Flight Commander 2
Bubsy 3D: Furbitten Planet
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16092 Posts
[1]  Prev «  635 , 636 , 637 , 638 , 639  Next »  [644] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Level 827! VGG chat about life and everything. And of course about √(-¾). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
He probably actually loves pie.

That's certainly true too. But this guy definitely loves math equally, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
ghostpants wrote:
Same here. I barely drink at all any more, which can sometimes lead to some awkward social situations among my fellow late 20s/early 30s folks. It doesn't help that I've never been a big fan of beer (bring on the effeminately named cocktails, I have no shame).

It's funny - I barely drank anything during my 20's, and really didn't enjoy the taste of beer either. Granted, most of the stuff I was exposed to was the cheap, flavorless stuff most people drink at college or shortly thereafter, so it's no surprise really that I didn't like it.

It wasn't until I was 30 that I discovered IPA's, craft beer and microbrews, or beers that actually have...gasp...flavor. For me, it was a bit of a game changer, in that from that point beer was something I could actually enjoy, and it became sortof a hobby to try out different varieties to see what everything tasted like. It's pretty fun learning about new styles and getting to try them out. And then when you bring food into the equation, it only gets better!

...at least that's been the draw for me.

ghostpants wrote:
I don't know what it is these days, but if I have more than a couple of drinks, my body hates me the next day.

That's probably a good thing! Not that your body hates you, but that you have a "limit" you know not to exceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
It wasn't until I was 30 that I discovered IPA's, craft beer and microbrews, or beers that actually have...gasp...flavor. For me, it was a bit of a game changer, in that from that point beer was something I could actually enjoy, and it became sortof a hobby to try out different varieties to see what everything tasted like. It's pretty fun learning about new styles and getting to try them out. And then when you bring food into the equation, it only gets better!

I have been fortunate enough to recently discover a handful of craft brews that I can get behind. I've found I gravitate towards sours quite a bit. In our neck of the woods, there's a brewery every 20 feet or so it seems, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
ghostpants wrote:
In our neck of the woods, there's a brewery every 20 feet or so it seems, lol.

It's definitely blowing up everywhere. There are literally three breweries within a three block radius of where I'm sitting right now. Brand new one opened last week. Craft beer is huge nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the few areas of unambiguous cultural improvement in the last 30 years in the United States is food. Given how badly garbage food has been routed in other areas, I'm not too surprised to see craft beer trampling the budweisers of the world.

What's sad is that extremely low quality food, having become so thoroughly correlated with poverty, will stick around based on that connection alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a little bit of good news today -- I'm moving in two months to an apartment on the ground floor of my complex. One of the upstairs units was vacated when its occupant was evicted (sheriff's notice and the whole deal) And the occupant of one of the downstairs units offered to move upstairs. That leaves his downstairs apartment free for me to move in and my current upstairs apartment available for a new tenant.

As I said, it will take about two months for everything to be ready for me to move in. And when I tell my church about this, they are facing the prospect of the shortest-distance move they've ever done. I'm just going to have to wait for it. Give me some patience NOW, darn it!

It'll be interesting to see how things work out. My change of address filing should be simple, but there are all sorts of people I will have to do it with.

Good day, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I think one of the few areas of unambiguous cultural improvement in the last 30 years in the United States is food.

Agreed 100%. And at least in our area, the restaurants that have been doing well are the independents, and/or restaurants that don't cater exclusively to "American" cuisine. That's pretty cool. A couple years ago a sushi restaurant opened up nearby, and we were there the first week when it was pretty quiet. Two years on, and the place is always packed for dinner, and they've had to more than double their staff. The two places that closed this year were a Chili's and a Pizza Hut.

JohnRayJr wrote:
What's sad is that extremely low quality food, having become so thoroughly correlated with poverty, will stick around based on that connection alone.

That...is unfortunately also accurate. And although poverty is certainly a reason why those establishments do so well, it's not the sole reason. The McDonalds in the nicer suburbs are always really busy too. It's definitely a cultural thing to an extent, but convenience is profitable too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:

JohnRayJr wrote:

That...is unfortunately also accurate. And although poverty is certainly a reason why those establishments do so well, it's not the sole reason. The McDonalds in the nicer suburbs are always really busy too. It's definitely a cultural thing to an extent, but convenience is profitable too.

I agree, I just think that, every year for the last couple of decades, it's a little bit more about poverty and a little bit less about convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Also, I'm really sorry for Kevin and anyone else in the Central US that had some crazy weather the last few days, but that front brought some really warm weather to the Northeast, which we're currently enjoying.

It's 62 degrees outside right now. That's pretty unheard of in March. And it's supposed to still be in the upper 50's tomorrow!

...aaaaaaaaaand then it's going to drop right back into the 30's and below by the weekend. But at least we're getting a couple warm days in the meantime. I can sit on my deck tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Also, Happy Pi Day everyone! One of my coworkers loves math, so he brings in a couple homemade pies every year. Pretty good day.

I was going to make pie for my team at work last night... but there was a bit of a potential apartment flooding situation we had to deal with first... which pretty much ruined our night.

The good news is we caught things early enough this time that our apartment didn't flood. The bad news is that it was going to - so our upstairs neighbors learned nothing from the incident in November. I'm sooo pissed at them. Our landlord is going to send a camera into the pipe, so there's that at least. But I really wish we didn't have to be doing this...

If only I had time to ramp up our search for houses... not that a house will solve all our problems (and might give us new problems) but it would be getting the fuck away from the stupid woman who lives upstairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
I think one of the few areas of unambiguous cultural improvement in the last 30 years in the United States is food.

Agreed 100%. And at least in our area, the restaurants that have been doing well are the independents, and/or restaurants that don't cater exclusively to "American" cuisine. That's pretty cool. A couple years ago a sushi restaurant opened up nearby, and we were there the first week when it was pretty quiet. Two years on, and the place is always packed for dinner, and they've had to more than double their staff. The two places that closed this year were a Chili's and a Pizza Hut.

JohnRayJr wrote:

My trip to the arches place this Monday was hardly a prime example, or something I'm proud of, but I needed a quick bite and needed a low price. I feel like my money was wasted anyway; almost $10 om a cheap burger and poorly done fries. It may seem hard to both french fries, but almost everyone does.

And if you think that's bad, try the grocery store. I actually like Winco, the local discount chain, but I hardly expect to be able to make fine cuisine there. The deli in the store in Beaverton at least makes very tasty fried chicken. And as I mentioned in the welfare thread, the rules for food assistance are weird. You can't buy fresh fried chicken with SNAP, but you can buy the same chicken a day old and refrigerated. I'm jealous of those who can afford good food, but I don't let it bother me too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I agree, I just think that, every year for the last couple of decades, it's a little bit more about poverty and a little bit less about convenience.

I think you're right. The reality for many people is that it's often cheaper to get dinner off the dollar menu than it is to go to the grocery store and buy something healthier.

This past year a small grocery store located in one of the poorer areas of Syracuse closed because it was no longer profitable. It was a big deal because for many people it meant they either needed to walk a much longer distance or take a bus to the next closest store, get their food from a convenience store ($$$), or rely more on the fast food chains. Perfect example of a situation where fast food suddenly becomes your best option for food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I think you're right. The reality for many people is that it's often cheaper to get dinner off the dollar menu than it is to go to the grocery store and buy something healthier.

This past year a small grocery store located in one of the poorer areas of Syracuse closed because it was no longer profitable. It was a big deal because for many people it meant they either needed to walk a much longer distance or take a bus to the next closest store, get their food from a convenience store ($$$), or rely more on the fast food chains. Perfect example of a situation where fast food suddenly becomes your best option for food.

I've been taking the bus to the store all my life. As my back deteriorates, paratransit has been almost a godsend, because now I can get to more distant stores with better prices without having to cart groceries home on the bus. And once I move into the downstairs apartment I can by one of those foldable carts to make it even simpler on paratransit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:

A couple years ago a sushi restaurant opened up nearby, and we were there the first week when it was pretty quiet. Two years on, and the place is always packed for dinner, and they've had to more than double their staff. The two places that closed this year were a Chili's and a Pizza Hut.

That stinks. Chilis is awesome, Pizza Hut has faded in quality over the past 15 years though. Sushi is disgusting. So nasty. Less of those please, more Chilis. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
The good news is we caught things early enough this time that our apartment didn't flood. The bad news is that it was going to - so our upstairs neighbors learned nothing from the incident in November. I'm sooo pissed at them. Our landlord is going to send a camera into the pipe, so there's that at least. But I really wish we didn't have to be doing this...

Oh man, I feel for you. I loathe apartments for reasons like this, and I seriously doubt I will ever live in one again unless I have no other options. Here's hoping you guys find the perfect house for you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Oh man, I feel for you. I loathe apartments for reasons like this, and I seriously doubt I will ever live in one again unless I have no other options. Here's hoping you guys find the perfect house for you both.

Thanks. I hope so too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Also, I'm really sorry for Kevin and anyone else in the Central US that had some crazy weather the last few days, but that front brought some really warm weather to the Northeast, which we're currently enjoying.

It's 62 degrees outside right now. That's pretty unheard of in March. And it's supposed to still be in the upper 50's tomorrow!

...aaaaaaaaaand then it's going to drop right back into the 30's and below by the weekend. But at least we're getting a couple warm days in the meantime. I can sit on my deck tonight!

Day before the blizzard that hit us it was pushing 60 if I remember correctly. Next day low level hurricane winds and snow.
I'm sorry but I think it's headed your way. And y'all's snow is 100x worse than Colorado snow because of the humidity.
My advice: make sure you have something warm to wear, some adult beverages, and something good to grill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My damn boss. Sends out group texts with Dr Horrible memes (which I forced upon him years ago). Co-workers are puzzled, and daughter and I are rewatching Dr Horrible for the millionth time. And singing the songs in the house.
Still such a good show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I was just thinking about Dr. Horrible the other day. There were some catchy songs. And Neil Patrick Harris is a delight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Oh man, I was just thinking about Dr. Horrible the other day. There were some catchy songs. And Neil Patrick Harris is a delight.

It's one of those shows that I desperately want more episodes of, but desperately do not want more episodes of. It's perfect. And because it's perfect I want more of it. But in my heart of hearts I know that more will not be perfect. So conflicted.

See: Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor lack of understanding that arises from not being married to someone who has video games coursing through their veins.

Newfoundland walks up to wife and I looking pathetic. He is hungry. To be honest, he is is always hungry.
Anyways, I look at him and say "Elf needs food badly!"
Wife glances at me and (I think) figures this is just some of my weirdness.
She is correct.
Anyways part duex: I feed the dog.

Not much of a story.
Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Osirus wrote:

It's one of those shows that I desperately want more episodes of, but desperately do not want more episodes of. It's perfect. And because it's perfect I want more of it. But in my heart of hearts I know that more will not be perfect. So conflicted.

Firefly, had they immediately continued it, would have been perfect for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Osirus wrote:

Yep. My exemplar for this is Police Squad. Only 6 episodes, each one an exquisitely-crafted masterpiece. Naked Gun movies were fun and I did enjoy them, but to me they proved that Police Squad was perfect at the 6 episodes it had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I'll be working on my writing portfolio, as well as cope with my usual back pain. But next week I'm getting a blocking injection that the doctor says will relieve a lot of the discomfort. I sure hope she's right.

I'm groggy from a less stringent injection. But at least I'm mentally clear. at least I hope I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now, as if seeking vengeance my lumbar area is spasming really badly and keeping me miserably awake. The bad thing is that I really have to watch what medications I take at this particular moment. But it's just after 3:00 and lying down to sleep has been impossible to me.

I hate feeling like this. I shouldn't say I'm looking forward to next week's injection, but given the amount of pain I'm having at this moment I reason it can't hurt me worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  635 , 636 , 637 , 638 , 639  Next »  [644] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.