The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Slay the Spire
Scythe: Digital Edition
Dota Underlords
Elemental Gearbolt
Minecraft
Tales of Legendia
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Gems of War
Through the Ages
Artifact
Mystic Vale
Wandersong
Samurai Shodown (2019)
Treasure Hunter Claire
Defender (1980)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Katamari Damacy
Demon's Souls
Company of Heroes
Left 4 Dead
Tomb Raider Legend
City of Heroes
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Strikers 1945
The Witcher
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
echochrome
Boom Blox Bash Party
Pushover
Citadel (BBC Micro)
Quake III: Arena
Adventureland
Super Street Fighter IV
Front Mission 4
Cross Days
Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland
Doom Troopers: Mutant Chronicles
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Just Cause
Fallen London
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
The Witness (2016)
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Carcassonne (2010 / Mobile)
Battle of the Bulge
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Pandemic: The Board Game
Talisman: Digital Edition
inFAMOUS Second Son
Recommend
36 
 Thumb up
 Hide
140 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: The 2019 Videogame Challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time to get ready for a new year, a year that we hope will be great for all of you! A year with lot of love, good fortune and happiness for all of you and your loved ones. But off course a year full of videogaming!

For this purpose and the succes of this years challenge we are repeating the challenge!

The Goal:

Let VGG'ers beat at least 5 games which accumelate to at least 50 hours of game time.


The Rules:


1 Enter a geeklist item in the geeklist before starting the challenge, games you beat before entering the challenge count but only for the regular challenge. Only games and hours played in 2019 count. To let them count for the hardcore challenge you need to enter the challenge before playing the games.
2 Optional: You may make up a list of videogames you intend to beat this year. If you are able to complete this challenge with the same ten games you have listed you will be eligable for the hardcore challenge microbadge.
2-1 As soon as you choose your list and updated your geeklist item then copy the list and post it as a comment under your geeklist item. Do not change this anymore as this is the way we can check if you kept to your list and are eligable for the hardcore microbadge.
2-2 You may add 3 alternate games that to this hardcore list so that if you get a game that you really don't like you don't have to play it to the end. Alternates have been limited to 3.
3 Play videogames!
4 As soon as you beat a game, tell us about it on VGG. Where you talk about it is up to you. This can be as a short review (we like that a lot) or just on the beaten videogames geeklist, but it could be in a play thread on the videogame page, ... but talk about the game, that's what VGG is for.
5 Adjust your geeklist item entry and make a list of which game you have beaten and how long you took to do it.
6 As soon as you have beaten 5 games and have at least 50 hours of combined gametime (you can play shorter games but need more entries then) you will receive the Complete challenge microbadge.
7 If you either hit at least 10 games beaten and got 100, 150 or 200 gamehours you will get another special microbadge for that.
8 When you enter the challenge or hit a goal, post about it in the thread. I don't monitor the list.

You can find the geeklist here: The 2019 Videogame Challenge!

Microbadges that can be earned: - new ones have been ordered

mb - earned by participating
mb - earned with 5 games beaten and 50 hours of gametime
mb - earned with 10 games beaten and 100 hours of gametime
mb - earned with 10 games beaten and 150 hours of gametime
mb - earned with 10 games beaten and 200 hours of gametime
mb - earned by beating the 10 games on your hardcore list.
21 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I skipped the hardcore challenge last year for the first time. I had previously always managed to complete my hardcore list, but sometimes there were games that I slogged through just to get that exclusive badge. The challenge is certainly great at forcing me to play some of those backlog games, but I’m enjoying my freedom to play whatever whenever.

Looking forward to another year of playing games!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah those backlog games. Have so many of them. And to be "forced" to play at least 10 of them, is great. A bit painful sometimes, but great. Had some to choose from this year again:



Videogame challenge, here we go.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Yeah those backlog games. Have so many of them. And to be "forced" to play at least 10 of them, is great. A bit painful sometimes, but great. Had some to choose from this year again:



Videogame challenge, here we go.

Platoon. I remember that being ridiculously hard. I always died as soon as reached the tunnels.

A Durell game too! They had the best cassette boxes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunnels is easy. Wait until you come to the nightly assault.

Durells boxes are nice indeed. And the game Saboteur here, is a really nice game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardcoooorrrreeee! Got to get through my backlog!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If only my physical backlog could be in one photo laugh Technically I think I can actually add all my Commodore 64 backlog into one photo: Most of the tape games are stored in a box together, then I can just place all the diskettes and cartridges and boxed cassettes on top and around the box.

Now getting everything else is a different case!

Chris, do you mean the design of the cover or you mean those plastic clam boxes they used? Kind of looking like small VHS cassettes (the soft plastic cassettes, not the hard ones).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Hardcoooorrrreeee! Got to get through my backlog!


Yeah that is always a good thing. Any nice titles waiting?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
If only my physical backlog could be in one photo laugh Technically I think I can actually add all my Commodore 64 backlog into one photo


Love to see a photo of your Commodore 64 backlog!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Chris, do you mean the design of the cover or you mean those plastic clam boxes they used? Kind of looking like small VHS cassettes (the soft plastic cassettes, not the hard ones).

It was the plastic boxes they used for the cassettes. They stood out from the other games I had and seemed fancier. At the time anyway.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Hardcoooorrrreeee! Got to get through my backlog!


Yeah that is always a good thing. Any nice titles waiting?

This seems to be the year of rogue-likes, ASCII art, and old games...

Almost my entire backlog can be cross-referenced with games from the Community goal 2019: Play the top 301-400 games on the VGG ranking list.

So, games like:

Angband
NetHack
Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II – Dwarf Fortress
Castle of the Winds
Dungeon Keeper
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
The Dig
Terraria
Stardew Valley
Torchlight II
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once more into the fray this year. It came down to the wire on the Hardcore Challenge both in 2017 and 2018, so we will see how 2019 goes. It was very difficult narrowing down the list!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Booker
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jan: I never contacted you for the MBs (or posted in the thread). I'm short a Silver 2017 and Gold 2018 for the Videogame Challenge. Posting here, as per your request.

Cheers!

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Send out, congrats
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you enter the challenge or hit a goal, post about it in the thread. I don't monitor the list.


I've entered the challenge, thank you for organizing it!

After game grazing during the holidays, time to get organized, and focused. cool
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
When you enter the challenge or hit a goal, post about it in the thread. I don't monitor the list.


I'm in. Thank you for the challenge.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to say that I'm in!
... with two Hardcore lists this year.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1 of 10 beaten. Good start.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Instead of or in addition to pinning this thread, could we get a new thread that lists all of VGG's goals with links to the relevant threads/geeklists? I'm struggling to discover all the goals for the year, and I know this activity is only one of several VGG initiatives. Thanks!
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Instead of or in addition to pinning this thread, could we get a new thread that lists all of VGG's goals with links to the relevant threads/geeklists? I'm struggling to discover all the goals for the year, and I know this activity is only one of several VGG initiatives. Thanks!
You mean like last year's Check out and post your 2018 gaming experiences here! ?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Instead of or in addition to pinning this thread, could we get a new thread that lists all of VGG's goals with links to the relevant threads/geeklists? I'm struggling to discover all the goals for the year, and I know this activity is only one of several VGG initiatives. Thanks!
You mean like last year's Check out and post your 2018 gaming experiences here! ?

Exactly. I've seen geeklists for 2000+ New Representative Images, Play 50+ Platforms, Play Games from Past 30+ Years, Play Top 300-400 Ranked Games, and I think some others. I just can't remember now what they all are and I didn't bookmark all the geeklists.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Instead of or in addition to pinning this thread, could we get a new thread that lists all of VGG's goals with links to the relevant threads/geeklists? I'm struggling to discover all the goals for the year, and I know this activity is only one of several VGG initiatives. Thanks!
You mean like last year's Check out and post your 2018 gaming experiences here! ?

Exactly. I've seen geeklists for 2000+ New Representative Images, Play 50+ Platforms, Play Games from Past 30+ Years, Play Top 300-400 Ranked Games, and I think some others. I just can't remember now what they all are and I didn't bookmark all the geeklists.
I hope it is okay that I did it. Maybe Jan can pin it or something?

But these are the ones I know of:
Check out and post your 2019 gaming experiences here!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What are people's thoughts on games where there are free levels and then additional paid for levels? Is it sufficient to beat the free levels to say the game is beaten? Assuming I'm not going to be buying the additional levels?

I'm thinking in particular of the series of Faraway Puzzle escape games where you get 9 levels for free, but can pay to unlock a further 9 levels.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
What are people's thoughts on games where there are free levels and then additional paid for levels? Is it sufficient to beat the free levels to say the game is beaten? Assuming I'm not going to be buying the additional levels?

I'm thinking in particular of the series of Faraway Puzzle escape games where you get 9 levels for free, but can pay to unlock a further 9 levels.
I used that type of game in the past and counted it as beaten when I finished the free levels. The free levels for my game were pretty much a complete game though, not just one or two 10-minute introductions or something else ridiculously short. I think the rules say it is up to you to determine what “beaten” means for games that have ambiguous endings.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
What are people's thoughts on games where there are free levels and then additional paid for levels? Is it sufficient to beat the free levels to say the game is beaten? Assuming I'm not going to be buying the additional levels?

I'm thinking in particular of the series of Faraway Puzzle escape games where you get 9 levels for free, but can pay to unlock a further 9 levels.
In my opinion the additional levels is a DLC - and in my opinion optional content. Of course some stories make less sense without the expansions, but Life is Strange - Episode 1: Chrysalis is a free game where you can buy Life is Strange - Episode 2: Out of Time - they have their own game entries, and you can't play Episode 2 without Episode 1 - but playing all five episodes will count as five game entries.

I would say the free levels are enough for Beaten. I did it too with Games&Girls. Later on I bought the first DLC and played this. I don't remember if it was available when I first completed the first story. But when you have finished the second set of nine levels - then a half year after they release nine more levels you can buy - and then what? Now you need to change your list?
DLCs/extra levels are optional That's my opinion (but yes some games I want to have the extras too for the full story of the game)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.