Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
376 Posts
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [16] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Books? What are those? The Arcadia Reading Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I really enjoyed it! I'm jazzed to read book 2, but I think I'll wait a while and give him time to publish book 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about 80% done with Witcher: Baptism by Fire. It's been slow going. Most of my reading is done on airplanes and in hotels, but I haven't been traveling much lately. And I've had to read textbooks for a class the last two months. That ends tonight, so tomorrow more time for reading and games, yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on Fool Moon By Jim Buther. It's the second in the Dresden Files. Much better than the first book so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't updated in a while, so here's what I've been reading for the last few weeks.

I'm mostly alternating between recent Sci-Fi and stories that I've had for a while, but never got around to reading before now. Which is made up of older fantasy from some of my favorite authors:

The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip
The Seven Towers by Patricia C. Wrede

I'm currently reading Shadow Magic by Patricia C. Wrede, but I'll probably finish it today.

I've also read Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey, Twisted Metal by Tony Ballantyne, and I read Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson to finish out that trilogy.

Next week (May 5-7) is the Library book sale, so I need to update my book lists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Halfway through 100 Years of Solitude for my Tiny Book club. I am loving it even though I'm not entirely sure what direction it's all going in. It's kind of fable-y in that it is event after event, but it's described in such an engagingly simple yet dense and interesting way that I stay well engaged.

And this on top of a translation, which always gives me pause because the translator ALSO has a huge part in how the book reads and I never am sure how much is Marquez and how much is the skill of the translator.

It's probably pretty equal but
ANYWAY

Read the book, it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorf Foul's Bane by Stephan Donaldson. it is part of a trilogy but I am surprised I finished this one it just seemed to drag for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
This last Sunday I purchased The Man of Gold (Empire of the Petal Throne Book 1) by Professor M.A.R. Barker from Jeff Dee (besides the best artist for 1st ed D&D, also the artist for MoO, MoM, and several Ultima video games). I'm hoping to learn more about the Tékumel setting which is significantly older and richer than any D&D setting. Tekumel was also published by Gary Gygax and several others, but each time they made marketing, sales, or other mistakes (think Firefly).

Edit: Jeff Dee also did the map that's in the front of that book - that's the connection besides just buying it from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recently finished books:

A Vision of Fire by Gillian Anderson - Meh. I found it to be boring.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss - Well, he warns the reader in the foreword that its an unusual book and he wasn't kidding. Still mildly enjoyable.

The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar - It was written well enough that I was curious about how it would end. But I never felt like I understood what was going on. I probably won't continue with the series.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - I never had much interest in this subject, but I dig Erik Larson's books so I gave it a try. It was interesting, and it covers way more than just the actual sinking. It was an interesting insight to America's attitude towards WWI.

Breaking Cat News by Georgia Dunn - Man, this is just the most wonderful comic strip, and I'm so glad she got a book deal. If you are a cat person, you should read her strip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenpence wrote:
Lorf Foul's Bane by Stephan Donaldson. it is part of a trilogy but I am surprised I finished this one it just seemed to drag for me.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. This is on my To-Read list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar - It was written well enough that I was curious about how it would end. But I never felt like I understood what was going on. I probably won't continue with the series.

That's what I thought when I read it (also, that it was too smug...) it had too many in-references to other books, and fake books, and took it's booklore too seriously, despite being basically about the Reptilian theory of the British Monarchy (among other things.)

However, I went ahead and read book 2 in the series, which is VASTLY different from the first book! For one, has a cohesive plot (well, more so than the first book) and lots of rip-roaring action. Though, there is some torture, and lots of killing (as it is basically about hunting down a serial killer), so it definitely falls on the darker side of the book spectrum.

I haven't read the third book in the trilogy yet, but I probably will, if only to say I finished it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

That's what I thought when I read it (also, that it was too smug...) it had too many in-references to other books, and fake books, and took it's booklore too seriously, despite being basically about the Reptilian theory of the British Monarchy (among other things.)

However, I went ahead and read book 2 in the series, which is VASTLY different from the first book! For one, has a cohesive plot (well, more so than the first book) and lots of rip-roaring action. Though, there is some torture, and lots of killing (as it is basically about hunting down a serial killer), so it definitely falls on the darker side of the book spectrum.

I haven't read the third book in the trilogy yet, but I probably will, if only to say I finished it.

