Hide
8 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Bazaar » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Where to sell video game guides? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D T
msg tools
I have a collection of classic video game guides. That's right- old school printed guides for console RPGs and the like. I won't go into listing them off as it may be interpreted as peddling my wares on here. Ideally trying to sell as a single lot unit.

The question is- where's a good place to sell this?

Does VGG have a category for this? The Video Game section on Geek Market doesn't seem to have an area catering to accessory or companion products.

Ebay- the vanilla answer. Often a wretched hive of scum and villainy. A lot of bad experiences with this one. Seller fees are high, they nickle and dime any listing options, and it just feels ripe for scammy tricks. Probably the only option.

Amazon? No experience with. Not sure if it would accommodate selling an entire LOT, or used stuff in general.

Craigslist/ LetGo- Another shifty-eye market place I hold with skepticism. Plus the listings tend to only be locally based.

Your testimonial experience and personal suggestions welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you have any of these near you, but Half Price Books stores will take video game strategy guides. It's probably 10% of what you'd get on ebay or amazon, but it's a good way to off load a bunch of stuff really easy without having to worry about scary buyers who would try to scam you. Another issue with strategy guides is that they're heavy, meaning high shipping costs, unless you're shipping just a couple at a time.

The Half Price Book stores around me all have tons of video game strategy guides in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan is on the right track, if you don't have a Half Price Books, look for 2nd & Charles, or a local used book store. They will often take video game guides for either cash or trade credit (which is the route I usually go when selling books, movies, or games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I used Decluttr to unload a bunch of DVDs when my sister in law passed away over the summer. Basically you scan in the UPCs into the app or type them into the website, and they tell you the value they will give you. When you are done, you box them up, print out the prepaid shipping label and drop it off. Then they either send you a check, although I think you can get other payment forms. Didn't get much money, but it was easy to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this is just the curious collector in me, but I'd be interested to know what strategy guides you have. I used to collect strategy guides for JRPGs and other games back in the day. I don't do so as much anymore, because I can barely justify paying $48 for a brand new game anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T
msg tools
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just to be clear: Does the Video Game Geek Bazaar field these types of sales? (i.e. Video Game related paraphernalia)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
DT2127 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just to be clear: Does the Video Game Geek Bazaar field these types of sales? (i.e. Video Game related paraphernalia)

Octavian has told me video Game related merchandise can be sold in the Geek Market under the catch-all, "Outside the scope of VGG".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.