Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
The folks at LoadingReadyRun suggested in a recent Checkpoint episode ( http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sweet-treats ) that we should have a Gift a Game to an Aussie day, to ease the suffering of those who have to purchase games at a higher price "Because screw you, that's why." This day is today or it could've been yesterday, but I'm not sure at this point.

Anyway, I think that's a great idea and we should all go to Steam to do it. I already did ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am prepared to be the recipient of international aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
I added a game to the giveaway geeklist.

http://videogamegeek.com/geeklist/159610/item/2766566#item27...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the unwitting recipient of Krzysztof's generosity, I must express my gratitude. I was trying to make a joke about the notion that life is tough here, but of course it always is for some people everywhere in the world. I'm sure there's even at least one homeless person in Norway, although that might just be that he forgot where he left it.

At the very least though, it is a good time to give any Australian the gift of distraction. We're in the midst of a national election campaign, and anything to tune out all those horrific politicians on all sides is a gift beyond measure. Seriously, it's like being asked whether you want to be punched in the groin or the face, and not having the choice to say no. Voting is mandatory here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
As the unwitting recipient of Krzysztof's generosity, I must express my gratitude. I was trying to make a joke about the notion that life is tough here, but of course it always is for some people everywhere in the world. I'm sure there's even at least one homeless person in Norway, although that might just be that he forgot where he left it.

At the very least though, it is a good time to give any Australian the gift of distraction. We're in the midst of a national election campaign, and anything to tune out all those horrific politicians on all sides is a gift beyond measure. Seriously, it's like being asked whether you want to be punched in the groin or the face, and not having the choice to say no. Voting is mandatory here.

Everything else aside, I google'd your adress info and discovered something incredibly awesome.

Melbourne has a Batman Avenue.

HOLY SHIT MY MIND. IT IS BLOWN.

Any openings in the Melbourne-based Game Design world? Because I really, really want to live there now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:

In fact, it has a whole suburb called Batman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Double in fact, it was founded by (John) Batman, who signed a treaty with the local indigenous people to take possession of the land. It really pissed the Queen off, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Double in fact, it was founded by (John) Batman, who signed a treaty with the local indigenous people to take possession of the land. It really pissed the Queen off, too.

Oh Batman, you have no respect for legal authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Dammit, I knew there was a catch!

Still, I can just erase that info from my brain and still live thinking that it's named after THE Batman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Still, I can just erase that info from my brain and still live thinking that it's named after THE Batman.
You're assuming Bob Kane wasn't inspired by the founder of Melbourne when he was creating the famous Gotham City vigilante.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Yes, Queen Batman then demanded that the region be named after her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:

You're assuming Bob Kane wasn't inspired by the founder of Melbourne when he was creating the famous Gotham City vigilante.

Don't forget that Batman was hurled back through time and lived a large number of Batlives throughout history. John Batman is just one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Since discovering bundles my load of games to play has grown incredibly. These international sales (without borders) are fantastic value for us Aussies.

For example, I was able to pick up Dishonored for $7.50 instead of Steam's $49.99 (now $44.99) price tag. This was still way under Steam's Summer Sale price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! I missed the boat for gift a game day.

The bad thing about Batman Avenue, is that it is pronounce differently, more like Batm'n than Batmaaaaan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
BioShock Infinite is still a high US$79.99!

Now that the AU Dollar is plummetting, prices are even worse.

What's the price for this in USA? in other countries?

Is there a way to see what price different countries pay for the same game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
BioShock Infinite is still a high US$79.99!

Now that the AU Dollar is plummetting, prices are even worse.

What's the price for this in USA? in other countries?

Is there a way to see what price different countries pay for the same game?
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
substitute "us" for other store locations, such as "uk" or "de" if you want to see various European prices. And use "au" to go back to the store you have to buy from.

Or you can use a third party tool, such as
http://www.steamprices.com/au
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Luke....*sniff* You've made me very sad. soblue

Now I can find out how much I'm being ripped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Australian dollars are roughly equivalent to US dollars, right?

I'm just wondering, since video games cost upwards of 100 zloty (Polish currency) on release, but there's around 3 zloty's to a dollar, so the price is more like 33 dollars - if that's the line of reasoning you go with. The truth of the matter is that stuff tends to be more expensive in countries like Poland overall, so say you can get a burger for 5$, but I won't be getting one for 5zł.

That said, it's obvious that if the currency is worth roughly the same, the people who dictate your prices are just being malicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
Up until around two months ago, the Australian dollar sat roughly at parity with the USD. It's recently taken a downward turn though, and is trending towards USD0.80 for every Australian dollar. That just makes things worse for we Steam users, as the currency for the Australian Steam store is USD. So when we see a game like Bioshock Infinite at around USD80, we are now having to pay AUD90-100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Our dollar has actually slipped below parity. But our Steam Store prices are in US dollars! So I pay $80 USD what an American pays $40 USD for. That makes no sense whatsoever for a digitally delivered product! wow

Maybe they are just competing with the rip-off retailers and know that they can charge more because the "bricks and mortar" retail is so much more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sniped*!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do we have a way to bypass this? Can I just flash my Canadian passport and get US prices? Or do I need someone logging in to Steam with a US IP address to get the US prices. Is there a proxy service that does this or is that against Steams TOS?

I checked out the "top rip-offs". Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is $20 in the US and $90 here!!! Woah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:

Our dollar has actually slipped below parity. But our Steam Store prices are in US dollars! So I pay $80 USD what an American pays $40 USD for. That makes no sense whatsoever for a digitally delivered product! wow

Maybe they are just competing with the rip-off retailers and know that they can charge more because the "bricks and mortar" retail is so much more expensive.

Ok, now I get it.

And the realisation is kind of terrible.

Until this changes, I think the Gift a Game to an Aussie day is going to be an annual thing on my part. Of course my wish would be that the need for that occasion is not going to see the next calendar year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:

I'm just wondering, since video games cost upwards of 100 zloty (Polish currency) on release, but there's around 3 zloty's to a dollar, so the price is more like 33 dollars - if that's the line of reasoning you go with. The truth of the matter is that stuff tends to be more expensive in countries like Poland overall, so say you can get a burger for 5$, but I won't be getting one for 5zł.

That said, it's obvious that if the currency is worth roughly the same, the people who dictate your prices are just being malicious.

Sure is. There was, as it happens, a governmental inquiry into such matters just recently. The inquiry's recommendation was that we should learn to spoof location settings to stop getting ripped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
So, do we have a way to bypass this? Can I just flash my Canadian passport and get US prices? Or do I need someone logging in to Steam with a US IP address to get the US prices. Is there a proxy service that does this or is that against Steams TOS?
The simplest solution is to pay a North American VGGer to buy it for you and send it as a gift within Steam. You'll take a small hit from the PayPal fees, but it can still be well worth it.

You can also attempt to buy the games using a US proxy, but I would counsel against that, because as things currently stand, Valve can permanently suspend your Steam account for doing so. Maybe one day laws will catch up with this kind of draconian nature, but for now I'd just say don't do it. The gifting option is wholly legit and doesn't risk your Steam library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |