United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still talking. Whatever. Played quite a bit of The Sims 3 this weekend, which was fun. My daughter and I created our family in game, which amused her to no end. Especially after we created out beagle in the game, and my daughter found out that we can interact with our beagle, such as by playing fetch, tug of war...whatever. She was laughing hysterically every time virtual beagle did anything cute. There will be quite a few hours spent in that game, I can tell already.

Tried out Space Engineers for a little bit as well. There's a LOT going on in that game, and my impression thus far is that it is a true sandbox game. Once you play through some of the "tutorials", the main game just dumps you on a planet, or a moon...and doesn't really give you any objectives or anything to speak of. You have a welder, and a grinder, and a mining tool...and it seems to be pretty much up to you to figure out what you want to do. There's a ton of stuff to build and engineer, and the game seems mostly centered around finding the resources (ores, metals, fuels) to build more stuff, which are then used to go acquire more resources to build even more stuff. There's no leveling or anything like that, and the game is very "engineering-centric" in that a lot of the build options are engineering components that can be used to build structures or vehicles. It's a pretty different approach to a sandbox game than I've ever played, but it's definitely an interesting one. I'll need to put in some more hours before I can give a really good impression though.

Soooo...that's about all I can think of for the moment. I'm sure the incoherent rambling will continue throughout the day / week. You've all been warned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
We had our store's one year anniversary sale Saturday and really did well. Summer is when everyone comes in for books, it seems. It was a good day, and yesterday we mostly just recovered from the week. We're off this Thursday.

Today I'm going to mow the lawn, so that's a treat.
Aw, Jay interrupted my combo!

Congrats on the anniversary! Makes sense that Summer is busy time for a bookstore - my wife and I just picked up a couple for our vacation. I'm sure many people are doing the same.

Mow the lawn as a treat though? I'll admit that I don't really mind the task, but I'm not sure I would call it a "treat", exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
Booking flights to Hawaii to take my daughter to college this August, so I guess this kid growing up thing is really happening.
Countdown to me being a complete mess commences.
I absolutely understand that you must be going through some pretty serious anxiety from your daughters imminent departure and all, but...

...on the other hand, this is a REALLY cool opportunity for her, and it's pretty damn awesome that she'll be able to experience going to school in Hawaii. I'm 36 and have never been, yet she's going to spend the better part of 4 years immersing herself in the culture, and the beautiful environment, something so many of us have only dreamed of.

I know that here on the 'geek, we're pretty divided when it comes to the value of a college degree. And that's fine. But at least from my own experiences, I know I gained more in my 4 years away from school than I could have otherwise. And not simply from my "formal education", but the myriad of other experiences gained while away from home, working towards the goal of graduating with that degree. This will be the time of her life, and I'm sure you're beyond proud that she's made it to this point - as you should be. But you should also be proud that you and your wife gave her the foundation to succeed, and gave her such a tremendous gift.

She's a lucky girl.
Seconded. My college experience was incredible for so many different reasons. I’m so fortunate I got the opportunity to go. Best time of my life. She’ll love it, I’m sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short week for me as well. Off for Independence Day and taking a vacation day Friday. Work has been insane the past couple of months, so a nice 4 day weekend sounds good to me. Then, if I can get through next week, I’m on vacation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Short week for me as well. Off for Independence Day and taking a vacation day Friday. Work has been insane the past couple of months, so a nice 4 day weekend sounds good to me. Then, if I can get through next week, I’m on vacation!
Seriously, are you me? That's my story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
The jig is up, Pat. I’m your alter ego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent this entire weekend furiously writing a game for the Game Chef RPG contest, which I turned in last night. Whew! But it also meant I didn't do anything else with weekend.

I believe I have to move desks at work today... but no one has told QA we need to, even though I overheard from other teams that it has to be done by EOD. Grrr.... So I'm not moving until I'm officially told.

This time, the building isn't moving us, so we have to carry all our stuff to the next floor up... which is nice, and also a pain, since we need to find carts to put stuff on. *sigh*

I'm with Pat and Gabe... I am so close to burnout that I'm taking Friday off since I figure I'll miss nothing at work, and spending time away from work will be better for me. I should probably schedule a Friday away from work every month to keep my morale up... a four-day weekend sounds super nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
The jig is up, Pat. I’m your alter ego.
I'm not sure that's entirely a good thing for you. And the question still remains if you're my good alter ego, or my bad one.

...and what's that make me? Hm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I spent this entire weekend furiously writing a game for the Game Chef RPG contest, which I turned in last night. Whew! But it also meant I didn't do anything else with weekend.
Sounds like a pretty fun weekend actually. Well, if you're into the writing thing anyways. Which it sounds like you are, so wohoo to that!

I never understand how my weekends go by so quickly. There's a lot of fun stuff for sure, but there's still a lot of routine. Always work to be done around the place, groceries to shop for, and "to-do" lists to get through. Aside from a couple "Sims" breaks now and then, by the time I actually got to sit down to relax for good...it was already 10pm and about time for me to call it a night.

Ironically, I think a lot of my burnout has more to do with what happens at home rather than at work. More on that another time though...

adularia25 wrote:
I'm with Pat and Gabe... I am so close to burnout that I'm taking Friday off since I figure I'll miss nothing at work, and spending time away from work will be better for me. I should probably schedule a Friday away from work every month to keep my morale up... a four-day weekend sounds super nice.
Yea, I'm terrible at keeping morale up. I think the only reason I'm succeeding at that at the moment is because I know it's a short week this week, next week is normal...and then I'm actually on a beach vacation. Hard not to look forward to that.

Seriously though, there's a LOT I need to work on to "fix" the rest of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got the lawn done. I listened to my book while I did it, so that was nice. Makes the time fly. Now I have to figure out lunch for everyone.

Meanwhile, I watched an anime movie called A Silent Voice, and now I'm watching a series called March Comes in Like a Lion which is about a professional Shogi player. I really enjoy anime when it's not about battling for the future of mankind and is just about life things, like Silver Spoon or Her Lie in April. I suppose I would like movies about such things if they were live action as well. Not sure though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone here interested in a copy of Days Gone for PS4? It's out of shrink but was never installed, the case was opened once, nothing more done with it. Got it a while back thanks to a guy I hired (he worked at Gamestop). So I'm willing to let it go cheap as I'm trying to raise funds right now to survive while I hope to get a new job.

I'm trying to get $35 for it. That's a #20 dollar discount if anyone's wondering. For some reason, the pricing on it hasn't dropped much.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested.

Thanks, I will avoid posting anything else of this nature as I know the thread isn't for that. Figured this once couldn't hurt though as I know it'll go to a good home here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last week or so I've been having a lot of balance issues. I finally saw Urgent Care about it. They told me to schedule with my PCP but were concerned about the informait0on I gave them.

Right now, when it comes to my physical position, nothing is stable. I stumble when I walk. I've fallen a couple of times, and it's no fun. My legs feel either light and numb or in localized, excruciating pain. the urgent care provider said I should consider getting a walker because she suspects neuropathy in my legs that will not be resolved anytime soon.

My mother's neuropathy ended up putting her in a wheelchair. So this is a very serious matter.

Frustrating. Really frustrating, and a bit scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hammar
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Anyone here interested in a copy of Days Gone for PS4?
Thanks for the offer. It's tempting, but only as a present to a pal, and he dithed his PS4 a while ago. Hope you find a better home for it.

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
My mother's neuropathy ended up putting her in a wheelchair. So this is a very serious matter.
Dang, that sucks. I truly hope stuff improves for you.
BTW, I almost didn't recognize you after the change of avatar! Funny how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck with the medical issues Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Yeah, could really use some good news there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
To my fellow countrymen and countrywomen, any plans for the upcoming holiday?

Looks like we'll be heading to my parents for a couple days. The town I grew up in does a 4th of July Parade and fireworks, which we think our daughter would really enjoy. So we're heading there Wednesday afternoon through Friday. On Friday morning we're taking the long way home through the Adirondacks to stop by my aunt and uncles place, as they'll have the rest of the family up there for the holiday. Good opportunity to see all the cousins and their kids, and to take a jump in the lake.

We'll be back home Friday night, so will get to spend the weekend home. I think that's a pretty good mix of visiting family, and being able to spend some down time as home.

Oh, and I'm sure there will be food. Lots, and lots of food. And I'm sure I'll have to cook most of it...hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get well soon, Michael.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@pat No plans for the holiday, specifically, due to being dangerously broke. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought hamburgers to grill, pork to grill, and chicken to grill. Not sure what if any of that will be related to the 4th but probably some of it will. I have softball tonight, and we're going to fireworks on the 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Yeah, could really use some good news there.
It could be a lot worse. While it is possible (likely in fact) that this might be an issue with my nervous system, my cognition appears to be intact. I can still write and still think about what I write, but my ability to spend multiple hours at my desk is limited. In addition, I frequently experience sensations that are almost yet completely unlike drowsiness and lie down frequently.

So there are some things it hampers a great deal. Obviously walking is one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
I'm planning on sewing a 16th century british military uniform.

Eat it, America
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 4th not so much. Working our local fireworks show today. Get to work at 7am, get home around midnight. It’s a long day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:

Eat it, America
Redcoats? Really? C'mon, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
ColdFrog wrote:

Eat it, America
Redcoats? Really? C'mon, now.

No, in the sixteenth century, it's red pants. The coats are ginger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
No, in the sixteenth century, it's red pants. The coats are ginger.
LoL. I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  700 , 701 , 702 , 703 , 704  Next »  [766] |