Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should state that this is not the same as using outside knowledge to solve a puzzle that expects you to have outside knowledge - like the ternary puzzle in a Star Trek game that clearly expected you to go out and learn ternary... this is for puzzles that have clues in game for you to follow, but are based on real world knowledge... so if you have that knowledge, you can solve the puzzle without the clues in game.

And yes, yes I have, done this and it almost broke the adventure game I was playing. I can read Heiroglyphs... I know the Egyptian gods... I put two and two together in a game once where they clearly expected you to follow certain clues in game and managed to skip a significant portion of the city and opened a temple LONG before I should have! I can't remember the name, but it is one of the MANY Egyptian themed adventure games I've played.

So, have you ever solved puzzles in a linear game out of order because of knowledge you had outside of the game?

For all the past VGG QOTD Goodness, look here: VGG QOTD Master List.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zelda Ocarina of Time comes to mind. I have beaten the game so many times that I've deliberately gone out of my way to beat the adult dungeons out of order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the game was programed with the idea that you'd play it again, so even the rare events where you have all the pieces early, the character will say something like "I don't think I should do that... yet"

Then again, maybe I haven't played a game that fits your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I recall. I've done a lot of sequence breaking of Metroid: Zero Mission but I don't think that counts because that was based on knowledge that I had of the game. I also remember finding a way to skip part of Star Trek: The Next Generation – Echoes from the Past, but that was just a glitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat Myst long before I ever beat the different worlds of Myst. It was... less than satisfactory when done that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
Yaverot may have hit on it: If the game is truly linear, then there's sometimes artificial barriers to stop you from acting on prior knowledge had either from a spoiler, walkthrough, or previous completion. However, I have throughout the years found myself essentially "cheating" or "skipping" puzzles solely because I had already finished the game and therefore simply knew what to do already, and was not stymied by the game designers in doing so. There's a dark early morning fuzz keeping me from thinking of more recent examples but for some reason knowing (1) How not to suffocate in space and (2) how to kill the big white mutant alien in Project Firestart come to mind.

You cannot slide the Annie Oakley under the door yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly what you have in mind, but I have skipped puzzles in Scribblenauts Unlimited. I would put something together to try and beat the puzzle in front of me, but doing so would trigger the solution to a later puzzle I hadn't even read yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sorensen

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I've always wondered what would happen if you headed straight for the Jefferson Memorial in Fallout: 3 though. I hear if you head straight for the Citadel in that game you can beat the game in record time.

Also in Fallout: 3 /Point Lookout I jotted down the code to unlock the Chinese Bunker in later playthroughs so I didn't have to do jump through the hoops to blow up that Chinese Sub.

And someone actually beat Myst???? I'm still working on the second puzzle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
ponghalo wrote:
No, but I've always wondered what would happen if you headed straight for the Jefferson Memorial in Fallout: 3 though. I hear if you head straight for the Citadel in that game you can beat the game in record time.

Also in Fallout: 3 /Point Lookout I jotted down the code to unlock the Chinese Bunker in later playthroughs so I didn't have to do jump through the hoops to blow up that Chinese Sub.

It's so easy once you know the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
ponghalo wrote:

I'm still wandering around the island wondering what to do other than flipping through all the possible numbers on the combination safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are playing through realMyst right now. We've both beat Myst on our own, ages ago, and we are playing it together now... which means we also now own three version of Myst... his, mine, and now realMyst...

If you need any subtle hints that don't give you the solutions to the puzzles, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls