Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Inspired by captainraffi's nascent Red Nuzlocke, I've decided to blow the proverbial dust off of my Platinum ROM and take it for a spin for the added challenge of a Wedlocke.

Though this session is more or less for my own amusement, feel free to follow along and comment as you wish. I'll try to include as many image snips and witty commentary as possible.

-----

A brief history:

I grew up playing the Pokemon games, while also dabbling in the TCG. Frankly, the games are fantastic, and I've played all of them save Generation VI due to my lack of a 3DS or a way to consequently emulate them. After the games grew stale following several play throughs, I found the Nuzlocke challenge, and these rules have elevated the games to some of my all-time favorites, even today.

I've successfully completed Nuzlockes for Red, Soul Silver, Pearl, Black, and a Wedlocke for White 2 (Challenge Mode). I've... unsuccessfully completed Nuzlockes for Crystal, Ruby, Heart Gold, and most notoriously, Platinum. I've tried Platinum twice, and suffered total team wipes at the Cyrus battle in the Distortion World both times. It's utterly brutal, and nothing in Pearl and Diamond compares.

It's been years since I attempted Nuzlocke or Wedlocke challenge, but I'm really in the mood for them again, and with the miracle of emulation, it's a piece of cake to set up. As a result of the unchained HUBRIS of my adulthood, I've decided to tackle Platinum not only as a Nuzlocke, but a Wedlocke.

I've used this term a few times, so what is it? How is this challenge different than a Nuzlocke, which is already challenging? Here are the complete rules, which I'll be using for this session:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1. If a Pokémon faints, then it is considered dead. (Some people permanently box their fainted Pokémon, but I'm going to release mine; it makes it all the more sad, I think.)

2. You can only catch the first eligible Pokémon per area (e.g. city, route, forest, cave, etc.). If you fail to catch the Pokémon, then you do not get one for that area.

2a. "Eligible" means the following: 1) The Pokémon cannot be genderless, and 2) the gender ratio of your team must be kept balanced. (If I have two males and one female on my team, the next Pokémon that will count as my encounter for that area is a female, as each Pokémon needs a partner.)

2b. I will be using the Dupes Clause. The Dupes Clause essentially states that Pokémon you already own do not count as encounters for that area, and I will be using a limit of five (5).

3. You must nickname your Pokémon. This is to ensure that you develop a bond with your Pokémon and then cry bitter tears if they die.

4. Your Pokémon are partnered and fight in pairs. That means that in-battle, you can only switch to your Pokémon's partner. Outside of battle, however, you can mix up the ordering of the pairs (but not the Pokémon that make up the pairs themselves). The only time during a battle that you can switch Pokémon pairs is if both Pokémon in a pair faint, or, in other words, die.

4a. If a Pokémon's partner faints, it can get a new eligible partner from the PC. If there are no eligible Pokémon in the PC, then you catch another eligible Pokémon from a new area.

5. You cannot deposit your Pokémon in the PC UNLESS it is absolutely necessary to make progress in the game (i.e. if HMs become necessary and none of your current Pokémon are capable of learning said HMs).

5a. In this situation, you must withdraw two Pokémon that are to be used as temporary HM slaves. they cannot be used in battle and can only be used outside of battle for HM purposes. They must be deposited, and your previous pairing withdrawn, as soon as possible.

My plan is to attempt this as best as I am able. I'll be using the No-Trade Evolution ROM edits (NTEVO) for Platinum so I can access all available campaign options without being clipped by the inability to evolve through trading (honestly, I've found these ROMs to be my favorite way to play these games, period).

I'll start this session as soon as I'm able, using the GeekRoller to select my starter Pokemon (1 = Turtwig, 2 = Chimchar, 3 = Piplup)...

1d3 = (1) = 1

Turtwig it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 926692. Annowme
  • 1d3 =
  • (1) =
  • Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 pm
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
The journey begins!

After being introduced to my stereotypical rival/friend, Barry (who appears to have forgotten to take his Ridulin dosage today), I agreed to go with him to meet Professor Rowan and get some Pogeymanz. Mom told me not to go into the tall grass, but Barry insisted and I am extremely weak in terms of resisting peer pressure.

Rowan showed up and gave us Pokemon for free, though his assistant, Dawn, thought he was indulging too much elderly sentimentalism. I chose Turtwig, per my GeekRoll above. Given that Turtwig will (hopefully) live long enough to evolve fully into the Grass/Ground Torterra, I named him "Andreas," like the San Andreas fault.

Barry chose Chimchar because he's a chump. I stomped Chimchar after spamming Withdraw. He was a sucker and fell after only a few Tackles to the smug face. Barry was heartbroken. We licked our wounds and headed to Verity Lakefront to, you know, catch a legendary Pokemon with two <lvl 7 starters. We met a strange man there, named Cyrus, who muttered something about space and time. For some reason, I have a feeling that a yet-to-be-triggered plot arc will ensue, which may or may not result in Cyrus murdering me in cold blood.

He left, and so did we. We went to Sandgem Town to thank Rowan for our Pokemon, mom gave me running shoes, and Dawn taught me how to catch 'em all on Route 202. I quickly caught a female Starly, whom I named "Fury," since hell hath no fury like a Pokemon scorned, as they say. I trained Fury and Andreas up to lvl 10 and went to Jublife City after stomping several dilettantes on the way. I met Looker of the International Police and the director of Jublife's Poketch app for my iPhone 6. I met two trainers in the Pokemon Trainer School, mopped the floor with them, and then met up with Barry for a town map.

I briefly went into Route 218, got an Old Rod from a fisherman, and snagged a lvl 7 male Magikarp, whom I named "Torrent." He splashes like the best of them. Going north to Route 204, I defeated several new trainers and killed the Wurmple I found there, thus negating the route for a new catch. Going into the cave just to the north, I snagged a lvl 4 female Psyduck, whom I named "Confit." Delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
After exiting Jublife City, I ran into Barry again. He was all hopped up on Mountain Dew and ready to rumble, so I let loose the birds of war. His Starly was one-shot by Fury's Wing Attack, and Chimchump went down with two Wing Attacks. Piece of cake, bruh. From there, I ventured further into Route 203 and bruised up some trainers, beginning a grind fest as I leveled up my nascent team. I caught a male Abra right off the bat. I chucked a blind Pokeball at him since I knew he would just Teleport away as his first move. I nabbed him and named him Neo. Kadabra has one spoon, Alakazam has two spoons, but Neo knows deep down that there is no spoon.

After I ground it out for a bit with Confit and Andreas, I went into the Oreburgh Gate where a rotund hiker approached me in the dark and gave me a precious item, Rock Smash, so I could smash rocks. Since I didn't have the Oreburgh Gym badge, I could only use the hidden machine to smash faces in combat, but I had no use for it as of yet. I caught a female Zubat to pair up with Neo, whom I named Cronut... because Cronuts are an awesome yuppie food and Zubat eventually evolves into the supremely-useful Crobat. So there. I then entered Oreburgh City, toured the town, saw that Barry apparently beat Roark already, and then told me that the same gym leader was in the mine and could not be challenged by me yet. In the tower apartment north of the gym, I met a miner who is clearly also a pro Nuzlocker.

I ventured north to Route 207 and caught a male Ponyta and named him Seabiscuit, then I went into the Oreburgh Mine and caught a male Geodude and named him Bruh. You mad, bruh? What, bruh? Chill, bruh. I pity all female Geodudes. But then, would they be Geodudettes, or just suffer eternal gender confusion and existential angst? Unsure. I met up with Roark in the mine, he said he'd meet me in the gym, then I crushed two other trainers. Since these are both male, they can only pair with female Pokemon on my team. Since my team is full, they are purely in reserve as of now.

Since Confit was one-shotting every Geodude and Onix in town with Water Gun (being Special based against purely Defense stat opponents with a 4x weakness to Water...), I decided that Confit would be the brave duck to take on Roark's gym. Well, she one-shotted the two warm-up trainers (Jonathan, you're an upstart punk--shut it!). I then rolled right into Roark. One-shot Geodude. One-shot Onix. Then Cranidos came out...

Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no. In true Nuzlocke form, Cranidos gets a critical hit on Headbutt with his off-the-charts Attack stat. I straight-up assumed Confit was going to be reduced to pate and spread over a Cranidos-shaped toast point, but no, she survived with four hit points. FOUR HIT POINTS. Confit fired off Water Gun and all but killed Cranidos, but there was now another round to go. Well, I figured that Confit would die, so I'd have to switch to Torrent who was untrained, who would then also die, so I'd lose a whole pair in one go. I had no other option--suicide Water Gun knowing that Cranidos was faster.

"Roark uses a Potion on Cranidos."

"Confit uses Water Gun."

"It's super effective!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confit's name is great. I was telling my wife about it, and she thought it was awesome.

Definitely interesting following this one along not having played that game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Confit's name is great. I was telling my wife about it, and she thought it was awesome.
Thanks! I thought it was clever. Also, Duck Confit, man--so tasty.

captainraffi wrote:
Definitely interesting following this one along not having played that game at all.
That's how I found out about Black 2/White 2. I played Black, but didn't know an expanded (and really, really fantastic) follow-up was produced until I saw a Nuzlocke thread about it.

Stay tuned for another update today or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
slight rules confusion - are you required to teach HMs to a pokemon on your current team ahead of teaching them to a dedicated HM slave, if one of your current Mons can learn it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
slight rules confusion - are you required to teach HMs to a pokemon on your current team ahead of teaching them to a dedicated HM slave, if one of your current Mons can learn it?
The Pokemon on my team must learn HMs before any Pokemon in the PC. I can only create an HM slave if I cannot teach said HMs to my active roster. If I make an HM slave at some point, then I can only continue using it if my (potentially) new team members cannot learn the HMs in question. Obviously for Fly, Surf, Waterfall, and Rock Climb, that's not a bad deal... for Cut and Rock Smash, well, not so much.

tl; dr -- If my active team can learn the HMs, they must. No exceptions.

