Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Art Style - Lifted from PC Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. To me it makes sense to use the same art as the video game to make it more recognisable.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb

If you're going to tie something into an IP, you don't go changing recognizable things. For one, the IP holders might simply not allow FFG to do this, and for the other, you're paying them money to be able to use the artwork & theme.

If you're not going to do that, save yourself the money, and name the game something else.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
I see where you're coming from. I love the painted art from the Star Wars LCG. Painted art for X-COM would have been cool too, but the video game art is still good, and it was certainly less expensive to make.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nisses wrote:

If you're going to tie something into an IP, you don't go changing recognizable things. For one, the IP holders might simply not allow FFG to do this, and for the other, you're paying them money to be able to use the artwork & theme.

If you're not going to do that, save yourself the money, and name the game something else.

hm. Lord of the Rings games are (thankfully) made without reference to the movies (yes, I know there's been a time when it was very common to have the tie-ins). Note how The Battle of Five Armies doesn't use the look from the Hobbit movies for a current movie/game pair.

So, I think the question is quite legitimate. That being said, I've only played the "old" XCOM parts (original, TftD and Apocalypse), so I don't mind the look and think it's quite fitting as well
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus productions costs are lower to use already existent art.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that original art would have been cool other boardgames use art from the video game that inspired them, Resident Evil Deck Building Game for one.

Now that I'm thinking about it, did FFG's Gears of War: The Board Game use original art? I'll openly admit I haven't looked much at it or the video game, but it might have set a precedent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Now that I'm thinking about it, did FFG's Gears of War: The Board Game use original art? I'll openly admit I haven't looked much at it or the video game, but it might have set a precedent.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1097271/gears-war-board-game

Lifted. However as pointed out FFG's GoT and SW LCG have original art so go figure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sproyd wrote:
joetaco wrote:
Now that I'm thinking about it, did FFG's Gears of War: The Board Game use original art? I'll openly admit I haven't looked much at it or the video game, but it might have set a precedent.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1097271/gears-war-board-game

Lifted. However as pointed out FFG's GoT and SW LCG have original art so go figure.

I'm guessing the reasons for this are:

- GoT has no source material art to draw from.

- SW doesn't have enough source material shots to draw from for everything that FFG are likely to create, so they have to go with drawn art.

Neither XCOM nor GoW suffer from either of these problems, so they use the source material art.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sproyd wrote:

I really love the art style and am a big fan of the PC games, including the Firaxis one, but thought it would be cool if they did their own original take on the artwork and style - like with the FFG Game of Thrones games. I know with GoT FFG published these originally before the HBO series but its cool seeing different art takes on the same source material.

If you license a book without art you have to make it up. If you license an existing property with an existing art asset portfolio, and style guide, you use as much of that as you can to retain the value. It's possible the GOT games you reference was licensed from the book series, not the TV show.

Also, I'm glad they used the video game style guide. It's cool.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplest reason is probably to keep costs down. They have the art already. Also its possible Firaxis may mandate they use the game art as well.

As far as other properties. LOTR and the Hobbit are complicated because New Line has only the rights to make the movies, not produce anything else. So the Tolkien estate can license out the property to other companies.

FFG does its own art with GoT because they had the rights and were making games long before the show started.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The GoT games did predate the HBO series, but it's worth noting that FFG has re-released the GoT LCG with shots from the HBO series to capitalize on the show's recognition:

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Not really. To me it makes sense to use the same art as the video game to make it more recognisable.

To clarify: If you carefully read my original post you will see that I'm not asking why they did it, just saying from my perspective, as someone who is very very closely acquainted with the PCG, I thought it would be cool to see an original art take on the material (just like Firaxis gave it their original treatment).

I'm sure if I was in FFG's shoes I would use the Firaxis assets too.

However, I'm quite surprised that overwhelmingly people either didn't quite get my point or strongly prefer for the art style to remain the same!

thumbsupthumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a licensed game like this, they must use the art style to make it recognizable and to save some bucks.

That said, a lot of original stuff can be made using the same art style, and from what I have seen, some cards on XCOM are indeed new illustrations (and some things are re-purposed from the game with a hefty dose of photoshop).

The Street Fighter Deck Building game had a lot of interesting new art on it (some inspired by the comics line and some by the videogame new visuals).

Different angles, poses and takes can make a huge difference and make old things seem fresh again. My guess is that FF will mix and match a bit, cutting corners with the art already existent whenever possible (which is actually quite reasonable).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
Avatar
mb
sproyd wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Not really. To me it makes sense to use the same art as the video game to make it more recognisable.

To clarify: If you carefully read my original post you will see that I'm not asking why they did it, just saying from my perspective, as someone who is very very closely acquainted with the PCG, I thought it would be cool to see an original art take on the material (just like Firaxis gave it their original treatment).

I'm sure if I was in FFG's shoes I would use the Firaxis assets too.

However, I'm quite surprised that overwhelmingly people either didn't quite get my point or strongly prefer for the art style to remain the same!

thumbsupthumbsup

It would be cool to see original art if it was done well and was evocative of the XCOM series. Of course, original art can also suck or fail to capture the essence of the subject, so it's hard to say whether this was the best call, but it seems like the safest. Once the game has had time to establish itself in its own right it would be interesting to see them play around with the art (either in an expansion or in a new edition), but for now I'm pretty happy with what we're seeing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
sproyd wrote:
If you carefully read my original post you will see that I'm not asking why they did it

If you read your original post very carefully, you will see that you did, in fact literally, ask "why they did it." =P

sproyd wrote:
I know the XCOM TBG is based on the XCOM universe but is very different in play style to the PC Games, however I'm wondering why FFG chose to lift the art style directly from the latest PC Game?

As such, you can't really fault other people for answering the actual question that you actually asked in your OP.
11 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
sproyd wrote:
If you carefully read my original post you will see that I'm not asking why they did it

If you read your original post very carefully, you will see that you did, in fact literally, ask "why they did it." =P

sproyd wrote:
I know the XCOM TBG is based on the XCOM universe but is very different in play style to the PC Games, however I'm wondering why FFG chose to lift the art style directly from the latest PC Game?

As such, you can't really fault other people for answering the actual question that you actually asked in your OP.

I need more thumbs to up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls