Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
376 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Books? What are those? The Arcadia Reading Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks!

I'm so pleased that VGG has been picking up steam as a community, which means more great video gaming content, but also more wonderful people to chat about off-topic things with.

So... What are you reading right now? What have you read recently? How do you like it? What do you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading

I'm quite enjoying it, though Fry can be a bit silly at times in his prose (would you expect anything less?). Nice and thought provoking counterfactual. Don't be fooled by the slightly high page count. It's a page-turner that flies by pretty quickly. Enjoyable little read.

Quote: "It was one hell of a Big Wednesday for Keanu Young, PhDude. The history surfer, hanging nine on the point break of yesterday."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb

It's about cancer. I just started it. Quite engrossing so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently reading book two of the Kingkiller Chronicles, a Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I guess it would be described as a "low-fantasy", or at least what I always considered low fantasy to be until I just read the wiki description. I've always thought of it as a fantasy world but the focus isn't so much on the fantasy. The majority of the characters are human and monsters and magic are rare.

I'm really enjoying this series. It seems to be a very well realized world. I prefer stories that are more mundane. I'm so tired of magical heir to the throne foretold in the legends 1000 years ago who saves all the world. Boring. So this one really appeals to me. I do get the feeling there is probably a more "world shaking" story hidden in here, but so far, it's been focused on the life of the main character. His trials, tribulations, hopes and fears. I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
Currently reading book two of the Kingkiller Chronicles, a Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I guess it would be described as a "low-fantasy", or at least what I always considered low fantasy to be until I just read the wiki description. I've always thought of it as a fantasy world but the focus isn't so much on the fantasy. The majority of the characters are human and monsters and magic are rare.

I'm really enjoying this series. It seems to be a very well realized world. I prefer stories that are more mundane. I'm so tired of magical heir to the throne foretold in the legends 1000 years ago who saves all the world. Boring. So this one really appeals to me. I do get the feeling there is probably a more "world shaking" story hidden in here, but so far, it's been focused on the life of the main character. His trials, tribulations, hopes and fears. I highly recommend it.

I've heard good things about that series but have yet to read any of the books. I'll have to see if my library has them.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently reading Jane Eyre. Rounding out the Victorian classics... and shamefully not really enjoying it . I appreciate the writing but the story isn't to my taste.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently re-reading Watership Down. I read it when I was like 12 or 13, so it's actually very interesting to read it again now. It was much more scary when I was younger, at least. Steffan is going to run a PbV game of Bunnies & Burrows and he said that anyone wanting to play in that would need to read the book. I really want to play in that game, so of course I started reading the book again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
I'm currently re-reading Watership Down. I read it when I was like 12 or 13, so it's actually very interesting to read it again now. It was much more scary when I was younger, at least. Steffan is going to run a PbV game of Bunnies & Burrows and he said that anyone wanting to play in that would need to read the book. I really want to play in that game, so of course I started reading the book again

I've been meaning to get around to this one for a long while (since I was a teen) and just somehow never managed... Still a worthwhile read at any age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I've been meaning to get around to this one for a long while (since I was a teen) and just somehow never managed... Still a worthwhile read at any age?

Absolutely! I have really been enjoying reading it this time around too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished one of the most interesting books I have ever read on US History. A must read!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
I'm down to the last 300 pages of A Dance with Dragons, the fifth of George RR Martin's series A Song of Fire and Ice.

I've read A Game of Thrones and then watched the TV series (download somewhere). After that, I was determined to read at least 2 books before watching season2, as the TV seasons and books are not 1:1; I didn't want to see spoilers for my books.

Now I've almost finished the 5th book and still have to watch s2. Ah well, maybe I won't. But anyway, it'll be a long wait before book 6, the Winds of Winter will be released. It's still to be announced!
yuk

Besides that, I'm reading a small book about life in Medieval Japan:

It has a general intro about the land, climate &such and after that 1 chapter for each social group: samurai, farmers, etc. Quite nice, for a martial arts practitioner with a firm interest in history.

Anywayz, 90% of the stuff I read is in English, so these 2 too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I am currently reading Red seas under red skies after reading The Lies of Locke Lamora - both by Scott Lynch.

The first book was quite difficult for me to get into but it turned out to be an amazing (and highly recommended) book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently read the Foundation series by Asimov (the 7 he wrote himself) and a few of his short stories. They're certainly still a good read, but some things feel rather quaint today because you can see how the times (and sentiments) changed over the decades:

In the first 3 books (from the 50s) there (understandably) isn't a single mention of the word "computer", things they make trivial today are made out to be incredibly difficult or impossible tasks - On the other hand, "atomics" are the solution to all ills, every toaster runs on nuclear batteries that have to be replaced monthly and the word is basically interchangeable with magic. Until the third book women don't even exist - at which point a lot of the background characters are surprised that they're treated as equals by those strange Foundation folks. Oh, and ESP is totally real for realsies.

Then in the sequels and prequels (written in the 80s and 90s), he never shuts up about how awesome computers are, the atom went on the list of blacklisted words, the only sexists in the galaxy are a bunch of socially retarded space-Amish and from the moment he links the Foundation universe to the timeline of his robotics universe, you can expect at least one reiteration of the three laws per chapter... He still thought ESP was a thing (or at least making it not a thing in the Foundation universe would have taken a massive retcon), but hey, even 20 years later we still have (ostensibly intelligent) people believing in that particular hokum, so I'll let it slide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow missed basically all Azimov growing up, but I recently blew through

It's a great quick read, and though I didn't find it particularly philosophical (like Clarke) or mind-bending (like Phil Dick), it had its own enjoyably quaint charm to it. I quite enjoyed it and may pick up some of the other robot books in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asimov's thing seems to be more psychology/sociology than philosophy or fantasy, you should give Nightfall a quick read (the short story, I don't know if the novelisation is any good).
I mean, psychohistory is the lynchpin of the Foundation series (well, that and space magic mind powers), the framing device of I, Robot is a Robopsychologist and so on... The decline of civilizations and breakdown of social order in one form or another is a pretty big deal with him.

I'm probably going to read the Robots and Empire series' soon, I'm curious how the Spacer and later Settler colonies started out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Added Nightfall to my "to read" list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb

Just started Neuromance by William Gibson. Supposedly the granddaddy of cyberpunk. It's not really grabbing me like I thought it would but I plan to stick it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't care for Neuromancer either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuromancer was one of those books that were so revolutionary and genre-defining that their mind-blowing ideas have become staples of their genre. A lot of the book's thrill has subsequently been rendered mundane.

Lord of the Rings is another example - it's generic fantasy simply because every man and his dog has copied it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I likewise didn't care for LOTR. I liked the Hobbit ok, but that was because I liked Bilbo. And then Tolkein traded one character I liked for twenty characters I was supposed to keep track of I had no interest in. And kept the same strict formula used in the Hobbit.

Dean, is this why I didn't care for Dune as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, that was just tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me three tries to read the LotR. Ocne in High School, only made it thru Book 1 of the Fellowship. The second attempt was in college (again, only thru Book 1). I finally forced my way through them when the first movie came out. I saw the first movie, but none of the others. I found The Hobbit to be a much more enjoyable story. I also preferred Merry and Pippin's story arc to Frodo's.

Dune is another story I could never get in to. Speaking of tedious, I'll probably get smacked down for saying it, but I found CS Lewis to be so boring. Ugh. I tried to read them to my daughter and we bailed out in the second book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did actually like Dune, despite its pacing. I slogged through Dune Messiah and tossed it into the corner when I was finally done. Ugh. No more Dune series for me.

It took me a couple of times to get through LoTR as well. I completely missed the introduction to Boromir at the council and spent the rest of book 1 going "Boromir? Who the hell is this??" blush

My biggest beef with the books was the lack of character crossover. I spent most of Frodo's story wondering what was up with Aragorn & Co, and
vice versa, and I subsequently got bored with being stuck to the one set of character viewpoints for so very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest problem with LOTR and The Hobbit:

1) Walk towards goal.
2) Trouble arises!
3) Solve trouble
4) Return to #1.

I put up with it in the Hobbit because I liked Bilbo so much.

When this was continued in the Two Towers, without Bilbo and with at least a dozen characters I was supposed to be following none of whom I cared a whit about... well I put that book down and was done with the series.

Interestingly enough. I quite enjoyed the LOTR film series while not enjoying the books. I liked the Hobbit well enough to finish it, but I did not like the Hobbit film series and would have not even bothered with it if not for the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.