Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly, between the Stephen Fry and the Asimov, you win the "Reads the books I most want to read" award. I recently re-read Asimov's "Robots at Dawn" series and loved it, and I'm a Fry fan but haven't read that one yet.

As for myself, late last year I learned that my local library had graphic novels, and I was so delighted that I pledged to read every single one in the entire library, so I've just been slowly attacking that shelf in alphabetical author order.

Best so far:

It's the story of a young girl battling monsters both real and imagined, and is beautifully done in every respect. My graphic novel binge has brought me plenty of awful "young girl battling monsters" manga, so this one that was much more grounded in real-life issues was a delight. Recommended.

(worst so far: Twilight-New Moon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
It took me three tries to read the LotR. Ocne in High School, only made it thru Book 1 of the Fellowship. The second attempt was in college (again, only thru Book 1). I finally forced my way through them when the first movie came out. I saw the first movie, but none of the others. I found The Hobbit to be a much more enjoyable story. I also preferred Merry and Pippin's story arc to Frodo's.

Dune is another story I could never get in to. Speaking of tedious, I'll probably get smacked down for saying it, but I found CS Lewis to be so boring. Ugh. I tried to read them to my daughter and we bailed out in the second book.

Yeah, Tolkein's prose is a bit turgid. I also much prefer the LotR movies to the books, which is not at all common for me.

If you found Narnia tedious, I would recommend:
a) If you want to try Lewis once more, get The Screwtape Letters
b) If you want Narnia meets Harry Potter for grownups, try Lev Grossman's "The Magicians"
c) Forget about the books and just eat Turkish Delight; they're tasty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite, I enjoyed the LotR books but not the films. I find it a bit funny because I tend to dislike the many version of elves and orcs fantsy that have come out since. The Hobbit was not my favourite but still an enjoyable (and much faster) read. I was coerced into seeing the first Hobbit film by some friends but the rest I managed to avoid.

Personally I would rather read The Silmarillion instead of The Hobbit but if you didn't like LotR so much than the Silmarillion probably won't be your favourite.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
If you found Narnia tedious, I would recommend:
a) If you want to try Lewis once more, get The Screwtape Letters
b) If you want Narnia meets Harry Potter for grownups, try Lev Grossman's "The Magicians"
c) Forget about the books and just eat Turkish Delight; they're tasty!

I was not a huge Narnia fan either. I think they are nice maybe as a bed time story when you're little but reading them on my own once I was older was a wee bit disappointing. However I'll second the recommendation for The Screwtape Letters (and Turkish Delight)!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On to this now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all have moments where we must live up to the expectations of our online avatars. As such I have just started in on:

Intellectually, I found The Road to Serfdom very enjoyable when I read it a few years ago, but I also found the prose a bit bland, repetitive, and severely over-worked at times. All in all, I decided to take a nice break before tackling Hayek's other major work, but I think that time has now arrived.

Though not far in yet, I quite like the edition I am reading (pictured above), which has transferred the copious endnotes of the original into much easier to read footnotes, and also precedes the text itself with a pretty insightful introduction that expounds on the historical context of Hayek's work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got Unbroken from the library. I have borrowed it three times now. It is quite popular so I can't renew it. I am going to finish it before going back to cancer book (which I can renew).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Just got Unbroken from the library. I have borrowed it three times now. It is quite popular so I can't renew it. I am going to finish it before going back to cancer book (which I can renew).

I found this one difficult to put down. So interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose now is when I have to own up to the fact that I seldom only read one book at a time. I usually have one fiction and at least one non-fiction book going simultaneously, so that I can pick up one or the other according to my mood at any given moment.

As such, in addition to Constitution of Liberty, above, I just started reading:

I really enjoyed reading No Country for Old Men, so I am very much looking forward to starting in on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a snowy day here so I get to do a little extra reading. I'm currently reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham.

We've been reading a number of his books lately and have almost all of them. Most are about the legal system in one way or another. This one highlights the strip mining of coal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Now reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:

I really enjoyed reading No Country for Old Men, so I am very much looking forward to starting in on this.

I read Blood Meridian for pretty much the same reason. I also had quite liked the Road by McCarthy.

But I wasn't crazy about Blood Meridian. I think one of my favorite parts about The Road and No Country was the simple and spare writing, so that was no small part of the reason I had chosen another McCarthy book.

Turns out he doesn't use the simple spare writing style in all his books.

Who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
CptWilly wrote:

I read Blood Meridian for pretty much the same reason. I also had quite liked the Road by McCarthy.

But I wasn't crazy about Blood Meridian. I think one of my favorite parts about The Road and No Country was the simple and spare writing, so that was no small part of the reason I had chosen another McCarthy book.

Turns out he doesn't use the simple spare writing style in all his books.

Who knew?

Funny... One of the things I am really liking so far is how rich and evocative the writing is in this one. Sort of like impressionist painting with language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Now reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

One of my favorite novels ever. Enjoy the wild ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
Funny... One of the things I am really liking so far is how rich and evocative the writing is in this one. Sort of like impressionist painting with language.

Like I said, I definitely read it at the wrong time. I was looking for something with simple sparse language, and this was the wrong book for me to have picked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It is clearly not non-ficiton. I guess I would call it a modern tall-tale. I expect there are some elements of truth in the book. For example a person call Hunter S Thompson did at one time exist.

The best parts of the book are the few paragraphs where he talks about the end of 60's idealism. I imagine I could read an entire book about that by Thompson.

I found myself while reading it spending most of my energy trying to discern what happened from the yarn Thompson was telling, and frankly I found the mental exercise unrewarding. To begin with there was no way to know what was true and what was false. And moreover I couldn't tell what difference it would make anyway.

In the end I felt like the sobercab at a bachelor party. Everyone else is having a great time being drunk, and you're stuck listening to their idiocy and having to clean vomit out of your car afterwards.

I can't imagine I will be reading anything else by this author.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Finished reading the Broker by John Grisham.

Now reading What Your Childhood Memories Say about You by Kevin Leman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:

Sounds neat, Doug. When you finish, please do be sure to share with us what your childhood memories do, in fact, say about you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
chadnorth wrote:

Sounds neat, Doug. When you finish, please do be sure to share with us what your childhood memories do, in fact, say about you.
I'll do that providing my adulthood memory remembers to comeback to this entry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
A Tim Curry discussion in another thread prompted me to pick up a book I haven't read in probably 20 years.

edit - and I'm now going to ignore my incredibly growing subscription list and go back to reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm onto the third and final book of the Gentlemen Bastard series. I don't have the book to hand but I believe that it is called 'The Republic of Thieves' or something similar

Erik - my husband tried to read IT but he just couldn't get into it and ended up giving it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
I'm the opposite, I enjoyed the LotR books but not the films. I find it a bit funny because I tend to dislike the many version of elves and orcs fantsy that have come out since. The Hobbit was not my favourite but still an enjoyable (and much faster) read. I was coerced into seeing the first Hobbit film by some friends but the rest I managed to avoid.

Personally I would rather read The Silmarillion instead of The Hobbit but if you didn't like LotR so much than the Silmarillion probably won't be your favourite.

God bless,
Kezle

Mmm... the Silmarillion is my favorite of his works too. But then, I love mythology and world building, and that is exactly what that book is! I never really enjoyed the Hobbit, mostly because I didn't like how much Bilbo whined.

I read too many books in a week to be constantly posting them here... but I'm currently reading:

They are fun short stories that cross between Sci-Fi and horror, some I've read before, some are new to me, and all are, in a way, classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Norbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Corps_of_Oa wrote:
I am currently reading Red seas under red skies after reading The Lies of Locke Lamora - both by Scott Lynch.

The first book was quite difficult for me to get into but it turned out to be an amazing (and highly recommended) book!

Great books. Really enjoyable. I need to read the third one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.