EDIT: Wedlockes are hard, man. Really hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Following my victory over Roark in Oreburgh City, I returned to Jublife City whereupon I found two strangely-dressed progressive spacemen accosting Professor Rowan and Dawn. I approached the cadre as they were hurling threats at the Professor, who then, like a boss, gives them the hand and starts talking to me, instead. He suggested that I take up the mantle of burgeoning Pokemon league champion so that I can fill out his Pokedex by the controlled enslavement of Pokemon from every corner of the Sinnoh region. High-five, Row-dawg. The spacemen, now identified as belonging to Team Galactic, get pissed at Rowan and escalate their demands. He shuts them down like children, then they attack us. Fury and Dawn's Piplup make short work of their petty Zubats or whatever-the-heck-starter-crap they have. I carefully made my way through the Ravaged Path to the northern, separated section of Route 204. I picked up the TM for Bullet Seed (thoroughly meh) and did a little grinding before heading north to Floraroma Town. Fury dinged lvl 14 and evolved into Staravia--my first evolution on this challenge run!

There was a Bug trainer there who almost killed Cronut because his attacks sucked so much (Leech Life and Supersonic... gulp). I swapped to Andreas and Fury for the second double battle of Platinum and whooped their Pachirisus. Thankfully, those little squirrel Pokemon dole out generous XP. I've historically taken the two sections of Route 204 (pre-Oreburgh gym and post-Oreburgh Gym) to be unique locations, so I caught a wild male Bidoof and named it DerpMaster. Let's face it, of all the derpy Pokemon across the generations, Bidoof is the derpiest of the derps.

(Bonus: search Google for "Bidoof Derp" and just enjoy yourself. Clearly, I am not alone in my assessment of Bidoof's derp factor)

Floraroma Town is a nice place. Lots of flowers, lots of hippies selling berries, and some woman who gives you a "Sprayduck," which I think is actually a bong. A nice girl gave me the TM for Pluck, which is a moderate Flying move which can eat other Pokemon's berries. I instantly taught it to Cronut since his attacks are more or less nonexistant. Overall, there is not much to do in this sleepy town, so I headed east into Route 205 and a little girl told me that "spacemen" kidnapped her father and locked him up in the Valley Windworks. I went east and explored the area and caught a female Buizel whom I named "Tails."

Team Galactic never actually goes to space. LAME.

So some dude is blocking the entrance so I fight him and like a wimp, he throws a tantrum and locks the door with a "nyah nyah!" attitude. He also conveniently mentions that another key to the building is with his cohort in Floraroma Meadow. One plot-hook later, and I pummeled the other two Galactic goons in the meadow into submission. They fled. I got the key. Bingo. Now here is the LONG part of this session... the grinding. At this point, my team was pretty underleveled. Fury and Andreas were lvl 14, Cronut was lvl 9 and Neo was lvl 4, Confit was lvl 15 and Torrent was lvl 7. I knew for a fact that a certain person in a certain upcoming plot device has their ace at lvl 17... so this was not going to fly.

tl, dl -- I ground like a wild man, which equates to mashing the "A" button and running back to the Pokecenter.

The only snag during this grind was a Pachirisu who used Bide. I expected Cronut's Supersonic to confuse her, but it missed, and my next attack was queued up as Bite. Shocker, Pachirisu's Bide is a critical hit.

Neo was the real project here. He does NOTHING but Teleport until lvl 16, whereupon he evolves into Kadabra, learns Confusion, and proceeds to MELT FACES with his astronomical Special Attack and Speed stats. However, he is paired with Cronut, who, while being speedy, is a freaking Zubat, so his offensive capabilities (Pluck helps!) are severely limited. Fast forward and DING!

From here, the grind was a piece of cake. Neo went from lvl 16 to lvl 17 in about forty real-world seconds, since Confusion MELTED THE FACES of everything in his path. Seriously. One-shot. One-shot. One-shot. I put him back in his Pokeball so he could think about all of the faces he melted. Cronut, Andreas, Confit, and Fury dinged lvl 17 in no time. I am holding off training Torrent for now until I get the Experience Share. Swap-train grinding that sucker to lvl 20 would take an eternity, and Confit is pretty tanky as-is for now.

I ventured into Valley Windworks and mopped the floor with two minor Galactic grunts, and then I met up with Commander Mars. Here's the thing with Team Galactic--we don't know much about them at this point, except that they have a fancy name, wear fancy clothes, and have Commanders. "Commander" Mars talks a lot of smack about changing the world and harvesting energy and suppressing the minorities to create a master race (okay, not that last one), then her cosmic fascist comrade, Cheren, pipes up and tells her to temper her behavior. Mars gets pissed and takes it out on me--ME... a little kid in a dumb riding cap!

She leads with a Zubat which knows Toxic and her ace is a lvl 17 Purugly with a lot of Speed and Attack. I considered what strategy I would take here as, quite honestly, I've lost good Pokemon to this Purugly in other Nuzlockes on Platinum. In the end, I enacted one of my favorite ways to play--spam Curse on a beefy Pokemon. The important boon for me at this point is that when Andreas dinged lvl 17, he learned Curse. What does Curse do? For Ghost Pokemon, it halves their health and puts a really rough, uncurable damage-every-turn ailment on the opponent's Pokemon. For all other Pokemon, it lowers Speed by a level and raised both Attack and Defense by a level. The important thing to note here is that on slower Pokemon, losing Speed doesn't really matter, since they're going to go second anyway. The fight with the Zubat when thusly:

1. Zubat uses Toxic
2. Andreas uses Curse
2a. Andreas takes mild poison damage
3. I use an Antidote on Andreas
4. Zubat uses Leech Life
6. Zubat uses Toxic
7. Andreas uses Curse
7a. Andreas takes mild poison damage...

You get the idea. I did this rotation four times, and Andreas was at about half-health since Zubat used Bite once and that hits for more than measly Leech Life. I then used Razor Leaf twice and knocked out Zubat (it's not very effective at 1/2 power against Flying, but Andreas was sitting at +4 Attack). Then Purugly came out. Okay, I meant to snip a picture of Purugly to show you in this session report, but after taking three damage from Fake Out, Andreas one-shot the fat cat with a single Razor Leaf so... yay me? Fittingly, this Purugly always gives 666 XP upon knocking it out--perhaps Nintendo is trying to tell us something about cats? Balderdash!

Mars is shamed and evacuated the Windworks, taking her grunts and Cheren with her, and the little girl is reunited with her father, and happy music plays in the background.

Of important note, Andreas dinged lvl 18 given the whopping XP from the Purugly, and evolved into Grotle, which is a sick name. This concludes my session thus far--my team is looking very good right now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Compared to the grindfest of my previous session, my trip north from the Valley Windworks through Eterna Forest and into Eterna City was a breeze. Route 205 is immediately north of the Valley Windworks (technically I was already on it when I went to confront Team Galactic, but there is no grass there, so no encounters). Now that Neo has evolved, his killing potential was fully unchained. He tore through everything on Route 205--Rock trainers, Grass trainers, Normal trainers, Fire trainers, Water trainers... a massacre! Before this brutality, however, I switched to Cronut so I could actually catch something without one-shotting it. I came across a Shellos, whom I named "Snotling," because that's what it looks like--a piece of snot. Gross. Snotling sailed away to my PC, then I ventured into Eterna Forest where I met Cheryl. Cheryl is a sweet lady with a Chansey who is scared by Team Galactic, so she voluntold me to babysit her through the forest. This is awesome, however, since she insta-heals my team after each battle and fights by my side against wild Pokemon and trainers.

I took this opportunity to grind since I got free and perpetual healing. There are a lot of juicy Pokemon in Eterna Forest which can dole out a lot of XP, like Dustox, Beautifly, Buneary, Ghastly, and Cascoon/Silcoon. Before I started my trek/grind with Cheryl, I wandered around until I got an encounter. A Hoothoot! These only come out at night in the forest, and with a low encounter rate--huzzah! I captured the male Hoothoot and named it "Archimedes." I got my entire team to lvl 21 (sans Torrent, for aforementioned reasons, and Fury, as you'll see).

Cheryl bade me adieu and gave me a Soothe Bell, which gradually enhances the happiness of the Pokemon which holds it. There are a few Pokemon that require maxed happiness to evolve... one of them is GOLBAT. Oh, imagine that? I have a Zubat! I gave Cronut the Soothe Bell ASAP. If I play my cards right, Cronut will evolve into Golbat and then evolve into Crobat on the next level--that would be ideal.

I entered Eterna City, healed up, got my Explorer's Kit from the old prospector, and ran into a salty Team Galacti grunt by the bicycle shop who bragged about the money-in-da-bank in Team Galactic's offshore account. I then came across Barry north of the Pokemon Center (and south of the "Galactic Building") and panicked, as I thought he was going to fight me and I totally forgot about the battle. However, he said he wanted to show me the ancient Pokemon statue in town. When we got there, guess who else was looking at the statue?

That's right. Cyrus. /shudder

He muttered to himself about time, space, rebirth, and ancient secrets... then he shoved us aside and killed us with his eyes. In the distance, someone's precious Pokemon was murdered by his sheer spite. One begins to imagine he has a direct link to Team Galactic... especially since their goons are in town and there is a giant PLANET-SHAPED GALACTIC BUILDING IN ETERNA CITY, RIGHT NEXT TO THE ANCIENT POKEMON STATUE.

Once Cyrus and [his] grunts left the scene, I went back to the second half of Route 205 and caught a Dustox, whom I named "ChevyChase" and then over to Route 211 where I caught a Meditite, whome I named "Seagal."

I mowed down a few more trainers and then went back to Eterna City with my sights set on Gardenia, the Gym leader, and her badge. Gardenia specializes in Grass-type Pokemon and has a wicked ace, a lvl 22 Roserade. Roserade is a force to be reckoned with, sporting extremely high Speed and Special Attack, with a bit of bulk to boot. Gardenia's openers are a Turtwig with Reflect and Sunny Day, and a Cherrim with several tricks. I opted to go with Fury for the Gym, and she soloed the whole thing without having to switch.

Turtwig went down in two hits, but only after using Reflect on the team. Bummer. Cherrim did a few stat upgrade moves, but I took it slow so that I could let Reflect wear off. I had to heal with a Super Potion since Cherrim started spamming Magical Leaf. After two Wing Attacks once Reflect was over, Cherrim became compost. Then Roserade came on the scene...

Roserade is a third-level evolution (Budew --> Roselia --> Roserade) and you can tell. The stats on this thing are dense. Thankfully, Reflect was no longer present. That said, even with Grass moves being 1/2x strength against Fury, Magical Leaf still shaved off twenty-five HP in a shot. I whittled down with Wing Attack, but Gardenia then popped a Super Potion and my progress was lost. Fury attacked again and got Roserade's health below %50, and could probably kill the nightmare plant in another hit, but Roserade's Magical Leaf hit Fury and knocked her down to twenty-four hit points...! I knew I had to push Fury to attack one more time, come what may. Magical Leaf hits again... and Fury survives with three hit points! Incredible. Wing Attack lands and knocks out Gardenia's ace, winning me the Forest Badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Sword in the Stone reference! Great name for the Hoothoot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
Awesome Sword in the Stone reference! Great name for the Hoothoot!
I am quite pleased with it! That said, hopefully I'll never play with Archimedes since that would require the DEATH of one of my beloved team members...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
After mopping the floor in Gardenia's gym with Fury's... fury... I met up with Cynthia, a wandering trainer, who gave me the HM for Cut. There were a lot of shrubs nearby so I taught Cut to Andreas (my only Pokemon who could learn it) and ventured back into Eterna Forest to check out the Old Chateau. Gardenia was standing outside the broken, overgrown fence and told me that she's not going in there because she's a gym leader and has more important things to do... not because she's scared. Of course not, Gardenia. After a sound whooping by an upstart kid I'd be scared of anything, let alone a dark and decrepit mansion sitting without context in a forest filled with bunnies.

Literally on the first step of entering the Old Chateau I was attacked by a wild Ghastly. I caught her, and named her Banshee. This is a little disappointing, not because Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar isn't an awesome addition to my team, but because there is a one-and-one-only Pokemon encounter here in the upstairs TV room. Normally (at night) you can interact with the spooky TV and Rotom will attack you. Rotom is such a wonderfully novel Pokemon, in that it is Electric/Ghost type, basically representing a poltergeist/spectral white noise concept. Rotom gets a ton of cray-cray "evolutions" outside of the main campaign because you can have it interact with a lawnmower to become a haunted lawnmower, or a refrigerator to become a haunter refrigerator etc... hilarious. That said, I missed out, but I'm not sad, because Ghastly is awesome and Banshee will likely swap in if anyone bites it in my team.

cry

I then went back to Eterna City and cut the shrubs in front of the Team Galactic building. It's a snazzy place, really. As a bonus, just listen to the music they play in this place--it's like sinister lounge jazz:

Looker was just inside, in disguise, and told me that he's trying to infiltrate the organization. I talked with the Galactic "representative" in the first room who told me that if I was not hear to hand over my Pokemon for their dark purposes, I should GTFO. He then told me that he would "bring the pain" like Galactic was doing with the Bicycle Shop owner. Poor Bicycle Shop owner. Most of this complex is a cake walk, but there is a single Scientist trainer who is a big threat, and the boss of the building is a monster. The Scientist has a lone lvl 20 Kadabra and he'll use X Sp. Attack on it in the first round, which guarantees that Confusion will OHKO anything that is not resistant to Psychic. I chanced it with Fury and "brought the pain" through a OHKO Wing Attack, because at least Kadabra is a glass cannon. I hit another Galactic trainer in there and dinged Cronut from lvl 21 to lvl 22, resulting in an evolution!

After grabbing a lot of loot and cleaning house with the other Team Galactic grunts, I found myself at the (admittedly very cool-looking) top floor, where the Bicycle Shop owner showed no signs of having the pain brought to him, but instead, he was pleading with another apparent Galactic Commander, Jupiter, to give back his Clefairy and Buneary. She would have none of it.

Team Galactic's middle-management is operated solely by psycho-bitches

I stepped in to save the day, and made a series of critical errors... Oh my, so many errors. So I open with Andreas vs Zubat. NBD, right? Leech Life is a push-over move, just like last time--WING ATTACK WHAT?! Stupid me, Zubat learns Wing Attack at lvl 17, but I disregarded it since I taught Pluck to Cronut back at lvl 9 by TM. Zubat shaves off half of Andreas' health in a single shot! I deliberate, and switch to Fury. Fury's natural Intimidate ability really helps nerf Zubat's Attack stat, and she polishes off the bat with little effort. However, the real problem now raised its very ugly (and very stinky) head-Skuntank. Skuntank is the Dark/Poison evolution of Stunky. Stunky is a waste of space, and Skuntank is more or less a mediocre Pokemon. However, this Skuntank aptly lives up to its name, as it has a TON of HP and Defense. Putting the "tank" in Skuntank, for sure. Not to mention, this Skuntank has Night Slash, which is a 70 power Dark move with an inherent high critical hit rate...

"Fury uses Wing Attack!"

"Skuntank uses Night Slash! ... It's a critical hit! ... Fury faints!"

zombie

Okay, I swap to Andreas who is at half health. I hope for the same luck with Razor Leaf with its similar high crit rate. However, I don't even get a single attack in, as Skuntank barely edges out Andreas on Speed.

"Skuntank uses Night Slash! ... It's a critical hit! ... Andreas faints!"

Reeling, I swap in Cronut, who Plucks the eyes out of Skuntank and urinates on its corpse from mid-air... but not before I lost my starter and my first-catch Pokemon pair. Such is the escalated difficulty of the Wedlocke... the pair had to rely on each other, and now they are both gone--forever. I had to make a new box in my PC labeled "DEAD" and deposit them both there for the remainder of the save file. Ach, crimony! Now, I'll say this--one of the fun though double-edged parts of this challenge is that with my starter gone, I get to rotate in new Pokemon, but it's a demoralizing blow to lose your starter. Ouch, so much!

I decided that it was time to give Banshee and Archimedes a turn on the team, especially since they can both eventually benefit from the Hypnosis-Dream Eater spam combo, and switching back and forth, can pick up where the other left off. I went south to the Route gate and grabbed the Experience Share from one of Professor Rowan's assistants (Dawn's dad, actually, if I recall correctly...), but then I saved and stopped for the day.

Ugh. Morale is low. Anger is high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! Losing the starter has to hurt way more than the others. Rough night for Team Challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Oh no! Losing the starter has to hurt way more than the others. Rough night for Team Challenge.
No kidding! Both my starter and my ace are toast. It's rough--agreed that we both took some bad hits. That said, it's cool to explore even more nuances of the challenge since a starter is so taken for granted. Then poof! it's gone and now I'll have to turn to other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Pokemon Platinum
-Now with even more death!-

I can't access my screen shots at the moment, but I'll add them when I'm able.

I ventured south of Eterna City onto the Bicycle Bridge and duked it out with many a trainer. Most of them sported Starlys, Staravias, Ponytas, and Pikachus--and all of them were easy targets. Neo continued melting faces, especially when he leveled up and learned Psybeam, which hits like a freight train with his Special Attack. As always, he's a delicate flower, so I'm more or less perpetually in fear of even a casual crit felling him...

Moving south, I popped back onto Route 207 just above Oreburgh City. When I was last there, it was impossible to move north because of a connecting ramp which was impassable by foot. Now that I had my sweet, sweet bike from Eterna City, I could swap gears and zoom up and down the ramp, making an easy connection to previous points of interest pre-Fly. Underneath the Bicycle Bridge is a whole other route filled with goodies and new Pokemon. I moved into the tall grass and encountered a male Machop, whom I caught and named Stretch. I then fought a few trainers and headed north to the Wayward Cave. Historically, Wayward Cave has been considered two distinct entities due to having one major and obvious entrance, and a secret entrance underneath the bridge which is impossible to see... you just have to bump north at a certain point where your sprite is hidden and hope you find it.

I started by going into the main cave, which consists of a lot of right-angle tunnels filled with smashable rocks. In the far north corner there is a passage to the west where Mira, a lost Pokemon trainer, asks that you join her so she can find her way out of the cave network. I should note that you need to use Flash in this cave, however, in Platinum (and I think all games Generation IV and onward [and maybe Generation III]) you still get a small circle of light around your sprite as opposed to total, unnavigable darkness. I cheated, frankly, and loaded up a map of Wayward Cave on the Googlewebs and just used common sense to find my way. Much like Eterna Forest and Cheryl, Mira's company allows for a royal grindfest of insta-healing post-battle.

