.1/10 and have finished with two thirds of the requirements. I also teach English as a Foreign Language along with my wife in our language school in Koropi, Greece.

- What is the worst game you ever played (and why)?

My worst gaming experience actually, was when I played Baldur's Gate in August 1999. After about 10 days in the game, it crashed on me and I lost all the saves as well as all my progress. I was getting fairly close to finishing the game but I never did... Awful experience!

- What is your favorite video game-related memory?

That should be my first game on the NES in 1989. It was the legendary Romance of the Three Kingdoms by KOEI. It was overall great strategic experience. The final battle took over an hour to finish and was a close call.

- How long was your longest single VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?

I haven't generally had exceedingly long video game playing sessions. There were, however, many weekends during the late 80's and early 90's devoted entirely on playing various military simulations and other titles by KOEI, such as Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Nobunaga's Ambition, Uncharted Waters and Liberty or Death.

- What is your current platform of choice?

PC

- What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?

I am currently playing casual browser games on a couple of gaming sites over the internet. This is also what I will be playing in the forseeable future.

- Do you use cheat codes?

I have used cheat codes on the first RTS game I tried, Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. I generally dislike RTS games and haven't been involved in them much.

- What is your favorite contribution (of yours or of another user) to VGG (provide a link, if possible)?

I have spent a considerable amount of time, during the past three years, uploading an array of video games, developers, publishers, series, video game versions and so forth, on the VGG database. My favorites, however, are my video game character uploads. Furthermore, as far as video game title are concerned, my favorite is The Guild 2: Renaissance.

Poll
Which of these 5 games will echelon select as the one game he would keep if he could have no other games the rest of his life?
Destiny of an Emperor
Liberty or Death
Rome: Total War
Uncharted Waters
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
      14 answers
Poll created by Flamin_Jesus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !

My usual questions:

1. What is the strangest video game you have ever played?
2. What's you're favorite meal?
3. What's you're favorite drink?
4. Do you (or have you ever) played Board or RPG Games?
5. Will you congratulate you're BGG and RPGG counterparts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi echelon! I too thought the Romance of the Three Kingdoms game for the NES was fantastic. And PTO!

1. How do you feel about video games being called "the art form of the 21st century"?
2. How did you come up with your user name?
3. From what does your avatar come?
4. What has made your your experiences with MMOs negative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andreas!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations !

My usual questions:

1. What is the strangest video game you have ever played?
2. What's you're favorite meal?
3. What's you're favorite drink?
4. Do you (or have you ever) played Board or RPG Games?
5. Will you congratulate you're BGG and RPGG counterparts?

Thank you Barad! Good to be here!

1. I believe the strangest video game I have played is Bad Mojo, a game in which you play an entomologist who turns into a cockroach as a result of a bad spell at the start of the game. Yuk! So you get to play the entire game as a cockroach. Definitely not for people having cockroach phobia! Even then the game gets disgusting at times, as you get to hang around some nasty, weird, dirty stuff, just like cockroaches do.

2. There are several favorites actually... Some eggplant dishes, also stuffed zucchini and also stuffed green peppers.

3. Cold fruit punch using seasonal fruits - peaches, melon, grapes watermelon etc, this time of year. I do not drink alcoholic beverages.

4. Of course, I have played RPG's - mainly Dungeons & Dragons 1st and 2nd edition from 1983 to about 1995. I am also a devoted boardgamer, having a fair collection of boardgames, a gameroom and, thank Goodness, some available time to get together with friends.

5. Sure, that would be appropriate and expected as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewhodkinson wrote:
Hi echelon! I too thought the Romance of the Three Kingdoms game for the NES was fantastic. And PTO!

1. How do you feel about video games being called "the art form of the 21st century"?
2. How did you come up with your user name?
3. From what does your avatar come?
4. What has made your your experiences with MMOs negative?

Hi Andrew! I agree, fantastic games both!

1. While I do not believe classic art form such as painting, sculpture, poetry, creative writing ect. will cease to exist, video games are highly likely to become a very influential, interactive kind of art - one that was not available until late in the 20th century.
I must say I feel excited, the younger generation even more so, about the implications as well as application of these games in many areas, in education for example. There was a college in Athens where they had been using the video game Capitalism for educational purposes in their Business Administration department. So, in addition to being entertaining, this new art form is highly likely to influence our daily lives more and more in the future.

2. Well, I was trying to think of something that has to do with wargames, and I came up with "echelon" which is an oblique or steplike formation of troops.

3. It is a dolphin of course! My favorite sea mammal which keeps us company when we travel around our beautiful islands.

4. I wouldn't say it was a negative experience but it wasn't a positive one either... I mean that many MMOs really need the player to log in every day, even at specific times during the day, or something really bad will happen. I just will not get into such an obsession, although many people seem to enjoy it. Opinions and tastes vary!...
I concentrate on more casual MMO's, such as Elements, nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! It has been quite a pleasure doing it! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Andreas!

1. What is the most underrated game in your opinion?
2. What would you like to change about the gaming industry?
3. What do you love most about gaming?
4. Given unlimited resources, what game would you like to see developed?
5. What is it about current gaming that has you excited?
6. What do you like most about where you live?
7. Tell us about some of your other hobbies.

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Andreas!

:d10-1: What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
:d10-2: Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
:d10-3: Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
:d10-4: Having fun?
:d10-5: What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
:d10-6: What is your favourite snack?
:d10-7: What is your favourite day of the week?
:d10-8: What is your favourite time of day?
:d10-9: What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
:d10-1::d10-0: What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
:d10-1::d10-1: What is your life-long dream?
:d10-1::d10-2: What is your favourite RPG race/class?

Thank you very much!

:d10-1: Usually yellow or tan.
:d10-2: Spring, the season of rebirth.
:d10-3: I do not play a musical instrument.
:d10-4: When I can.
:d10-5: I didn't have a say in my name's selection, most people don't, but I like my name and I do not foresee changing it.
:d10-6: A veggie sandwich on whole wheat bread with some mayonaise, extra Greek "Katiki" cheese (similar to Philadelphia cream cheese), iceberg lettuce and tomato.
:d10-7: Saturday.
:d10-8: Morning hours.
:d10-9: Probably Mr. Spock but with emotions.
:d10-1::d10-0: Because I may get to make life better for myself, my wife, our pupils and the little animals around here.
:d10-1::d10-1: A second house with a big garden in a nice quite area by the sea.
:d10-1::d10-2: I haven't really had a favorite in the past. I was mostly a DM. If I were to choose now I'd most likely choose a Druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andreas!

1) Star Wars or Star Trek?
2) Two door or four door?
3) CFL or incandescent?
4) Cruel or unusual?
5) Real or imaginary?

Enjoy your week!

Special bonus question, are you working toward the Hall of Fame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston McRoystonface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
This is the Sun - Not an Orange.
mb
Congrats Andreas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Andreas,

congratulations from your RPG Geek counterpart!

Here’s my list of questions for you:

1) What do you think about modern 3D videogames?

2) What’s the one thing you enjoy the most in a videogame?

3) Story, gore or graphics?

4) Do you enjoy the old 2D games?

5) Do you also play iOS games?

6) What is your fondest memory related to videogaming?

7) Which one do you consider your best contribution to Videogame Geek?

8) Do you also play boardgames and/or RPGs?

9) If so, which boardgames and which RPGs?

10) Please list:
a) the five games you’d bring with yourself on a solitary island;
b) the five books you’d bring with yourself on a solitary island;
c) the five movies you’d bring with yourself on a solitary island.

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Congratulations, Andreas!

1. What is the most underrated game in your opinion?
2. What would you like to change about the gaming industry?
3. What do you love most about gaming?
4. Given unlimited resources, what game would you like to see developed?
5. What is it about current gaming that has you excited?
6. What do you like most about where you live?
7. Tell us about some of your other hobbies.

Enjoy your week!

Thank you!

1. I haven't really given much thought to video game ratings. I believe, however, that every game gets its fair share of "likes" and "dislikes", depending on the preferences of the gamers trying it. An overall very good game is highly likely to receive good ratings while a bad one will not live long.

2. While most video games are fun, I'd remove explicit themes, extreme violence and/or gore. I would also like to see more turn-based tactical games created - that's a personal preference of course. Finally, I would resolve all compatibility issues.

3. Gaming is fun and gives joy. Videogaming especially appears to be a modern pastime much like watching a movie or reading a book - maybe not as constructive as reading a good book, highly entertaining nevertheless.

4. I believe I'd go for a modern updated version of Liberty or Death

5. The fact that an array of quality browser games are readily available over the internet.

6. I like Koropi's proximity to many different landscapes. It is a small, fairly quite city close to the big city (about 15 km from the closest suburb of Athens). It is also close to 2 different bays (14 and 17 km respectively), and very close to the wilderness (maybe a few hundred meters from the fields, the mountain etc).

7. Boardgaming, reading classic novels - mostly 19th ce writers presently. Also watching some movies. I do not watch tv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Andreas!

1) Star Wars or Star Trek?
2) Two door or four door?
3) CFL or incandescent?
4) Cruel or unusual?
5) Real or imaginary?

Enjoy your week!

Special bonus question, are you working toward the Hall of Fame?

Thank you Tim!

1. Star Trek.
2. Four Door.
3. CFL.
4. Unusual.
5. Real.

Yes, I am loosely working toward achieving the Hall of Fame. It is a slow process, given the available time I have. Also, I do not know how far I am from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Royston Gamer wrote:
Congrats Andreas:)

Thank you very much Stuart! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Hello Andreas,

congratulations from your RPG Geek counterpart!

Here’s my list of questions for you:

1) What do you think about modern 3D videogames?

2) What’s the one thing you enjoy the most in a videogame?

3) Story, gore or graphics?

4) Do you enjoy the old 2D games?

5) Do you also play iOS games?

6) What is your fondest memory related to videogaming?

7) Which one do you consider your best contribution to Videogame Geek?

8) Do you also play boardgames and/or RPGs?

9) If so, which boardgames and which RPGs?

10) Please list:
a) the five games you’d bring with yourself on a solitary island;
b) the five books you’d bring with yourself on a solitary island;
c) the five movies you’d bring with yourself on a solitary island.

Enjoy your week!

Thank you very much! Greetings to sunny Italy :)

1. I am afraid I am not familiar with 3D videogames... yet. They were bound to appear, especially since 3D movies and TVs have been on the market for some time. I believe they are the next logical step from 2D games and a precursor to holographic games.

2. Their being readily available over the internet at any time and their diversity.

2. A good video game with an immersive storyline has had the ability to keep me interested in it for a long time.

3. Story, then graphics. No gore.

4. Yes, I also enjoy retrogaming sometimes. For example, I tried tried the first generation in Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom early this year. It took a long time to complete due to reduced time availability, and I haven't touched generations 2 or 3 yet, but it was OK.

5. No.

6. Lots of fond memories here... One thing that comes to mind is the final battle in Romance of the Three Kingdoms the first time I played the game. Also, the various completions of Uncharted Waters.

7. My upload of The Guild 2: Renaissance and also my video game character uploads.

8. I regularly play boardgames. I no longer play RPGs.

9. An array of boardgames really. During the past week we have played Rivals for Catan, 4 plays of Kill Doctor Lucky, Save Doctor Lucky, Endeavor, 3 plays of Ninjato, Sequence, and Tenka. Of course, it is vacation time! :) :). I would need at least 3-4 weeks to play this many games from September to June or July.

10a. If it is video games you mean, given that there would be electricity, I would bring the five top games off my Top 10 list and the necessary hardware. If not... I'll have my books:)

10b. I would bring the three books that I have arranged to read next and two extras. Namely:
* The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James
* The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens
* Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
* The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
* On Becoming a Person by Carl Rogers. I've had this one for... 15 years maybe? I've read bits and pieces. Time to finally read it all on the island!

10c. Five movies...
* North by Northwest
* The Quiet Earth
* Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
* My Dinner with Andre
* Home Alone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats, Andreas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
Grats, Andreas!

Thank you very much Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elpida Karagiorga
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Enjoy your week of fame and glory!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! What's the best book you've ever read?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Peter!

Oh boy! That's got to be the toughest question! I woudn't know where to start... To say this book or that book is the best would really be unfair to the others! I would define as "best" a book that I remember a long time, possibly years after reading.

I can list some of the great books I have read. Some excellent classics include:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Captain Michalis by Nikos Kazantzakis
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Gulliver's Travels Part I and IV by Jonathan Swift
Moby Dick by Herman Melville

A fantasy series I read as a teenager which I fondly remember is the Venus series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Other great fantasy creations include A Song of Fire and Ice by George Martin, The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myrmeen wrote:
Congratulations!

Enjoy your week of fame and glory!!

Thank you very much Elpida!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'Day Andreas,

Congratulations!

d10-1 Which games, if any, of the Civilization family have you played?
d10-2 Do you have a preference for turn based or real time?
d10-3 What's the most ancient media that you have used to load a game for playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Giannakou
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS!!! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide