Blue Dragon Plus
Quiz & Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15647 Posts
[1]  Prev «  620 , 621 , 622 , 623 , 624  Next »  [626] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Level 827! VGG chat about life and everything. And of course about √(-¾). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Have any of you played Far Cry 5?

I have not, but that game has been on my Steam Wish List for awhile now.

Interestingly, I played FC1, 2, and 3...but never pulled the trigger on 4, because I thought it looked like it got a bit "out there".

5 looked really good though. Heard great things, and the environment looks pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm thinking of it, I believe I managed to fix my mouse. Updated the drivers, and everything seems to be working now.

Of course, now I'm not really playing on the PC lately because I've gotten hooked on Red Dead Redemption II on the PS4 again. It is taking me forever to get through that game, although I know I'm getting pretty close to the end. Doesn't help that instead of focusing on the story missions, I randomly scurry off to do side missions, or go fishing, or go hunting, or go explore, or do pretty much anything else besides the actual missions.

Still a good time though. Easy to get lost in the immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
While I'm thinking of it, I believe I managed to fix my mouse. Updated the drivers, and everything seems to be working now.

Of course, now I'm not really playing on the PC lately because I've gotten hooked on Red Dead Redemption II on the PS4 again. It is taking me forever to get through that game, although I know I'm getting pretty close to the end. Doesn't help that instead of focusing on the story missions, I randomly scurry off to do side missions, or go fishing, or go hunting, or go explore, or do pretty much anything else besides the actual missions.

Still a good time though. Easy to get lost in the immersion.

Does the game have a timer -- as in "if you do not complete Mission A by a set time, it becomes harder or there are consequences in the game world"? I imagine that if time is a factor, the story missions beco0me that much more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDR2 doesn't have a timer but it has a few points where things change, so if you want to continue doing content before those various points, it makes sense to roam widely before the story gets too far along.

There are a small number of missable missions, but that's not the main issue.

While I personally did at least 40-50 hours of content before completing chapter 2, there is only one missable in that chapter, which is the bounty in Valentine. Since the most important 'upgrade' (of any kind) happens during the finale to Chapter 2, my recommendation to most folks would be to do absolutely everything that looks fun to them in Chapters 3 & 4.

There are reasons players might not want to do the same stuff in Chapter 5, Chapter 6, or Epilogue 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Have any of you played Far Cry 5?

It's marked down to $15 on PSN this week. I thought FC4 was entertaining but also self-consciously ridiculous. FC5 looks so serious. Worth a look?

I loved Far Cry 5. My daughter loved Far Cry 5. We've both individually beat it, beat it coop, and this year are going to new game + coop.

It's a pretty terrible game if you are looking for something that has any kind of cohesion or thematic sensibility. It's just really what I would call a complete brain stem of a game. Tonally it's a mess. Minute to minute gameplay revels in it's stupidity with non stop profanity and idiocy. Main story arc is super somber and serious. The two just don't mix at all and are a complete mess.

But as a ridiculously violent shenanigans simulator it is awesome. Walking down the middle of a road with a flame thrower setting vehicles full of bad guys speeding by you on fire and watching the truck crash, the people run out of the truck on fire and the truck exploding, setting off another vehicle that explodes that then blows up the bad guy road block is just brilliant. Sneaking around an enemy camp and getting three bad guys to line up just right so you can put a sniper round through all three of them, magical. Throwing a bunch of proximity mines into a camp and waiting for someone to set one off which chain reactions and sets them all off with a bunch of flaming barrels and causes massive flaming havoc, delightful.

But it really is a very stupid game. If you want something deep and meaningful stay very far away. If you just want pure destructive joy, jump in.

EDIT: as a non-brain stem game Far Cry Primal is far better. It's much more cohesive and very interesting and entertaining. Less explosive shenanigans but still shenanigans. And you get a pet Saber Tooth and pet Cave Bear. That's shenanigans right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up Far Cry Primal in this week's sale already - deal was even better. Excited to try it out soon.

It could easily be a year before the price on FC5 comes down this low again, but I'm not exactly grasping for stuff to play. Might hit PS+ at some point anyway. Hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The new Battle Royale game by the makers of Titanfall (Respawn) called "Apex Legends" is pretty good, I have to say. As a known connoisseur of the BR genre, I was impressed. At first blush, you'd think this was just another "BlackOut" (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4's Battle Royale mode) but that would be an incorrect assessment.

This game has an extremely good map, for one, with far more layers of verticality involved. The mantling and jumping are very smooth and easy. Several intriguing new ideas in the mix, as well, including the ability to respawn a killed teammate, which is something I've been saying should be a "thing" in this genre for the past few years now. Also, the gunplay, while somewhat frenetic at times, isn't anywhere near as stupidly fast or insane as it is in Blackout. Blackout's TTK (time-to-kill) is way too fast, while in this one, it feels just right.

Blackout simply lacks cover and concealment, totally ignoring half of what makes the BR genre tick. Apex Legends doesn't forget this portion of the recipe. Granted you won't win by playing entirely sneaky but it IS possible to play the avoidance game and get to the final few people, I've recently done it.

Graphics are great and stylized in the Titanfall way. It's set in the Titanfall universe so players will absolutely recognize their favorite weapons from the MP of Titanfall 2's Multi-Player.

There's a super good Ping mechanic for those odd ducks who somehow don't use mics when they play (or Discord, like the rest of us). So that helps with teamwork.

The only gripe right now is that you can ONLY play in 3-man squads. No Solo mode, no practice Bot mode (something it really could use to ease the learning curve for newcomers), and no Duo modes. According to the devs, however, more modes are incoming, so that will probably be something we see soon enough.

Sidenote
- It's entirely FREE.

Just download it from ORIGIN on PC or wherever consoles giveaway their free games. Any loot box stuff or unlocks are purely cosmetic and they even give percentages to get stuff on their site, as well, for those who gripe about loot boxes, etc...

What makes this a truly unique Battle Royale experience is that it's the first BR to have unique player archetypes that you play, with their own unique set of abilities. It's like ...Fortnite meets Overwatch meets Ring of Elysium and they had a baby. LOL

If I had to rate it as a BR, I'd give it a 9.0 It's very good, very fun, and even people without great shooting skills can bring something to the team by playing a Medic class or other type of support class. In fact, the combination of classes is a fun part of the whole shebang, as teams try to leverage their skills off of each other to achieve greater results than they would individually by using their skills.

For example, if I play Mirage, who can deploy holographic models of himself to distract or confuse opponents while my buddy plays the character who drop a huge smoke cloud on the battlefield, I can really generate confusion and mayhem.

If you have liked PUBG or Ring of Elysium (the only two really good BRs out there - as Blackout is trash) previously, then you'd almost certainly enjoy this one, I suspect. OR if you love Overwatch in theory but find the generic and somewhat bland nature of the deathmatching stultifying after a while, this would be perfect for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I put this here because there isn't a site entry for the game or I'd submit this as a review instead. My apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Picked up Far Cry Primal in this week's sale already - deal was even better. Excited to try it out soon.

It could easily be a year before the price on FC5 comes down this low again, but I'm not exactly grasping for stuff to play. Might hit PS+ at some point anyway. Hmm...
I heard Primal is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Since the most important 'upgrade' (of any kind) happens during the finale to Chapter 2, my recommendation to most folks would be to do absolutely everything that looks fun to them in Chapters 3 & 4.

And that is exactly what I did. Spent most of my "wandering" time in 3 and 4. Like...LOTS of it.

JohnRayJr wrote:
There are reasons players might not want to do the same stuff in Chapter 5, Chapter 6, or Epilogue 2.

Heh, Chapter 5 I can see why.

I've pretty much just started Chapter 6, and given recent developments...I'm definitely more focused on the story. While there's nothing really preventing me from going off and exploring more...I feel like I need some sort of closure at this point. It's a weird feeling.

I spoiled parts of the ending already, but I'm curious what I'm going to do when it's all over. Is this going to be another Skyrim / Fallout thing where I start over and just focus on exploring and enjoying the game world, or a GTA / Sleeping Dogs thing that when it's all over...I won't pick it up again.

I think I'm close to the conclusion of the story, but I don't feel like I'm done with the game. When it's all over though, I wonder how much of an "emotional attachment" I'll have left. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
And I put this here because there isn't a site entry for the game or I'd submit this as a review instead. My apologies.

@ Tony, your new avatar is weirding me out a bit. I think I got too accustomed to your old one, and I keep thinking there is someone new in the forums. I like it though, even if you're throwing off some UConn vibes.

I'll admit, that game looks damn pretty.

...but...

I'll also admit that I have some pretty major issues with EA at the moment. So much so that I'm very, very hesitant about buying anything from them, to be perfectly honest. Between the ridiculous DLC shenanigans (Star Wars: Battlefront II (2017), shipping unfinished, single player games they've managed to make online required (SimCity (2013), or them just buying up and killing off any number of franchises so they don't have to compete (I'm still salty about Westwood Studios and Command and Conquer)...I just can't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, your loss then.

Respawn developed the game, not EA. There's no real shenanigan's going on here that aren't in Overwatch, Rainbow 6 Siege, or PUBG.

Just wanted to let people know about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
@ Tony, your new avatar is weirding me out a bit. I think I got too accustomed to your old one, and I keep thinking there is someone new in the forums. I like it though, even if you're throwing off some UConn vibes.

I apologize if it seems similar to some college icon. I just found it online and liked it and was tired of my old one.

I can assure you it has zero to do with anything college-related, not only am I rabidly anti-college and mostly anti-post secondary education (that isn't done by yourself or isn't related to medicine or engineering), but I find college sports (for the most part) to be lamer, far less interesting versions of Pro sports. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered that someone has (recently) made an Apex Legends page. So I've submitted this review to the page.

If one of you kind souls could see fit to jump into mod to get it approved, I'd be grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:

I've pretty much just started Chapter 6, and given recent developments...I'm definitely more focused on the story.
Same with me - if you're not too far along in the chapter swing by O'Creagh's Run and also go as far North as you can from Annesburg.

They seem like important extra layers Chapter 6 to me. Although they might open up late in Chapter 5 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I discovered that someone has (recently) made an Apex Legends page. So I've submitted this review to the page.

If one of you kind souls could see fit to jump into mod to get it approved, I'd be grateful.

I had seen it out there and wondered what your take on it would be, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, more snow is in the forecast, and Seattle certainly can't handle snow... so yesterday we stocked up on more food since it is likely the city will shut down this weekend, and today I'm going to run a final errand to the library to return and pick up books/TV series so that we don't have to go anywhere this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I apologize if it seems similar to some college icon. I just found it online and liked it and was tired of my old one.

No apologies necessary dude! I like yours, only reason I noticed is because my dad was a Husky, and my wife and her family are from CT and rabid Husky fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, the UW out here also has Huskies as their mascot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I can assure you it has zero to do with anything college-related, not only am I rabidly anti-college and mostly anti-post secondary education (that isn't done by yourself or isn't related to medicine or engineering), but I find college sports (for the most part) to be lamer, far less interesting versions of Pro sports. LOL

Haha, I'm the exact opposite in that I prefer college sports over professional, with the exception of ice hockey. Personal preference and all that. To me, watching college sports reminds me of my time on campus, walking up to the Dome for a football game, seeing the band play on the steps of Hendricks chapel just like they've done for the past hundred years, seeing alumni come in town for the game, and the university awash in blue and Orange. There's a certain pageantry in in, and I think THAT'S what draws me in more than anything. It's a tradition.

...exact same idea as tailgating for pro teams. The caliber at the professional level is higher, absolutely, but the draw of college level is there for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of November, I was one of the unlucky ones selected for a layoff due to reduction in workforce.

Well, on Monday, I start a full-time position again... at the same company. It's going to be a lot of the same work, at lower pay, but it's better than relying on 2 or 3 shifts a week at B&N.

I'm happy that I'll have something steady, but still feel a little defeated that I wasn't able to take a step forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

I've pretty much just started Chapter 6, and given recent developments...I'm definitely more focused on the story.
Same with me - if you're not too far along in the chapter swing by O'Creagh's Run and also go as far North as you can from Annesburg.

They seem like important extra layers Chapter 6 to me. Although they might open up late in Chapter 5 as well.

I've previously explored most of the areas to the far North, and was pretty surprised that the area has some connections to the main story - thought that was cool.

I maaaaaaaaaaay have previously had a run in with a certain gang in the area, and inadvertainly
Spoiler (click to reveal)
cleared out the Murfree cave prior to being sent there as part of the story.

Oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
At the end of November, I was one of the unlucky ones selected for a layoff due to reduction in workforce.

Well, on Monday, I start a full-time position again... at the same company. It's going to be a lot of the same work, at lower pay, but it's better than relying on 2 or 3 shifts a week at B&N.

I'm happy that I'll have something steady, but still feel a little defeated that I wasn't able to take a step forward.

Although I'm glad you were able to secure something full time again, it sucks that you're coming back in at a lower salary. Hopefully they'll recognize that you have direct experience in the role, and you'll be able to leverage that to negotiate a higher salary in the near future. Or find another position to move into once you've gotten yourself established. Again.

/Sigh. These "corporate shakeups" are stupid. "Let's lay off a bunch of people because we aren't hitting our numbers, then realize months later that we actually needed those people, so bring them back in. At lower pay, of course."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't ask me to come back, it was because someone else left that a position became available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:

I was wondering how the job situation was going. Thanks for updating us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  620 , 621 , 622 , 623 , 624  Next »  [626] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.