Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
475 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: The 2018 Videogame Challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmb
Excluding PC-games would take out a lot of gaming away from me
My consoles count: Atari 2600, Philips Videopac G7000, SEGA Mega Drive, a Single Game Device - and that is about it... Should have kept my PSOne instead of giving it away it seems.

Now, counting my PCs (computers): Sinclair ZX81, BBC Micro B, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore 64, Atari 800XL, Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Commodore Amiga 500, Commodore Amiga 2000, Atari 1040 STE, Macintosh SE, Macintosh SEx (if following Apple's original name standard, but they diverted from it when adding the Motorola 68030 CPU in the SE), some Windows computers, and I believe I also still have a Linux box somewhere (and planing to make another one using one of my extra laptops.

A big amount of the video games (in Denmark vi mainly call digital games "computer games" (computerspil) not using the term "video games" (videospil) often; in the Era of Pong, videosspil was used because you was watching it on the TV like your Betamax, but as home computers took more pace into our homes, videospil became computerspil.
And here is the funny one: many cartridge games for the Commodore 64 could be played in their game console Commodore 64GS (Game System) - it had a short life span as it was limited to cartridges - and not all cartridges could be played as some required some kind of keyboard input - and despite having a full C64 motherboard, the casing (what makes the C64GS so special) have no keyboard, and no User Port (for the Datassette or Serial port (for diskette drive)) does not allow the use of the ports on the motherboard apart from joystick ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
No, not denying Linux and such, but usually the one most commonly used is as we all know, Windows, and different versions/devices of Windows.
Also many Tablets and such is actually running some kind/form of Windows, you didn´t even know was/is based on Windows.

As Stephanie said, most tablets run Android, which is based on a Linux kernel (specifically Ubuntu), or they are iOS devices, which definitely do not run Windows, so I'm not sure where you are getting your "facts" about the most commonly used... And for the record, I currently work at Microsoft, as a device tester, so yes, I know the stats for how many tablet devices that run Windows are used by consumers - Android and iOS far outnumbers them.

Rox4Games wrote:
Also PC games are yes, as you say, Video Games. But when you mainly saying, talking and thinking specifically about Video Games in general as in VIDEO Games, you are often not thinking mainly about PC games as such. Ppl in general is first and foremost thinking and referring to then about Games on Consoles. The very first thing that pops up in mind then is the Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS/3DS, Nintendo Wii/U, Playstation 3-4, Xbox, Dreamcast, Genesis, Megadrive etc, etc.
So, when thinking about Video games it is very natural to think VIDEO GAMES = GAMES ON CONSOLES.

As someone who works in the video game industry, your view is NOT the majority. In fact, I don't think it is something I've ever run into, despite being a console game tester myself.

Feel free to use whatever system you want to classify games, but please stop acting like it is a "common" thing to exclude PC from video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest there are a lot of people on VGG with strange ideas about what is or is not a video game. A fair number are convinced that video game adaptations of board games are not video games.

I think this user will fit right in here with their peculiar viewpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, usually when ppl are talking about and mentioning the word Video Games, the first thing that pops up in your head is of course and very likely Console Machines. Certainly not PC Games and Personal Computers and Desktops.
Or well... Darn. Blimey me. cool laughlaugh Perhaps there is.

Well, at least gonna list all my Video Games that is in my ownership. Have done 100+ so far and by far not done yet. Many more to go.
Wonder if Gold is possible to reach. Maybe with some luck Silver. Would certainly get Gold and even perhaps Platinum if PC Games were possible to register here on the site called... Wow, would you look at that... VideoGameGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In #6 you say have beaten 5 games and at least 50hrs gametime.

Of those on my list to do. 1 game is enough to go 50hr gametime and +.
Does that count for anything or what?

Those games on my list so far will easily rack up nearly 500 hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To (hopefully) clarify a few things. The list you make of 10 (+3) games you intend to play this year is only necessary if you are going to attempt to claim the "Hardcore" mb badge for beating 10 games from that list.

For any of the other badges you can just tell us about the games once you complete them. Those other badges require a certain number of completed games and a certain number of hours of play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
To be honest there are a lot of people on VGG with strange ideas about what is or is not a video game. A fair number are convinced that video game adaptations of board games are not video games.

Yeah, I'm the person that disagrees with that too - they are very much video games if presented in a digital form.

Then again, I'm also the person who thinks GM-less or solo RPGs are still pen-and-paper RPGs and that story games are most definitely board games...

I'm all for including as many games as possible in my definitions, not cutting games out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for a socalled HARDCORE you need to list out 10 games + 3 alternate ones, and then you got to stick to that list with those games in it and complete and play through at least 10 of them?
And that is what is called hardcore as in hardcore, you mean? Choose 13 games in total, play and complete at least 10 of them and you are done, as in done? And you have a badge that is considered as Hardcore?

Sorry, but not sure what is actually considered HARDCORE about that considered true HARDCORE. Someone truly needs to explain this to me.

To me, that is considered an easy task to do. Just choose 10+3 games, then you play 10 of them from start to finish, and then you are hardcore. Sorry, but to me. That is not hardcore anywhere near to be hardcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
So for a socalled HARDCORE you need to list out 10 games + 3 alternate ones, and then you got to stick to that list with those games in it and complete and play through at least 10 of them?
And that is what is called hardcore as in hardcore, you mean? Choose 13 games in total, play and complete at least 10 of them and you are done, as in done? And you have a badge that is considered as Hardcore?

Sorry, but not sure what is actually considered HARDCORE about that considered true HARDCORE. Someone truly needs to explain this to me.

To me, that is considered an easy task to do. Just choose 10+3 games, then you play 10 of them from start to finish, and then you are hardcore. Sorry, but to me. That is not hardcore anywhere near to be hardcore.

I think what Hardcore is about it is setting up what games to play ahead of time and finishing them regardless of your feelings on them. We've all had games that looked good at first but then something about them repulsed you (story, controls, etc.)

Some of us are just bad at committing to stuff like this. Not that I know anyone like that... whistleblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okee, if that is hardcore as in hardcore then can´t really agree that is agreeable but ok, if you say so that it is.
10 games? Ppffttt. Here I come. You call that HARDCORE? Ppfftt.

Hardcore? You really WANT HARDCORE?
10 Games. You are bound to stick to those 10 games, no matter what.
You are gonna play each and every one of those 10 games AT LEAST x hrs. Let´s just pick a number and let´s say 150 hrs. Could just as well be 200 hrs (even more) for that matter. Anything less is again a complete and utter failure.
Ok, so far we have 10 games, 150 hrs each and every game.

Ok, now. Each and every one of those games is having Achievements/Trophies, whatever. Now you are about to complete AT LEAST a minimum of 85% of those Achievements, in each and every game. Anything less then 85% is a complete and utter failure. But the true goal here is of course a 100% Achievement score as well as all the other things. That deserves some extra kudos of course.

Now that is what you can truly begin to call HARDCORE. And surely DEDICATION.

Okee, what was it again you said? 10 games you said. Just play them through, once, and done you said? That is just easy. Seriously? You call that Hardcore??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:

You're over-thinking this. It's just a name for a challenge that is supposed to be fun. Who cares how "hardcore" is defined?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Rox4Games wrote:
Okee, if that is hardcore as in hardcore then can´t really agree that is agreeable but ok, if you say so that it is.

You are gonna play each and every one of those 10 games AT LEAST x hrs. Let´s just pick a number and let´s say 150 hrs. Could just as well be 200 hrs (even more) for that matter. Anything less is again a complete and utter failure.

Ok, now. Each and every one of those games is having Achievements/Trophies, whatever. Now you are about to complete AT LEAST a minimum of 85% of those Achievements, in each and every game. Anything less then 85% is a complete and utter failure. But the true goal here is of course a 100% Achievement score as well as all the other things. That deserves some extra kudos of course.

Okee, what was it again you said? 10 games you said. Just play them through, once, and done you said? That is just easy. Seriously? You call that Hardcore??
You are totally invited to set up your own challenge and trying to complete it. Maybe others will join in for who the hardcore is not hardcore enough.

