United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Osirus wrote:
I've been on EPIC's client recently, but just to play Dauntless with a local friend. No interest in Unreal, although by not playing I imagine my score is still no worse than it would be if I played against Cynical or Wytefang.

The somewhat tragic thing about the unfinished Unreal is...it's really good. UT '99 was the highlight of the series for me. The music was awesome, the gameplay was silky smooth, the music iconic...it was such a perfect arena shooter. UT 2004 was cool and introduced some new stuff, but it didn't feel the same. UT3 was pretty, but they actually tried to put a story in the game, and that was pretty dumb.

But new Unreal? It very much reminded me of the original. Helped along by the fact that it used some of the same music and voiceovers from the original, but still.

UT2004 was easily the best in the series, they seamlessly added vehicles and it was just a blast, for my money. I also really loved UT3, that game was fun as crap, too!
UT2K4 was my favorite prior to UT4. 2k4's movement and weapons are absolutely glorious. It's too bad that the armor system is so imacculately awful for duel or team deathmatch. IC runs two items that spawn at 30s/1m to fully stack and completely deny OOC any stack?!?! WTF. Of course, UT always had fairly bad armor systems prior to UT4. UT and UT3 are both hilarious in their own way -- no self-stacking means you have, at best, a 50A vs 150A situation OOC vs IC in UT99, and UT3 leaves you with the only slightly more feasible 75A vs 150A, but in order to get that in UT3, OOC has to play predictible, a burden that in a sane world is carried by IC rather than OOC.

UT4 finally gets it right -- self-stacking of the non-belt armors to 100A gives OOC a chance while still making IC preferential and maintaining an asymmetrical state (which ensures that IC has the incentive to be the aggressor during their "free" time). Furthermore, its movement may even be an improvement on 2k4's; wall-runs open up map traversal in a similar way, but they don't create the problems where rockets are awful because you never need to touch the ground that 2k4's double-jump created.

Re: abandoment by Epic... having played a bit the last week or so after having been away from the game for about a year, I actually think it's been a net positive. Every time Epic pushed an update, it broke literally every community map, game type, or mutator until the modder who created it rebuilt it for the new update; as you can imagine, this was a massive PITA for players, server-operators, and modders alike, and it made modders not really want to make things because they knew there was an "upkeep" to it. Now, with Epic's abandonment of the game, modders no longer worry about Epic breaking stuff at a whim, and so there's a lot more action in terms of new maps/game modes/mutators, and some really good work is being done on these fronts (ProMode is an absolutely wonderful weapon/movement tweak, and more maps is always a good thing). Also, strangely, most hubs report that there's more people playing now than when the game was still being actively developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
Jythier wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Someone just came into the store looking for obscure 4th edition D&D books, Mordecai's Mystic Emporium and the Book of Vile Darkness, so if you have those and want to ditch them I can hook you up, lol.

What kindof book store are you running here that you DON'T have Mordecai's Mystic whatever?

For shame.

The kind that's willing to post to my internet forum to find a really obscure book for a guy I just met.

You should have asked him to leave as soon as me mentioned fourth edition.

I think that's honestly my fave edition. Those core books were so nice and small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
It's up!

My Assassin's Creed Retrospective - Share Your Experiences with the Series!

Was fun to go think back over the whole series... I've finished 10 of these games in 7 years. wow

Let me know what you think!
At the risk of being negative about your newly-efforted thing... I think it should have been a geeklist. But otherwise a nice ranking with short explanations.

The biggest downside I see to this list being a thread is that it will get completely lost in the database. Good luck to anyone finding it in 2020. VGG/BGG/RPGG is very search proof. And that is it would be difficult to find for someone who knows it exists. For someone who doesn't know to look for it...

I threw a tag on it, which might help it be findable somewhat. But only if someone knows about tags (which is nearly as esoteric as guilds are) and they think to look for it.

The best thing about the list being a geeklist is that it would be on the page of every Assassin Creed linked to it.

Of course geeklists get a lot of false positive hits. So that makes searching them difficult too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't really thought about that aspect of it.

I could have made it a geeklist, but I thought that a list might draw a few comments about the individual games, without being more about everyone's whole experience with the series.

I mean... I guess I could also make it a list, but that feels weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I could also make it a list, but that feels weird.

I don't see any downside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still trying to figure out how tomorrow is going to work. At least I'll have plenty of help as people are coming out of the woodwork with more offers of assistance than I can possibly use. The biggest concerns left are organizing my kitchen and my books. Then there's the question of what to do with my big shelf -- the current plan is to combine it into a home entertainment center/bookshelf, which might pose a problem if the shelf can't hold the weight of my TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually if you link to the thread in the geeklist you could have the best of both worlds. Thread conducive conversation and geeklist links to the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Happy Halloween!
badge
Ouch! Watch it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the girlfriend's gaming PC up and running. She's enjoying it. I think we're going to play some Black Ops 4 tonight, which should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Got the girlfriend's gaming PC up and running. She's enjoying it. I think we're going to play some Black Ops 4 tonight, which should be fun.
I have that installed but haven't tried it out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Happy Halloween!
badge
Ouch! Watch it!
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
I have that installed but haven't tried it out yet.

I was surprised at how much I've enjoyed it. It's by no means my ideal FPS game, but after having taken a pretty long break from the series, it feels somewhat fresh again. We got pretty good at it on PS4. Then we started playing hardcore mode, and now we suck at the regular game modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookclub tonight! But first I have to get through work. Blah.

On the one hand, people still think I'm great at my job... on the other, I'm bored and hate working in QA.

But I have started a new board game project, and I have my Python project that I can intersperse with work when things get too boring. (Since my work wants us all the learn Python, we are able to set aside time during the day to learn it, which means I can legitimately work on my Python project at work, which is awesome!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Bookclub tonight! But first I have to get through work. Blah.

Yea, that's always the hard part. Oddly quiet for me today. We have a lot of people out of office, and several meetings / discussions I had scheduled were cancelled. Left me with more down time than I was expecting. Both good and bad, that.

I'm already wanting to go home. Yesterday afternoon was chaotic getting supper ready, getting kiddo ready to be out of town for a few days...so there really wasn't any "down time". By the time everything was "done" for the evening, it was already 10:30 and time to call it a night.

Looking forward to relaxing a bit tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the most bored I've ever been at work today. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
By far the most bored I've ever been at work today. Ugh.

Seriously, this is one of those days for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Things are hopping here. We're doing a homeschool event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched some of the announcement video for Google Stadia, the impending new gaming platform. Basically a gaming service like any of the others, and like Origin offers the option of a subscription service to have temporary access to their ever-expanding library of selected games, or basic usage you just buy whatever games you want and they're yours forever.

The big advantage that Stadia touts is that it's platform-agnostic and runs on the Google servers, so the game will play the same on your TV/PC/tablet/etc., and cross-play across devices is a given.

I suppose that may be exciting for some, but as I basically just play on my PC anyway and am not excited to buy a Chrome-cast box for my TV (nor their $70 controller), I'm about as excited for this launch as I was for Origin and Epic, which is to say... I'll be interested when they start handing out free games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel about the same about Google getting into gaming in 2020 as I did about Microsoft getting into gaming in 2001.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I feel about the same about Google getting into gaming in 2020 as I did about Microsoft getting into gaming in 2001.

The company name escapes me, but I do recall someone else trying this a few years ago - and it failed miserably. I don't believe the tech was up to snuff at that point either since lag was a bit of an issue, but the marketing plan itself seems faulty. From the subscription service you only have access to the games as long as your subscription is active, and for the games you buy...what guarantee the games will even still be there if the program goes away in a few years?

The Google name does carry a bit more weight (for better and worse), but I still think this is too much of a stretch for gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
From the subscription service you only have access to the games as long as your subscription is active, and for the games you buy...what guarantee the games will even still be there if the program goes away in a few years?
I agree that subscription-based gaming is a bad solution for people looking to have access to games forever. The one time I paid a subscription gaming fee, it was because I had a few specific games I wanted to play (Mass Effect 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Torment: Tides of Numenera), and I figured I probably wouldn't replay them and a couple months of subscription to beat them all was going to be much cheaper than buying them.

As for the latter, yes if the program goes away we're screwed, but this is true for ANY digital gaming platform. I mean, my Steam library is tenuous in that way. But that's a tradeoff for the fact that if all those games I started collecting in 2011 were hard copies, then in addition to the hassle of moving/owning that giant stack of boxes, I doubt half of them would run right on my current computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
I mean, my Steam library is tenuous in that way. But that's a tradeoff for the fact that if all those games I started collecting in 2011 were hard copies, then in addition to the hassle of moving/owning that giant stack of boxes, I doubt half of them would run right on my current computer.

It's funny you mention Steam, as I was thinking about that when writing my response.

I have this nightmare that Steam is eventually just going to "go away", and suddenly I'll have no games left, losing hundreds of dollars invested in my gaming hobby.

However, given the popularity of Steam, the chance of that happening is slim to none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Osirus wrote:
I mean, my Steam library is tenuous in that way. But that's a tradeoff for the fact that if all those games I started collecting in 2011 were hard copies, then in addition to the hassle of moving/owning that giant stack of boxes, I doubt half of them would run right on my current computer.

It's funny you mention Steam, as I was thinking about that when writing my response.

I have this nightmare that Steam is eventually just going to "go away", and suddenly I'll have no games left, losing hundreds of dollars invested in my gaming hobby.

However, given the popularity of Steam, the chance of that happening is slim to none.

If Steam just closed its doors it would cause a HUGE problem.
There are lots of ways it could go, but I imagine the most likely is something like:
"We're shutting down, you have 5 days to make purchases, you have 20 days to download your library. After that we'll send an 'offline mode' update to play your library and that will be it."
So you'd lose multiplayer support and other features, but not the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:
If Steam just closed its doors it would cause a HUGE problem.

That's an understatement. Basically, all the worst parts of the Bible. Mass hysteria. Dogs and cats living in harmony, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna go home and play with my dinosaurs now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
a Pat osaurus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
a Pat osaurus.

Get out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  685 , 686 , 687 , 688 , 689  Next »  [754] |