David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion in Invert Y Axis? reminded me how I once had an endless discussion with a friend over what the sorting indicators N and S mean.

Poll
What does the symbol mean?
▲ means ascending, ▼ means descending
▲ means descending, ▼ means ascending
      22 answers
Poll created by Kempeth

Poll
How do you expect the items to be ordered?
▲ means ascending (lower valued items on top of the list), ▼ means descending
▲ means ascending (higher valued items on top of the list), ▼ means descending
▲ means descending (lower valued items on top of the list), ▼ means ascending
▲ means descending (higher valued items on top of the list), ▼ means ascending
      12 answers
Poll created by Kempeth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I've really thought about it before as I guess I'm used to sorting without such symbols... I did instinctively vote for the top entry... /\ Ascending \/ descending, but on reflection I can see why there might be debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it done both ways, although I don't really understand the logic of the second way. So I voted for the first option, but my opinion is that the real solution is just to remove those silly arrows. Nobody really looks at them, not just because they're inconsistent from one program to the next, but also because what the user is really interested in and looking at is the content of the column, not the shape of the arrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll in spoiler doesn't work; if I try clicking an option, the spoiler hides again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they both just meant "keep clicking this until it does what you want."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls