Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently people are advertising midnight launches for tomorrow night's PS4 release. It seems odd, since my understanding is that there won't be many consoles to be had as they'd almost all been pre-sold.

Who goes to one of these things, especially since it is not at all a sound assumption that you'll get anything out of it. At least if you go to a midnight opening for a movie you're pretty sure you'll get to see the movie. How can you be at all sure you'll be in the lucky 25-or-so people who go home with one of the very first copies of a console that is just out of beta?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done them, but only to pick up a pre-ordered console.

Was first in the queue in Reading, UK to pick up my Wii.

Played it for a couple of hours that evening after getting home, then went into work the next day.

Planning to do the same with my PS4 when it is released here at the end of the month.

I'd be surprised if many people are going to a midnight launch if they haven't pre-ordered, because as you say there are unlikely to be many available for general purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Past history suggests that stories of hardware scarcity tend to be somewhat overblown. I got a Wii at launch, and my "pre-ordering" was a matter of going in the day before to put my name on the list at my local store. The Wii was supposedly fully pre-sold long before then.

It's an old marketing trick. Exceed expectations by setting them low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, they *do* usually run out in *some* places, and in those places people may pay a premium to acquire one from eBay. To me the main reason to attend a midnight launch would simply be reselling. (Not me personally; I don't like shopping in madhouse conditions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never attended one (And I think that up until fairly recently, labor laws wouldn't have permitted such a thing in Germany anyway, although it's starting to become a thing here too, now), but I've certainly waited for the odd midnight unlock on Steam. If you're excited about a launch and have a couple days off, I can see why you'd consider going for it. I suspect that quite a few people are about to take a long weekend, so they might as well get started as early as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Apparently people are advertising midnight launches for tomorrow night's PS4 release. It seems odd, since my understanding is that there won't be many consoles to be had as they'd almost all been pre-sold.

Who goes to one of these things, especially since it is not at all a sound assumption that you'll get anything out of it. At least if you go to a midnight opening for a movie you're pretty sure you'll get to see the movie. How can you be at all sure you'll be in the lucky 25-or-so people who go home with one of the very first copies of a console that is just out of beta?

Funny / sad story depending on your point of view, true story.

The Xbox 360 was in short supply for Christmas, the year before that the Wii was as well. In the past there was marketing to go along with the whole "we aren't sure there is enough so get yours today!" nonsense, but this time it was for real.

The 360 commonly went for double retail price during the holidays, while the Wii was about $100 or $150 more. A friend of a friend was able to secure several 360s doing a myriad of schemes and ended up selling about a dozen over the holidays, making lots of cash along the way.

Then the next year the PS3 is about to be released. Sensing more money this guy actually rents a van, gets 4-5 people to stand in line at the local game store, promises to feed them, and also pays them $100 for their trouble. He called the local place and it was first come first served so he showed up at noon with his posse.

The store owner saw what was happening and changed his mind. They went with a lottery system instead. This guy managed to get two PS3s that night, even though he had 6 tickets.

Then no one wanted a PS3. Demand was very low initially, and quantities were high. The best offer he got was $100 more than retail.

He ended up losing money that day.

I wonder what he is doing this year... I haven't seen or heard from him in 5+ years.

Oh and personally I have went to maybe 3 or 4 midnight releases. Fallout 3, Call of Duty Black Ops, Rock Band, and maybe one more. The Rock Band was cool because it was a contest to win the game for free. The others I just wanted to rush home and play the game until 2 or 3 in the morning. I took the day off of work the next day so I would jump right back on after getting the kids to school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army Community Admin
badge
Hot sauce is life
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Usually a midnight launch is only for people that preordered something.

I've gone to a few. I don't like being out in the day so I'm awake for them, better to go get it at night when there isn't any traffic and it isn't hot out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I did a midnight launch, it was for Windows 95.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine most people there have preordered it, and some people just want it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Past history suggests that stories of hardware scarcity tend to be somewhat overblown. I got a Wii at launch, and my "pre-ordering" was a matter of going in the day before to put my name on the list at my local store. The Wii was supposedly fully pre-sold long before then.

It's an old marketing trick. Exceed expectations by setting them low.

Maybe it's different in the US, but I tried multiple stores at the launch of the Wii, all claiming preorders were gone. I persisted some, but because they were persistent I didn't get a wii for over 2 years.

When I did, I bought it used with a bunch of free VC games on it, and, as is true with all my nintendo consoles, it still works perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Maybe it's different in the US
You may be right. The launch price here was $400. That may have quelled demand somewhat, allowing supply to be more easily balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at the midnight launch for the Dreamcast, but what I bought was Final Fantasy 8.

Unfortunately for me the game is terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I stopped doing them after the Wii. I no longer do midnight releases. Having to get up around 0500 for work everyday kinda knocks that out of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of these latest "next-gen" consoles (that term never gets less amusing from my perspective), I'd definitely not bother. There aren't a bunch of great games or even a lot of games in general for either system and the hardware isn't appealing enough for me to want one for the hardware itself. Plus I'm job-less, so there is that, too.

But I was more interested (by far) in the PS4 over the XBone :::involuntarily snickering:::, until I saw that the PS4 lacks any Media Server capabilities. We heavily use that aspect of our PS3 so I'm no longer that interested in the hardware like I was previously.

So I'll cheerfully look into getting one sometime next fall (2014) when there's a decent selection of games to choose from.

------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely will go to a midnight launch for a heavily anticipated title, simply to avoid the hassles of daylight purchasing (traffic, etc...). Plus, sometimes you do want to play a particular game just that bad. Of course my desire to go to a late-night launch is completely determined by the game itself. I've gone to late-night launches for the past several Call of Duty games, BF3 and BF4, Diablo 3 and that's the last ones I can recall (though I'm sure there were more).

I can't imagine waiting in line for other types of games (Marios, Zeldas, etc...). But each to their own, certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sorensen

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did last September for GTA:V. Never again. There's just something about a 40 something hanging out with 16 year olds at midnight that just seems wrong. I so wanted to yell "You do realize I'm the only one here OLD enough to play this game according to the ESRB?"

I don't even have an iota of interest in the Xbox One or the PS 4 anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
But I was more interested (by far) in the PS4 over the XBone :::involuntarily snickering:::, until I saw that the PS4 lacks any Media Server capabilities. We heavily use that aspect of our PS3 so I'm no longer that interested in the hardware like I was previously.

Yeah - that one is bizarre - you'd expect it to be simple functionality to include at launch (especially given the PC-like architecture).

I understand that Sony has decided to concentrate on gaming - but the great thing about the PS3 was that it was a superb media player and lots of people will currently be using it as their main Blu-Ray player, CD player, catch-up TV viewer and media player in their living room.

Lots of people looking to trade in a PS3 for a PS4 would expect the new console to have at least the same functionality as the old console in this regard. Other people may have been looking to relegate their PS3 to a bedroom or games room, but won't be able to until the PS4 has the same media capabilities as it's predecessor.

Though there are a few rumours that it will be in an upcoming patch. http://gamerant.com/ps4-media-server-features-update/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super hopeful it comes in a later patch. I'm a pretty firm supporter and fan of Sony and their hardware (it's just SO good and I love that they care about being high-tech). As a primarily PC gamer, they feel much more comfortable and familiar to me, hardware & game-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ponghalo wrote:
I did last September for GTA:V. Never again. There's just something about a 40 something hanging out with 16 year olds at midnight that just seems wrong. I so wanted to yell "You do realize I'm the only one here OLD enough to play this game according to the ESRB?"

I'm pretty sure that it is only "best practices", and not the law, that requires clerks to check ID (or ask for it) on sales of M-rated games to people who look suspiciously young. And I doubt that the harried (and probably very tired) clerks at a midnight launch party have that kind of time.

It must be a waking (barely) nightmare to be a worker at one of those launches. Another reason I don't especially like them.

I don't think I'd want to work retail in November or December this year, e\in between two huge launches, several supplementary launches of games, and the usual holiday carnage. Thank goodness I found a job in Medical Records and don't have to deal with all that,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
ponghalo wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it is only "best practices", and not the law, that requires clerks to check ID (or ask for it) on sales of M-rated games to people who look suspiciously young.

Not to derail, but each of those remind me of a story. My wife and I were at a party for my cousin's son a few years ago. We were the only extended family there, and in sort of an awkward middle age range - we were in our early 20s and just married, while my cousin and most of the other attendees were in their 40s with middle school age children. After having nothing really to add to the adult conversation (they were talking about stuff like kids' sports practices), I wandered over to his son and his friends, all roughly 10 years old. They were talking about video games, and I thought that might be more my speed. They started talking about Black Ops, and the thought went through my brain: "you guys are too young to be playing that game". I decided to excuse myself before I said something that would instantly make me lame forever.

The only time I've ever seen someone carded for an M-rated game was when one of my friends tried to buy Half-Life 2 at a Wal-Mart while visiting me at college. He'd put on a fair amount of weight at school and didn't really look like his driver's license photo, and the clerk almost wasn't going to give it to him. I think she eventually relented because I was there (even though I wasn't 21, which was technically how old I'd have to be for their store policy) and because HL2 wasn't new at the time so she figured the odds of him trying to scam were low.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's store policy rather than any kind of law, or at least used to be. I bought Perfect Dark at an EB Games when I was 14 without any trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls