Subject: Books? What are those? The Arcadia Reading Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished The Silver Skull by Mark Chadbourn. I didn't care for it. It seemed to me like the same thing happened over and over again:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spy goes after secret weapon held by emeny. Spy gets weapon. Spy gets knocked out. Spy gets tortured. Spy escapes. Repeat.

Meh.

I just started Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding. Book #2 in the Ketty Jay series. Very happy to be getting back to this series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ketty Jay Rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowLab wrote:
Ketty Jay Rules!

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Tenpence wrote:
Lorf Foul's Bane by Stephan Donaldson. it is part of a trilogy but I am surprised I finished this one it just seemed to drag for me.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. This is on my To-Read list.

Donaldson does some things (plot, snarky dialogue, fight scenes) extremely well, and others he's not so good at (large-scale world-building ... and this series in particular has a lot of introspection by damaged people). I have a lot of nostalgia for this series (and it held up when I reread it a few years ago), but it's not the sort of thing I can give an unqualified recommendation for, for various reasons.

The Illearth War is probably my favorite of the original trilogy.

I'm on the home stretch of The Last Dark at the moment, and while there's still an outside chance that it will redeem the series with the ending, I'm not sure that's where the smart money goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently finished The Force Awakens.

Rereading The Song of Ice and Fire series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up on Nefertiti: The Book of the Dead.

I just started The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying the delightful The Tropic of Serpents by Marie Brennan. It is book 2 in the Memoir by Lady Trent series, and I'm still loving it. I think it is a five book series at this point, and my goal is to own them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently working through The Passage by Justin Cronin. It puts an interesting spin on post-apocalypse / vampire fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. I'm working my way through his entire oeuvre.

(Except for the Wheel of Time books. First four were great, then they started getting bigger, more long winded, and less eventful, until I could finish a book, look back on it, and conclude that nothing much had happened. I'd be interested in Sanderson's take on it, but it's now too much of a painful slog for me to attempt now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read The Boys vol 4 last night. Brutal. But good.

Also started to read the first Harry Dresden book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:

(Except for the Wheel of Time books. First four were great, then they started getting bigger, more long winded, and lest eventful, until I could finish a book, look back on it, and conclude that nothing much had happened. I'd be interested in Sanderson's take on it, but it's now too much of a painful slog for me to attempt now.)

I heard they get better and things start happening when Sanderson takes over, but despite starting this series 5 separate times, and loving the first few books, I have never been able to get that far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:

Brutal in what way? Violent? Or just tough to get through?

I'd be interested in what you think of Storm Front once you're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:

(Except for the Wheel of Time books. First four were great, then they started getting bigger, more long winded, and less eventful, until I could finish a book, look back on it, and conclude that nothing much had happened. I'd be interested in Sanderson's take on it, but it's now too much of a painful slog for me to attempt now.)

I love Elantris. But then I like many of Brandon Sanderson's books.

I made it to Book 6 in the Wheel of Time, then I quit. It got to the point where a single book was something like 3 days of in-story time covered, and I could predict everything that happened to all the characters - so at that point it was a waste of time and I bowed out.

I have heard that Sanderson's Stormlight Archives is his take on an epic fantasy series (influenced by his work on Wheel of Time) so perhaps you could just read that instead of revisiting the Wheel of Time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Cricky wrote:

Oh, violent. Very violent. It's by Garth Ennis who wrote the Preacher comics. Also he's from Northern Ireland, which explains a lot. whistle

I started reading Storm Front after seeing your post. Always been meaning to start that series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:
Cricky wrote:

Oh, violent. Very violent. It's by Garth Ennis who wrote the Preacher comics. Also he's from Northern Ireland, which explains a lot. whistle

I started reading Storm Front after seeing your post. Always been meaning to start that series.

Oh dear, we watched The Preacher the other night. I'm afraid it isn't for us. We never read the comic books, so we were quite confused. But the violence was a bit too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

I made it to Book 6 in the Wheel of Time, then I quit. It got to the point where a single book was something like 3 days of in-story time covered, and I could predict everything that happened to all the characters - so at that point it was a waste of time and I bowed out.

I have heard that Sanderson's Stormlight Archives is his take on an epic fantasy series (influenced by his work on Wheel of Time) so perhaps you could just read that instead of revisiting the Wheel of Time?

I loved The Way of Kings. I highly recommend it! I haven't read anything else in the series yet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
cobbz20 wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

(Except for the Wheel of Time books. First four were great, then they started getting bigger, more long winded, and lest eventful, until I could finish a book, look back on it, and conclude that nothing much had happened. I'd be interested in Sanderson's take on it, but it's now too much of a painful slog for me to attempt now.)

I heard they get better and things start happening when Sanderson takes over, but despite starting this series 5 separate times, and loving the first few books, I have never been able to get that far.
Elantris was cute, but definitely a "first work". Novel idea though. You could superimpose the entire thing that that's the origin of Atlantis.

I loved the Wheel of Time. It was the opposite for me. The first 4 books were a painful slog and then the remainder is where Jordan and then Sanderson (admittedly better!) showed what happened, rather than told you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:

I'm glad that someone else is reading more Ennis! Despite his very extreme style and writing, it was a great take on government supersoldier programs and what they could lead to.

Yay Dresden! I'm so impatient for the 16th book to be published! Hang in there, it's another series that has something of a slow start but get much, much better with each addition .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

I do plan to read the Stormlight Archive - although I may or may not wait for it to be further along. I prefer tackling already finished series these days. Still, I guess I could always reread...

I also just finished reading The Bands of Mourning and Mistborn : Secret History by Sanderson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about done with Abbadon's Gate (Book 3 of the Expanse series) by the two guys who are James S. A. Corey.
Entertaining series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:
Sounds heavy. Is it? I am interested in how languages formed but I figured any books on the topic would be too dense for me.

It's a quick read, not very heavy at all, it delves more into the lives and personalities of the three people most responsible for translating the language, without really delving into the language itself all that much.

Mostly it is about Alice Kober, the woman who laid the foundation for solving the language (she sadly died before she could do it herself) and how her technique allows for anyone to pick up where she left off - which revolutionized how people tackle language problems of this magnitude.
There's a summary of it in Simon Singh's The Code Book. Fascinating stuff.

How is The Code Book? I like listening to Simon Singh talk, but have never read anything he wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Just about done with Abbadon's Gate (Book 3 of the Expanse series) by the two guys who are James S. A. Corey.
Entertaining series.

I just saw the Twilight Zone episode where the co-author's name is from. It makes perfect sense given the topics of that series.

I finished Leviathan Wakes not long ago... sadly our libraries have no paper copies of Abbadon's Gate. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
GreenDude wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:
Sounds heavy. Is it? I am interested in how languages formed but I figured any books on the topic would be too dense for me.

It's a quick read, not very heavy at all, it delves more into the lives and personalities of the three people most responsible for translating the language, without really delving into the language itself all that much.

Mostly it is about Alice Kober, the woman who laid the foundation for solving the language (she sadly died before she could do it herself) and how her technique allows for anyone to pick up where she left off - which revolutionized how people tackle language problems of this magnitude.
There's a summary of it in Simon Singh's The Code Book. Fascinating stuff.

How is The Code Book? I like listening to Simon Singh talk, but have never read anything he wrote.
Well, I haven't heard him speak.

I quite enjoyed it. If you like crypto, both contemporary and historical, it's definitely worth a read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been meaning to read Sanderson's works but I have such a backlog of a library lol...

Currently reading:

With this book next on the list:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

Halfway through book 9 is as far as I have read, which was a couple years ago.

I have The Way of Kings on my Goodreads list, so with my current pace of 2-3 books a year, I might get to it sometime in the next 10 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.