Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
475 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: The 2018 Videogame Challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time to get ready for a new year, a year that we hope will be great for all of you! A year with lot of love, good fortune and happiness for all of you and your loved ones. But off course a year full of videogaming!

For this purpose and the succes of this years challenge we are repeating the challenge!

The Goal:

Let VGG'ers beat at least 5 games which accumelate to at least 50 hours of game time.

The Rules:

1 Enter a geeklist item in the geeklist before starting the challenge, games you beat before entering the challenge count but only for the regular challenge. Only games and hours played in 2018 count. To let them count for the hardcore challenge you need to enter the challenge before playing the games.
2 Optional: You may make up a list of videogames you intend to beat this year. If you are able to complete this challenge with the same ten games you have listed you will be eligable for the hardcore challenge microbadge.
2-1 As soon as you choose your list and updated your geeklist item then copy the list and post it as a comment under your geeklist item. Do not change this anymore as this is the way we can check if you kept to your list and are eligable for the hardcore microbadge.
2-2 You may add 3 alternate games that to this hardcore list so that if you get a game that you really don't like you don't have to play it to the end. Alternates have been limited to 3.
3 Play videogames!
4 As soon as you beat a game, tell us about it on VGG. Where you talk about it is up to you. This can be as a short review (we like that a lot) or just on the beaten videogames geeklist, but it could be in a play thread on the videogame page, ... but talk about the game, that's what VGG is for.
5 Adjust your geeklist item entry and make a list of which game you have beaten and how long you took to do it.
6 As soon as you have beaten 5 games and have at least 50 hours of combined gametime (you can play shorter games but need more entries then) you will receive the Complete challenge microbadge.
7 If you either hit at least 10 games beaten and got 100, 150 or 200 gamehours you will get another special microbadge for that.
8 When you enter the challenge or hit a goal, post about it in the thread. I don't monitor the list.

You can find the geeklist here: The 2018 Videogame Challenge!

Microbadges that can be earned: - new ones have been ordered

mb - earned by participating
mb - earned with 5 games beaten and 50 hours of gametime
mb - earned with 10 games beaten and 100 hours of gametime
mb - earned with 10 games beaten and 150 hours of gametime
mb - earned with 10 games beaten and 200 hours of gametime
mb - earned by beating the 10 games on your hardcore list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. I will build my hardcore list today when I get on my computer. It's actually not really hardcore, but a way for me to motivate me to try out some games I have got but never really played that genre, so playing through 10+ of them will actually be my goal for the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do I need to add my hardcore alternates now, or am I allowed to choose them later if I determine one of the games I choose is untenable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
So, do I need to add my hardcore alternates now, or am I allowed to choose them later if I determine one of the games I choose is untenable?

Looks like I add them now. Also, I misread and thought I had to spend at least 50 hours in EACH game. I think I'll update my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:

yep you need to list them from the start, copy/paste the list as a comment so it's locked and never adjust that comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never participated in the challenge. Do the "hardcore" games have to be games you have never played before in your life? Or can you choose something you have played in the past as long as you're starting over from the beginning? I have a few games I have never beaten that I would like to go back and play through completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
I've never participated in the challenge. Do the "hardcore" games have to be games you have never played before in your life? Or can you choose something you have played in the past as long as you're starting over from the beginning? I have a few games I have never beaten that I would like to go back and play through completely.
No, it's basically just a list of games you want to play: This year a few games I have played before was on my Hardcore list - even some that I already had beaten before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
It's just a list you determine before you start playing. You can even pick a game you've already made progress on and exclude hours played prior to that year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
You can even pick a game you've already made progress on and exclude hours played prior to that year.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
To let them count for the hardcore challenge you need to enter the challenge before playing the games.

I'm so confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to play EU4 but I'm not sure what "beating" it means. Finish an entire run over the time line of the game -- is that enough? Or would I need to pick a specific achievement and go for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
I'd like to play EU4 but I'm not sure what "beating" it means. Finish an entire run over the time line of the game -- is that enough? Or would I need to pick a specific achievement and go for that?

For games with no specific goal you are usually allowed to define your own...I think a specific achievement that approximates a single "completion" would be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
You can even pick a game you've already made progress on and exclude hours played prior to that year.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
To let them count for the hardcore challenge you need to enter the challenge before playing the games.

I'm so confused...

All Barad means is that progress for the HC starts when you post your list. If you beat a game in January and join in February for example, the game from January couldn't be on your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
I'm so confused...

Don't be. Any game can come on your hardcore list but the only rule is that the hardcore list is locked before you start playing them. You can even start in the middle of the year with a hardcore list but nothing that you played will count. So only hours played in 2018 after putting the game on your list will be counted.

You can have played a game in 2017 for 4 hours but still have 6 hours to go in 2018 to beat it. So you put it on the hardcore list and when you finish it you can only count those 6 hours instead of the full 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In again, as always.

Need to go back and see if my 2017 list is up to date and which badges I need to claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to being able to participate in 2018. I'm more apt to play when I have some sort of goal in mind, arbitrary as it may be, so I now have an excuse to actually tackle my backlog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going to pass on the hardcore challenge this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been super looking forward to the new year so I can start playing the games I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I've been super looking forward to the new year so I can start playing the games I'm interested in.
Me too. Want to wrap up some games I haven't played in a while that I put a lot of time into (might have to look at a couple playthroughs to get caught up), but I'm unsure if I want to keep Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on my hardcore list, start from the beginning of the series, or replace it with something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for some opinions on my entry.

Hardcore List:
: Disgaea 5 Complete // Est Comp: 60 hrs
: Moekuri // Est Comp: ? hrs
: Bioshock HD* // Est Comp: 14 hrs
: Dishonored // Est Comp: 12 hrs
: Divinity: Dragon Commander // Est Comp: 10 hrs
: Far Cry 3 // Est Comp: 15 hrs
: Grim Fandango Remastered* // Est Comp: 12 hrs
: Hyper Light Drifter* // Est Comp: 8 hrs
: King's Quest Complete // Est Comp: 20 hrs
: The Sexy Brutale // Est Comp: 6 hrs

Alternates:
: Pillars of Eternity // Est Comp: 34 hrs
: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale // Est Comp: 13 hrs
: Legrand Legacy // Est Comp: ? hrs

A quick rundown too on howlongtobeat shows my Hardcore list netting approximately 157 hours. This is taking into account the "median" rating which seems reasonable as I don't think I'll play "leisurely" and I won't be rushing through things either.

Looking at this even if I switch out my longest choice (Disgaea at estimated 60 hour completion) with the shortest of my alternates (Recettear at estimated 13 hours) then I'm still exceeding 100 hours. This is also keeping in mind that Moekuri and Legrand Legacy are both not showing listings on howlongtobeat (Moekuri is a super niche game and Legrand Legacy isn't released until late January).

Does anyone have any experience in completing any of my listed games? If so, what were your completion times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:
Looking for some opinions on my entry.

Hardcore List:
: Disgaea 5 Complete // Est Comp: 60 hrs
: Moekuri // Est Comp: ? hrs
: Bioshock HD* // Est Comp: 14 hrs
: Dishonored // Est Comp: 12 hrs
: Divinity: Dragon Commander // Est Comp: 10 hrs
: Far Cry 3 // Est Comp: 15 hrs
: Grim Fandango Remastered* // Est Comp: 12 hrs
: Hyper Light Drifter* // Est Comp: 8 hrs
: King's Quest Complete // Est Comp: 20 hrs
: The Sexy Brutale // Est Comp: 6 hrs

Alternates:
: Pillars of Eternity // Est Comp: 34 hrs
: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale // Est Comp: 13 hrs
: Legrand Legacy // Est Comp: ? hrs

A quick rundown too on howlongtobeat shows my Hardcore list netting approximately 157 hours. This is taking into account the "median" rating which seems reasonable as I don't think I'll play "leisurely" and I won't be rushing through things either.

Looking at this even if I switch out my longest choice (Disgaea at estimated 60 hour completion) with the shortest of my alternates (Recettear at estimated 13 hours) then I'm still exceeding 100 hours. This is also keeping in mind that Moekuri and Legrand Legacy are both not showing listings on howlongtobeat (Moekuri is a super niche game and Legrand Legacy isn't released until late January).

Does anyone have any experience in completing any of my listed games? If so, what were your completion times?

I can speak to BioShock, Far Cry, and King’s Quest. Far Cry took me closer to 20 hours, but I may have been a little slow in sections. The other two seem about right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably gonna do a shitload of Artifex Mundi games lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandra Cieśla
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so so much for these challenges !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took more like 27 hrs for Bioshock and Dishonored, but I like to explore everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
28 hours for me on Bioshock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added my entry onto the Geeklist... good luck and good gaming in 2018 everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.