Subject: Free Games Meta Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a software developer I can say that it is likely indeed a data entry error or a bug. Bugs are introduced very easily and not easily found. Or they are aware of the bug and it's not a high priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't explain super well I think.

Game wasn't hidden. The price point of free used to be more obvious. I'll nab a screenshot.

Here you can see the price of Sins of Solar Empire Rebellion price is listes as $39.99. Free games used to have a banner where the price point was that said Free.

Now is only if you actually enter the game page that you can see it is available without cost.

The fact you can still pay for it is new too.

I think the difference is that instead of making the price point free, they are putting a new overlay to make it temporarily available as free. But I'm not a programmer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sins was free not because of Steam but because of Stardock - so that might have something to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Warner Bros. Pulls LEGO Lord of the Rings Games From Steam, Doesn't Say Why

kotaku article

If you got these games free from HB last month, get the keys redeemed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as not to go off-topic in the Free Games thread, I post this here for any comments or discussion:

Osirus wrote:
Meanwhilst, A Story About My Uncle is free at the Humble Store for the next 40 hours or until keys run out.
I like Humble Bundle. But they need to proof read their web page. First it says this:
Humble Bundle wrote:
For a limited time, get a free copy of A Story About My Uncle when you subscribe to the Humble Bundle newsletter.

But then it says this:
Humble Bundle wrote:
What's this?
It's a free game from your friends at Humble Bundle!

But there has to be a catch, right?
No catch! The game is yours to keep and play forever. Just be sure to redeem your free game before the expiration time.

and this:
Humble Bundle wrote:
Completely free, no strings attached, download to your heart’s content!

and to the contrary, finally this:
Humble Bundle wrote:
Limit one per customer. Requires subscription to our newsletter.

So, which is it? Completely free, no strings attached? Or, string-attached-you-have-to-subscribe-to-the-newsletter? Make up your mind, HB!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had quite so many captcha windows to complete before I was allowed to download A Story About My Uncle. I had to check I didn't have a VPN switched on maybe linking me to some spammy IP address. I'm curious if anybody else experienced a similar thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
I've never had quite so many captcha windows to complete before I was allowed to download A Story About My Uncle. I had to check I didn't have a VPN switched on maybe linking me to some spammy IP address. I'm curious if anybody else experienced a similar thing.
I had the same experience.. it was infuriating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one click and no captcha.

But apparently Im already subscribed to their newsletter on my email address I have for such things.

Oh I didn't try to download anything though. It's not a Steam key?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I had one click and no captcha.

But apparently Im already subscribed to their newsletter on my email address I have for such things.
As Am I.

frumpish wrote:
Oh I didn't try to download anything though. It's not a Steam key?
There is a steam key if you persist.. it's counter-intuitive, but you have to click the button that says "download"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting about the Games already paid for but still kind of free thread, Luke. I couldn't find the thread and I figured somebody would link to it if I posted in the Free games subscription thread. I have it bookmarked/subscribed now, so I'll be able to find it easily next time.

paralipsis wrote:

The worst I've seen are the ones that say something like "find all the street lights". I'm not sure if the posts also counts as part of the street light, or if the 2 pixels of the street light that bleed over into the next image also counts as a street light or not. I've had captchas go for maybe 30 or 45 seconds of clicking. I started to think it was giving me an IQ test, not a touring test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clicking on streetlights sounds like a touring test. (I guess you mean Turing test).

Nowadays CAPTCHAs are often used to do research in social science, or gathering crowdsourced information. You might be hitting upon those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Clicking on streetlights sounds like a touring test. (I guess you mean Turing test).

I dunno. If I see street lights going by, then I use that to indicate that I'm touring.

(I'm guessing this is just that Ryan wrote this on a phone that itself was not the brightest bit of AI code)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, no auto correct here, I don't think I've ever typed Turing test before, so I didn't realize I spelled it wrong. themoreyouknow.gif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not yet free, but Axiom Verge will be free on Epic Games from 7 to 21 Feb
http://www.axiomverge.com/
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/axiom-verge/ho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a game I want. Now they have my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not something I'd care about but they're smart to offer free games at the moment, as otherwise, their "service" isn't appealing at all, for any real reason.

I'd much rather buy from STEAM or uPlay or Origin or Battle.net or GOG.com or Fanatical or.....

LOL

Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Not something I'd care about but they're smart to offer free games at the moment, as otherwise, their "service" isn't appealing at all, for any real reason.

I'd much rather buy from STEAM or uPlay or Origin or Battle.net or GOG.com or Fanatical or.....

LOL

Sigh.

For Journey it'll be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
wytefang wrote:

LOL

Sigh.

For Journey it'll be worth it.

I expect I'll play Metro Exodus some time as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

LOL

Sigh.
that is how I felt about Twitch. Now I own several games on Twitch that had once been on my Steam wishlist and I have played several of them through the twitch launcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
wytefang wrote:

LOL

Sigh.
that is how I felt about Twitch. Now I own several games on Twitch that had once been on my Steam wishlist and I have played several of them through the twitch launcher.

I'll admit, the non-Steam stuff I've mostly claimed and mentally filed under "Later, in case something happens with Steam".

Origin is the one case so far where the steady drip of free games definitely ended up converting me. I played my free games, and then ended up buying their monthly subscription for the first half of last year, to play through all the Mass Effects and Torment: Tides of Numenera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
wytefang wrote:

LOL

Sigh.
'

I have Amazon Prime so I should probably look into Switch. But I haven't gotten up the effort to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
wytefang wrote:

LOL

Sigh.
'

I have Amazon Prime so I should probably look into Switch. But I haven't gotten up the effort to do so.

You don't even need the game launcher to claim the free games, so there's no reason not to do it.

I just keep this tab open at all times on my Chrome browser.

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

I check it monthly, and sometimes in between, and claim the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to connect my upstairs pc with my Prime account.

If they gave away DQXI I'd do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I'd have to connect my upstairs pc with my Prime account.

If they gave away DQXI I'd do it.

If they gave away DQXI I'd do a dance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
If they gave away DQXI I'd do a dance.

So, you'll dance for a $60 game. For how long? What style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.