Subject: Free Games Meta Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the thread for meta discussion pertaining to the Free Games Subscription Thread.

This will be used for any and all discussion about the games available or what should be allowed in the thread in order to reduce the excitement of seeing the thread bumped only to find those hopes dashed against the rocks when there is no free game available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Free Games Subscription Thread: Meta Discussion Thread
I think we are fairly fortunate that the vast majority of game giveaways on the usual sites (Steam, Humble, GOG, Origin, et. al.) tend to be region agnostic. I think the free games thread is thus a potentially useful resource for pretty much anyone capable of accessing it.

I can certainly appreciate why the Twitch Prime stuff was originally posted to the free games thread. When they first started offering games it was somewhat out of the blue. I was actually a Twitch Prime subscriber at the time, and it's not like Amazon sent out a notice to everyone about the change. So sharing that info was useful, and the free games thread is a well trafficked thread that was a great place to post that news in. At some point though, that initial shift to offering games as part of the subscription becomes old news, and it instead becomes part of the value proposition that people make when deciding to opt into a paid subscription.

How products are sold can vary, and subscriptions that follow the old "book of the month club" or "album of the month club" of last century are just one of many models that differ from the single payment model one thinks of as the basic unit of a market economy. I propose that the whatever that model may be, the exchange of money for goods or services is the very antithesis of a free product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm even on the fence about free games where you have to jump through a lot of hoops.

Not enough to say anything or complain about them being on the thread. But they don't feel like a free game anymore, just a different sort of transaction than a monetary one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean but the amount of stuff people consider too much effort can vary wildly, and it would also be dependent on how much they wanted the game.

Some people would consider signing up to GOG too much effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all free games are trading some measure of attention in exchange for the free item. Some entity or another hopes that visiting a site for something free will get you to look around and maybe buy something now or in the future. It's really just a matter of how much attention they want in trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
I know what you mean but the amount of stuff people consider too much effort can vary wildly, and it would also be dependent on how much they wanted the game.

Yeah, that's why I say nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runs around the new thread screaming, "WHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I being a dinglehead not taking these Twitch/Amazon games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Am I being a dinglehead not taking these Twitch/Amazon games?
If you have Prime, you should get them. There have been some great games given away. I claimed the original freebees even though I had no intention of ever installing the Twitch game launcher, but now several games from my Steam wishlist have been given out, so I have no reason not to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much hassle on the Twitch end? Do I need to make an account and set up a password and all that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest hassle is setting things up, as not only you have to set up an account, but you have to link it with your Amazon account. Once you have that, you have to install their client, which is similar to Steam/GOG Galaxy/Origin. I personally haven't played any of my Twitch games, but do claim them.

Oh, and thanks for creating a discussion: it was becoming increasingly easier to miss stuff. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
My main issue will always and only be one thing. I detest people who never have given away anything and barely, if ever, show up to VGG to interact, who then are happy to take, take, take. To me, that's the height of lame, greedy behavior and shouldn't be tolerated in the giveaway page or anywhere, for that matter.

If you can't be bothered to show up here and socialize even a tiny bit, from time to time, but you're more than happy to come here for free stuff, something wrong with that picture.

That being said, each person can give away stuff how they wish to do so but it hurts the entire point of the site and the giveaway and the community, imho, when people allow that type of thing. shake

That doesn't have much to do with this thread or the free games subscription thread which are generally games that are free to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't about the give games away thread? I'm confused. Are there more than just Jonna's old thread hanging around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AHHH...I see...yeah, this must be an entirely different type of thread. I need to remember to post the deals I see over there, too, not just post a forum thread by itself. I've been forgetting to do that...d'oh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this the thread where we can now debate what goes in the other 2 threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moar threads!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Is this the thread where we can now debate what goes in the other 2 threads?

No. That is only appropriate in the meta-meta-discussion thread, and we don't have one of those yet. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Aarontu wrote:

I think this is the wrong thread for mentioning GoG Connect now, right? This stuff isn't "Free" so it belongs in the GAPFSITKOLGTFBNRSTAPF thread?
Is it? The first line in that thread says, "This thread is for giving people notifications for that come with paid subscription services are available."

That isn't the case for GOG Connect, since neither Steam or GOG are paid services.

Maybe it should be there, though, since the games are only free if you already own them.

?

Do we have to change the name of the subscription games thread already? I just finished spending the last few days memorising GAPFSITKOLGTFBNRSTAPF. I'm not made of neurons you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Aarontu wrote:
That isn't the case for GOG Connect, since neither Steam or GOG are paid services.

Maybe it should be there, though, since the games are only free if you already own them.

?

Do we have to change the name of the subscription games thread already? I just finished spending the last few days memorising GAPFSITKOLGTFBNRSTAPF. I'm not made of neurons you know.

Free for some, but not for all of you -> F4s,bn4aou ... also usable as a password, so you can set it as your password to memorize it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
How about, Appears Free, But Really Isn't? AFBRI. I assume that would be pronounced Affbry (rhymes with try not brie).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "Got Your Hopes Up, Didn't I?", or GYHUDI (guy-WHO-dee). Though I guess it does a better job of communicating my own cynicism with the industry that it actually informs the casual reader what the thread is intended for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GARF BOIP
Games that ARe Free But Only If you Pay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
F. P. S. G.

Free Paid Subscription Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm answering a post in the Free Games Subscription Thread here:

yaverot wrote:
sbszine wrote:
GOG Connect feels free to me. I don't have to pay anything extra, and games just magically appear in my GOG account when I press the button.

Name one free game obtained via GOG Connect. I merely takes games you already "own" and makes them accessible on a more open platform.

If you buy a CD in one store and then go to another store, show them the CD and get the MP3 album with online backup for free, then - ah, I already said it - it is free. And this works even if you received the CD as a gift many years ago.

This is slightly different in Amazon/Twitch Prime where you only get a free MP3 album if you have a currently running membership at (basically) the same store. Additionally in this case, unlike with the DRM-free items on GOG, you need the special MP3 player software that supports playing these restricted MP3s.

So I'd consider the GOG Connect offers more free than the Amazon/Twitch Prime offers. If this is enough to warrant posting them in the Free Games Subscription Thread? I don't know for sure, but if could vote for it, I'd probably vote "yes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
I'm answering a post in the Free Games Subscription Thread here:

yaverot wrote:
sbszine wrote:
GOG Connect feels free to me. I don't have to pay anything extra, and games just magically appear in my GOG account when I press the button.

Name one free game obtained via GOG Connect. I merely takes games you already "own" and makes them accessible on a more open platform.

If you buy a CD in one store and then go to another store, show them the CD and get the MP3 album with online backup for free, then - ah, I already said it - it is free. And this works even if you received the CD as a gift many years ago.

This is slightly different in Amazon/Twitch Prime where you only get a free MP3 album if you have a currently running membership at (basically) the same store. Additionally in this case, unlike with the DRM-free items on GOG, you need the special MP3 player software that supports playing these restricted MP3s.

So I'd consider the GOG Connect offers more free than the Amazon/Twitch Prime offers. If this is enough to warrant posting them in the Free Games Subscription Thread? I don't know for sure, but if could vote for it, I'd probably vote "yes".

I've voted by posting in the GAPFSITKOLGTFBNRSTAPF thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.