Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Leo Norbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kattvippa wrote:
CptWilly wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:
I'm currently re-reading Watership Down. I read it when I was like 12 or 13, so it's actually very interesting to read it again now. It was much more scary when I was younger, at least. Steffan is going to run a PbV game of Bunnies & Burrows and he said that anyone wanting to play in that would need to read the book. I really want to play in that game, so of course I started reading the book again

I've been meaning to get around to this one for a long while (since I was a teen) and just somehow never managed... Still a worthwhile read at any age?

Absolutely! I have really been enjoying reading it this time around too

Is it as disturbing as the animated film - I'm sure that thing scarred many a small child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Norbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
GreenDude wrote:
I did actually like Dune, despite its pacing. I slogged through Dune Messiah and tossed it into the corner when I was finally done. Ugh. No more Dune series for me.

I really enjoyed the first Dune book. It's much more of a political machinations sci fi thing then a fast paced action bonanza but if really sucked me in. I didn't mind the second one but it noticeably dips in quality. I never went beyond that as the general word is they just keep getting worse and worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Norbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Currently I'm about 10 pages from the end of Wiffle Lever to Full. It's a non fiction account of a guy who spent a summer going to as many British geeky conventions as he could find. It's not great but has acertain charm to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost of Bofus wrote:
Currently I'm about 10 pages from the end of Wiffle Lever to Full. It's a non fiction account of a guy who spent a summer going to as many British geeky conventions as he could find. It's not great but has acertain charm to it.

That actually sounds quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and am really enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Corps_of_Oa wrote:
Erik - my husband tried to read IT but he just couldn't get into it and ended up giving it up!

It is a bit slow. I think that it's just due to the large ensemble. I'm still really enjoying it. I do think that 5th grade kids in the 1950's aren't likely to F-bomb as much as he has them do so. I'm comparing that to my own experience at that sge.

ngwilliam wrote:
I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and am really enjoying it!

I recently read those books. Very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:

That's definitely on my list of books to read this year. I have to work through books I was given as gifts first though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ghost of Bofus wrote:
Corps_of_Oa wrote:
I am currently reading Red seas under red skies after reading The Lies of Locke Lamora - both by Scott Lynch.

The first book was quite difficult for me to get into but it turned out to be an amazing (and highly recommended) book!

Great books. Really enjoyable. I need to read the third one.

I'm on about page 250 at the moment and it is going well. Although it hasn't been as gripping as the first two as yet I feel that may change very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Norbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
CptWilly wrote:
Ghost of Bofus wrote:

That actually sounds quite interesting.

I've finished it now so happy to post it to you if you want to give it a go.

Just started up

I've only read one chapter so far but it's got a good set-up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've continued with the book Captains Outrageous: Or For Doom the Bell Tolls.

It is totally silly, and starts with the three main characters playing an RPG-like game in a tavern... which is extremely meta, as the book is based on the author's RPG group.

I admit I have a soft spot for books that are inspired from RPG groups...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Yesterday I finally finished A Song of Ice And Fire

(Or as TV watchers know it: A Game of Thrones)

Over 5000 pages. Over 250 named characters. And a tendency of the main characters to die in violent ways, just when you think them indispensable for the story line! Man, what a ride. Glad I finished it. Now eagerly waiting for book 6.

My next book will be Dutch again, just to remember how that reads! Probably the Dutch translation of Ranger's Apprentice. As my daughter loves this series and has read (almost) all of them, I'm planning to read part 1 to see what it's about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the Song of Ice and Fire some time ago as well. Now I really wanna know what is going to happen next

Did you also read it in English? I did, as I have those books in my Kindle and can't get them there in Finnish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Kattvippa wrote:
I finished the Song of Ice and Fire some time ago as well. Now I really wanna know what is going to happen next

Did you also read it in English? I did, as I have those books in my Kindle and can't get them there in Finnish.
Yes, I read them in English.

I'm not sure they're available in Dutch; I believe they are. But (as often) the way the author uses language to convey a certain feel is hard to translate. Like, how to translate "He was breaking his fast with eggs and bacon" to Dutch (or Finnish)?

Loved them in English.

(edit: typo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

Yes, I read them in English.

I'm not sure they're available in Dutch; I believe they are. But (as often) the way the author uses language to convey a certain fee is hard to translate. Like, how to translate "He was breaking his fast with eggs and bacon" to Dutch (or Finnish)?

Completely agreed! And a lot of books that I have read both in English and Finnish, have been a lot better in English. Translating process will always loses something of the original feel and meaning. And even the flow of text is usually better in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started The Lies of Locke Lamora.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Now reading The Last Juror by John Grisham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find a good image of the copy I found, but I'll include a link to Amazon's page.

Season 1 of True Detective was hands down one of the best show I've ever seen. Better than Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones (not saying they are only worthy of stick waving). So when I happened upon this in my local bookstore, I felt obliged to spend the $11 (or whatever) to buy it. I've only found the time to read a couple pages, but I think I'll enjoy it...while waiting for Season 2 cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ngwilliam wrote:

Stick with it!! It took me sssoooo long to get into but well worth it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corps_of_Oa wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

Stick with it!! It took me sssoooo long to get into but well worth it!!

Good to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How the heck did I miss a thread about books?

Yesterday I finished The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow and Dust by Elizabeth Bear.
Saintcrow's book is steampunk (and entertaining), while Bear's is sci-fi (and amazing). I love the way Elizabeth Bear writes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read both of those - good choices!

I'm currently reading:

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed - this has been on my reading list and was recommended by many on RPG Geek.
Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett - as an honor to him, since he passed away. I've been going through a whole bunch of Discworld because of that.
Enchantment Place by Denise Little - a short story collection.
The Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de Lint - just bought it today, it is adorable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Norbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I finished up The Painted Man and its sequel The Desert Spear. They are a strange mish mash of stuff (Demon fighting, race issues, soppy romance, identity crises, Powerful herb gatherers, Jesters with magic music, some tacke don sex.) that I'm not sure if I like or not. They kept me reading but all the while I thought it was a bit ludicrous.

Just started The Call by Tim Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love de Lint. He is one of my "buy it without bothering to research it" writers. Into the Green is probably my favorite of his, with Onion Girl being a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stupid thought after I just reread the title of this thread:

"Books? What are those? The Arcadia Reading Thread!"..aren't those the things laying around in Skyrim??

Ok..now back to book club...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have to get one of every book in Skyrim, then put them in alphabetical order on the shelves in my houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.