Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG Bugs

Subject: What happened to walkthroughs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to be able to write game walkthroughs on this site and link them to the game entries. I don't think it was a very popular feature, but I wrote at least one walkthrough for the game Puzzle Bots and now I can't find it anywhere. At one time there was even a link to my walkthrough at the bottom of my review of the game, but now that link is broken. Are walkthroughs deprecated? Are we supposed to use "Strategy" forum threads instead for the same purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the story behind it, but walkthroughs have been gone for a number of years now. Personally though, I think they had more bearing on VGG than the files do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
We removed them. There were very few of them every created, and they required a lot of upkeep on custom code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
So my walkthroughs are gone. soblue

I'm glad I didn't write more of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
We removed them. There were very few of them every created, and they required a lot of upkeep on custom code.
With that argument you can take VGG down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
FFB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
dakarp wrote:
With that argument you can take VGG down.
Seconded. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how much value the Geek triad would have for me without VGG. The older I get the more difficult it is to try and schedule gaming events with other people. With video games, I only have my own schedule to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I'm not sure how much value the Geek triad would have for me without VGG. The older I get the more difficult it is to try and schedule gaming events with other people. With video games, I only have my own schedule to consider.

I came here for BGG but I stayed for VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

I can't believe you guys would just willingly blow away user contributions iike this. You could have archived them in forum posts.

At the very LEAST, post a warning - 'Hey everyone, in 1 month we're going to eliminate walkthroughs, save your hard work now before it's lost'.

I also don't get the upkeep stuff. The code was already written to create and display them, what upkeep is there? Unless you're adding or changing features, the code should be essentially static at that point. And that's a choice, not upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
In fact, we were changing implementations, which was why there was upkeep. When we removed them, there hadn't been a new walkthrough contributed for 3 years (not counting links to off-site hosted walk-throughs). I can count on one hand with fingers to spare the total number of substantial walkthroughs submitted that weren't just links, and of those, most, seemed to be copied from elsewhere. The feature was almost entirely unused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

The walkthroughs are still in the database. I don't see any submitted by you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Hirocon wrote:
I don't think it was a very popular feature, but I wrote at least one walkthrough for the game Puzzle Bots and now I can't find it anywhere.

I took a look at it in the database--it is basically one sentence, just the beginning of a walkthrough. Either you never finished it, never submitted the finished walkthrough, or the walkthrough was never saved properly (this was a buggy feature, another reason we removed it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
frumpish wrote:

The walkthroughs are still in the database. I don't see any submitted by you.

Really? I wonder where they are. I can't imagine I submitted them as anything but walkthroughs.

Found it! I must not have seen the walkthrough option.

Don't Escape: Walkthrough

And found the other one I knew I made.

Roswell's 66th Anniversary: Walkthrough.

That makes me feel a lot better they weren't deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Hirocon wrote:
I don't think it was a very popular feature, but I wrote at least one walkthrough for the game Puzzle Bots and now I can't find it anywhere.

I took a look at it in the database--it is basically one sentence, just the beginning of a walkthrough. Either you never finished it, never submitted the finished walkthrough, or the walkthrough was never saved properly (this was a buggy feature, another reason we removed it).

Any chance of it ever coming back in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Hirocon wrote:

It was much more than a sentence, and it was saved properly at one time. The link in my review used to work, and it used to bring up a full, detailed walkthrough, written by me.

I'm not saying I entirely disagree with deprecating a feature that nobody had used in three years, but it would have been nice to migrate the few real walkthroughs that had been written over to forum threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.