Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
yaverot wrote:
DraedGhawl wrote:
Let's just switch to a geeklist and allmore problems are solvedcreated...

FTFY.

+1 to this. Geeklists cannot be found by new users. It would end up having a thread so that people know there is a geeklist, and then people would bump the thread to alert of new giveaways, and then we may as well just keep the thread.

But you wouldn't subscribe to the thread, so you won't see the bumps.

Geeklists get found, because people talk about them in several places and geeklists with free things are certainly found. Just look at all the generosity geeklists on the BGG side. It won't be found as fast as the thread maybe, but also that will differ per user.

Geeklists do have the earlier mentioned advantage of having the possibility to subscribe to new items and not to comments. We can then comment on it as much as we want and it's much easier to see which comment belongs to what.
Now I have to read the free games subscribtion thread and then the meta thread to follow the discussion. Which sometimes won't be chronological, because the discussion continues in both threads.
Currently people still comment on the 1st thread and when I want to comment on it I won't check if it has already been said in the meta thread. I also don't know if the people who are asking for support are reading this thread. They might not and think they are ignored. (Yes, we could send them a personal message, but other people with the same problem will read it and wait for answer).

Another thing is finding this thread. It's not mentioned in the OP of the free games thread. Eventually we will encounter new users who again will start commenting in the 1st thread and who we again need to redirect to this thread. It could create the same problem we're facing now again.

When I now want to comment on something in the 1st thread I first need to find this meta thread. Chrome is now suddenly automatically deleting my history after a few days, so sometimes I can't find it in my browse history. If it isn't in my subscriptions then I need to remember in which forum category it is or start googling for it. It's just not easy to find this thread!

Geeklists might not be the ideal solution (for everyone), but the double thread system is not the ideal solution (for everyone) either.

Another small step in solving this problem is to ask everyone who's posting the links to the free games to include a link to this thread. It's a little bit more work (quote the previous post and remove a bit), but it might work.

I agree with many opinions earlier mentioned and I disagree with others, but the biggest problem we have is that we all like a different way of working and we can't find a solution that suits everyone. In the end VGG is a place where we get together to discuss video games and that includes free offers. On other threads people are complaining that contribution and discussion is decreasing on VGG... Remember that we're missing about 90% of communication here (tone and expressions). Words can (and will) be interpreted in many different ways. Some people might think of the constant reminders of moving the discussion to be demotivating and just stop discussing and thus contribute even less to VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sykurmoli wrote:
At the risk of derailing the thread even further, is this the consensus? I can think of several places on the internet that are perfectly suited for strict announcements of free games (specific subreddits, for example), but only one when I can be notified about them and engage in discussion in a fun atmosphere (here).

Yes. The announce thread is for subscriptions, so people see when free games pop up. This thread is for discussion. I don't know why you seem to feel too good to just co-operate with such an incredibly simple policy.

Quote:
I mean, if your time is limited and you only want very factual information about games, it'd be surprising you'd hang around VGG much.

Now you're being snotty and condescending, and pushing a false argument that every part of VGG is somehow the same. Subscription/announce threads have been common on this site since before VGG was even a thing. They serve a simple function.

Quote:
I really mean no offence and I realize I may be in the minority, but I enjoy slightly messier subscription threads and I wonder if others are in the same boat.

Then subscribe to the meta thread and be chatty. Not every thread is solely about you, and you are being deliberately and obstinately disruptive to the stated goals and purpose of the announce thread. Instead of trying to poll for support to help disrupt something people appreciate, maybe just try co-operating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
I agree with many opinions earlier mentioned and I disagree with others, but the biggest problem we have is that we all like a different way of working and we can't find a solution that suits everyone.

Co-operation involves compromise, not the false goal of suiting everyone. Creating a very short thread boilerplate that posters quote on any post they make in the announce thread is extremely reasonable and eminently do-able. For example:

Thread Rules boilerplate wrote:
* Posts in this thread should include this quote block (just quote a previous post and cut the rest)
* Posts in this thread should be free game announcements or relate only to acquiring an announced free game
* Free Games Meta Discussion Thread welcomes any other related discussion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Creating a very short thread boilerplate that posters quote on any post they make in the announce thread is extremely reasonable and eminently do-able. For example:

Thread Rules boilerplate wrote:
* STUFF

It's technically doable, but nobody's going to do it because it's a hassle. You can make people jump through hoops to win free games. But if people are sharing news of free games as a service to the community? You want to make it as easy as possible for them.

I know on other forums, mods can pin a post so it stays on top as the first post of every thread, that way people can see the rules post easily no matter how many pages deep a thread is. Geeklists do this automatically; is there an analog for threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
post the rules on page 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys. This is a forum. I just gave you all a subscription notice. Enjoy forums in all their glory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Hey guys. This is a forum. I just gave you all a subscription notice. Enjoy forums in all their glory!

Which I saw only after logging into BGG. That is the way they work and I do not mind at all. My BGG link is set to my subscription page when I click on it from my browser. So seeing an update is normal and I either clear it or go read it. Right now over half get cleared as I have them on my subscription just for a reminder about something in them.

I like the forum method for the free games and the geeklist method for video game giveaways. I am on both lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want this thread to be hosted by Metta World Peace from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

Thanks, Ken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I'm still not sure about this Game Sessions website, but it is offering a decent game for free.

https://www.gamesessions.com/en/Game/EpistoryTypingChronicle...

Epistory

You have to play the game for 5 minutes to activate and keep it forever, and it has to be played before 4/25.

I'd love to have this game, but another games client? sigh, no thanks. I just want it on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
I'm still not sure about this Game Sessions website, but it is offering a decent game for free.

Epistory

You have to play the game for 5 minutes to activate and keep it forever, and it has to be played before 4/25.

I'd love to have this game, but another games client? sigh, no thanks. I just want it on Steam.

This client has given away several good games, but the question about whether or not it has some nefarious alter objective has prevented me from downloading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Sjeng wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

Epistory

This client has given away several good games, but the question about whether or not it has some nefarious alter objective has prevented me from downloading it.

No new clients for me either. I have addition to STEAM Gog and Origin (EA) but still have never gone into those as STEAM still has too many unplayed games for me to get through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Sjeng wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

Epistory

If you read through their "About Us" page, it sounds like they have a decent goal in mind. They offer ways of trying out games before you can buy it and activate it on steam, while keeping your game progress. They also have several big names in the video game industry.

It's possibly they're just so new that people are skeptical, but in another year or so they'll be a common name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Epic now having given away multiple very good titles, and signed some high-profile exclusive games like Borderlands 3, I've added them to my list of platforms definitely worth grabbing free games on. I think they're probably going to stick around for a while. (Even if I'd rather keep all my games on Steam, for now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to have already had Epic due to getting a mediocre metroidvania that I was interested in playing on it some time ago.

So I've been grabbing games on that platform since and have gotten some I've had heard about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I happened to have already had Epic due to getting a mediocre metroidvania that I was interested in playing on it some time ago.

So I've been grabbing games on that platform since and have gotten some I've had heard about.

Do you mean Axiom Verge? That one had been on my wishlist also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Do you mean Axiom Verge? That one had been on my wishlist also.

Nope. It was back when the Epic launcher only launched one game. Let me try to google the title.

I found it. It was Shadow Complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also giving Epic a hard pass: would've certainly installed it if it were a DRM-free store, but another invasive launcher for purchasing licenses? No thanks. Even Obsidian's Outer Worlds, which I'm super hyped about, won't get me to install it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
katzi wrote:
Age of Wonders III is free on HubleBundle for the next 46 hours or so.

I have to be paying for this by helping to train AI. There were so many captchas for me that I felt like I was watching someone's holiday slides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
katzi wrote:

I have to be paying for this by helping to train AI. There were so many captchas for me that I felt like I was watching someone's holiday slides.

Wonder if that's because you weren't signed in, or because your account was registered in AUS and/or is now a Norway login? (I was signed in and had no issues)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
katzi wrote:

Wonder if that's because you weren't signed in, or because your account was registered in AUS and/or is now a Norway login? (I was signed in and had no issues)

It might be a regional thing. I was given all the captchas in Norwegian. So maybe I was helping Google's self driving cars learn Norwegian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
It might be a regional thing. I was given all the captchas in Norwegian. So maybe I was helping Google's self driving cars learn Norwegian.

Click faster! The car is approaching something that might be traffic lights, buses, stairs or store fronts! Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
frumpish wrote:
GOG

Gwent card game free
The Witcher free (if you subscribe to a newsletter).

Hasn't gwent card game always been free? I recall playing it when I was looking for free alternatives to hearthstone (loving the gameplay, but was looking for something different).

I have no idea. But it is free now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Sims 4 free on Origin:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4

(don't get fooled into signing up for their monthly access if you don't want to, just scroll down to "buy now $0" to get it free.)

I'm in Sweden at the moment, so I ended up jumping through a couple of different versions of the store (US->Sweden->Norway) before I found the Norwegian page where I could redeem the offer. It looked to me like they do a much harder sell on getting people to try to sign up for Origin Access on the English version. On the Norwegian page it was so much easier to find the get it actually free button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is monthly access and how do I check to see if I got fooled into sighing up for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.