Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Black Desert Online

This link is a 30 day pass. Kill five players before March 27 and get to keep it.

2008 keys left as of time of this posting.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1991505/boards/contes...

So, is that a hard thing to achieve? Perhaps we can gang up with some VGG people and just kill eachother online and help eachother keep the game?
I hope it doesn't take up too much HDD space...

It tells me they still have 3339 keys left....

Seems to be around 32GB...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I saw free games directly on steam (not via HumbleBundle or anything). Doesn't anyone follow those anymore or hasn't been there any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it that good that it's worth the hassle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

If you mean Black Desert Online, I know some people who play it; I'm led to believe it's fairly standard MMO fare and probably wouldn't appeal to you.

There's a reasonably in-depth review on MMO Grinder for those interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

I think it's not. I've tried it tonight and it's not that easy to get together and kill each other to let you keep this game.

It's also not a great MMO either to my opinion. Sure the battle royale is great, but the gameplay is bad. It's hard to notice what's going on sometimes and the framerate just can't keep up with what's happening. Add lag and you sometimes have no idea what's happening.
Also the battle royale mode just puts you with random other players in 1 map. You don't even fight ppl of your own skill lvl, so you lack the experience.

I also think the normal mode (open world questing) is idiotic. I was lvl 7 before I noticed I was receiving XP. You get bonus XP if you log in on a certain server and you get more bonus xp for daily logins. I got xp at a rate of 300%! I was getting new skills whle I was still figuring out how to run and complete quests.
It's all about quick, quick, quick and I just want to take my time. I don't even have the time to analyse new earned skills in the battle royale mode. I just need to use them and find out what it's doing.

Needles to say I deleted the game.

[EDIT] the thing that surprised me most is that you can hit 'T' and you'll walk to your objective on your own. The game is just hitting R, T, LMB, T, R. I think you can get to lvl 40 without doing anything else... easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
For Tacoma free right now on HB.

How does this work? Can I now download it anytime? Or I have to download it within this window?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to "claim it" and sometimes even download to permanently have it. Though if they give you a steam key, just add it to your account and you'll be fine. Very good game, too.

Also, Oxenfree is, well, free, for the next few days, too, on the Epic Store. Supposed to be pretty good game, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

How does this work? Can I now download it anytime? Or I have to download it within this window?

EDIT: I presumed the latter, but Andy has convinced me I may be wrong. With Steam keys you just have to activate the key in the time and can download later, but with free downloads from HB (or from IndieGala, of which there have been a few), you have to grab it right then.

To be honest, usually that's enough of a dissuasion for me that I haven't grabbed any of the free indiegala download stuff, but Tacoma had been on my "ought to try it someday" list, so I downloaded it.

(The free Epic Store games like Oxenfree, meanwhilst, work like Steam keys for the Epic store, so you should totally go activate those on your Epic account since you don't have to dl the game presently.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
To be honest, usually that's enough of a dissuasion for me that I haven't grabbed any of the free indiegala download stuff

Same here. Not gonna clutter up my HDD just in case I may play it someday. I'll have forgotten I own it by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
Osirus wrote:
To be honest, usually that's enough of a dissuasion for me that I haven't grabbed any of the free indiegala download stuff

Same here. Not gonna clutter up my HDD just in case I may play it someday. I'll have forgotten I own it by then.

While I could end up being wrong, (present me doesn't have a good record on predicting the person future me will become), I don't think I'll ever be truly comfortable using streaming services to play video games. I tend to be fairly adaptable to new technologies for my age I think, but I think that may end up being one thing I can not easily adapt to.

All that said, the idea that I have to personally file host random games that have a limited time window to download and I have to index and sort on my own system just in case I may one day want to play it seems totally absurd to me. I may choose to keep backups of my favourite games for a sense of security. In fact I try to get most games on GOG for this very reason. But my GOG games aren't time-limited downloads, and it's my choice to keep a local backup of those games most important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

For Tacoma.. It gets added to your Humble library, as if you purchased it, and there is a link from there to download it. There is nothing to say that this link will go away if you don't download the game within a certain window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I created a Bethesda account and now can't login on the claim page to get the free game. Anyone else having the same issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked for me after logging into Bethesda. I don't think I have to install the launcher unless I want to play. It is just in my account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bethesda allows me to log-in now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there's a way to have the FREE GAMES thread be a geeklist, where each new geeklist item could be a free game, and any comments could be made under neath that. I don't know if it's possible to just subscribe to new items and not new comments though.

To answer
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
's question from the other thread, I think there's kind of an excitement and urgency around subscriptions to the FREE GAMES thread. A lot of these free games need to be snagged within 24 or 48 hours, and redeemed pretty quickly. Seeing a notification in that thread causes me to jump in there immediately, and if it's just a comment about a free game, it's a bit disappointing.

This is just my personal opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I wonder if there's a way to have the FREE GAMES thread be a geeklist, where each new geeklist item could be a free game, and any comments could be made under neath that. I don't know if it's possible to just subscribe to new items and not new comments though.

It would be possible, you'd subsribe to the geeklist with "items only", then when an item you're more interested in comes up, you hit subscribe on that. The problem is the comments section at the bottom of the page, as it isn't subscribable seperately. To get those you get evey comment everywhere on the list. And having to red-x new users who don't understand how the Geek works is not welcoming.

Bigger problem I thought of while type this up: geeklist subcribtions don't allow you to go to the item if one changed, it still goes to the oldest triggering event, so if someone posts a thesis as a comment on page 2 (and then you need to re-check all of page 2 because BGG thinks the page is read) it can't prioritize new name page 20.

So possible, but less workable than the 2 thread approach.

Quote:
To answer
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
's question from the other thread, I think there's kind of an excitement and urgency around subscriptions to the FREE GAMES thread. A lot of these free games need to be snagged within 24 or 48 hours, and redeemed pretty quickly. Seeing a notification in that thread causes me to jump in there immediately, and if it's just a comment about a free game, it's a bit disappointing.

Just keep red-Xing, now that BGG's policy is to delete tangent posts (as violation of community rules) and everyone who quotes them. I had to go back 3 pages to find and quote the "stay on topic" which is good, but shouldn't be nessessary more than once a page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sykurmoli wrote:
Sjeng wrote:
yaverot wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Reminder to try and keep meta discussions here so as to reduce false positive bumps.

Free Games Meta Discussion Thread

At the risk of derailing the thread even further, is this the consensus? I can think of several places on the internet that are perfectly suited for strict announcements of free games (specific subreddits, for example), but only one when I can be notified about them and engage in discussion in a fun atmosphere (here).

I mean, if your time is limited and you only want very factual information about games, it'd be surprising you'd hang around VGG much.

I really mean no offence and I realize I may be in the minority, but I enjoy slightly messier subscription threads and I wonder if others are in the same boat.

It's not a concensus, it's a friendly request made several times. I understand why, so I hope we can all respect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just switch to a geeklist and all problems are solved... No more reminders needed and everybody is happy.

I could set up the geeklist if others agree and no one else does it in the mean time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
Let's just switch to a geeklist and allmore problems are solvedcreated...

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here to somewhat echo Ooops' sentiment on whether or not it's a huge issue that we sometimes post things other than actual offers in the main thread. I'm wondering what people think.

Poll
If you had your say about the contents of the Free Games Subscription Thread and this Meta Thread, would you want them to be:
If you had your say about the contents of the Free Games Subscription Thread and this Meta Thread, would you want them to be:
Entirely Separate: no discussion of offers in the Subscription Thread please
Some Overlap is Ok: discussion mostly kept to the Meta Thread, but you're not particularly irked if it sometimes bleeds to the Subscription Thread
Discussion in Subscription Thread is A-OK: you don't mind getting notifications even when it's not about free game offers per se
      27 answers
Poll created by Lord_Kristof

Sorry if the poll is not as good or accurate as you'd like, it's been a while since I set one up and I bungled it up a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minimal overlap, no more than one follow up to a "free offer". If it is used to indicate a problem (the steam code I got doesn't work), then the dicussion & tech support posts belong here and not in the subscription thread.

One reply "hey this is a really great game and worth the awful hoops to get it free", but not a reply to that making it a dicussion. And obviously not having such a reply to every offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
only if it's helpfull, like an explanation on how to get the free game, if hoops are required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
DraedGhawl wrote:
Let's just switch to a geeklist and allmore problems are solvedcreated...

FTFY.

+1 to this. Geeklists cannot be found by new users. It would end up having a thread so that people know there is a geeklist, and then people would bump the thread to alert of new giveaways, and then we may as well just keep the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding all this discussion of threads versus geeklists is just creating unnecessary pings on this meta discussion thread. I propose we move it to a meta-meta discussion thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting subscription pings from geeklists is unrealiable and wonky and unintuitive. Even as someone who has been around for quite a while I don't fully understand it. And ever since the geek decided to make geeklist comments collapse conversation taking place in geeklist comments is an absolute nightmare.

Threads on the other hand are very straightforward and I have never had an issue with subscriptions on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.