Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen up! There will be a few minor changes to the format for this event. Feedback and discussion welcome.

For the Winter Season, we will be selecting four games for people to play and discuss between early November and the end of February (approximately four months). Both for variety's sake and to account for varying amounts of free time, we will split nominations into two sets: games expected to run under 10 hours and games expected to run over 10 hours. Final selections will include two from each group.

There will be an ongoing discussion thread for each game, and everyone who completes a game can contribute to the Videogames Beaten by VGGers in 2018 list (and presumably the 2019 list after the New Year).

Timeline

Nominations: October 27th - October 31st (noon)
Voting: October 31st - November 4th
Gaming & Discussion: November 4th - February 28th
Event Wrap-up: March 1st.

Nomination Guidelines

Everyone can nominate one game. Please choose something both that you are excited about and that you think will generate interest. Nominations will be separated into two groups (+/- 10 hour games) to be voted on separately, with two final selections from each.

You can change your nomination at any point during the nomination period, but not after voting begins.

For this event, there is no limit on total nominations. However, if more than 10 games are nominated in either group, the first two days of voting will be a lightning round to bring the total down to 10. Ties will be broken in favor of games with the most individual votes.

Voting

Everyone can designate a first, second, and third choice. First choice will receive 3 points, 2nd choice two points, and third choice one point. The two games with the most total points in each group will be selected for the event. Voting will begin on October 31st at noon GMT5.

Final Selections:

For our longer titles, we will have ongoing discussion through March 1st:

Dark Souls III
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

For our shorter titles, we will have ongoing discussion through January 1st (with new titles to be selected at that time):

Shovel Knight
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Individual Event Threads

2018-19 Winter Game-club Event: Dark Souls III
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2018-2019 Winter Game Club Event
Current Nominations:

Group A (>10 Hours):

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
ARK: Extinction
RimWorld
Dark Souls III
Bloodborne

Group B (<10 hours):

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Shovel Knight
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Child of Light
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. Which longer games would you like to see included in the Winter Game-Club Event?
  Shadow of the Tomb Raider ARK: Extinction RimWorld Dark Souls III Bloodborne
1st Choice (3 points)
2nd Choice (2 points)
3rd Choice (1 point)
2. Which shorter games would you like to see included in the Winter Game-club Event?
  Call of Juarez: Gunslinger Shovel Knight Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Child of Light Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia
1st Choice (3 points)
2nd Choice (2 points)
3rd Choice (1 point)
      22 answers
Poll created by JohnRayJr

(Voting is CLOSED)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're trying to play with the format a little to make it appealing to the community here, so feedback and discussion are welcome. Small adjustments can still be made before the event is 'live,' so to speak.

As for my nomination, I'm going to go totally off-script here and put out some feelers for longer games. I am considering nominating:

Dark Souls III
Bloodborne
Shining Force II

If you all actually rally behind a 25 year-old Genesis title, you win the internet.

Also, I think Final Fantasy XV almost made the cut in an earlier event, and I would probably participate in that if it comes around again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully endorse Dark Souls III, Bloodborne and Shining Force II. I own Bloodborne and Shining Force 2. Easier for me to play Bloodborne right now, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just gonna straight up nominate Child of Light since I'm planning on streaming it for Extra Life next weekend.

Last time it took me 13.5 hrs to beat it, but that was trying to do all the things. Someone on the speedrunning Discord was able to complete their first run in under 6 hrs, so maybe I'll shoot for that.

HLTB lists main story at 11 hrs.

Even if I technically stream it before the event, I'm likely to keep speedrunning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
I'm just gonna straight up nominate Child of Light since I'm planning on streaming it for Extra Life next weekend.
I had never heard of this, but I googled it and it sounds cool. I'll have to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
I had never heard of this, but I googled it and it sounds cool. I'll have to check it out.
Seriously you never heard of Child of Light???!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll nominate Shadow of the Tomb Raider, although I don't expect many people will want to pay for a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I'll nominate Shadow of the Tomb Raider, although I don't expect many people will want to pay for a new game.
I'd play the 2nd one whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
Seriously you never heard of Child of Light???!!!
laugh

I was talking about Extra Life, actually. Child of Light I played through a couple of years ago I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
In North America though, we're approaching a brief period of crazy sales / deep discounts. So maybe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

It comes out 6 November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

It comes out 6 November.
From what you know about it, are you expecting a shorter game (sub 10 hours) or something over the 10-hour mark? Not that it's terribly important, just let me know whichever group and I'll stick it there for voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

It comes out 6 November.
From what you know about it, are you expecting a shorter game (sub 10 hours) or something over the 10-hour mark? Not that it's terribly important, just let me know whichever group and I'll stick it there for voting.
This will almost certainly be in the over 10 hours category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of nominating one of the following, depending on if anyone else is interested:

Mad Max: ~20 hrs to beat, according to HLTB. Available for cheap in the current WB Classics Humble Bundle.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger: ~5 hrs to beat according to HLTB. This was in one or two Humble Bundles in the past, so I would think a lot of VGG'ers already own it.

Shadow Warrior 2: ~8.5 hrs to beat, according to HLTB. Was recently given away for free on GOG, so a lot of people probably own it already. Can be played through single player or cooperatively with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Mad Max and would pull it out of the backlog if it ends up nominated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got copies of Dark Souls III and NioH. Dark Souls will be more accessible as NioH is PS4 only. I kind of want Bloodborne to get the final nod, though, even if it is a PS4 exclusive, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
In North America though, we're approaching a brief period of crazy sales / deep discounts. So maybe!
Discounting for this game has become a bit of a lightning rod for the pre-order crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
I'm thinking of nominating one of the following, depending on if anyone else is interested:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger: ~5 hrs to beat according to HLTB. This was in one or two Humble Bundles in the past, so I would think a lot of VGG'ers already own it.
I nearly started a second playthrough of this the other day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Discounting for this game has become a bit of a lightning rod for the pre-order crowd.
laugh

That's a head-scratcher for me. For over 10 years (in the US anyway) it's been the case that if you pay launch-day price for a game, you should expect it to be substantially discounted 4-6 weeks later. If the game is released in the Fall, it could be discounted a mere 2-3 weeks later.

Seems a little unfair for fans of one particular game to take offense. It's all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
laugh

That's a head-scratcher for me. For over 10 years (in the US anyway) it's been the case that if you pay launch-day price for a game, you should expect it to be substantially discounted 4-6 weeks later. If the game is released in the Fall, it could be discounted a mere 2-3 weeks later.

Seems a little unfair for fans of one particular game to take offense. It's all games.
In any case, I'd be happy to use this as an excuse to continue playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on a management / base-building kick recently and RimWorld came out of Early Access, so I'll nominate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Bloodborne since for once it's a game I actually own (and haven't already played through).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting out my own feelers...

(sub 10 hours)
Night in the Woods (9h)
Dream Daddy (6h)
Broken Age (10h)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (3h)
Sonic Mania (6h)
Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4, 7 hours)

(10+ hours)
Uncharted 4 (PS4, 15h)
Just Cause 3 (17h)
Shadow of Mordor (16h)
Ni No Kuni 2 (36h)
Battle Chasers: Nightwar (30h)
The Talos Principle (16h)

(indeterminate time, roguelike)
Dead Cells

As regards other peoples' feelers...
I likely wouldn't do a second play of Child of Light, but would certainly try to participate in the conversation.
I'd play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.
I'd maybe play Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 (never played a Souls game before), and a slim chance I'd play Shining Force 2.
I feel like I gave up on Final Fantasy after 12, but I'd consider FFXV, perhaps not a complete play though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |