Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
This question was inspired by several responses to VGG QOTD Jan 11: It is cloudy outside, and has been for months. What video game do you play to feel a bit of sun?.

Yes, I do this frequently. I went to the mountain dedicated to Kynareth the Wind Goddess in Skyrim, when it was a windstorm outside. When playing Morrowind I would go to the ash plains on cloudy days, immersing myself in that gray world (this was before I moved to perpetually gray Seattle...)

So, do you ever match the mood/tone of the game you are playing to the weather outside?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, never even thought about it. Although I will Dead space at night, if that counts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. No, man. Shoot, no, man. I believe you'd get your butt kicked doin' something like that, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost never. I did find that Limbo was particularly enjoyable with frosted windows and snow outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
No. No, man. Shoot, no, man. I believe you'd get your butt kicked doin' something like that, man.

Office Space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And no ... I do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much exclusively game late at night, behind closed curtains, and I doubt I'd ever, consciously at least, pick games based on the weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As already suggested, horror games are definitely better at night.

Other than that, no, the weather doesn't influence my choice at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much the weather, but sometimes I will play or not play a game depending on how bright it is outside. Horror games and survival or stealth type games that keep the screen pretty dark are games I usually only play at night or when it's dark and cloudy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You got default lips, yo!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused by this "outside" concept you speak of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never even thought about that. Maybe I should try at some point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find when the weather outside matches the game it does enhance it a bit, especially when it is raining in game and outside. I don't normally go out of my way to match weather conditions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there was a game that even matches the weather conditions in game to the weather forecast from your area. That sounded pretty cool but really was just for show. Mostly, you know, to have done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but it has happened without my trying it, like playing Skyrim during an Illinois winter or Fallout: New Vegas during the summer around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this question again, and I had something slightly unrelated to share... in that, when I would play Harvest Moon, I would find my own mood affected by the weather in the game. If it was dreary I'd feel dreary. If it was sunny I'd feel sunny. As if it was the real weather. It could be sunshining and hot outside but if it was snowing in the game, I would forget it was sunny out. Especially when I played in the basement with no windows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I was thinking about this question again, and I had something slightly unrelated to share... in that, when I would play Harvest Moon, I would find my own mood affected by the weather in the game. If it was dreary I'd feel dreary. If it was sunny I'd feel sunny. As if it was the real weather. It could be sunshining and hot outside but if it was snowing in the game, I would forget it was sunny out. Especially when I played in the basement with no windows.
I've had that happen from games too, so you are not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls