Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Psychonauts» Forums » General

Subject: Where can I get this for PS3? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was on the Playstation Store, but it's not coming up in the search. I read there were some problems with the PS3 version so maybe they pulled it? Anyone know? The PS3 version is digital only I think?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I thought this was on the Playstation Store, but it's not coming up in the search. I read there were some problems with the PS3 version so maybe they pulled it? Anyone know? The PS3 version is digital only I think?
Yes, the PS3 version is/was a download only title. So if you're not seeing it on the Playstation Store, then I think that there's no way to get it for the PS3. If it's on any PS Store though, I believe you can get it by resetting the console's region settings. Not sure if that helps or if it's been pulled from everywhere though.

Be warned that the PS3 version is based on the PS2 version. That version had more problems that its contemporaries. From all reports, the PS2 -> PS3 transition made things even worse. It's a pretty old game though, so if you have any kind of Windows, Mac, or Linux machine that's less than ten years old, even a modest one, then you should be able to hook up your PS3 controller and play it on that. The PC versions are the definitive versions these days. It's had quite a few patches in recent years that have squashed a ton of old bugs and tweaked gameplay to boot.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Luke.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PS2 is bad?
Maybe its alright I lost my PS2 version and bought the XBox one to replace it.
Of course I also have the PC version as well.

Which is better between PC and Xbox?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
PS2 is bad?
Maybe its alright I lost my PS2 version and bought the XBox one to replace it.
Of course I also have the PC version as well.

Which is better between PC and Xbox?
PC is hands the best way to play the game. All other versions are basically stuck with v1.0 code from 2005. The PC version has received a great deal of support since rights reverted back to Double Fine a number of years ago.

The PS2 version was a rushed port, handled by another company and completed on short notice. For much of its life Psychonauts was going to be published by Microsoft and a PS2 version wasn't planned. When the publishing deal changed, a PS2 version was basically rushed by the new publisher in order to target the most popular platform of the day.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well alright then. I guess I will play on PC.

Less competition for screen time there to boot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a crappy little laptop. Although it does have an HDMI out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I only have a crappy little laptop. Although it does have an HDMI out.
For a 2005 game, that may well be enough.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
Avatar
mbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I only have a crappy little laptop. Although it does have an HDMI out.

I just added this image to my gallery, thanks for giving me an opportunity to use it again so soon.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy on Steam and am hoping to hook in my PS3 controller and feed it to the TV via HDMI...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get a better PC. They're super cheap these days. So much easier than going to the lengths you're having to go, Simon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I only have a crappy little laptop. Although it does have an HDMI out.
Any laptop that is new enough to have an HDMI out is almost guaranteed to be more than powerful enough to handle Psychonauts
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a pretty good point, Flamin' Jesus.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
frumpish wrote:
PS2 is bad?
Maybe its alright I lost my PS2 version and bought the XBox one to replace it.
Of course I also have the PC version as well.

Which is better between PC and Xbox?
PC is hands the best way to play the game. All other versions are basically stuck with v1.0 code from 2005. The PC version has received a great deal of support since rights reverted back to Double Fine a number of years ago.

The PS2 version was a rushed port, handled by another company and completed on short notice. For much of its life Psychonauts was going to be published by Microsoft and a PS2 version wasn't planned. When the publishing deal changed, a PS2 version was basically rushed by the new publisher in order to target the most popular platform of the day.

I didn't have a problem playing through the PS2 version. Other than the damn Meat Circus (which has been gimped in later versions) it plays just fine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I bought a copy on Steam and am hoping to hook in my PS3 controller and feed it to the TV via HDMI...

Got a wired 360 controller and it's all go!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls