GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15658 Posts
[1]  Prev «  621 , 622 , 623 , 624 , 625  Next »  [627] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Level 827! VGG chat about life and everything. And of course about √(-¾). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
They didn't ask me to come back, it was because someone else left that a position became available.

Oh, okay. Still glad you got something full time again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night Seth, Bobby and I played Magicka 2, and it was so much smoother than Magicka. Anyway, it was fun, we basically blew each other up a bunch, and got our butts kicked. It was marvelous.

The night before, Matt and I played Full Metal Furies.

Magicka 2 you can currently get on Humble Bundle for $1. Full Metal Furies came in Humble Monthly. So if you're a humble kinda person, you might have one or both of those games, and I would love to play with you on either of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
So last night Seth, Bobby and I played Magicka 2, and it was so much smoother than Magicka. Anyway, it was fun, we basically blew each other up a bunch, and got our butts kicked. It was marvelous.

The way it should be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remembered trying at least a tiny bit of Magicka 1 and thinking the writing wasn't half bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I remembered trying at least a tiny bit of Magicka 1 and thinking the writing wasn't half bad.

It's quite silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Heh, the UW out here also has Huskies as their mascot.

So when the Huskies play the Huskies...

Not that uncommon, actually. There are at least three major schools in the southeast that have as their mascot the Tigers (Clemson, Missouri, and Lousiana State University(, and probably more in other parts of the country or in lower tier athletic programs. Two of them are in the same conference (Mizzou and LSU) and usually play each other in football every other year if not more frequently. Who you root for when you say "GO TIGERS!" depends on where you are from and/or went to school.

Sportsgamers learn such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still hoping that someone will Geekmod my review for Apex Legends. I think it's still sitting there in the queue dangit! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

The night before, Matt and I played Full Metal Furies.

Magicka 2 you can currently get on Humble Bundle for $1. Full Metal Furies came in Humble Monthly. So if you're a humble kinda person, you might have one or both of those games, and I would love to play with you on either of them.

I wanted the Paradox bundle so I could have CKII and EUIV codes to use in trade while getting some of the other games and DLC in the bundle. I already own Paradox's Big Three grand strategy titles. The site wouldn't let me pull the trigger, which may have been a lucky break for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
So when the Huskies play the Huskies...

Not that uncommon, actually. There are at least three major schools in the southeast that have as their mascot the Tigers (Clemson, Missouri, and Lousiana State University(, and probably more in other parts of the country or in lower tier athletic programs. Two of them are in the same conference (Mizzou and LSU) and usually play each other in football every other year if not more frequently. Who you root for when you say "GO TIGERS!" depends on where you are from and/or went to school.

Sportsgamers learn such things.

Every time my alma mater (Syracuse University - "The Orange") plays Clemson (who also use orange as a school color) in football, all the local news outlets and occasionally ESPN get into this overly complicated analysis of how Syracuse Orange and Clemson orange are different colors.

Admittedly, it is pretty amusing, but it does get old seeing it every year.

Also, Let's Go Orange!

Edit: Oh cool! The Syracuse Orange color is actually trademarked as "Syracuse Orange", and has a listed color code of #D44500, so I can actually write that in actual "Syracuse Orange".

It's the little things, sometimes.

Edit #2: Opposed to Clemson Orange, which is color code #F66733, and clearly inferior.

So, to review:

Syracuse Orange
Clemson Orange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
...I really need to be let out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow!! Well, teeny-tiny flakes that has the city in utter fear! Though, actually, the snowstorm is supposed to hit this afternoon at 1, so that will be all kinds of interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Snow!! Well, teeny-tiny flakes that has the city in utter fear! Though, actually, the snowstorm is supposed to hit this afternoon at 1, so that will be all kinds of interesting.

Is snow really that an unusual occurrence in Washington state? Given how far North the state is, I would have expected some familiarity with the white stuff. Then again, proximity to the Pacific probably has a lot of influence, so I clearly don't know what the norms are for an area thousands of miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

We get rain 180 miles south in Portland, but I worry that it might freeze. Snow is forecast over the weekend.

My apartment has no or very little heat -- something wrong with my heaters, I think. This has been a miserable week, and it's too cold in here even to bathe. You don't want to be in my immediate vicinity right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
My apartment has no or very little heat -- something wrong with my heaters, I think. This has been a miserable week, and it's too cold in here even to bathe. You don't want to be in my immediate vicinity right now...

"Ohhhhhhh landlord person!!!"

I'm sorry, hope it gets resolved quickly. Heat / furnace issues seem to be going around.

...I'm dealing with some minor plumbing issues that could likely be fixed by anyone with even a basic handyman skillset...which does not include myself.

/Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Random musings about starting a new job:

It always feels the same. Moments of frustration and confusion while trying to figure out new processes and systems, and moments of accomplishment when you start to realize how the new position "works". I've had lots of both those moments in the past couple weeks.

Everyone has been very accommodating, helpful and understanding, which makes the transition that much easier. I'm replacing someone who already left, but he's made himself available for help, so I don't have to figure out all this stuff on my own.

The really eerie (and in retrospect, kindof sad) part though - every morning when I come in, people say "good morning", and when I leave, "good nights" or "have a nice weekend". That didn't happen at my old job. This one is so much more welcoming and friendly...that it legitimately seems odd.

I think I dodged a bullet getting out of the last place. I've still got a LONG way to go here, but the environment is SO much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Environment can make a ton of difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Is snow really that an unusual occurrence in Washington state? Given how far North the state is, I would have expected some familiarity with the white stuff. Then again, proximity to the Pacific probably has a lot of influence, so I clearly don't know what the norms are for an area thousands of miles away.

Snow in the mountains is common. Snow on the eastern majority of the state is common. The western sliver by the ocean is warmer - think Ireland (we basically have the same weather). The last time it snowed this bad out here was 2010. So yeah, pretty rare in the Puget Sound region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Snow in the mountains is common. Snow on the eastern majority of the state is common. The western sliver by the ocean is warmer - think Ireland (we basically have the same weather). The last time it snowed this bad out here was 2010. So yeah, pretty rare in the Puget Sound region.

For the entirely of the I-5 corridor (Portland, Oregon all the way to the US-Canada border), official snow policy is, essentially, "it will melt."

The climate is mild in both directions. People think it's hot if it's 85F and cold if it's 25F. Most county and city governments do not own plows. You might get two inches of snow 2-3 times during a whole winter, and each time its gone within 24 hours.

I lived on an island in Puget Sound during a "blizzard" in 1996 or 1997 (can't quite remember). The midwest would have considered it a moderate amount of snow but it shut things down all over the region. I think our house was without power for 7 or 8 days.

Going to college in Washington State is also a fun time because any students from the Eastern 70% of the state (Wenatchee, Spokane, Yakima) are used to heavy snow, and everyone else banana peels all over the place if there is a smidgen of ice on the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carrie and JohnRay!

I think growing up in the Northeast has given me skewed perceptions on how most people view snow - or what "normal" snowfall is, for that matter. As a rule, we generally expect to be covered in the stuff from November through April. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Syracuse averages about 10 feet of snow a year, and the area we live is slightly higher because we're at a higher elevation. That's "normal" to us.

It wasn't until I was in college that I realized it wasn't exactly normal. Granted, watching all my classmates who came from the South (especially Florida) deal with snow for the first time was pretty hilarious ("what the crap IS all this?!?!"). I think that's also why I couldn't cut living in the South. Being outside in winter with zero snow on the ground just felt...wrong.

To that point, it's a bit odd today as there is currently no snow on the ground. We had some unseasonably warm weather this week, and it all melted. It's been snowing all day, but that really light stuff that doesn't seem to accumulate, just leaving a trace behind. I guess we're due for a couple inches overnight, and we have a storm brewing next week that could drop another 6" or so on us. That's about right.

Still, one does get the feeling that Winter is ending up here. Days are longer and aren't AS cold, snowfall is less frequent, and it's actually been melting.

Although, I think I said that last year around this time, and we ended up having several more snowstorms, including 2 in April. Ended up getting like 3" on April 19th. By that point it gets pretty old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rookies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Random musings about starting a new job:

It always feels the same. Moments of frustration and confusion while trying to figure out new processes and systems, and moments of accomplishment when you start to realize how the new position "works". I've had lots of both those moments in the past couple weeks.

I have experienced that myself, but a little worse. When I started that first job in 2012, learning how to index medical records, it took almost five months for the process to make any sort of sense. My supervisor rode me hard, for which I will be eternally grateful, and I'm surprised I lasted three months. As it was, I lasted five years and those were some of the best five years I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Rookies.

Ha! I'm not even going to try to compete with you when it comes to temperatures - you win. We get cold weather sure, and the occasional polar vortex, but the Minnesota area (and surrounding areas) wins, hands down.

Snow however...I dunno. That might be close. Lake effect snow is no joke.

Either way, I'm ready for Spring / Summer. I want to go fishing, I don't want to freeze my @$$ off if I want to cook on the grill, and I want to be outside in shorts again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
wytefang wrote:
Rookies.

Ha! I'm not even going to try to compete with you when it comes to temperatures - you win. We get cold weather sure, and the occasional polar vortex, but the Minnesota area (and surrounding areas) wins, hands down.

Snow however...I dunno. That might be close. Lake effect snow is no joke.

Either way, I'm ready for Spring / Summer. I want to go fishing, I don't want to freeze my @$$ off if I want to cook on the grill, and I want to be outside in shorts again.

Do you cook on the grill anyway?

My heat is going to be fixed today on an emergency basis. It probably just switched itself off and needs to be reset. There's a woman downstairs who hasn't had heat in two months and can't call in herself. I'm worried about her -- in between abusive roommates she's trying to 86 and the other issues she has, it sounds like she's in a lot of trouble and there are only very limited ways I can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Work is delightfully empty, people are stuck in traffic like mad all over the region. Meanwhile I think this is particularly light... but then I too was molded by the snows of my youth in Wisconsin...

People have been clearing out grocery stores like the End Times are nigh upon us... it's pretty funny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have someone over from my clinic today. My back has been especially bad in this cold, so I got a hand with my laundry. Then I found out that the storm coming in will be worse than thought at my elevation.

I ended up going with them to the nearest supermarket to pick up soda because I wouldn't be able to get out of the apartment reliably in the next few days, and that store (which I do not normally shop at due to their prices) had very long lines at checkout -- and it's not that large a store. Fortunately, they were able to get some of their own shopping done at the same time to save them a trip on the way home (and a better chance of them getting home before the weather hits). we had quite a bit of fun in the line actually, looking at the ingredients list fo really expensive pasta sauces and internally mocking those who would pay it as opposed to making their own sauce.

And my heat is back on, which means I can finally shower. It's a priority!

Oh, and Caroline -- while I didn't get an End times vibe, I did get the last frozen package of Turkey Tetrazzini. A dish I want to make for myself at some point but lack the skill for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  621 , 622 , 623 , 624 , 625  Next »  [627] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.