Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are probably a number of games that fall into this category, but the one that sticks in my mind because I've been playing it a lot recently is Long Live The Queen. If the music wasn't so repetitive, and didn't drone in endless repetition while I play, it probably wouldn't be so bad. But it takes me out of the game and distracts me while I try to unlock everything (by making charts of all the options I've tried, and what I should try next...) that I prefer to play the game with no sound at all.

Another would be The Four Crystals of Trazere, where the bard's midi music is so annoying (and on old computers could not be turned off) that I'm actually thrilled that you can't hear it at all on modern machines. My mom used to make me play the game with the door to the computer room shut so that she couldn't hear it...

So, are there any games that have music so annoying you prefer to play them without sound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any game that forced me to turn off the music. I've done it to listen to my own music for a change, and I've done it to appease other people who were annoyed by the music.
My girlfriend cannot handle music in most games...especially anything from Japan or anything that came on a cartridge originally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... most non-immersive games. Whether it's a CCG like SolForge, or a tower defense game in flash, or whatever, I'm likely to mute the music. Obviously, music stays on for my RPGs, but if a game is just a timekiller, or anything windowed, I've probably muted the music -- especially if it's a casual flash game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quake The music and aggressively orange world drove me away....

I silence Master of Magic, and probably a few other games with uninspired MIDI. Most games of that era I played without a sound card. But mostly, I like game soundtracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1942's music is pretty hard for me to listen too now. In the arcade it sounds like they use a coach's whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's annoying and there's the option (and there usually is these days), I turn off the music only, since I generally prefer hearing the other game's sounds.

I turn off the music for most racing games. They often come with awful hip hop, rock, techno, or pop from various real artists.

For a specific game, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 comes to mind. We changed its music to a Guilty Gear soundtrack really early, and it was a huge improvement. Unfortunately, you can't change the music for places like character customization, and the song there is so annoying and drills into your brain, so we mute it.

I have to turn off voices more than music. The US doesn't really value the voice acting industry, and people seem to think having a lot of voicing raises the value of a game, but so often it's done terribly to the point where I'd rather most US games just didn't bother.

If I'm playing a Japanese game and it has a Japanese language option, I always switch to that. Japan has a ton of voice actors, and they're often pretty good (and yes, I can tell the difference). Then I'm just annoyed at how bad the translation is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Adventures of Shuggy, among other problems, had music that was not necessarily bad, but it was just not quite fitting. I suspect it was all public domain, but I mean... they could have selected it a little better. But whatever. Because that's not the worst.

The utter worst is (get ready boardgamers, you know it's coming) the music from Goko's Dominion Online, by far the worst thing I've ever heard in a game. I could try to excuse it for being a board game translated into a video game online, but frankly, I would have been happier with the original Isotropic interface with no sounds at all except to alert you that it's your turn (which, by the way, happened when the window was out of focus, unlike this dominion, which seems to come to a standstill when you don't have that window open).

I mean, the only reason I play it is because it's a (the only) way to play Dominion online. That's not even the only problem I have with it, but that's all I'm going to talk about here because that's all you asked

UPDATE:

Joke Answer: DDR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In January, I wrote on the Beaten 2014 list, regarding DmC: Devil May Cry (which I otherwise liked):

Quote:
The music was this screeching cacophony that I had to mute just so I could play the game. I'm not sure if the music improved past the first mission, because I couldn't imagine the risk of finding out was worth it. It was atrocious. I don't know who Combichrist are, but they need to be prevented from ever doing something like this again.

...If I recall, I was not a fan of the music. I had it on mute the whole time.

(It's worth noting that, just today, TheWulffman posted the game on the beaten list, and commented that the music was the perfect soundtrack to the game. ...I think it's reasonable to infer he and I likely have different musical tastes - but to each, their own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
Then there's music you CAN'T turn off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I disable all music as it distracts from the game and (if multiplayer) voice chat. It also ruins the immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any game with so annoying music, but there are some games, which I play either in a window while listening to some Youtube videos, or games I like to play with another music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play most games with the sound very low or off unless it's necessary for plot or gameplay reasons. Sports games usually have pretty obnoxious soundtracks.

The music in Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice is okay, but it is really repetitive, so that usually gets turned off too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns   The Fearsome Foes  The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.             AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I turn off the in-game music in most games, almost out of habit, for a number of reasons.

1) Often, the music just gets annoying after a while. This goes all the way back to the old days with the generally awful MIDI "music", but continues to be a problem to this day.
2) In many games, the music doesn't really fit with what's happening on-screen. Peaceful music during a shoot-out, or crazy upbeat music during a calm/rest period can really break the mood. Many game developers over the years have come up with dynamic systems that attempt to adjust the music to match what's happening, but with very mixed success.
3) Sometimes it's just plain too loud. Much of my game-playing happens after the kids are in bed, so by necessity I usually have to keep the overall volume relatively low. If the music is playing, it's very easy to miss potentially important sound effects.
4) Often I prefer to have other music on instead - radio, iPod, or even the TV. With multiple sources of music/sound going at once, it quickly becomes a massive jumble of sound and something needs to give.

The exceptions where I prefer to have sound are some older console games - the Super Mario and MegaMan series in particular, but that's probably just a case of nostalgia beating out the four items above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently by trying to play through the GRID series of games. While I generally don't like the presentation (menus, voiceovers, music, frankly any of it) of either of the two games I've played in the slightest, I've persisted because some of the actual racing has been good. But sometimes the songs that are tied to a given race are so ear-bleedingly bad that a 4-5 minute race's worth of them is tormenting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The music is not annoying in Race the Sun, but it's an endless runner type of game with the same music playing every run. After a while I get tired of it and turn it off and play some other music in the background.

I usually play music in the background for games that don't have music, too. e.g. Transcendence and Quarantine (1994). The music really added to my enjoyment of those two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. This game's soundtrack took me by surprise. I was expecting some epic choirs, drums and strings, you know, the regular middle-age stuff like in Medieval Total War, or Stronghold, or heck, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms.

Instead I got this weird mix of electronica, C&C2-era Frank Klepacki and unbearable faux etno-music. All of it sounding very much like it was composed in the mid-90s instead of the late 90s when the game actually came out (this was a time of great musical improvements in video games, but AoE2 must've missed the memo). The first song here was quite enough to make me mute the soundtrack.

It's the rare case of a soundtrack that I couldn't bare.

The sound design in that game was generally pretty poor. As was the game itself in my opinion. I really dislike this supposed classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been annoyed enough with a games soundtrack to turn the music off. However, the music in Minecraft has brought me close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the music more annoying on older games and would often turn the music off while playing. At times I put my own music on to listen to what I want. Older JRPGs could get particularly repetitive with music especially when you are grinding to level up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidding wrote:
I've never been annoyed enough with a games soundtrack to turn the music off. However, the music in Minecraft has brought me close.

I love the music in Minecraft. I find it really relaxing. Even the version done by Smooth McGroove was good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
I just discovered one: Assassin's Creed Pirates. Love the sea chanteys. Hate the constant same theme song when you're sailing. I wish you could turn off the music but keep the crew songs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
Aarontu wrote:
I usually play music in the background for games that don't have music, too. e.g. Transcendence and Quarantine (1994). The music really added to my enjoyment of those two games.

Funny you mention that. At one time, I decided to re-visit the SSI / D&D Gold Box games. When they were brand new I was a kid and not really a D&D fan, and I found myself having to struggle with them. During my replays, I fell back on the Conan (1982) soundtrack to fit the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just, for reasons which aren't entirely clear, got reminded of the soundtrack to Railroad Tycoon II, which is essentially 2 hours of instrumental blues. Fine if you are playing levels set in the southern US, but a little jarring for the levels set in Japan or 1850s England...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to listen to CDs while I played video games.
Now I pretty much only listen to the accompanying music, though less often with browser games, there I still listen to my iTunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sorensen

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't ask why I got "Monopoly" for the Xbox 360 but do yourself a favor put it on MUTE, trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls