Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1361 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [55] | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD Master List rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
A handy list of all the VGG QOTD topics, in case you happen to miss one. I'll try to update this every day, now that it has been created... but sometimes life happens.

Please feel free to post any questions you would like to see appear in this thread: VGG QOTD Question Thread! Want a question asked? Post it here!.

Here's the master list: VGG QOTD Master List by Month

The list was getting so long, that it was time to move it from this thread. I have made it into a geeklist organized by month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
A couple of thoughts about this new initiative:

What do you think about having a new forum folder for the QOTD postings? I can see a few benefits that would flow from this. It would help keep all the QOTD's organized in one place (existing threads could be moved to the new folder by an admin). It would also help keep the General folder from being overrun with similarly titled threads (which would have been less of a problem if we had more daily message traffic). In addition, because of the low volume of posts to the forums, having a QOTD specific forum would help keep General discussion threads that might not receive as much traffic in the short term, but might still be of interest over more than a day or two, from being obscured or pushed down.

Also, after seeing all these in one place, I am wondering if the nomenclature you are using in the subject line might benefit from being streamlined a bit. Certainly the "VGG" portion can be done away with, as that is where we are. ;-) Seems like a cleaner and simpler way of tagging the subject lines would simply be "QOTD" and the number of the question, i.e. "QOTD 1" (or 0001, if leading zeroes are required for some reason). As you are probably aware, if you decide to change from your current subject line nomenclature, you can also change this in prior posts by editing the original post in the thread which will allow you to change the subject line.

Perhaps you are unaware of the RPGG QOTD. Those do not have a header in front of them, and since I subscribe to them, the start of each would be indistinguishable in my subscriptions (until I read the actual text beyond QOTD, but some days I don't have enough time for that.)

As I'm using the RPGG QOTD as an example, I just followed how those are dated - and numbers mean nothing to me, but words do. I rather like have a bit of the date in the title.

The RPGG QOTD are also just in the general folder of RPGG threads so that anyone can stumble across them and find them. They seem to have no problems over there with general threads and QOTD threads sharing the same space - and they have much more activity than over here... (hopefully VGG will someday catch up!)

While I appreciate your post, as it shows are you interested in these, I see no problems with how I'm running things, and I don't plan on changing the format anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do appreciate VGG being in the title since I as well follow RPGG. It really is a very nice distinction for me and helps me keep my head on straight. I need all the help I can get!

As far as the date or the number...I actually think a straight number system does make more sense in the long term. But since Carrie is taking her time to handle things I'm okay with her doing whatever she wants.

Thanks for reviving the QOTD, Carrie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Renwmn wrote:
I really do appreciate VGG being in the title since I as well follow RPGG. It really is a very nice distinction for me and helps me keep my head on straight. I need all the help I can get!

+1, I like to see in the title which domain's question it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much like seeing the dates, because otherwise I lose track of what QOTD we're on. I couldn't tell you right now whether we're near QOTD 12 or 24, but I could easily guess the date within 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renwmn wrote:
Thanks for reviving the QOTD, Carrie!

You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
This list is a good idea, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a master list of video games. I have tried a few times to make some, many in fact on VGG itself...

Library of unplayed games
Frumpish's Wii to get list.
My video game collection
Frumpish organizes his collection by game length.

But I don't keep up with them. I think it ends up being more work adding games to the list, and taking them off than I want to do.

I really like how Steam keeps a master list. I don't have to add a game to it, when I get a game there it just shows up. So nice.

I really wish I could transfer my hard drive games, my GoG games, my Uplay games, my Amazon games, my Origin games, and my physical games all to one list and play them there.

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear The Maverick,

I'm sorry you think that my reasons for doing things are not as valid as your proposed changes.

Perhaps you read my post as flippant, I'll give you that. Perhaps you think I'm "too new here" - I'll even grant you that. Compared to when you joined the site, I am new.

You have given your reasons as to how you would do the QOTD differently, and whatever you may think, I did read them. And I gave you my reasons for why I do things the way I do.

I'm not going to change based on the feedback of one person. And especially not for one user who has never posted to a single VGG QOTD thread. Should more users express the desire for changes, or perhaps if a poll was created for changing certain things, I would certainly look into it.

But the truth is - since I'm running this, I have the final say. Just as if you were running these, you could name them however you saw fit.

I don't know who you think I am, but I am just a user - I have two jobs and neither one is related to this site. I am not an admin. I am not a moderator. I have no power to create folders. If you want to escalate this to an admin to get a special folder for QOTD, by all means, do so. I see no reason for a separate folder, but clearly you do. Should a folder be made and the threads be moved, I would live with that, but I cannot make the change myself.

Sincerely,
Caroline
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
A couple of thoughts about this new initiative:

What do you think about having a new forum folder for the QOTD postings? I can see a few benefits that would flow from this. It would help keep all the QOTD's organized in one place (existing threads could be moved to the new folder by an admin). It would also help keep the General folder from being overrun with similarly titled threads (which would have been less of a problem if we had more daily message traffic). In addition, because of the low volume of posts to the forums, having a QOTD specific forum would help keep General discussion threads that might not receive as much traffic in the short term, but might still be of interest over more than a day or two, from being obscured or pushed down.

I'm also concerned about this issue. It's hard enough getting responses to general questions via front page visibility, but the General portion of the home page is now overrun with QOTD. I like the questions, but it shouldn't be at the expense of something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what is at issue here is that established users have gotten used to contributions on VGG spending large amounts of time on the front page, and that has come to be normative. So now that there is a considerable upsurge in content it is disruptive to peoples expectations.

I don't think any content has a preordained right to be on the front page for any set amount of time. If one takes a look at BGG for example content from less than twelve hours ago is off the front page if one sorts by "recent". If one would like to view threads outside of the QOTD, those users can page over to find them. I would scarcely consider that "hidden".

As for a new module (if that is what is being discussed) having more or less visibility, my guess is that if a new module were created, users would have to edit their front pages in order to see it. And if they did not do so, that content would indeed be nearly invisible to them (outside of a subscription link taking them there).

If we are talking about just a new folder, then the QOTD threads would still be in the same module, unless that folder was placed in a module outside of General Video Gaming (which is where QOTD belongs). So I guess I fail to see how creating a new folder for QOTD would make a difference for the other content being on the front page or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks frumpish, you've got a very good points in your post. I've subscribed to "General Video Gaming" and every post anyone makes in there, pops up in my subscriptions. That way I won't miss anything interesting or useful. I agree that the front page should be for the most recent posts and no content should have a preordained right to be on the front page for any set amount of time. If there's very little activity beyond QOTD, then those will be the most visible part of the front page.

From my point of view more activity is a very good thing and I've already seen very interesting discussions sprung from the VGG QOTDs. So I'm really happy Carrie started the VGG QOTD. Hopefully the questions will also draw more people in VGG. It's a very easy way to start contributing, even for those that are usually only lurking. I'm sure we want the VGG community to grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's question:

VGG QOTD Mar 12: Does the theme of a video game matter to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 13: What days of the week or times of the day do you do your gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 14: What is you favorite rivalry in a video game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 15: What feature do you think Steam is lacking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 16: Do you like having interactive cut-scenes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 17: Does the gender of your character matter when you play games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 18: Who is your favorite female video game protagonist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 19: Who is you favorite male video game protagonist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 20: Who is your favorite villain in a video game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 21: Who is your favorite non-gender-specific video game protagonist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 22: What's your favorite tentacle video game character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 23: The inventory dilemma – how much space do you require?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG QOTD Mar 24: What do you snack on while playing games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [55] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.