It's the same when I go to McDonalds. Sometimes they sell the "hot chili burger". For my wife, it's the limit of what she can stand in terms of hot food. For me, I think it's laughable they call it hot chili. "Mildly spiced", more like it. To each his own.

I'll be looking forward to following your advancement in completing 100% achievements for 10 games and sinking 1500 hours in them. It'll be a ride. Me? I'm sure I've never played videogames 1500 hours in any year. So I'll pass on your hardcore challenge, which is too hardcore for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
I wondered why I played so little hours last year, compared to the hardcore challenge of 10 games 150 hours each.

1500 hrs / 365 days is a little over 4 hours a day, each day, for the entire year. Miss one and play 8 hours the next.
Personally, I wouldn't do that, even if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
That is just easy. Seriously? You call that Hardcore??

So easy only 22 people could do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:

Hardcore means different things to different people. This way it is accessible to just about anyone. Some people just don't have time to play games every day or don't care about achievements. Heck, a lot of games don't even have achievements.

So, built your list to your own Hardcore standards, and let everyone else do the same. There's no need for judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Stephanie. It is not and no need for Judgement.
All the things were supposed to be suggestions for what hardcore really should be like. It were never meant to be taken dead seriously. Because anyone and everyone can just go ahead and play 10 games, complete them once and be done with it. And that´s it.
Hardcore is kinda meant to be exactly that. Hardcore. It is right there in the very word. The very word itself means exactly that. It should be HARDER, it should be TOUGHER, it is supposed to be STRIVED for, it should be WORKED for. It isn´t SUPPOSED to be easy to do. It is the whole meaning of the word actually.

But it isn´t supposed to be impossible to do either. By all means. It should be achieveable.

Anyway, having a few ideas on how to make it a bit tougher for meself though. It is, after all, supposed to be hardcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Rox4Games wrote:
No, Stephanie. It is not and no need for Judgement.
All the things were supposed to be suggestions for what hardcore really should be like. It were never meant to be taken dead seriously. Because anyone and everyone can just go ahead and play 10 games, complete them once and be done with it. And that´s it.
Hardcore is kinda meant to be exactly that. Hardcore. It is right there in the very word. The very word itself means exactly that. It should be HARDER, it should be TOUGHER, it is supposed to be STRIVED for, it should be WORKED for. It isn´t SUPPOSED to be easy to do. It is the whole meaning of the word actually.

But it isn´t supposed to be impossible to do either. By all means. It should be achieveable.

Anyway, having a few ideas on how to make it a bit tougher for meself though. It is, after all, supposed to be hardcore.
How do you determine if for me completing 5 games in a year is easy, or an impossible task? Or 10?

What really puts me off in your posts is that you swap "I" for "you" and then tell me it's what I should think. No thanks. It is your view. PC video games are video games. What is hardcore for you might be impossible for me. I can assure you that I would need to strive to complete 10 games in a year, with my lifestyle. And I doubt I could pull it off. It would probably go at the cost of having fun playing other games in my precious video gaming time.

I agree with flaeryn that your post strikes me as judgemental.
Let me rewrite your first post about the hardcore subject. When I did, it suddenly wasn't a post anymore that rubbed me the wrong way:
Rox4Games, corrected in italics by _Kael_, wrote:
Hardcore? Do I really WANT HARDCORE?
10 Games. I am bound to stick to those 10 games, no matter what.
I am gonna play each and every one of those 10 games AT LEAST x hrs. Let´s just pick a number and let´s say 150 hrs. Could just as well be 200 hrs (even more) for that matter. Anything less is again a complete and utter failure.
Ok, so far I have 10 games, 150 hrs each and every game.

Ok, now. Each and every one of those games is having Achievements/Trophies, whatever. Now I am about to complete AT LEAST a minimum of 85% of those Achievements, in each and every game. Anything less then 85% is a complete and utter failure. But the true goal here is of course a 100% Achievement score as well as all the other things. That deserves some extra kudos of course.

Now that is what I can truly begin to call HARDCORE. And surely DEDICATION.
Sir, now I salute you. And as said, I'll be watching your progress. And I'll definitely send some extra kudos for the 100% achievement thingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, then that is your own objection of that Kael, but it is not judgmental at all. It is far from it.
Those are mere suggestions of what could & should be hardcore.
If you Kael is having wife and maybe even children and perhaps even work on top of work which again means you do not have time for many of the things you do want to do, then respect for that. Some ppl even having need of 2 (in some cases, perhaps even 3) part-time jobs just to get the ends to meet.

But also do know of some ppl that do have full-time work, they have wife, some children even, maybe even a pet. But still also have time to put in some good hours for their beloved hobby for x hrs in the week. Be it Video gaming, Painting/Board/Tabletop gaming. Heck, they have time for attending quite a few Weekend Tournaments a year even.

So therefore also in my opinion, when one can play 10 games which takes you everything from 2-4, 5 hrs to play through and complete them. Can you also see my point of view? when saying: Ppfft, you call that hardcore?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
Those are mere suggestions of what could & should be hardcore.
Your insistence of what should be is what is putting people off-side. At a guess it looks like English might not be your first language (no judgement) so perhaps that distinction is not clear to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
So therefore also in my opinion, when one can play 10 games which takes you everything from 2-4, 5 hrs to play through and complete them. Can you also see my point of view? when saying: Ppfft, you call that hardcore?!

One last post to you. Last because, frankly, your attitude bothers me, so I won't reply to you again.

Last year I didn't complete my hardcore challenge, even though I entered it.

Why not? Should be easy right? Wrong.

So let's break it down, shall we?

I played roughly 437 hours of video games last year. That's a lot of hours! However, I only completed thirteen games (one of which I completed four times!)which means only 113 hours counted towards the 2017 challenge. The other 324 hours were from games I didn't consider completed. And of those thirteen completed games, only six were from my hardcore list.

So why didn't I complete four other games? I mean sure, I'm a very busy person and have a lot going on in my life all the time... but that wasn't why. Mostly it boiled down to the fact that I played the games I wanted to play, and some of the games I put on my hardcore list (which cannot be changed) were not games I felt like playing when it came time to play them. Some of the other games I played I enjoyed so much that I didn't want to force myself to switch to something else, I mean, I liked one enough to beat it several times. As for my favorites they mostly have no end condition. I will always play them, but they won't ever really count towards this challenge unless I make goals for them (which I did do for one this year - though I doubt I'll reach it).

My hardcore list was a challenge. But not for the reasons you seem to think should matter.

If you cannot handle that people are different and have different situations in life, and different ways of enjoying or playing games, then quite frankly, I have nothing more to say to you, because we will forever be talking past each other.

I shouldn't have to feel insulted by your attitude of what hardcore "really" is.

Edits: typos, ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I haven't seen yet discussed is how flexible the hard core challenge is.

The first year I entered it I was too ambitious with my selection of games. The second year I overcompensated and felt it was too easy to accomplish. Last year I was overall pretty pleased with what it required of me.

If you want the 10 games to be a greater challenge you can pick ten more difficult games to be on the list. Also note it is up to you to decide when to call a game complete. So maybe for someone who wants to have a greater challenge could consider a game complete when they have 100% achievement, or have all the items available in the game, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
I just beat Super Mario Odyssey and I've now reached the "five games, 50 hours" milestone for 2018. I'm already halfway through my hardcore challenge list for the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hirocon wrote:
I just beat Super Mario Odyssey and I've now reached the "five games, 50 hours" milestone for 2018. I'm already halfway through my hardcore challenge list for the year.
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Hirocon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wohoo, finally finished Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box that I had started for another challenge. Really had to push me through the last hours as the game felt a bit like a drag. But now my first game is finished.

Also managed to beat the final boss in FTL: Faster Than Light, first time ever. Although on easy mode. Too bad I set my goal to beat the boss with 3 different ships. Well, 2 more ships to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.