Subject: Free Games Meta Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Free Games Subscription Thread: Meta Discussion Thread
ThomasAH wrote:
I'm answering a post in the Free Games Subscription Thread here:

yaverot wrote:
sbszine wrote:
GOG Connect feels free to me. I don't have to pay anything extra, and games just magically appear in my GOG account when I press the button.

Name one free game obtained via GOG Connect. I merely takes games you already "own" and makes them accessible on a more open platform.

If you buy a CD in one store and then go to another store, show them the CD and get the MP3 album with online backup for free, then - ah, I already said it - it is free. And this works even if you received the CD as a gift many years ago.

If you walk into a store and hand them a CD and they hand you back that CD and smile, they haven't given you a CD, they've given you a smile. If you walk into a store with a bag of groceries, and transfer them into one one the store's brown paper bags, they've given you a brown paper bag, not a bunch of groceries.

If you go to a library that will only let you read or checkout books you can already prove you've read, they aren't giving books or stories or knowledge. They're giving accessibility and maybe some peace of mind.

Quote:
This is slightly different in Amazon/Twitch Prime where you only get a free MP3 album if you have a currently running membership at (basically) the same store.

True, but those subscription services are at least giving you something you didn't already have.

Quote:
So I'd consider the GOG Connect offers more free than the Amazon/Twitch Prime offers. If this is enough to warrant posting them in the Free Games Subscription Thread? I don't know for sure, but if could vote for it, I'd probably vote "yes".

If they were giving you a game it would qualify, but since they're basically giving an insurance policy it would go in the free insurance policy subscription thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
GOG Galaxy gives away free games so that should be in the Free Games Subscription Thread

GOG Connect also is not a paid service but a free service that GOG runs that allows for games you already own to be added freely to your GOG account.

I think these are fine to put on the Free Games thread as it does not use a paid service to get them "free". That and I do not use the paid services so would never see the addition of the GOG connect free games on that thread.

I still think we should have one thread and not split the community up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
games you already own

As an end user, this is the key difference to me. Did I pay money for the privilege to make use of an offer. Whether that be having bought a game on a particular platform or paid for a subscription. If I've I had to pay money to benefit from something, then it's not free to me, it's a bonus tied to a prior payment.

I really appreciate what CDP do in making the deals necessary to make GOG Connect happen. I think it's a great thing that I've taken advantage of many times. But it's not giving me free games, it's giving me a perk of greater access to games I've already bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one thing to note about GOG Connect is it allows people to play some games multiplayer, as you can have somebody on Steam playing with somebody from GOG, as it's essentially giving you a second copy of the game.

I honestly consider it a free game myself, even though I technically own it elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I think one thing to note about GOG Connect is it allows people to play some games multiplayer, as you can have somebody on Steam playing with somebody from GOG, as it's essentially giving you a second copy of the game.

I honestly consider it a free game myself, even though I technically own it elsewhere.

Oh this is a nice point. What are some games in that category?
And can you normally play multiplayer with steam and non-steam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

Oh this is a nice point. What are some games in that category?
And can you normally play multiplayer with steam and non-steam?

You can do this with Broforce for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:

If it is possible at all, what prevents someone from just using a GOG copy to play with Steam, without using GOG Connect to link their accounts? (Remember, we're talking about the frees you from evil DRM - GOG Connect, not the we now want to emulate evil - GOG Galaxy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

If it is possible at all, what prevents someone from just using a GOG copy to play with Steam, without using GOG Connect to link their accounts? (Remember, we're talking about the frees you from evil DRM - GOG Connect, not the we now want to emulate evil - GOG Galaxy.)

Linking your accounts allows you to get free games on GoG that you already own on steam. This is irrelevant to the ability to play DRM-free games with people who own Steam copies. Many games allow both Steam and non-Steam players to connect to a shared server.

Screencheat is another such game that allows this mixing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small favour to ask: Can we change the title to Free Games Meta Discussion Thread, or something like that? Or maybe remove "subscription". I keep mixing it with the main thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look like this is working at all.

And I feel like an asshole constantly linking to this page on the regular thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

And I feel like an asshole constantly linking to this page on the regular thread.
I think it's a good idea, Tim, but it's hard to change a culture and get people to buy-in overnight.

And I recognize I'm part of the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Sorry! I would keep linking it. It is tough to know what thread you are in when replying. Though in this case we were at least mostly on topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

It doesn't have to be perfect to serve a function. Some people will post their discussions here, which keeps the extra notification in the main thread down to an extent. But some discussion about the free games on offer is to be expected. Purely announcements only is a bit optimistic. When things start to go too far off the rails (which I think the ziggurat example is apt) then pointing here is a good idea. While this multi-thread structure is new though, it can't hurt to send a few more frequent nudges just to gently encourage more structured usage of the threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need anyone to apologize. I have been a part of discussions on that thread myself.

I agree this thread is never going to eliminate all discussion. If some discussion can be moved here it would be helpful.

I feel like linking too often and I'm creating as much false positive notification feedback as anyone talking about the games.

I think what I will do is link here once per page on the main thread at most and when at least a couple people start having a conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Moar threads!

Fun fact: all the yellow threads are about kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just cancelled my amazon prime and unlinked my twitch and amazon accounts. Does anyone know of a cool down period between connecting a different Prime account to twitch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
I just cancelled my amazon prime and unlinked my twitch and amazon accounts. Does anyone know of a cool down period between connecting a different Prime account to twitch?

No, but I can ask at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

No, but I can ask at work.
I just linked it to my new family prime account. Seems like there is no delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

How is GOG Galaxy evil? It isn't DRM in any way. It's just a program that manages your GOG game downloads and installations for you, with a UI that people who are used to Steam who don't want to manually download and install games would be comfortable with.

GOG Galaxy services may be used for some multiplayer functions in games, but that isn't DRM; most of those games were designed to connect to servers originally owned by the publisher or GameSpy, and GOG Galaxy provides a more modern way to use multiplayer in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for GOG Connect, they are definitely free games. The difference between owning a GOG game and a Steam game becomes clearer when you have multiple gamers living in the same house (me and my kids). I have multiple PCs, but only one person can play online on a Steam account at a time. If I buy a game on GOG, everybody can play it at once. GOG Connect basically gives me multiple DRM-free copies of a DRM-controlled Steam game I already own for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the fact that you already have to own a game to get a free game doesn't disqualify it from being a free game, in my opinion. If Valve was giving Portal 2 to all owners of the original Portal for free, I would still consider that a free game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm confused how the awesome GOG Galaxy is bad or evil?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

It sometimes is the only way to allow multi-player, have achievements, get in-game awards for certain actions (e.g. credits for delivering scan data in No Man's Sky), and updates are available slightly earlier.
Due to this people not using it (i.e. currently everyone not using Windows) become a second-class citizen.

Additionally it makes it easier to just install a game (like with Steam) and not keeping the installer around, which on one hand saves disk space, but on the other makes people more dependent on the continued availability of the GOG servers.

But as it provides many features that otherwise people would get only on Steam, I personally consider the positive effects higher than the possibly negative effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
wytefang wrote:

It sometimes is the only way to allow multi-player, have achievements, get in-game awards for certain actions (e.g. credits for delivering scan data in No Man's Sky), and updates are available slightly earlier.
Due to this people not using it (i.e. currently everyone not using Windows) become a second-class citizen.

Additionally it makes it easier to just install a game (like with Steam) and not keeping the installer around, which on one hand saves disk space, but on the other makes people more dependent on the continued availability of the GOG servers.

But as it provides many features that otherwise people would get only on Steam, I personally consider the positive effects higher than the possibly negative effects.
You just listed a bunch of features that GOG Galaxy provides. I'm still not sure how that makes it evil.

Mutli-player, achievements, and even scanning discoveries in No Man's Sky are all things that require the game to be connected to an online server, and before GOG Galaxy was created, many GOG games did not have any online functionality.

Also, GOG Galaxy is available on MacOS, not just Windows (unless you are implying that the Mac version is currently broken or something?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
You just listed a bunch of features that GOG Galaxy provides. I'm still not sure how that makes it evil.

Mutli-player, achievements, and even scanning discoveries in No Man's Sky are all things that require the game to be connected to an online server, and before GOG Galaxy was created, many GOG games did not have any online functionality.

If features are implemented with a central server in mind, developers may skip implementing an alternative way to implement them:
- multi-player works with running a dedicated server, too, just in a different way (with friends or coordinated in chat/forums)
- achievements and scanning trophies can be done locally and only optionally synchronized to a central server.

I don't say that GOG Galaxy is evil. It somehow is a vendor lock-in for parts of the game, but less than with Steam, or even servers run by the developer/publisher.
And if the choice is to have above features in Galaxy or not at all, I'd prefer Galaxy.
It would be nice to have an alternative to Galaxy, e.g. to be able to run your own Galaxy instance, but currently Galaxy already is the alternative (to Steam), so it is an improvement.

Aarontu wrote:
Also, GOG Galaxy is available on MacOS, not just Windows (unless you are implying that the Mac version is currently broken or something?).

Sorry, I just did not know that. PC gaming for me is just Windows and Linux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.