Subject: Geist Distilled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3 2 1 0 days left to submit your Geist Geekcodes. For those that feel intimidated by the event (the main thread is up to 1400 posts!) but still would like some of the amazing microbadges we designed, here is all you need to know:

Download a Inform/Z5 Interpreter for your computer.

Download the game file located here: Geist - Release 20

It takes about 30-45 minutes to obtain the first of 13 microbadges. Fortunately, it's the amazing Alden Manor micro!

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

These are the only commands you need to get that first micro:

N,S,E,W,U,D - Move in the basic directions
TAKE - Pick up an item (e.g. TAKE WHISTLE, TAKE ALL)
LOOK - General look (room description)
EXAMINE - More detail on an item (hugely important in Geist!)
OPEN - Open a door, hatch, lid, etc. (e.g. OPEN DOOR)
PUSH - Move an item by pushing
PULL - Move an item by pulling
PRESS - Touch an Item (TOUCH item also works)

We have an official Geist Hints geeklist which will help you along in your quest if you need it (but try to use them sparingly).

When you're done playing, submit your Geek Code (provided by the game when you QUIT or finish): Geist - Microbadge Redemption Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Geist Distilled - 3 Days Left!
Speaking of intimidation: I don't think it's 1400 pages, but 1400 postings. Still impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should REALLY find the time to start this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
I should REALLY find the time to start this.
If you ever loved Interactive Fiction or wanted to give it a try, JUST DO IT, now!

Geist is a very-well crafted text adventure with a lot of ambience, wit, and boardgamegeek flavour. It simply doesn't get much better

By the way, I would like to express sincere thanks to all the dev team for putting together such a gem. You did an outstanding job!

Excuse me, but I've got to go back to the microbadge hunt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played around 1 third of the adventure, so little time right now. I will finish it tomorrow no matter what!

Thanks a lot Dave thumbsup

JC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Walters
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent more time than I planned on trying to complete this but when I realized I was getting close to finishing I didn't want it to end! Great, great job by the dev team - thanks for putting this all together! If you haven't tired it yet, do it! You won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
Read the rules
badge
Normal is boring
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:

EXAMINE - More detail on an item (hugely important in Geist!)

You can use X instead of EXAMINE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to do this soon! I love text adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got started. Took a little while to remember how to play (it's like Zork). Made it to 1st room microbadge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also get the code by using SCORE. That allows you to submit a code but still keep working at getting more rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
You can also get the code by using SCORE. That allows you to submit a code but still keep working at getting more rewards.
This works well. However, the author has asked to limit the number of submission so you should try to limit the number of codes submitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this one:
Quote:

> turn tv off
You turn the television off. It's a rare skill that you're justifiably proud of - most of your peers haven't the knack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god. I didn't know you could "EXAMINE". I wonder if I would have finished in less moves...

For the record, would "LOOK [ITEM]" have accomplished the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Oh my god. I didn't know you could "EXAMINE". I wonder if I would have finished in less moves...

For the record, would "LOOK [ITEM]" have accomplished the same thing?
Yes, it should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool. Thanks for doing this, I had a blast. Made me go look for the Hitchihiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure I never finished years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a lot of fun and I laughed many times, only occasionally pulling my hair out trying to figure out a puzzle. The hair will grow back, but fun and humor must be had while they are offered.

The old timers who stopped having hair awhile ago... its definitely worth the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Ok cool. Thanks for doing this, I had a blast. Made me go look for the Hitchihiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure I never finished years ago.

OPEN EYES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
You have:
that thing your aunt gave you which you don't know what it is
no tea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
You have:
that thing your aunt gave you which you don't know what it is
no tea
"no smartphone" is in direct homage to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question that may have been answered in one of the many other posts so my apologies for the repetition. But, do we submit codes as we go along for each one or for the last one that we receive (which will "recognize" that we have received the other ones)?

Also, as I have saved the game to go back later to play, is there anyway to re-look at the codes that I have already received? I ask this because, although I did write them down as I received them, there was one that I was not sure it was a "U" or a "V" in the code but cannot remember now which one that was.

Thanks,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Question that may have been answered in one of the many other posts so my apologies for the repetition. But, do we submit codes as we go along for each one or for the last one that we receive (which will "recognize" that we have received the other ones)?
You can submit more than one code - but I'm asking for folks to try and reduce the number of codes submitted (each new microbadge you earn will yield you a code that includes all previous micros you've earned - so submitting once when you're done playing is typical).

Quote:
Also, as I have saved the game to go back later to play, is there anyway to re-look at the codes that I have already received? I ask this because, although I did write them down as I received them, there was one that I was not sure it was a "U" or a "V" in the code but cannot remember now which one that was.
At any time you can type SCORE to see what you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks to all who made this happen - liked it a lot!
I was a little bit busy at the beginning of January, so missed the start. Still was able to finish it by the 14th, yay!
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Still, pissed off by Bob's reaction. Couldn't you guys put an alternative version of him into the game? Even I was taller in the game world, but this old bastard was exactly like in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Geist Distilled - 1 Day Left!
Im still trudging through it. I MUST SAVE THE OWLBEAR!!! He's so cute and misunderstood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:

You can submit more than one code - but I'm asking for folks to try and reduce the number of codes submitted (each new microbadge you earn will yield you a code that includes all previous micros you've earned - so submitting once when you're done playing is typical).

Im not done playing but can I submit my code now and if I get another award or finish the game, submit again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
wavemotion wrote:

Im not done playing but can I submit my code now and if I get another award or finish the game, submit again?
Yes, that's totally fine.

26 hours left! We have given out over 5000 microbadges now for this event. Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |