Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
99 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: What have you been listening to lately? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this thread over on RPGG, so I thought I’d start one here. Outside of gaming, music is another one of my passions. I run an independent studio/production company in addition to my regular job, so I’m always up for talking about and discovering new music!

Rather than limit it to just music however, I thought it would be good to also include podcasts or audiobooks if you feel like sharing. When I’m not listening to music, I’m typically listening to podcasts.

So what have you been listening to lately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered an up and coming indie rock band called Bad Bad Hats. They toured with an indie folk punk band I like called The Front Bottoms, so I had the pleasure of seeing them live (and meeting the singer, Kerry) a few weeks ago. Leading up to the show, I thought I would check out their music on Apple Music, and their LP “Psychic Reader” quickly made its way into my heavy rotation playlist.

Here’s one of my favorites from the album, a song called “Midway.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to NPR just about every day.

Right now:

I bought Violent Femmes eponymous cd. But I couldn't rip it to my itunes for some reason. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I listen to NPR just about every day.

Right now:

I bought Violent Femmes eponymous cd. But I couldn't rip it to my itunes for some reason. soblue

NPR is a big part of my commute! I also enjoy listening to tiny desk concerts and “All Songs Considered” while I work. And I also happen to love Violent Femmes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldies. I haven't found a radio station I like, so I'd been listening to classical music during my commute. But just the other day, I grabbed three CDs to play in my car, and now I've played them each once or twice through.

One is Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits (the first of three or four such compilations). Another is The Best of Leonard Cohen (first of two of those, I think; I own two anyway). The third is Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Here's the title song from that:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Oldies. I haven't found a radio station I like, so I'd been listening to classical music during my commute. But just the other day, I grabbed three CDs to play in my car, and now I've played them each once or twice through.

One is Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits (the first of three or four such compilations). Another is The Best of Leonard Cohen (first of two of those, I think; I own two anyway). The third is Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Here's the title song from that:

Fun fact, Bob Dylan once asked me for directions to Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley’s House. He happened to stop in a convenience store I was at near Ralph’s house. One of the most random and awesome experiences of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Fun fact, Bob Dylan once asked me for directions to Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley’s House. He happened to stop in a convenience store I was at near Ralph’s house. One of the most random and awesome experiences of my life.

Cool! I guess the closest I ever got to a celebrity musician was sharing an elevator ride with John Denver at an Atlanta hotel. Oh, and I work just a few blocks from Prince's studio (now museum).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An old friend recently pointed me towards this band... they're amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
The last album I listened to was Utopia by Björk. Although I was huge fan in the 1990's, I had pretty much given up on Björk because, starting with Vespertine, every album seemed to be worse than the previous one, but then came Vulnicura in 2015, which won me over again with powerful, impactful music (even if the lyrics were her poorest to date).

Sadly, with Utopia she's back to selfish cacophony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from kid stuff, the last thing I listened to was Wagner's Die Walküre. It's not an opera I would recommend someone listen to (aside from the first song of Act III) if they're just starting. For those people I would say Carmen, Barber of Seville, The Magic Flute, or Die Fledermaus.

I'm going to a 1920s party tonight, so I imagine I'll be listening to a lot of jazz and flapper music, if that's an actual genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Taylor Swift's new album "Reputation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Quote:
What have you been listening to lately?

My inner monologue. Dude won't shut up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elvis Costello. Best of.

Man, the man can rhyme:

New Amsterdam it's become much too much
Till I have the possession of everything she touches
Till I step on the brakes to get out of her clutches
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Quote:
What have you been listening to lately?

My inner monologue. Dude won't shut up.

I enjoy talking to myself, but half the time I don't know what I'm going to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
Aside from kid stuff, the last thing I listened to was Wagner's Die Walküre. It's not an opera I would recommend someone listen to (aside from the first song of Act III) if they're just starting. For those people I would say Carmen, Barber of Seville, The Magic Flute, or Die Fledermaus.

I'm going to a 1920s party tonight, so I imagine I'll be listening to a lot of jazz and flapper music, if that's an actual genre.

I always tell people to start with any Rossini Overatures (Barber of Seville, WIlliam Tell, Thieving Magie, etc.).
Or, as I call them, "Bugs Bunny" music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My "recent" discovery is more than a year old now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebel Galaxy soundtrack, Sword Art Online English translations by AmaLee, songs from The Voice by Cassadee Pope, Nicholas David, and Swan Brothers... RWBY soundtrack. Various country and rock artists.

Anne of Green Gables and the rest of the series for books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
jdw734 wrote:

I always tell people to start with any Rossini Overatures (Barber of Seville, WIlliam Tell, Thieving Magie, etc.).
Or, as I call them, "Bugs Bunny" music.
jdw734 wrote:
Aside from kid stuff, the last thing I listened to was Wagner's Die Walküre. It's not an opera I would recommend someone listen to (aside from the first song of Act III)

Kill waaabbit, kill the waaabbit, kill the waaabbit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting into the Christmas sprit:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep meaning to update the music on my phone but recently I've been listening to an old playlist over and over as I keep forgetting to update it.

Sabotage - Beastie Boys
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Black Magic - Little Mix
Blast Off - David Guetta
All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor
F****d My Way Up To The Top - Lana Del Rey
Ready or Not - Fugees
All My Life - Foo Fighters

I'm not even sure how that playlist came into being...

Oh and I also picked up the Stranger Things Vol 1 soundtrack recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added Green Onions and Sleepwalk to my playlist, along with Gimme Some Lovin'. Couldn't find Thunderbox by Apollo Smile on Amazon Music Unlimited though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been listening to 80s music over the weekend. Apple Music has a “I Miss the 80s” playlist with a ton of classics on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
I keep meaning to update the music on my phone but recently I've been listening to an old playlist over and over as I keep forgetting to update it.

Sabotage - Beastie Boys
Always makes me think of Dara O Briain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AmIKhfr40

Cricky wrote:
All My Life - Foo Fighters
Cracking track... when I was still playing drums I tried to learn to play it. Gonna add it to my Amazon playlist..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on a Wednesday Campanella kick lately.

Oh, and cacophony is an excellent way to describe Bjork's latest release. It's well produced, just not easy to listen to. Debut will always be her my favorite album of mine hers.

edit - oi, that phrasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.