Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG Bugs

Subject: Hardware Search rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm new to using VGG, so sorry if this has already been brought up.

If I do a "Hardware" search for Nintendo it only brings up items with Nintendo in the name such as the Nintendo 64.

It does not bring up the Wii for example. This is wrong, it should bring up the Wii. I have to do a hardware search for "Wii" to get the Wii.

I have checked the Nintendo page and the Wii (amongst other things) is listed under its Hardware.

I went into Corrections on the Wii pages but can find no way to link it to Nintendo other than under Manufacturer (it is already listed).

So either your search system is broken somehow or there's a way I can edit entries to help make the search better but I as yet do not know what that thing is.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sam / Bifford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that whoever entered the Hardware either chose to include the manufacturer in the title or they chose not to. And that is why there is no coherent policy.

I think it is worth discussing putting the manufacturers name in front of the hardware title so the Hardware search can be used in the manner described.

One issue is that some of these feel natural including the manufacturer. Like Nintendo Wii. But Microsoft Xbox One feels clunky as does SNK Neo Geo.

I think it likely has to do with how the product was marketed.

Note that I don't think it is wrong that the Hardware search can't be used in this manner. But it is interesting that someone would choose to use the search this way, and it would not be terribly difficult to modify titles so they are 1) Consistent and 2) More searchable.

Further examples

GameCube is likewise not showing up in the Nintendo search.

None of the Xbox consoles come up when using Microsoft in the Hardware search.

None of the Playstation consoles come up when using Sony in the Hardware search.

The Dreamcast does not come up when searching Sega under Hardware.

None of the Turbo-Grafx consoles come up when searching either for NEC.

None of the Neo Geo consoles come up when searching for SNK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
My guess is that whoever entered the Hardware either chose to include the manufacturer in the title or they chose not to. And that is why there is no coherent policy.

I think it is worth discussing putting the manufacturers name in front of the hardware title so the Hardware search can be used in the manner described.

One issue is that some of these feel natural including the manufacturer. Like Nintendo Wii. But Microsoft Xbox One feels clunky as does SNK Neo Geo.

I agree that would look awful in the general scheme of things. However I do think an extra data field in the items would help, or even just changing the search parameters so that a hardware search would incorporate the company who made them.

Quote:
I think it likely has to do with how the product was marketed.

Note that I don't think it is wrong that the Hardware search can't be used in this manner. But it is interesting that someone would choose to use the search this way, and it would not be terribly difficult to modify titles so they are 1) Consistent and 2) More searchable.

The reason I didn't search for Developers, but instead used Hardware was because then it brings up several billion Games under that search. So "Nintendo" would bring up ALL the games as well as hardware. I actually ended up doing this and then setting the results to "hardware" but that's one more step than I feel should be needed.

If (as I was) I'm searching for Nintendo Hardware to add to my "Owned/Previously Owned" list then I'm naturally going to select the Hardware search and type in Nintendo rather than first doing "N64" then doing "Wii" then doing ####. That's just long-winded!

Quote:
Further examples

GameCube is likewise not showing up in the Nintendo search.

None of the Xbox consoles come up when using Microsoft in the Hardware search.

None of the Playstation consoles come up when using Sony in the Hardware search.

The Dreamcast does not come up when searching Sega under Hardware.

None of the Turbo-Grafx consoles come up when searching either for NEC.

None of the Neo Geo consoles come up when searching for SNK.

All perfect examples of why I think that search parameter needs changing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this further.

First of all this is not a bug. It is a suggestion.

Second of all we are in good company not to list the manufacturer name in front of the video game title.

On Wikipedia, GameFAQs and Moby Games the Wii U is listed as Wii U and not the Nintendo Wii U.

In fact more often than not on the other three sites the consoles DO NOT list the manufacturer.

At this point I would argue that to be inline with other online databases we should eliminate the manufacturer from the title of the hardware in the majority of cases.

GameFAQs

Wikipedia

Moby Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.