Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17670 Posts
[1]  Prev «  702 , 703 , 704 , 705 , 706  Next »  [707] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Level Whatever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Poop [+] [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherry pie was a success! We're playing RPGs with friends. I've done my homework for the workshop, now all I need is time to play some video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And all I managed to do this week is: land in the hospital for a few days, miss a deadline to cancel an automatic payment due to my hospital visit, miss a sale deadline on software I really need for my new side hustle (is that what they call them now) based on said hospital visit, and generally make a full-featured ass of myself with no realistic prospects for, well, anything this month.

I am now in the position that once I pay everything I know I have to pay (and that's just what I know is coming), I won't have anything for the finer things in life, like groceries from someplace other than Discount Outlet.

For now, I will have to pay what bills I can out of pocket right now and hope I can do something that balances the scales a little.

At least I am relatively healthy and have food and stuffed stowed away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that Americans have less public holidays than we do. But I finally checked, and I was wrong:

Holidays for Federal Employees (10):
New Year's Day (January 1).
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Third Monday in January).
Washington's Birthday (Third Monday in February).
Memorial Day (Last Monday in May).
Independence Day (July 4).
Labor Day (First Monday in September).
Columbus Day (Second Monday in October).
Veterans Day (November 11).
Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November).
Christmas Day (December 25).

New Zealand Public holidays 2019 (10):
New Year's Day — Tuesday 1 January
Day after New Year's Day — Wednesday 2 January
Waitangi Day — Wednesday 6 February
Good Friday — Friday 19 April
Easter Monday — Monday 22 April
ANZAC Day — Thursday 25 April
Queen's Birthday — Monday 3 June
Labour Day — Monday 28 October
Christmas Day — Wednesday 25 December
Boxing Day — Thursday 26 December

plus also "Anniversary Day" in Jan/Feb which varies by region, but I guess you might have additional State holidays? Also, New Zealand holidays which fall on a weekend are "Monday-ised", i.e. celebrated on the following Monday. So we always get these 11. Plus some workplaces (including mine) give 2-3 Company Days between Christmas and New Year, usually in an attempt to get employees to take a full 2 weeks off at that time so they can close the office. Pretty cruisy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I always thought that Americans have less public holidays than we do. But I finally checked, and I was wrong:

Not all public holidays have the same (or any) reverence - for some of those you have to be a specific kind of public employee to even remember.

Columbus Day and President's Day, for example, are not holidays for most people - including for employees and students. Columbus day is also the subject of cultural dispute and is celebrated by some as Indigenous Peoples Day.

The big ones on your list are Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July. Labor day is a holiday for some, but in some ways has been drawn back into the ongoing culture wars in the US, and often elicits open contempt, sometimes at an institutional level (wealthy private universities may make a point of not closing on Labor Day, for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

Not all public holidays have the same (or any) reverence - for some of those you have to be a specific kind of public employee to even remember.

Columbus Day and President's Day, for example, are not holidays for most people - including for employees and students. Columbus day is also the subject of cultural dispute and is celebrated by some as Indigenous Peoples Day.

The big ones on your list are Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July. Labor day is a holiday for some, but in some ways has been drawn back into the ongoing culture wars in the US, and often elicits open contempt, sometimes at an institutional level (wealthy private universities may make a point of not closing on Labor Day, for instance).

IIRC, Labor Day was adopted in a (successful) effort to minimize celebration of International Worker's Day on May 1, an observance linked closely to anarchism, communism, and the more radical elements of the labor movement. The International Workers of the World (IWW, known colloquially as the "Wobblies") continued to parade on May Day for several years, often attracting harsh response from police. Labor Day was accepted as a somewhat more peaceful holiday at which people said farewell to the ebbing summer with picnics, barbecues, and the occasional parade. The spirit is almost entirely non-confrontational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I say "elicits open contempt," I don't mean from laborers, I mean for them, in case that wasn't clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got off work, now the weekend begins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
I return from vacation slightly sick but also slightly re-invigorated in some things.
For starters, I'm going to actually start writing reviews. On VGG initially and maybe branch from there after I start developing my own sense of how I want to write, I have a few ideas floating around right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a bad week last week. I mean a REALLY bad week. And I am in all kinds of difficulty as a result (nothing I did, no crimes or anything like that, but a lot of rotten timing and difficulties with basic arithmetic, and a fundamental change in what career plans I had).

But I'm making progress at the RPG writing workshop, and finally, I have an outline I'm happy with. The question now is how I'll manage to complete the manuscript in two weeks. It's only 3,500-4,000 words, but the schedule might be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
My family and my friends got together and expertly pulled off a double surprise party for my 40th. Some family even came in from out of state. I was absolutely stunned, and it was great.

I was thrown for such a loop that I completely forgot that I had to go to work for a couple of hours on Sunday. My boss was none too happy that I missed work and neither was the company that has our contract. It should be an interesting day today dealing with the fallout. In case you were wondering what I was doing at the time I was supposed to be at work... I was out playing a round of mini golf/putt-putt with my older brother, my nephew, and my great nephew. Worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
My family and my friends got together and expertly pulled off a double surprise party for my 40th. Some family even came in from out of state. I was absolutely stunned, and it was great.

I was thrown for such a loop that I completely forgot that I had to go to work for a couple of hours over on Sunday. My boss was none too happy that I missed work and neither was the company that has our contract. It should be an interesting day today dealing with the fallout. In case you were wondering what I was doing at the time I was supposed to be at work... I was out playing a round of mini golf/putt-putt with my older brother, my nephew, and my great nephew. Worth it.

You're not older than me. It can't beeeee....

Happy 40th dude. Hope the fallout isn't too bad. You don't turn 40 every day, but you do go to work pretty much every day. Including Sundays, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
You're not older than me. It can't beeeee....

It's weird to think I could have as many kids as you at my age, Jay. Now I am feeling the old, so thanks for that.

Quote:
Happy 40th dude.

Thanks, Jay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:

Wait, what? I refuse to believe that you're 40. That means I'm getting close to that age, and that REALLY can't be right!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...Happy belated birthday Rudy!

tickmanfan wrote:
I was thrown for such a loop that I completely forgot that I had to go to work for a couple of hours over on Sunday. My boss was none too happy that I missed work and neither was the company that has our contract.

Rudy: "Ehhhhh, so about the missing work on Sunday thing? Yea, my bad. But how about as a late birthday present, I just say 'sorry about that', we move on and forget the whole thing, yea?"

tickmanfan wrote:
It should be an interesting day today dealing with the fallout.

Rudy said Fallout!

tickmanfan wrote:
In case you were wondering what I was doing at the time I was supposed to be at work... I was out playing a round of mini golf/putt-putt with my older brother, my nephew, and my great nephew.

"They say on your deathbed, you never wish you spent more time at the office..."

- Some guy.

tickmanfan wrote:
Worth it.

Totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
...Happy belated birthday Rudy!

Thank you, Pat!

Quote:
Rudy said Fallout!

Pat, you have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Quote:
Rudy said Fallout!

Pat, you have a problem.

I've been here for 5-something years. You can't tell me you're only now just figuring that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it was a happy birthday. And any company that has someone come in on Sunday, sucks.

I'm dealing with some health issues right now related to stress and high-blood pressure, so that's worrying.

Waiting to hear if I'm going to be called in for a 2nd interview with this manpower position I desperately want to get.

And finally, congrats to US Women for winning the World Cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, best of luck Tony. I understand how stress and high blood pressure could be a bit of an issue for you at the moment. Fingers crossed your situation gets resolved quickly, and everything gets back to normal again. I've got faith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The holidays I "get off" because I can't be at work because the building is closed:

The holidays I get paid for:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
This week is already proving to be one where it is incredibly difficult to maintain focus.

Family vacation to Cape Cod next week. Wife, kiddo, mother in law and myself in a beach house for a week. We've been going to the Cape for a few Summers now, but are checking out a new area, and will be in a slightly larger house. That will be nice - we'll all have a bit more room, and it's a new area to explore. Since we booked the trip back in October or November last year, it's always seemed so far off. Now that it's only a week away however, I'm getting rather excited. I need the time off.

And yeaaaaaa, there's been a ton of Great White Sharks spotted at the Cape this year (including 10 in one day!), plus a bunch of warnings saying one shouldn't venture into water more than knee-deep, but we'll probably be fine. The way I see it, kiddo and I are the only ones that really get into the water anyways, and I'm not taking her into water that's more than knee deep because she can't swim yet anyways, so it's a moot point. Oh, and our house is actually on a small lake, so we can all swim there. Problem solved.

Admittedly though? I think it would be really cool to see a Great White in person. Not 20 feet away and approaching quickly while I'm wading in the water of course, but from a safe distance. There's a bunch of wildlife preserves set up along the Cape for the preservation of the seals that live there, and where there are seals, there are sharks...so maybe we can check out one of those places and look out for a bit.

More than anything though, I'm just looking forward to some down time. Getting to walk along the beach, check out a bunch of places to go eat, drive around the Cape and explore, relax back at the house in the evenings and maybe play a game or two...and not really have to worry about work for a week. I will need to log in a couple times to take care of a few things that only I can handle at the moment, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Can't wait. Don't want to be here now, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Glad it was a happy birthday. And any company that has someone come in on Sunday, sucks.

I'm dealing with some health issues right now related to stress and high-blood pressure, so that's worrying.

Waiting to hear if I'm going to be called in for a 2nd interview with this manpower position I desperately want to get.

And finally, congrats to US Women for winning the World Cup.

Thinking of you, Tony. You've had a rough time of it lately, so I can understand why you're stressed. Your providers will know what they're doing.

I had a bit of a cardiac scare last week myself, but it turned out to be not at all related to my heart. Took two days in the hospital (including the 4th) and a couple of very frightening tests to figure that out, though.

And I'm echoing the sentiments on Rudy's birthday. I saw the back side of forty quite a while ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
And I'm echoing the sentiments on Rudy's birthday. I saw the back side of forty quite a while ago.

Better seeing the backside of 40 than Rudy's backside.

Hiyo!

Edit: Although Rudy doesn't strike me as the sortof guy that would display the "full moon" unprovoked.

...that seems like more of a me and / or Kevin maneuver.

Edit to the Edit: Of course, none of this is suggesting that flashing ones backside is appropriate anyways, and my aforementioned comment was purely for humorous purposes, but I felt like I was treading on thin ice and should probably explain myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya know, I should probably just stop talking before someone decides to yell at me, and / or I get blocked or banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
butts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for Rudy! All the thread
Applauds four decades that you've led!
Your neck is still attached to head!
We very glad you're still not dead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Hooray for Rudy! All the thread
Applauds four decades that you've led!
Your neck is still attached to head!
We very glad you're still not dead!
Oh nuts! It was rudy's birthday? That's what I get for doing a renaissance faire where I'm basically out of commission all weekend. I miss all the good events.

Happy birthday you paragon of posting, you baron of burritos, you... uh... Thultan of Thumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  702 , 703 , 704 , 705 , 706  Next »  [707] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.