Subject: So...who's picking up Titanfall tomorrow night!?? :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if any of my fellow VGGers are picking up Titanfall (at all) and/or tomorrow night at the midnight launch?

Also, what platform are you going with?

Since I have a really beefed up PC I'm going to go with that platform - that and I absolutely can't stand to play FPS games with a gamepad.

I'm pretty stoked for this one!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. Even if my gaming nights would be filled with gaming instead swapping diapers I doubt I would buy it. So far I haven't seen what is so special about the game. Perhaps I haven't read enough. Right now I think it is some CoD-deathmatch with some overpowered mechs. Am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I am. I already have too many FPS games on my plate:

Battlefield 3
Natural Selection 2
Red Orchestra 2
Planetside 2
Arma 2
Chivalry

It does look interesting though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
I don't know. Even if my gaming nights would be filled with gaming instead swapping diapers I doubt I would buy it. So far I haven't seen what is so special about the game. Perhaps I haven't read enough. Right now I think it is some CoD-deathmatch with some overpowered mechs. Am I wrong?

Just find and watch the E3 video of gameplay on YouTube.

It's going to be a big deal, no doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got it preordered for the Xbox One. Looking forward to it. Picking it up sometime tomorrow. I don't really see the point of waiting in line to get it at midnight, I'll be too tired to play it that late anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't bring myself to pay full price these days, knowing that if I wait a year or so I can get most games for $5-10.

The only exceptions to this for me in the past year or so have mostly been Kickstarters that I only chipped in $20 or so for anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear ya, Kent.

Luke, I don't blame you at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be personally, no, but a friend of mine is, and we're both stoked. Oh, if only my PC was up to snuff....

But yeah, the beta was quite impressive to me. The Titans really add an interesting third dimension to what would otherwise be a flat first-person shooter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched the E3 multiplayer trailer and am still not thrilled. Looks like a generic CoD clone. Too twitchy for my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be watching the wrong video, then.

But you're not wrong, in that it's going to be twitchy - nearly all modern shooters are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I was always more a fan of Arma-like coop shooters (but with better interfaces of course) than those which just consist of run&gun and those silly point popups on the screen where every second of playing is just the same. But those games are very rare. That was one of the reasons why I liked the Battlefield series: you could get out of the main action and still do something useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brought my trade-in games and picked it up tonight! WOOT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Brought my trade-in games and picked it up tonight! WOOT!
Enjoy it!
Perhaps you can share some captured gameplay with us later on and convert some heathens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't consider you "heathens" if you didn't pick up the game!

I'll definitely use the Nvidia Shadowplay and post some videos when I get a chance!

Thanks for the kind words, Phil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the first thing I'll say about the game, with my limited exposure to all of the training missions and some of the Campaign missions, is that THIS is the type of initial impression and experience that I had expected to get from Battlefield 4 but didn't.

WOW.

Everything about this game feels perfect (to me), such as:

Controls = Tight and perfectly weighted and responsive.
Graphics = Just right. Crisp, stylish but not overwhelming or too stylized and distracting.
Overall polish = Nice. Great voice work, detailed textures, good music
Weapon "feel" = Also perfect and fun. Things felt like they aimed where I wanted them to aim and hit with the weight that I expected them to - unlike BF4 (not to pick on it but it's the best comparison I can make right now)
Maps = Just as always with the IW team (now the Respawn Team), they're fantastic and perfect.

The Titans feel just right and the combat balance is also, near perfect regardless of which way you're playing as - pilot/soldier or Titan itself.

AND you can play the game on PC with your controller, if you so choose (my younger son plays on mainly a gamepad, for now, so it was a pleasant surprise that it worked). Also, in a huge nod to PC gamers, there's an adjustable FOV slider. Thank you, Respawn!

I need to play a LOT more (and I want to!) before I could write up a review but I can already tell this is a top-tier game and I'm likely to rate it in the mid-90's, possibly higher.

Pics and Vids to come and then, inevitably, my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
and then, inevitably, my review.

The last is what I'm waiting for

(Won't pick up the game myself; I'm pretty done with FPSses in general, and few things can convince me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
wytefang wrote:
and then, inevitably, my review.

The last is what I'm waiting for

(Won't pick up the game myself; I'm pretty done with FPSses in general, and few things can convince me.)

Thank you, Simon. I appreciate your support.

I can agree that FPS games are not for everyone, that's for sure. I've noticed that they appeal the most to more competitive gamers or to those types of gamers who just enjoy an experience and aren't always worried about their own performance. For me, I have the most fun when I'm not letting myself get too worked up if I'm not finishing in 1-3rd place. When I start expecting myself to do better, I start having less fun because I'm not (anymore) necessarily a top-tier player by any stretch of the imagination.

I have an estranged friend who just decided one day to quit playing them, even though he was pretty decent at them. I think he associated playing them with being younger for some reason even though it doesn't have to be the case. I secretly suspect that he simply disliked not doing as well at them as he used to do so figured that he'd quit and just call them a younger man's game. He's pretty competitive even though I'm not sure he really realized it.

I can't give up on them because (for me) they're the most immersive and enjoyable experiences when done right because of the perspective. Plus, I don't get to shoot much in real life (need to get back to the range someday) so it's fun and therapeutic for me. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought Towerfall instead. Until they fix their crazy audio issue with Titanfall it is a no buy for me, I just do not have that much spare harddrive space. Well that and none of my gaming friends are buying it until later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, I figured everyone has massive amounts of free space these days with HDs being so cheap and huge for the past several years.

It didn't bug me at all - BUT because my internet is annoyingly slow, I did make sure to buy a physical copy for a fast and easy install.

They recently explained on several sites (RPS, Shacknews to name a few) why they felt they needed to do a larger install and it made sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making it optional would have been the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Making it optional would have been the better choice.
Agreed. Especially given that;

A. It's only supposed to improve performance on dual-core machines, and does not offer any performance boost to higher specced hardware. And;

B. It installs the audio for every supported language in the game as part of the compulsory install.

I feel that this all means that the user should be free to decide if they might benefit from the performance bump based on their machine specs, and opt to retain compressed audio if they feel their HDD space is at more of a premium. Especially for people who've opted to do most of their gaming off an SSD. 49GB worth of SSD is not chump change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear those points but again, I can't help but think that most people have pah-lenty of HD space and/or (and I know first-hand of many of people in this latter category) are more than willing to move or delete programs in order to free up space for newer, hotter games on their SSDs.

I'm not so quick to fault 'em just because it was, admittedly done for a helpful purpose rather than what's normally the case, that it was an oversight or something like that.

If this is the only gripe with this game, they're doing really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. The most I did was I happened to see a large cardboard standup at the entrance of a Microsoft store. I don't even own an Xb1, and I doubt my PC could run it at medium settings*. Up until now, I had no idea it was a FPS.

* Curious, so I checked... Windows Exp Ind is 5.9
AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series. Probably a 512MB or 1GB video card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls