Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[quote taken from the free game thread]
Lhowser wrote:
Sykurmoli wrote:
Not a free game announcement per se, but a news of interest nevertheless because "On the house" games have featured prominently in this thread in the past.

EA will not offer "on the house" freebies any more. Of course, all games previously obtained will stay in your Origin library. But if you've already played all of those that interest you and were only keeping the Origin client installed in hope of future titles, you might as well uninstall it.

Wait a minute... are you suggesting that a game company giving away all its games for free might not make the best economical sense!?! Who knew?!

I've spent money on the Origin site that I doubt I would have had I not had prior motivation to install the client in order to play free games.

I don't begrudge them ending the On the House program, but that (and the ability to add licenses across from Steam) is how I justified initial use of the service. I can't say whether it was a net gain or loss when measured across all users, but I think it's perhaps a bit bold to suggest that it makes no sense from a business standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
EA's business standpoint seems to be solely focused on making them money, and screwing over their developers (by paying them less) and the users (by having them pay for lesser quality version of games), so taken from that standpoint, it probably doesn't make sense to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
presumably because of the new subscription plan? Or was that a different company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
EA's business standpoint seems to be solely focused on making them money, and screwing over their developers (by paying them less) and the users (by having them pay more for lesser quality version of games), so taken from that standpoint, it probably doesn't make sense to them.

ftfy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, like many people, I initially installed Origin just for the free games, and then ended up subscribing to their premium service for a few months since I was already familiar with Origin.

So I can see how it was useful as a marketing technique to introduce the service to people -- especially at a time when Steam was pretty much monopolizing the market a few years ago.

Now people are aware of Origin, that initial objective is complete, and they no longer feel they have to give away free games to make people realize the platform exists. Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

I enjoy all the online services. Have no issues with any of them. The best two are easily Uplay and STEAM but the others serve their purpose well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Sjeng wrote:
Thanks, added! OMG you have the pillar!!! RAAAAHHHGHGHGHHHARGLL!
What pillar?

This one...
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Vote for the game you want to receive for free from GoG on 4 Oct, their 10th anniversary

https://www.gog.com/10years

Choice of Superhot, Firewatch, or Shadow Warrior 2

Only the winning game will be given away.

Interesting! I voted for Shadow Warrior 2. I've wanted that game for a while, and I feel like it's the only one which hasn't been cheap ever. The other 2 have either been free somewhere, or relatively cheap.

Also voted for Shadow Warrior 2

I voted for Firewatch because it was the one that wasn't an FPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Shadow Warrior 2.
I have the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I voted for Firewatch because I don't want Shadow Warrior 2, even if it is a higher-rated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Shadow Warrior 2 but kind of wished I'd voted Firewatch now. Everyone already has SuperHot by now and it's very much a one-trick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy with either Shadow Warrior 2 or Firewatch so I flipped a coin and it came up Shadow Warrior 2 for the vote. Ended up doing best out of 3. Tough decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I voted for Shadow Warrior 2 but kind of wished I'd voted Firewatch now. Everyone already has SuperHot by now and it's very much a one-trick game.

I think you can change your vote. Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP HABA
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the winner is Shadow Warrior 2 (now free on GOG for 48 hrs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
So on the Epic account, where does one go to view their library?

Under account there is:

Personal Info
Payments
Payment History
Password & Security
Connected accounts
Marketplace Seller
Redeem Code

Nothing about my library or collection or games or whatever term they choose to use about the games I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
They show up in the launcher under "Games". "Payment History" seems to be the only place to see them on the web site, and good luck sorting the list by anything useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first encounter with epicgames.com is a bit unsettling.

Display names ... is ThomasAH and Thomas_A_H really already taken? Or are bots creating masses of accounts under names they saw on Steam, VGG, or wherever?

When claiming the free Subnautica the only thing that is hidden until scrolling down is:
Quote:
[ ] The game you are purchasing is licensed by Unknown Worlds Entertainment. Click here to not receive emails from them with the latest information about similar products and services.

(of course the box is not checked by default)
Hidden + subscribe to a newsletter by default + checkmark means "no"? This is so very wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Display names ... is ThomasAH and Thomas_A_H really already taken? Or are bots creating masses of accounts under names they saw on Steam, VGG, or wherever?

There are over 200 million Epic accounts because of Fortnite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:

There are over 200 million Epic accounts because of Fortnite

Ah, thank you, that explains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Steam changed some of their mechanics.

Time was when a game was free if you punched in the title it would show "Free" in the price window.

Now the price remains whatever MSRP is and only if you go into the actual game page can you see that the game is available for free.

I had thought I missed Sins of the Solar Empire Rebellion, but turns out Steam just tweaked it's marketplace to make free games harder to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would they make a game free AND harder to find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is unlikely to be a Steam-wide issue, but data entry error somewhere. Geneshift that Lee posted in the thread operates as expected, showing up as free in the search box/results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Why would they make a game free AND harder to find?
A 30% cut of 'free' is nothing for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
But AFAIK it is Steam which decides that a game is going to be free. They must have a reason for that. So why make something free and also hide it away? That does not make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.