Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the milestone Crikey!

I have beaten 8 games to roll up 72 hours. My PSP may have finally given up the ghost (memory card refuses to read, and I am suspecting it is the reader and not the card... hrrn...), so I am moving to Alternates to attempt the Hardcore List. Luckily, two of my Alternates are on the 2DS, which does not have any of the stability issues of the PSP.

As an aside, I don't think I ever posted to say I passed 5 games/50 hours, so I at least have achieved the first level for 2019! Woo!

Happy gaming everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
Just passed the 200 hour mark. That's 11 games and 205 hours.

Now to sort out that hardcore list...
Cricky! That's great, Chris! I hope you will be as successful in your Hardcore List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Yes congratulations Luke - and sorry to hear about your PSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the congratulations everyone!

As far as the PSP, the thing was just shy of a decade old when I bought it, so I knew that given all the various parts that could fail on it (screen, disc drive, memory card reader, CPU), that it was living on some portion of borrowed time. If it is indeed bricked, I am mostly going to be frustrated that I have 5 unplayed games for it (Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VIII, God of War, plus the two from this year's Hardcore List, Metal Gear Acid and Monster Hunter Freedom), which will not be easily played on another system for me. But hey, that's a First World Problem if there ever was one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
As far as the PSP, the thing was just shy of a decade old when I bought it, so I knew that given all the various parts that could fail on it (screen, disc drive, memory card reader, CPU), that it was living on some portion of borrowed time. If it is indeed bricked, I am mostly going to be frustrated that I have 5 unplayed games for it (Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VIII, God of War, plus the two from this year's Hardcore List, Metal Gear Acid and Monster Hunter Freedom), which will not be easily played on another system for me. But hey, that's a First World Problem if there ever was one!
No way to fix it?
I've read that the pins on the motherboard can be bend a bit from use. But also read a firmware update might help, but not so sure that the firmware is the issue here...
If you open it up to check the pins, you might as well try to clean it if possible.

Before you do this try putting some duct tape on the memory card and stick it in (it will be a little tighter); it may may read it now - but of course also put more pressure on the pins, but this might indicate there there is a need for a simple repair.

You can also try to take the memory card out, insert it again, while still holding it (in and down) with the finger - it might then read it and you can let go and close the lid.

This is again a temporary fix but might tell you what could be wrong with the unit.

I hope it helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:
I now have beaten 11 games and have a total of 283.20 hours gaming time.
Congrats, I see you already claimed the mb's yourself.
I waited for a bit and then thought you might be busy vacationing or something, since it's July. I hope you don't mind I gave the badges to myself?
Off course not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats all, if I did not make any mistakes all mb's should be send out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my Hardcore Challenge!

400 hours of playtime wow

Should be a clean sweep of all the microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats badges send
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Congratulations! Enjoy that great collection of badges laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
No way to fix it?
I've read that the pins on the motherboard can be bend a bit from use. But also read a firmware update might help, but not so sure that the firmware is the issue here...
If you open it up to check the pins, you might as well try to clean it if possible.

Before you do this try putting some duct tape on the memory card and stick it in (it will be a little tighter); it may may read it now - but of course also put more pressure on the pins, but this might indicate there there is a need for a simple repair.

You can also try to take the memory card out, insert it again, while still holding it (in and down) with the finger - it might then read it and you can let go and close the lid.

This is again a temporary fix but might tell you what could be wrong with the unit.

I hope it helps
Catman, I do intend to open up the PSP and give it a look, and see if the pins have deflected or are otherwise not making good contact.
I have also read the "tape on the memory stick" technique, and seen mixed results -- some folks report no problems, others say that the memory stick becomes, well, stuck inside the PSP!

Unfortunately the problem has slowly gotten worse during my time owning the PSP - previously, the "finger" method you describe had about a 50% success rate. Now, nothing. Which, I guess, also means "nothing ventured, nothing gained," so I don't have much to lose giving it a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:
No way to fix it?

I hope it helps
Catman, I do intend to open up the PSP and give it a look, and see if the pins have deflected or are otherwise not making good contact.
I have also read the "tape on the memory stick" technique, and seen mixed results -- some folks report no problems, others say that the memory stick becomes, well, stuck inside the PSP!

Unfortunately the problem has slowly gotten worse during my time owning the PSP - previously, the "finger" method you describe had about a 50% success rate. Now, nothing. Which, I guess, also means "nothing ventured, nothing gained," so I don't have much to lose giving it a shot!
Sounds to me that they are possibly bent... give it a good isopropyl alcohol scrubdown (the card as well as the contacts might have gotten a bit dirty over time too)
... and keep me in the loop; I would love to hear how it goes.

I was thinking about getting a PSP, but since I need the (awesome looking) UMD to be able to run games, as there are no PSN access anymore - or use pirated or homebrews on memory cards then it got less interesting... So now I am back to considering a PS Vita or Nintendo 3DS as the 3DS can play DS games as well - and the Vita I have some games on PSN already (at least as long as I still have PS Plus) - the propriety memory cards just still sucks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Sounds to me that they are possibly bent... give it a good isopropyl alcohol scrubdown (the card as well as the contacts might have gotten a bit dirty over time too)

I was thinking about getting a PSP, but since I need the (awesome looking) UMD to be able to run games, as there are no PSN access anymore - or use pirated or homebrews on memory cards then it got less interesting... So now I am back to considering a PS Vita or Nintendo 3DS as the 3DS can play DS games as well - and the Vita I have some games on PSN already (at least as long as I still have PS Plus) - the propriety memory cards just still sucks...
Catman, thanks for the tip about the ISA, I know I have some of that in the house so I will give it a shot. Just need a little quiet time to disassemble the PSP.

Regarding the PSN for PSP... while you cannot go directly to the PSN Store from the PSP anymore, you can still buy PSN content for the PSP. The trick is getting it downloaded to the device. As late as the end of 2018, I was able to buy games on the PSN, and download them to the PSP using it's Wireless connection. I am fuzzy on the details and cannot look them up at work, but essentially you had to set your wireless access point to use the older WEP security protocol instead of WPA/WPA2, because the PSP is so old it does not recognize the newer protocols. Even this was difficult for the PSP -- I think eventually I created an Infrastructure network on the PSP directly connected to my IP address.

It's not easy... but it's not impossible, if you REALLY want a PSN game on the PSP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

SWEET CHRISTMAS! That's a lot of gaming!

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

Catman, thanks for the tip about the ISA, I know I have some of that in the house so I will give it a shot. Just need a little quiet time to disassemble the PSP.

Regarding the PSN for PSP... while you cannot go directly to the PSN Store from the PSP anymore, you can still buy PSN content for the PSP. The trick is getting it downloaded to the device. As late as the end of 2018, I was able to buy games on the PSN, and download them to the PSP using it's Wireless connection. I am fuzzy on the details and cannot look them up at work, but essentially you had to set your wireless access point to use the older WEP security protocol instead of WPA/WPA2, because the PSP is so old it does not recognize the newer protocols. Even this was difficult for the PSP -- I think eventually I created an Infrastructure network on the PSP directly connected to my IP address.

It's not easy... but it's not impossible, if you REALLY want a PSN game on the PSP!
I use a lot of ISA (sorry but first when I read it I was thinking "I wasn't talking about my old computers here - like my Compaq DeskPro 590 and my Amiga 2000 using ISA slots - then it hit me you meant the alcohol laugh) - sometimes I think I may have an alcohol problem, as I get all worked up if I can't find my bottle and have to go to the beauty shop to buy more - life with old computers can lead to a heavy alcohol use it seems... but it's great to clean old PCB and contacts! I am planning to make a small toolbox for my hardware tinkering - a fixed place to store my ISA and q-tips when I don't use them, as well as those specialized tools I gather when I have to do work on various consoles using obscure tools, such as the shell tool I bought when I was working on my cousin's Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition and if I ever buy that ultra-long Torx T-15 screwdriver needed for opening old compact Macintosh computers...
Also a good place to store my soldering equipment... Maybe an old mechanic's toolbox is good for this..

Never mind.. it's off topic: I hope you are able to squeeze in some quiet time to take a good look at the PSP and hopefully also be able to squeeze a few extra years of gaming out of it!

And yes the tape does make the card more thick which is why it usually can read again (loose contact pins), but also risk to get stuck. I've heard of people using a piece of paper instead but you risk the paper to break and get stuck in the machine so better with the tape - but even better to open and fix (if possible) - and if you already have used the tape to take it off again (and clean any residue off with ISA) so you won't stress the pins again before time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Luke and JohnRayJr!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
What was in that cake, Dr??
badge
AROOOOO! BACON! You're made of BACON!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I can't begin to fathom how there are enough hours in the day to reach 400, but I am a mere mortal Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:
Congrats! I can't begin to fathom how there are enough hours in the day to reach 400, but I am a mere mortal Good job!
With 365 days in a year, you only need to average a little over 1hr a day. As a matter of fact, there are only 24 hours in 1 day, so literally what you suggest isn't possible.

I'm almost there myself, just slowing down a bit on the 10th game (and 11th?). Taking a bit of a break and playing something not on the list so I don't burn out. I should probably actually play some board games solo.

Congrats, also JohnRayJr! I like to just get them at the same time too laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Congratulations! And with 5 months to spare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
admin
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
I'm almost there myself, just slowing down a bit on the 10th game (and 11th?). Taking a bit of a break and playing something not on the list so I don't burn out. I should probably actually play some board games solo.
I've played too many games not on my list! 20 to be exact... and I am on my 10th game on the list now (actually I'm on two of the 10th games but I might finish The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt before I finish Road Rash).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [13] |