Running into nigh-limitless Geodudes (and dudettes) and Zubats, dupes clause continued to ping without note. Bronzors also populate the cave... BUT THEY HAVE NO GENDER (like Magnemite) so I am not allowed to catch them. n.b. I once played a Wedlocke in (I think) Soul Silver where I allowed gender-less Pokemon to be wildcards in pairs. I mean, really, there are so few of them, it's not a huge deal. ANYWAY I am playing this challenge by stated original rules, so gender-less Bronzor are off-limits. I then ran into a male Onix whom, after quite a bit of struggle, I caught and named Pendragon.

Mira and I continued smashing things together. She has a lvl 20 Kadabra, who happily melted faces alongside Neo. We crushed many trainers, one of whom had a scary Gible (the pseudo-legendary base Pokemon for Generation IV [Gible --> Gabite --> GARCHOMP]). I thought it was great to easily dispatch these trainers... until I met a freaking Camper with a Shinx who OHKO Confit with Spark (I currently had DerpMaster in my party as am HM slave for Cut, so Torrent was thankfully safe in my PC at this point). Then I got into a very sticky situation with two other Campers since I had Banshee fighting alongside of Mira' Kadabra. The Kadabra was, admittedly, doing a lot of the heavy lifting in these fights, which is why I swapped in my weaker pairs to train them up. Banshee really only had Confuse Ray and Night Shade on her side, neither of which are heavy moves. One camper had a lvl 17 Buneary (NBD, right? It's a freaking bunny).

WRONG.

The Buneary started spamming Frustration, which increases in damage output the more the Pokemon dislikes its trainer (the inverse being Return, for Pokemon who adore their trainers). This hit for HUGE damage, which makes me wonder what the Camper does to this poor Buneary out-of-battle. Should we contact the Pokemon Protection League? I suspect a serious about of physical and emotional abuse is necessary to make Frustration this powerful. Poor Buneary, your trainer is clearly a monster. Granted, being on the receiving end of this Frustration, Mira's Kadabra got demolished. Banshee was left alone, and Buneary used Foresight, which allows Normal type moves to hit Ghost type Pokemon. Well, I used Confuse Ray, but Buneary fought through the confusion and OHKO Banshee with Frustration. I swapped in Archimedes who did an amazing job in delaying Buneary through Hynosis, but I made a grave error when, after Peck was doing so little damage, I used Uproar. Uproar's side effect is to prevent Pokemon from going to sleep, but I did not realize that it also WAKES UP sleeping Pokemon. Guess what? Frustration. OHKO. Archimedes died next to Banshee's wilted, gassy, corspe-thing. I then hit rage mode and swapped in Neo, who Psybeamed the Buneary into an alternate dimension, hopefully one where his trainer was kind, gentle, and not addicted to Pokemon abuse.

Of course, Mira "magic healed" my fallen comrades after the battle, but I had to consider them deceased.

The silver lining to this story is that I was able to exit Wayward Cave's main chamber and locate the secret section which is not connected to the main network of tunnels. I not only navigated the tricky bike ramp and jump puzzle to get the TM for Earthquake, but I caught a female Gible! I named her Princess. When I went back to the Pokemon Center in Oreburgh City, I rearranged by team. Neo and Cronut are still paired, of course, but I decided to pair Stretch with Princess, and withdrew Cynthia's gift egg from Eterna City to "pair" with Torrent. Hopefully, it will hatch into a female Togepi so I can maintain the link with Torrent. Having (eventually) Gyarados paired with Togekiss would be awesome.

Until next time.

I have a ton of work to do for my current class next week, so I'll likely have little or no activity on this session thread for that time. I'll resume as I can ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Platinum / Diamond / Pearl. Do you get access to supplements? It sounds like Neo could use some iron and HP up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Oh yes, there are lots of supplements, but they are currently unavailable until I get to, I believe, Veilstone City which is (again, I think) three cities from now (Hearthome City, Solacean Town, Veilstone City). It's the equivalent to the Department Store in each of the Generations' games. I plan to stock up as soon as I'm there, I assure you.

Neo is a glass cannon no question. I hope to pump him up as much as possible defensively.

The Neo/Cronut pair is definitely suited for very fast, surgical attacks. Neither have strong Defense and they both have many weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh damn. Brutal. RIP Confit, I was rooting for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Confit has gone to the great charcuterie board in the sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
I'm feverishly finishing my paper and will be done by August 1st. I am SO itching to continue this Wedlocke. Stay tuned for incoming updates next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Okay, I'm back!

After listening to the Team Galactic Eterna Building music about thirteen times, I got myself pumped to continue my journey and pick up where I stopped last time.

I made my way east through MOUNT CORONET and met up with... who else? FREAKING CYRUS, who had all sorts of esoteric and unsettling things to say to me. He is really into this whole "scrap the current state of all being" thing and frankly, that's not something an innocent teen boy is concerned about and I tried to end the conversation as soon as possible. I walked a few steps further and ran into a Clefairy! Ah, cute (and a terrifying space monster who somehow crashed into the world and started breeding...). I named her Navi, since she reminds me of that really awful fairy from Zelda: The Ocarina of Time... (you know what I mean... HEY!!!).

I exited MOUNT CORONET and headed east through Route 208 and fought all of the trainers there to no issue. The encounters I had were bland, and honestly, I cannot recall what I caught there... oops. I got the Odd Keystone from a sweet ninja karate master (which will have ZERO effect on my single-player game, as it unlocks Spiritomb after a lot of online hijinks). I trudged through into Hearthome City where I explored every possible inch, save Amity Square, because all of the "cute" Pokemon I had were no eligible (the attendant made sure to rub in the fact that my Grotle, Andreas, was six feet under). I ran around some more and my mysterious egg hatched! Out popped a Togepi, which I named Erroneous (serious bonus points if you catch the reference!). I then casually went back through MOUNT CORONET to the previous route to train through Vs. Seeker... AND THEN STRETCH DIED BECAUSE OF A FREAKING GEODUDE USING SELFDESTRUCT!!! I tried to run away since the experience is so bad from Geodudes. Nope. "Can't Escape!" followed by Selfdestruct = OHKO Stretch.

Ugh. So sad. I had high hopes for an eventual Machamp, since they are boss incarnate. This part was exceedingly boring. Basically, I trained like the dickens against Hiker Kevin and Youngster Kyle, and their sweet, sweet, experience came tricking in so that both Princess and Cronut evolved!

Hearthome was more or less exhausted, so I went to the Contest Hall and met up with my mom ('sup, mom!) and Fantina, the local gym leader WHO IS SO FRANCH. She was all "c'est moi!" and "le fantastique!" and "le petit dejuneur!" and I was like "gurl, pleassse." Basically, I checked out the last remaining open building and met a guy who absolutely channelled the philosophical essence of the fun of Nuzlocke challenges, then I went into Fantina's gym, and, frankly, Cronut with a Dread Plate used BITE to amazing success, and the entire gym was a cake walk. I know previous gyms had a lot of fanfare in this session report, but Fantina was a faceroll. Her Misimagius (her ace) even used Psybeam in Cronut's face for 2x damage and did about thirty damage. BOOM. I cleaned house, and taught her TM, Shadow Claw, to Princess.

I picked up an Eevee from Bebe next to the Pokemon Center and named it Skipper, with the full intention of evolving it via Water Stone into Vaporeon. Well, after a lot of grinding east of Hearthome City and heading into the Solaceon Ruins, I found my Water Stone and BOOM, little cat-dog-with-fins was mine! I also used the Exp. Share to boost Torrent until he grew into a BIG BAD GYARADOS. Seriously, there are few Pokemon as utterly badass as Gyarados. Then I spent some time training up Torrent and Nightshade (the Roselia I paired with the Magikarp) and then they got into a scuffle with a Cowgirl's Ponyta. Pontya used Stomp against Torrent, and since it was faster, caused Torrent to flinch. NBD, Torrent has a ton of HP. Then the Ponyta uses Stomp again... Torrent flinches again. Then Ponyta uses Stomp a third time... Torrent flinches again. What? Seriously? Three times in a row? I use a Super Potion on Torrent. Ponyta uses Stomp. It's a critical hit. Torrent faints...
I switch to Nightshade due to pairing, and unsurprisingly, Ponyta uses Flame Wheel and BAM, OHKO Nightshade.

Wow. Just wow. I spent almost an hour training both of them... then a FIRE TYPE knocks out my WATER TYPE through a flinch debacle. Outrageous! But then, such is the way of the Nuzlocker.

AYE! Well, I swapped in Tails the Buizel and Erroneous the Togepi and proceeded to train them without issue. Erroneous evolved into Toegetic because it LOVES ME SO MUCH. Just wait for the Shiny Stone... Togekiss is a total boss. With a few Heart Scales, it becomes a monster with Aura Blast and Air Slash. Welp, now I'm past Solaceon Town and going to explore some more... until next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaporion is an interesting choice, usually there are so many water pokemon available that it's my last pick. Is it harder to get water types in Nuzlocke because you've already caught a land pokemon in most zones? I figured you would've gone for almost any of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
Vaporion is an interesting choice, usually there are so many water pokemon available that it's my last pick. Is it harder to get water types in Nuzlocke because you've already caught a land pokemon in most zones? I figured you would've gone for almost any of the others.
Based on the needs of my team. I have no tanky Pokemon and I opted for a high Sp. Atk and HP Pokemon who can use Surf really well.

My favorite Eeveelution is Jolteon, but I'm holding out for Electrivire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm deliberately not catching some land pokemon in various places in my Nuzlocke so I can go back with a Super Rod and leave my options open. Of course, starting with Squirtle may make that irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
I'm deliberately not catching some land pokemon in various places in my Nuzlocke so I can go back with a Super Rod and leave my options open. Of course, starting with Squirtle may make that irrelevant.
That's not a bad idea. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to game your encounters in these challenges, since that means forgoing Pokemon earlier to catch them later etc... the min/max evens out without much issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |