The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Gloomhaven
Terraforming Mars
Slay the Spire
Bananagrams (2019)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Civilization III
Planescape: Torment
Maniac Mansion
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Ticket to Ride
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
Shining Force
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Medici
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Ultimate Doom
Crusader Kings II
Borderlands 2
Reiner Knizia's Tigris and Euphrates
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Ys Origin
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
SimCity (2013)
Pixel Dungeon
Tabletop Simulator
Stellaris
Human Resource Machine
Detroit: Become Human
Brass
Dragon Quest Builders: To Revive Alefgard
Divinity: Original Sin II
Vietnam ‘65
Atlantic Fleet
Mansions of Madness
Evolution (2019)
Artifact
Baba is You
Peregrin
One Deck Dungeon
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Ganz Schön Clever
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Godhood
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Fort Sumter: Secession Crisis
Recommend
42 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17670 Posts
[1]  Prev «  686 , 687 , 688 , 689 , 690  Next »  [707] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Level Whatever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Poop [+] [View All]
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
I wanna go home and play with my dinosaurs now.

a Pat osaurus.


Get out.


Go extinct.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 episodes to go in the first season of Dark on Netflix. Other than the dubbing (German show, English dub) this show is absolutely awesome. It is so convoluted at points that I lose track of what the hell is going on. But awesomely awesome.

My only real criticism, and it's not a criticism because the show is tough enough for me to follow at times as it is, but I wish it leaned more into its premise. It could become an unwatchable confusing mess, but I would lift a pint in salute of that mess.

Highly recommended.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Just watched some of the announcement video for Google Stadia, the impending new gaming platform. Basically a gaming service like any of the others, and like Origin offers the option of a subscription service to have temporary access to their ever-expanding library of selected games, or basic usage you just buy whatever games you want and they're yours forever.

The big advantage that Stadia touts is that it's platform-agnostic and runs on the Google servers, so the game will play the same on your TV/PC/tablet/etc., and cross-play across devices is a given.

I suppose that may be exciting for some, but as I basically just play on my PC anyway and am not excited to buy a Chrome-cast box for my TV (nor their $70 controller), I'm about as excited for this launch as I was for Origin and Epic, which is to say... I'll be interested when they start handing out free games.


It's not even a teeny, tiny bit remotely exciting. Super huge yawn. Plus I no longer trust Google as far as I could throw the entire crappy company. No thanks, and I'll be actively warning people not to buy into it. shake
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm in the new pad. Most of my possessions are as well. The movers left behind the food in my fridge and the cleaning supplies under my sink. There are still lots of boxes in places where I don't really need there to be boxes. The mattress is on track to be replaced tomorrow with a donation of a new one, so, for now, it sits there unadorned. It took a full 36 hours to get the PC set up, and I still can't find the remote to the Roku TV, without which it's an inert sheet of glass and plastic. Comcast replaced my modem, which was a surprise.

I can't put my finger why I'm just not comfortable here, that I feel as if this isn't my apartment. I guess it'ds the awful silence a lot of the time when I don't have my usual background of music.

I'll feel very silly if I never find that remote.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Osirus wrote:
Just watched some of the announcement video for Google Stadia, the impending new gaming platform. Basically a gaming service like any of the others, and like Origin offers the option of a subscription service to have temporary access to their ever-expanding library of selected games, or basic usage you just buy whatever games you want and they're yours forever.

The big advantage that Stadia touts is that it's platform-agnostic and runs on the Google servers, so the game will play the same on your TV/PC/tablet/etc., and cross-play across devices is a given.

I suppose that may be exciting for some, but as I basically just play on my PC anyway and am not excited to buy a Chrome-cast box for my TV (nor their $70 controller), I'm about as excited for this launch as I was for Origin and Epic, which is to say... I'll be interested when they start handing out free games.


It's not even a teeny, tiny bit remotely exciting. Super huge yawn. Plus I no longer trust Google as far as I could throw the entire crappy company. No thanks, and I'll be actively warning people not to buy into it. shake


Hey, Tony and I have something else in common (besides our deep love for everything Halo)! I actively hate Google as well!

I would quit playing video games before I bought a Stadia.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Well, I'm in the new pad. Most of my possessions are as well. The movers left behind the food in my fridge and the cleaning supplies under my sink. There are still lots of boxes in places where I don't really need there to be boxes. The mattress is on track to be replaced tomorrow with a donation of a new one, so, for now, it sits there unadorned. It took a full 36 hours to get the PC set up, and I still can't find the remote to the Roku TV, without which it's an inert sheet of glass and plastic. Comcast replaced my modem, which was a surprise.

I can't put my finger why I'm just not comfortable here, that I feel as if this isn't my apartment. I guess it'ds the awful silence a lot of the time when I don't have my usual background of music.

I'll feel very silly if I never find that remote.


Do you have a cell phone? There's a Roku TV app that turns your phone into a remote.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Well, I'm in the new pad. Most of my possessions are as well. The movers left behind the food in my fridge and the cleaning supplies under my sink. There are still lots of boxes in places where I don't really need there to be boxes. The mattress is on track to be replaced tomorrow with a donation of a new one, so, for now, it sits there unadorned. It took a full 36 hours to get the PC set up, and I still can't find the remote to the Roku TV, without which it's an inert sheet of glass and plastic. Comcast replaced my modem, which was a surprise.

I can't put my finger why I'm just not comfortable here, that I feel as if this isn't my apartment. I guess it'ds the awful silence a lot of the time when I don't have my usual background of music.

I'll feel very silly if I never find that remote.


Do you have a cell phone? There's a Roku TV app that turns your phone into a remote.


For the TV to respond to the phone they have to be on the same WiFi network, which also means you can't use your phone to turn on the TV. I had a new WiFi network pt in new router), so the TV will need to be reconnected to that network which, again, cannot be done without the remote.

So the phone with app is not the perfect remote substitute that would be monst handy at times like this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Well, I'm in the new pad. Most of my possessions are as well. The movers left behind the food in my fridge and the cleaning supplies under my sink. There are still lots of boxes in places where I don't really need there to be boxes. The mattress is on track to be replaced tomorrow with a donation of a new one, so, for now, it sits there unadorned. It took a full 36 hours to get the PC set up, and I still can't find the remote to the Roku TV, without which it's an inert sheet of glass and plastic. Comcast replaced my modem, which was a surprise.

I can't put my finger why I'm just not comfortable here, that I feel as if this isn't my apartment. I guess it'ds the awful silence a lot of the time when I don't have my usual background of music.

I'll feel very silly if I never find that remote.


Do you have a cell phone? There's a Roku TV app that turns your phone into a remote.


For the TV to respond to the phone they have to be on the same WiFi network, which also means you can't use your phone to turn on the TV. I had a new WiFi network pt in new router), so the TV will need to be reconnected to that network which, again, cannot be done without the remote.

So the phone with app is not the perfect remote substitute that would be monst handy at times like this.


Boo. Things are supposed to just work.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ranting. As usual.

Xbox Elite controller: the single best controller I have ever used but disappointing design and build quality for a $150 controller. The design of the bumpers is inexcusably bad. Instead of using springs to drive the bumper action MS relies on the spring tension of a plastic piece to move the bumpers in and out of activation. The right and left bumpers are a single piece of plastic that are attached (internally of course) across the front of the controller. When you depress the bumpers and release them the inherent rigidity of the plastic piece is what activates and releases the bumper. Squeeze and the bumper activates. Release and the rigidity of the piece of plastic springs to return to normal form and moves away from the activation switch.

Half assed explanation: So, um, plastic fatigues. A metal piece would spring as well but would ultimately adopt the depressed profile by exciting the molecules in it by heating the crystalline structure of the metal. Just like bending a piece of metal back and forth to break it. So I get why metal was not used. Plastic does not suffer the same problem. It will not deform to adopt the depressed state, it will just spring and spring until it fatigues and then it snaps. Like mine did.

So I've ordered a replacement set of bumpers for my controller. Actually a second set of replacement bumpers. First set (Amazon drop shipped garbage) were of spectacularly low casting quality that they didn't fit. Yay 5 star ratings on Amazon! Yay for Amazon prime. Those went back in a hurry. Learning my lesson (or not) about ordering 5 star rated drop shipped garbage off of Amazon, I promptly ordered another set of drop shipped 5 star rated bumpers from Amazon. Hopefully these work better. Time to disassemble my controller and see if these work better.

A set of actual springs to actuate individual bumpers on top of the micro switches would be a far better solution. But I suspect this would add an unacceptable amount of R&D costs to the controller design that when put into production on an economy of scale would eat pennies out of the profits on the controller.

Sigh.

I've had it. If this doesn't fix my Elite Controller I'm just going to have to buy a new one. That will teach MS a valuable lesson. Sure you can take my money. But if I'm not happy I'll make you take my money again!

shake

Actually, I will probably spend a bit more and get a Scuf. Why not? If I'm throwing money away on a video game controller...

This wouldn't be an issue if I didn't hate thumbstick clicks in games with the white hot heat of a million suns. Why do game designers assign crucial game functions to thumbstick clicks? Run as a thumbstick click? On the thumbstick that is also used for movement? So I've got to orient myself towards the direction of travel, initiate movement and then click the thumbstick as I'm moving to run and hope that the clicking of the thumbstick does not create any addition motion in the thumbstick and make me deviate from my desired path of travel? Idiocy!

Man, this rant is teetering on the edge of a rabbit hole. I better stop. At least typing. I'm going to keep ranting. I just won't subject y'all to it.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's a big reason why I'm not always so fond of console controls or controllers. When the game and the controls are good on a controller, they're awesome, but so many more times, they (sadly) are not.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Repairing the XB1 Elite controller took about 10 minutes and is super easy. Of course this is the fifth time I have field stripped my controller so I'm aware of the little tricks you need to do.
New grips and new shoulder buttons set me back about $40 and I have a spare set of shoulder buttons as well (ordered a two pack). Obviously an investment I'd never do for a standard XB1 controller when a new one is around $50, but worth it for an Elite controller so I don't have to use thumbstick clicks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my first set of Amazon controllers was also crap that only worked sporadically for a bit until it broke entirely. But now that I have the option, it is really nice to be able to play PC games with controllers; Hollow Knight would have been much worse without, and currently Dauntless is a lot easier to run around w/a controller.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh! Have to work today...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Ugh! Have to work today...

Boo!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
Ugh! Have to work today...

Boo!


Right?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up my mattress today. It came from the church thrift store (brand new of their manufacturer) and the guy who drove me there and helped me set it up had his two young daughters along. It was actu7ally a teaching moment for the kids -- they asked, of all things, who was paying for the roads. Both of us explained what the government did, and I pointed out disagreement and elections. Taxes also came up as something adults deal with. Their father ended up with a long list of things taxes pay for, from roads to schools.

I didn't have the heart to tell them about defense spending. They're young enough not to be ready for talk of war.

I haven't slept on the new mattress yet, so I don't know how my back will like it.

And I still have boxes, boxes, boxes, and my PC was set up yesterday b a neighbor who insists he is an expert. But there are several things I want it to do it won't, like read my external hard drives. Which I can't do because he wouldn't chain my power strips and insisted on plugging the sound system directly into the wall This meant I ran out of outlets. He also chose to use cheap external hubs to connect all my USB devices, which guarantees trouble. I'm going to have to pretty much do it all over again. since I keep a lot of ebooks and media on my three external drives, this is really bothersome. I'm also not sure whether the drives actually work or were damaged in the move.

I also still haven't found either the Roku TV remote or my tablet. Add to that that I find myself triple-booked Tuesday, including the appointment that is my one chance in this unit to find anything, this is bad.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got spoiled on the Xbox controllers, because I can lay back on the couch or bed and play the console, of having to sit at a table with KVM. I think that ended a friendship years ago with a hardcore PC guy.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I tried to use a controller for an extended period (15-minutes plus) I got a really intense, sharp pain in my shoulder. from my perspective, they're much better in short bursts.

I was during a racing game at a LAN where I was not very familiar with the way cars were controlled.

I also only have experience on the PC with wired controllers. I imagine a wireless controller with a USB hub would be much more pleasant.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
Ugh! Have to work today...

Boo!


Right?

Working anytime you'd rather be enjoying a day off is no fun.

Of course, I have a weekend free from all work and obligations, and it is no surprise I'm spending it with tons of solo gaming...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Had some plans to kayak down the river today, but the weather the past two days has been awful. Hopefully we can do that next Saturday. But I've played a lot of video games today, which has been nice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
Ugh! Have to work today...

Boo!


Right?

Working anytime you'd rather be enjoying a day off is no fun.

Of course, I have a weekend free from all work and obligations, and it is no surprise I'm spending it with tons of solo gaming...


At least it's relaxing playing whatever type of game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Work was long and hot. Got up to nearly 90 degrees Fahrenheit and quite humid. Wouldn't have honestly been that bad but was forced an hour an another route. And it wound up being well over that since you have to account for travel time from my route to the station and from the station to the OT. But I have a day off tomorrow!

I'm thinking about jumping in on Journey. It's only $5 American dollars and it's a game I have wanted to play for a super long time.

We will see how tomorrow goes though. I need to take dog to the park, mow the lawn, vacuum and clean both bathrooms. Plus my daughter is on summer break and I am going to do what I can to reduce the negative impact of being out of school for nearly three months. I have a bunch of multiplication and division flash cards I made up and I am planning on making some for fractions as well. Plus we have her spend an hour reading each day and got her a workbook with different problems she can do. Of course it is all just busy work and nothing very engaging. But at least it's better than her going three months without engaging her reading writing and arithmetic skills.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
At least it's relaxing playing whatever type of game.

Yes, which is very appreciated! This was a rather stressful week - I'm the guinea pig at work for a new type of team communication that is rolling out... so I've had a lot of meetings this last week setting up what is expected going forward.

I've done all types of solo gaming today! I played The Lost Expedition which is a solo board game, and lots of Stardew Valley (I have several more achievements I was aiming for!) And next up is some solo RPGing as I play Quill: A Letter-Writing Roleplaying Game for a Single Player.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Remote found! Too bad I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch today, so it was sort of anticlimactic.

I guess indecision is my main problem this weekend when it comes to activities. I'm so overwhelmed with boxes I can't face it, and the sort of help I need is not forthcoming. And it's becoming obvious that I don't even have places to put the stuff I've already unpacked, much less the stuff that's been sitting in boxes. Sometimes this weekend I've wished I could just toss the lot into a bonfire and start from scratch!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to work again today. Who needs a day off? whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  686 , 687 , 688 , 689 , 690  Next »  [707] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.