Subject: Level Whatever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Poop [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really hoping you are okay, Gabe. Best wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Blazers are getting cut to ribbons in the NBA conference finals. I expected this -- first-ballot Hall of Famers on dynasty teams tend to do that to their opponents. My thinking as a fan is that if my team is going to lose, I'd rather it be to a great team to whom I can tip my cap and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Birds can be rather smart, especially some parrots. But if they had a head the size of that one, watch out!

Crows have the neurons of a makak, but the intelligence of a chimp. Recent research show that the concept of "bird brain" is reverse – the bird brain neurons are so tightly knit, they perform much better than the same number of neurons in a larger brain. Birds are highly intelligent.

wytefang wrote:
I'm just not a fan of birds. They've always seemed creepy to me. I do like Bats since they eat Mosquitos. I wasn't aware that there were birds who eat the nuisance insects, if so, I would like them better.

You're kidding, right? Birds are the fly- and mosquito eaters here. We have a whole slew of birds here known as "fly snappers". Swallows near your house is a blessing if you don't like mosquitoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of birds, there's roughly six million of them around our house lately. First it was the barn swallows looking for anywhere to nest for the spring. Then came the returning geese and ducks to nest at the pond at the end of the street, and in the wetlands back in the woods. Lots of honking and quacks. Then came the nesting robins. Then the bluebirds, red winged blackbirds, sparrows, nuthatches...all the little guys. Then of course there are the usual crows, the massive turkey vultures, and the occasional red tailed hawk looking for whatever rodents or small birds they can catch.

The only surprise this year is a pair of bald eagles that seem to have taken up residence somewhere nearby. Those are cool to see flying around.

However, the mayfly hatch started this week, and there's been a metric ton of nightcrawlers and red worms out because THE RAIN JUST WON'T STOP, so yea...birds everywhere. And they're all getting fat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I took Monday and Tuesday off so I could finally get out to do some fishing this year. Of course because I decided to do that, we've been stuck in a lousy weather pattern for the last 2 weeks, dumping more rain on us than I thought was possible. My fishing steam is past flood stage, and there's even a state of emergency up North because the water in Lake Ontario jumped it's bank and flooded parts of the county.

Come back to work today, and it's the first day it HASN'T rained in a week. Figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed Matt, Jay, and Jay's son last night. Was in a pirate mood, so jumped into a couple matches of Blackwake. Had a blast, but not nearly as much fun as playing with people you know.

If there is one thing that game does well, it's encourage teamwork. That, and there's some depraved fun to be had blowing apart enemy ships with cannonballs. Although again, still not as much fun as hearing Jay screaming because he's on the receiving end of a broadside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that game was awesome with you guys. Not so great with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I have to travel to the university hospital for a few days at the beginning of next week for some medical tests. Appreciate any positive vibes over the next week or so

Hope things go well Gabe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
My Blazers are getting cut to ribbons in the NBA conference finals. I expected this -- first-ballot Hall of Famers on dynasty teams tend to do that to their opponents. My thinking as a fan is that if my team is going to lose, I'd rather it be to a great team to whom I can tip my cap and move on.

You just hope that your team puts up a great fight and doesn't give up. This can be said for any sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
You just hope that your team puts up a great fight and doesn't give up. This can be said for any sport.

Great mentality. I wish Ferrari got the memo over the last several F1 seasons.

...or anyone besides Mercedes, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

If there's one thing this Blazers team is it's resilient. They were hardly passive last night -- they made several attempts to come back and made a game of it at certain points.

Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, you just have to tip your cap to the opposition and admit "you got me this time". There are also questions about who will still be on the Warriors next season so there may be a window opening in 2019-20. My hope is that the Blazers will be good enough to take advantage of it if it opens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:

Great mentality. I wish Ferrari got the memo over the last several F1 seasons.

...or anyone besides Mercedes, really.

Does an F1 team have the same monitors, spotters, coaches, etc. for both drivers, or are they divided between them? Do f1 teams face conflicting loyalties as support personnel start favoring one driver over another in the competition?

I can imagine things getting very complicated in a hurry when the two drivers on a top-flight team stop speaking to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Does an F1 team have the same monitors, spotters, coaches, etc. for both drivers, or are they divided between them?

I believe a majority of the support staff is shared between drivers, but there may be some exceptions. I know that team does share a pit crew, crew chief and team principal, but I do wonder if there may be some different personnel between drivers. Off-track coaches would be a good example, but I don't know if any drivers actually have any. That's a good question.

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Do f1 teams face conflicting loyalties as support personnel start favoring one driver over another in the competition?

This does happen all the time, and it's actually caused quite a bit of controversy and drama in F1 - especially within the most competitive teams.

Ferrari this season is a perfect example. Sebastian Vettel is the principal driver for the team, with team rookie Charles LeCleric taking the #2 spot. That's been rather interesting this season as although the team believes Vettel is their best shot at winning the world championship, LeClaric has shown on several occurrences that he may be the faster driver. Regardless, there has already been one race where LeClaric was given "team orders" to let Vettel pass for the sake of the team - and Vettel - getting more points for the race. In that race, Vettel ultimately ended up being the slower Ferrari as the race went on, and actually held up LeCleric later in the race.

That's also thought to be one of the main reasons Daniel Riccardo left Red Bull, after Max Verstappen was given priority status, despite Riccardo arguably being the better driver.

This was also the case with Hamilton and Nico Rosberg two years ago, and several other teams going way back.

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I can imagine things getting very complicated in a hurry when the two drivers on a top-flight team stop speaking to each other.

Speaking of Hamilton and Rosberg...there were definitely some words between the two, and the conflict actually resulted in both drivers eliminating each other in a race 2 seasons ago. Forgot if it was Mexico or Brazil, but they crashed into each other at the start of the race because neither wanted to give up position.

Schumacher was known for having some "issues" with his teammates too, iirc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a dumb team. Let's get our slower driver out front, guys. That'll be better for us. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
What a dumb team. Let's get our slower driver out front, guys. That'll be better for us. Sigh.

Yeaaaaaaa, it's hard being a Ferrari fan.

Well, I say I'm a Ferrari fan, although at this point I just want to see someone other than Mercedes win the world championship, and I think Ferrari have the best chance to do that. Red Bull is getting close, but they still don't have the speed of Ferrari or Mercedes. I wouldn't mind if Bottas wins for Mercedes though, just as long as it's not Hamilton again.

I REALLY want to see Riccardo win the championship, but he's in a terrible car since he switched over to Renault.

Edit: And yea, poor team calls, coupled with Vettel making several rookie mistakes over the last 2 years aren't helping things at all. No wonder I haven't actually watched a race this season yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verstappen is popular enough that the Netherlands Grand Prix will apparently be revived either next year or the year after. I don't know why that race was discontinued, although I suspect it was in the era where many nations banned Formula 1 because it was so dangerous. Several top drivers died on the track over a period from the late '50s to the early '70s -- and were it not for Jackie Stewart starting to get the organizers to put an emphasis on driver safety the sport might not have survived. At the time Stewart was called a coward for it by the press, for whom driver injuries and fatalities made good copy. Still, he lived to a ripe old age and is still involved with racing today (and still getting endorsement deals -- the Heineken brewery hired him to do a spot about the importance of having a Designated Driver despite Jackie's personal history of alcohol issues).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I have to travel to the university hospital for a few days at the beginning of next week for some medical tests. Appreciate any positive vibes over the next week or so

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:

Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new movie coming on about Elton John called Rocketman. Following hot on the heels of Bohemian Rhapsody it's bound to draw comparisons, but that's not why I ask.

I'm interested in the music and was wondering where I can find out which songs are on the soundtrack and who sings them. Is the actor who plays Elton John going to be performing them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally have a new PCA. She came in yesterday afternoon and the main thing we did was sort through all my food and get rid of the expired stuff in preparation for my move. Luckily we really hit it off, so I think we'll have a good working relationship down the road.

Not sure how long we'll be working together. I also got a call from my original PCA, who fell at the gym where she was going rehab and broke her other wrist. Poor woman is catching too many breaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I finally have a new PCA. She came in yesterday afternoon and the main thing we did was sort through all my food and get rid of the expired stuff in preparation for my move. Luckily we really hit it off, so I think we'll have a good working relationship down the road.

Not sure how long we'll be working together. I also got a call from my original PCA, who fell at the gym where she was going rehab and broke her other wrist. Poor woman is catching too many breaks.

That... could be the plot of a movie it's so bad!

I hope her life improves soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Believe me, I agree. This woman and I had developed a great rapport and professional relationship over the years, and seeing her go through this, again and again, is terrible. I wonder if she should think about retiring, which she has feared she may have to do. I don't blame her for being afraid of it, but she's apparently quite fragile.

The new PCA has a lot of the interests I have. She used to play D&D years ago and was oddly impressed with my copy of Ponyfinder. She told me about her group's opinion of D&D4, and I told her about my opinion on the game -- that it would have been hailed as a great and even groundbreaking design were it not marketed as Dungeons & Dragons. That she handles things competently is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Believe me, I agree. This woman and I had developed a great rapport and professional relationship over the years, and seeing her go through this, again and again, is terrible. I wonder if she should think about retiring, which she has feared she may have to do. I don't blame her for being afraid of it, but she's apparently quite fragile.

The new PCA has a lot of the interests I have. She used to play D&D years ago and was oddly impressed with my copy of Ponyfinder. She told me about her group's opinion of D&D4, and I told her about my opinion on the game -- that it would have been hailed as a great and even groundbreaking design were it not marketed as Dungeons & Dragons. That she handles things competently is a bonus.

I feel like you have that a little backwards, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm increasingly convinced that I'd make an awesome retired person. Just saying.

/resumes listening in to boring conference call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's pretty cool to be retired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  666 , 667 , 668 , 669 , 670  Next »  [672] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.