Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
545 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Rudy's exercise thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Building off of this post. Rather than clutter the VGG chat thread I figured I would make a new thread to help keep me accountable. I am going to try to post daily about my experience with my 30 day, 100 push ups a day challenge. I need something to do this winter and I hope I found my thing. Everyone is welcome to join me or do their own exercise thing and post about it here.

EDIT: I will be putting links to help folks with exercising.

1. Body weight exercises for those who do not want to use weights.
2. Looking for a work out routine? Check out here or the video here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Day 1 of my 30 day challenge of doing 100 push ups each day. Total for the day = 20.

I was hoping work was going to continue to be slow today, so I could have plenty of time to sneak away and do some sets of 10, but it wasn't. It was surprisingly busy up until the last few seconds of quitting time. No push ups done at work. Then I got home and was too tired when I entered the door to want to do anything but sit. I did get 10 in just before dinner, but now I am too full to want to do anything. I have 2-3 hours to digest food try to get 90 push ups in before bed. I think doing my max yesterday wasn't so smart because I feel tight in the top part of my pecs. That made doing my first set a little difficult. I have strong doubts that I make my quota today. Now worries, I am not giving up. I will try not to hurt myself and consider the first time I get 100 in my very first day of the challenge, so today may just be warm up.

Yeesh, I just did a set of 5. Don't get old, folks.

Did another set of 5. Definitely going to take it easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it. Push it. Push it real good.

But maybe starting with 100 a day from the get go is a bit hard. If you have the feeling that it is hard to get the 10x10 sets in a day, maybe tone down the challenge a bit, and increase the amount over time. Maybe start with 25 (or even 10) a day over 1 week, then try to double it until you reached the set treshold.

I have to admit that I had the good intention last year, to do push ups every day, starting with 10 and slowly raising the bar. I started January 1st, but got sick around 3rd or 4th, making me feel week, getting out of breath quicker than usual etc. And of course I forgot about this around mid of January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Rudy! I've been getting a little out of shape over the last year so I'll join you. I don't know if I'll ever hit 100 in a single day but I will try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I would exercise but the cat is on my lap. She keeps trying to leave, but I'm having none of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I did 50 in 5 sets (started with 15 in the first, finished with only 6) - then I felt like I was going to throw up so I decided to stop for a while. I may try to do more before bed but I'm probably going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
Ok, I did 50 in 5 sets (started with 15 in the first, finished with only 6) - then I felt like I was going to throw up so I decided to stop for a while. I may try to do more before bed but I'm probably going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow.

I'd high five you, if I could lift my arm up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
I have an exercise bike in my room. Last winter I did a lot of reading on it and that helped me stay faithful just about everyday. I should try to jump back on that again now that it's consistently freezing outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I have an exercise bike in my room. Last winter I did a lot of reading on it and that helped me stay faithful just about everyday. I should try to jump back on that again now that it's consistently freezing outside.

How freezing is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Rudy!

I won't be joining you in your insanity goals but I hope it goes well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:

How freezing is it?

For me, anything below 70 F° is cold, but it did get down to the teens with the wind here this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Renwmn wrote:

The floor is not gonna hump itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Rudy!

I tested the waters this evening. Managed to do a single set of 30, then gave up.

You've got this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What type of pushups are you doing? Hands in close under the armpits with elbows pointed backward? Wide armed using all chest muscles? Hands in a diamond shape? Hands just wider than shoulder width?

All use different muscles. You may even be able to get more pushups in by doing all different types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey good on you Rudy!

I started a push up routine a couple of months ago based on a suggestion on the MyFitnessPal newsletter, which is pretty good.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

They suggested doing press ups and squats every day for a month. I do a single session, about 35 press ups and 35 squats. Also I do hamstring stretches. My aim is to keep my back in good shape as I get a sore back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Astartus wrote:
laugh I saw what you did there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Astartus wrote:
laugh I saw what you did there!

Yep. That was my intention. This or:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
What type of pushups are you doing? Hands in close under the armpits with elbows pointed backward? Wide armed using all chest muscles? Hands in a diamond shape? Hands just wider than shoulder width?

All use different muscles. You may even be able to get more pushups in by doing all different types.

I am doing hands at shoulder length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a trick that can help you get started

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did pushups and situps every day for about six months straight.
Then one morning I woke up and I had a shooting pain in my left shoulder. Turns out I wrecked my rotator cuff.
Long story short: Doctors, X-Rays, proposed ultrasound that I blew off because I didn't ever believe it was a bone break, (painful) rehab exercises for 4 months.

I haven't done a push-up since.

Don't get old, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Today my pec muscles still feel tight and a little sore. It's going to be another warm up day. I will attempt a set after work and see how my body feels. I really want to do 100 in a day but I'd be cautious than to do something to hurt myself. I'll get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

I am going to lay off regular shoulder width push ups tonight and try the diamond shape. Thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

I am going to lay off regular shoulder width push ups tonight and try the diamond shape. Thanks for this!

I don't recommend this, haha...they are extra difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
I am going to lay off regular shoulder width push ups tonight and try the diamond shape.
I don't recommend this, haha...they are extra difficult.

You can't tell me what to do!!

Edit: You were right, I stopped at 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mb
Please don't judge me.

I wanted to join in too, but my arm/shoulder strength has been crap for the last 5 years or so. Plus trying to ramp up fast has been a huge pitfall for me. So I just did 10 wall pushups. I'll try to do another set of 10 later this afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.