Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
136 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Free Games Meta Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I'd have to connect my upstairs pc with my Prime account.

If they gave away DQXI I'd do it.

You can do it on any PC with your prime account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Osirus wrote:
If they gave away DQXI I'd do a dance.

So, you'll dance for a $60 game. For how long? What style?

If you'd ever seen me dance, you'd know I lack all style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
Osirus wrote:

I guess that means we'll have to trade quality for quantity. How's your dancing endurance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Osirus wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
Osirus wrote:

I guess that means we'll have to trade quality for quantity. How's your dancing endurance?

I got tired before the end of this conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Thanks for posting about the Games already paid for but still kind of free thread, Luke. I couldn't find the thread and I figured somebody would link to it if I posted in the Free games subscription thread. I have it bookmarked/subscribed now, so I'll be able to find it easily next time.

paralipsis wrote:
I've never had quite so many captcha windows to complete before I was allowed to download A Story About My Uncle. I had to check I didn't have a VPN switched on maybe linking me to some spammy IP address. I'm curious if anybody else experienced a similar thing.

The worst I've seen are the ones that say something like "find all the street lights". I'm not sure if the posts also counts as part of the street light, or if the 2 pixels of the street light that bleed over into the next image also counts as a street light or not. I've had captchas go for maybe 30 or 45 seconds of clicking. I started to think it was giving me an IQ test, not a touring test.
If BGG ever uses Captcha phrases... "find all of the minis", or "find all of the kickstarted games"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
An opinion on Epic Games Store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post thanks for sharing. I 100% agree with that post. RPS even mentioned that the biggest issue is simply that they're not taking advantage of this opportunity to present a better product. Their contention is that Valve isn't motivated to improve due to not facing any good competition. From what I've seen of the laughably crappy EPIC store, that's not about to change any time soon.

Sadly Metro Exodus just cost themselves quite a few sales (something that the RPS writer also feels is the case, so I know I'm not alone in thinking that).

How dumb. Next time, devs for Metro Exodus, don't wait until the last-minute to announce some stupid move like this. SMH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem. I'll wait a year then play the cheaper redux edition they bring out on Steam with enhanced graphics and all the bugs fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I liked that PC games were all for everyone, unlike the console wars filled with exclusives; really not looking forward to everyone having their own proprietary fiefdom -- although at least presumably the company platforms will be free, unlike consoles.

And Epic Games Store may be terrible, but I'll still gladly take a free Axiom Verge -- even if I don't end up playing it until I'm through most of my high-end Steam backlog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, apart from the issue of exclusives most criticisms of the Epic Games Store client really just come down to it being new. If you look at the earliest versions of Steam, Uplay, Origin, etc., they all start off pretty bare-boned and add features incrementally.

I do have my misgivings about exclusives as a consumer. But honestly, when it comes to systemic problems in the video game industry, exclusives tend to rank fairly low on my list of grievances these days. They limit access, sure. But I'll never have too few games to play, even if I limited myself to a single game platform and played only new releases. And the other side of it, developers are handed big piles of cash to secure these deals. There are no guarantees that this necessarily directly benefits the people actually making the games, but it has a chance of doing so, and I'm all for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and it's certainly good for there to be other options aside from Steam. I realize that even if I'm happy to do everything on Steam now, it's conceivable something happens to Steam, and at that point it'll be real handy to have at least some games somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unlike consoles, a PC is a PC. It's not like the launchers cost anything other than a few spare bytes on my drive. Launcher exclusive titles is fine until it starts become a subscription, then it will suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Unlike consoles, a PC is a PC. It's not like the launchers cost anything other than a few spare bytes on my drive. Launcher exclusive titles is fine until it starts become a subscription, then it will suck.

I disagree. It costs me time. It costs me effort having to keep up with where my games are and what my passwords are for multiple sites. And it costs me security having more accounts that make me more vulnerable, having more companies with access to my email address. It makes me more vulnerable to data breaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

I disagree. It costs me time. It costs me effort having to keep up with where my games are and what my passwords are for multiple sites. And it costs me security having more accounts that make me more vulnerable, having more companies with access to my email address. It makes me more vulnerable to data breaches.

It's a double edged sword, I'm afraid. Sure it would be great if you could find and play all of your games from a single place, but that would also get that sole provider complete control over your gaming. I feel like it's about time Steam got a little bit of a shake-up, it was becoming too comfortable.

Maybe if Epic takes enough Steam users away, Steam will finally make Half-Life 3 to bring people back, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
And it costs me security having more accounts that make me more vulnerable, having more companies with access to my email address. It makes me more vulnerable to data breaches.

That's debatable. Having monolithic service providers may offer fewer points of vulnerability, but it also makes for more attractive targets.

It also removes choice. If there comes a point in time where Steam is hacked, and one can point to negligence by Valve as the cause, what options does it leave you short of quitting PC gaming completely? How many people sold their PlayStations because of Sony's data breaches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
If there comes a point in time where Steam is hacked, and one can point to negligence by Valve as the cause, what options does it leave you short of quitting PC gaming completely?

Continue to play all my games the way I do now, DRM free; it doesn't even matter if GOG goes down tomorrow and never returns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
If there comes a point in time where Steam is hacked, and one can point to negligence by Valve as the cause, what options does it leave you short of quitting PC gaming completely?

Continue to play all my games the way I do now, DRM free; it doesn't even matter if GOG goes down tomorrow and never returns.

I'm not sure I'm quite as comfortable with that scenario. I do not know what my plan B source of DRM-free gaming is. I think itch.io is pretty cool, but I don't think their catalogue is especially well-rounded. Personally, if GOG went away tomorrow, I feel like I'd be at a bit of a loss for alternatives, and I'm not super happy with that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
It also removes choice. If there comes a point in time where Steam is hacked, and one can point to negligence by Valve as the cause, what options does it leave you short of quitting PC gaming completely? How many people sold their PlayStations because of Sony's data breaches?

I really don't understand the argument that Epic is my second choice after Steam. I also have games on GOG, Uplay, Amazon and Origin (and maybe more because who can keep track?).

Maybe Epic is bringing something unique to the table that I'm oblivious to. But to me it's a crowded field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

I really don't understand the argument that Epic is my second choice after Steam. I also have games on GOG, Uplay, Amazon and Origin (and maybe more because who can keep track?).

Maybe Epic is bringing something unique to the table that I'm oblivious to. But to me it's a crowded field.

I wasn't arguing against your personal practices, I was arguing against the position that you seemed to express that diversity in the market is all bad. Obviously as it stands today there are a growing number of alternatives to Steam. My position is that this offers benefits that can potentially (user preference dependent of course) outweigh the inconveniences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't saying that diversity in the market is bad. I was arguing it's not all positives, that there are drawbacks. And that moreover we already have diversity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about moving away from Steam to GOG for a long time now. Unfortunately, my Steam inventory / backlog is just too big for it, for now. So for the time being, I'm a customer for both. I have so little desire to add another store front to my computer that I actively avoid buying even games I very much want to play when they're not on one of those two platforms. Bethesda only just snuck in because Amy bought me a copy of Fallout 76.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
I'm not sure I'm quite as comfortable with that scenario.

Fair enough, I don't need to ever buy another game. Every game I purchased there more than 12 months ago is backed up to my files server. I still have original media for some pre-turn-of-the-century games that are gold rated under wine, extracted to ScummMV, or run under DosBox; and that doesn't count my pre-net-required consoles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Apparently Discord has their own PC app now and store. You can claim King of the Hat for free at https://discordapp.com/store/skus/486981988109254667/king-of...

FWIW, the Discord app is nothing new. It's been around for years. The store is relatively new, though it's pushing six months old now. They haven't had quite the splash that the Epic game store has had. Turns out that raking in billions from Fornite gave Epic are far bigger war chest to grab people's attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Black Desert Online

This link is a 30 day pass. Kill five players before March 27 and get to keep it.

2008 keys left as of time of this posting.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1991505/boards/contes...

So, is that a hard thing to achieve? Perhaps we can gang up with some VGG people and just kill eachother online and help eachother keep the game?
I hope it doesn't take up too much HDD space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.