I do have book 2 in hand, but was going to give it away. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks Carrie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost two months since my last post here! I haven't been doing too much reading, I've been gaming instead.

- The Hydrogen Sonanta, Iain M Banks - A culture novel focussing on the Gzilt who are of a similar tech level and were almost members of the Culture at its formation. They entire civilization is about to sublime to a higher level of existence but some things start going wrong. Another excellent Culture novel. I'm a big fan and I especially enjoy the conversations of the Minds.

- Fables Deluxe Editon Book 1. This is a collected hardback of the first two Fables volumes I picked up after playing the game. The first volume focuses on Snow White's sister Rose Red. While I liked it I thoght it was a bit tame compare to the game however it was mainly introducing the characters. The second, Animal Farm, ramps things up considerably.

- Octopus Pie, Vol 1, Meredith Gran. I read the webcomic of this so decided to order the book as I like it so much. It follows a girl who works in a organic food store in NY and her stoner room-mate. That's about it.

- The Boys, Vol 1-3, Garth Ennis. I picked a Garth Ennis collection up in the current Humble Comics Bundle. Started reading The Boys and flew through them. It's about a CIA-backed group of individuals who keep an eye on the world's superheroes and keep them in line, if necessary. Brutal. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Culture series is on my To-Read list. Does this series feature the same characters from book to book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually not. Some of the ships might be the same (honestly, I mostly read them for the ship names... and for space archaeology!), and maybe one character will get a cameo... but all of them can be read as stand-alone novels, they just all share the same backdrop and the greater Culture history which happens as the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Culture novels span a period of about 1300 years I believe but there are some Minds that are in different books, or at least referenced. The Minds are the AIs that control the Culture. I'm not sure if any humans are in multiple books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did just finish Storm Front by Jim Butcher. It was ok, but I'm not really sure about it yet. I'm planning on reading the next one (sometime) to decide whether or not to go on with the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the Dresden Files get better after the first book. Though I've yet to read them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dresden files get better after the first couple books for sure. I rated book one and two a 3/5. The rest of the series 5/5 except Ghost Story (4/5). I almost gave up but saw the ratings on Goodreads shoot up book 3 and beyond. It is worth sticking with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading this rather delightful book:

Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Deciphering of Linear B and the Discovery of a Lost Civilisation by Margalit Fox.

It's non-fiction, and a great story! Though I do wish there was more about the language in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read about 6-8 books in the past month and a half...all from the Agent Pendergast series (by Lincoln and Childs). Really hard to put down, excellent stuff. Basically Pendergast is a modern day Sherlock Holmes, after a fashion.

But I've been really hooked on these since I finished up Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, which was fantastic. I was sad to see it end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I have read about 6-8 books in the past month and a half...all from the Agent Pendergast series (by Lincoln and Childs). Really hard to put down, excellent stuff. Basically Pendergast is a modern day Sherlock Holmes, after a fashion.

But I've been really hooked on these since I finished up Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, which was fantastic. I was sad to see it end.

My sister got me hooked on the Pendergast series. Glad you're enjoying it. Did you hear that they are trying to turn it into a TV show?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I'm currently reading this rather delightful book:

Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Deciphering of Linear B and the Discovery of a Lost Civilisation by Margalit Fox.

It's non-fiction, and a great story! Though I do wish there was more about the language in the book.

Sounds heavy. Is it? I am interested in how languages formed but I figured any books on the topic would be too dense for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Sounds heavy. Is it? I am interested in how languages formed but I figured any books on the topic would be too dense for me.

It's a quick read, not very heavy at all, it delves more into the lives and personalities of the three people most responsible for translating the language, without really delving into the language itself all that much.

Mostly it is about Alice Kober, the woman who laid the foundation for solving the language (she sadly died before she could do it herself) and how her technique allows for anyone to pick up where she left off - which revolutionized how people tackle language problems of this magnitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

It's a quick read, not very heavy at all, it delves more into the lives and personalities of the three people most responsible for translating the language, without really delving into the language itself all that much.

Mostly it is about Alice Kober, the woman who laid the foundation for solving the language (she sadly died before she could do it herself) and how her technique allows for anyone to pick up where she left off - which revolutionized how people tackle language problems of this magnitude.
There's a summary of it in Simon Singh's The Code Book. Fascinating stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.