Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Grimwold wrote:
I think this may be the year I don't earn the pillar.. I just can't manage to submit that many new games (even at the reduced total of 30)... that's ok though.. I feel like I have too much going on in life to be a pillar of the community here.

I want to buy the VGG Pebble of the Community badge. "always present, only occasionally kicked around."

I’ll see what I can do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Done - Wintry Pillar Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:

I'm assuming it's private?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
tdphillips wrote:
I'm assuming it's private?

Doh! Not anymore, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up to 30. More to come soon. I'd like to say I'll take screenshots of each but that would probably be untrue.

tdphillips' 2019 Pillar of the Community List - Winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, got 30 games in. A few still pending approval.

frumpish 2019 Pillar of Community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! The requirements aren't secret!

I'll try to add some games and get a geeklist going later this month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we get credit for trying?? I have 4 8 games in the submission queue as I found a series that my youngest played on his tablet that are not in the database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Grimwold wrote:
I think this may be the year I don't earn the pillar.. I just can't manage to submit that many new games (even at the reduced total of 30)... that's ok though.. I feel like I have too much going on in life to be a pillar of the community here.

I want to buy the VGG Pebble of the Community badge. "always present, only occasionally kicked around."

Ahahahaha! Brilliant!!! laughlaughlaugh I've been inspired to start my own "2019 Pebble to Pillar List" that I'll work on over the season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Do we get credit for trying?? I have 4 8 games in the submission queue as I found a series that my youngest played on his tablet that are not in the database!

That inspired me too! There are several games I play on my iPad and Kindle which aren't in the database yet (nor were their developer!) and more old games I have installed in Linux... so I've started adding them too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

That inspired me too! There are several games I play on my iPad and Kindle which aren't in the database yet (nor were their developer!) and more old games I have installed in Linux... so I've started adding them too!
That's kind if how I made a lot of my points for the Hall of Fame! When I got box lots of Commodore 64 games, I often found games in the boxes that did not yet exist in the database - and plenty of mobile games also so not exist - and with the many games there are on Steam, you find plenty there that is not in the database either (usually you can skip the big games for this purpose; they usually are there).

For many Steam-users: Just go through your wishlist, and you may find games there which are not yet in the database (of course it depends on how you do your wishlist, and what games you have on it). I believe if I check the games installed on my phone at the moment (both from Play Store and from Nutaku), I will find games that can be added.
But most of the 80 games I've added this "month" (few weeks) have been either on my Steam wishlist, or connected to the games somehow. Also a bit older Macintosh software as I have been researching games for playing on my Macintosh SE/30.
Some of the games in the Steam library might also be missing in the database (I am sure some of mine do!).

If anyone are bored and need further inspiration to find games to add, then maybe check Cronosoft for new games for C64, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, CPC and Dragon 32/64 (some of the games are already there, but far from all of them).
Macintosh Repository also have a lot of games in their database which may be missing., and with over 6,000 games, Classic Reload also might have something that we miss.

Other places that could be useful:
My Abandonware (14,000+ games)
Atari Mania (games for Atari platforms)
Hall of Light (Amiga games)
Lemon 64 (Commodore 64 games - there is also an Lemon Amiga with Amiga games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
...But most of the 80 games I've added this "month"...

80, wow!!! surprise laugh
I'm struggling to get the 30 in, lol.

Just a few notes from my experience while submitting...

For other newbies to game database submission like myself:
Most of the time games I'm attempting to add have a developer and publisher that doesn't pull-up so I select "unknown" which slows approval process. I was given this helpful link:

https://www.videogamegeek.com/item/create/videogamecompany
https://www.videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/Video_Game_Guide_to_...

I first check to see if game is even in database. If no, then proceed to add it via submission form. I check the developer and publisher real quick at bottom of form and if that doesn't pull-up then I jump over to the link provided to add company. I then start game submission form from the top and by the time I get to the bottom at developer and publisher input it's usually finally a choice available to add.

Any tips, tools, links, etc to help database submission go even faster and easier?

Or general, fun, kooky submission stories?
I'll start a thread here to discuss as I'm sure Jan doesn't want me going too far on a tangent on his pillar challenge thread.

https://videogamegeek.com/article/30930636#30930636
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And started: 2019 Winter Pillar - Add 30 Games to the Database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan,
And done (a few still pending at time of post but soon to be added)!

JPiñata's 2019 Pebble to Pillar List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JPinata wrote:
80, wow!!! surprise laugh
I'm struggling to get the 30 in, lol.
JPinata wrote:
Jan,
And done (a few still pending at time of post but soon to be added)!

JPiñata's 2019 Pebble to Pillar List
You see? No struggle at all laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking on where to find games that are not in the DBase, that also have enough info available to fill in the VGG form...

How do you do it Jørgen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
I'm thinking on where to find games that are not in the DBase, that also have enough info available to fill in the VGG form...

How do you do it Jørgen?
Steam! Too many obscure games there.
1) Go to the Free Video Games From Your Fellow VGGers Up For Grabs - Pay It Forward and look what games are given away. Search the games in the VGG database that is only shown as Steam links (or have no linking at all).
2) If not in DB, open the Steam link, and use the data. Even better if the game have it's own website then you can maybe see other releases of the game too (mobile platforms? Switch? PS? Xbox?)
3) Check the publisher while you are there - other of their games missing?
This way just gave me 14 games pending (from one listitem + related games).

YES it is a tedious way to copy, change tab (or even better open the tab in a new window: I find that easier!) paste into a Video Game search. Next game, copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Add the game. Repeat.

Or look at smaller Steam games - they are usually missing.

I just looked at a random game on Steam from the "Popular Among Friends" - and then searched it in the database - "No Items Found".

Most - or at least half of the games I've added this month was just trawling my Steam Wishlist (I king of use that as a junk box for things I might check out if they get discounted - or games I really want at some point) - maybe you have the same "issue" (I can't see your wishlist it seems, but I can see Cricky had a few, so Chris - if you need inspiration, then check your wishlist! Andy, you have a few (but not so many), too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to Big Fish's website, you'll also find the latest HOGs that haven't been added yet.

There is also trawling the iPad and Android App stores for free game apps - many of those haven't been added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:

If you happen to stumble upon a developer/publisher not yet listed in VGG database during a game submission search by that developer/publisher on Steam and see what other games they made. That could unlock a trove of unlisted VGG titles to add! ninja Tip courtesy of Jørgen & Frumpish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the Games to Add Wiki. Though it hasn's been updated in a while.

https://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/Games_to_Add_to_the_Data...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've entered 5 so far. Will start a geeklist as soon as they get approved.

edit: Sjeng's 2019 Winter Pillar - 30 Games for the Database
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up to 33 games submitted and approved... here's my geeklist:
Grimwold Game Submissions Winter 2019

I went back to an old 'haunt' where I've found games before... as others have mentioned... Big Fish Games.

If people are looking for a source of games to add, this is a pretty good source. One thing I've found however is that they don't list the release date on the game page.. so it requires a bit of digging... For every game, they create a forum, and the date of the welcome post can often be used as the release date (very occasionally these are created a few days early, so it's worth reading some of the posts and checking the dates in the review thread as well).

Big Fish tend to only be the publisher (they did self develop some games like the early Mystery Case Files, but even those now seem to be outsourced), so it might require a bit of digging to find the name of the developer.
Once you do find the developer it can often be helpful to go to the developers website for more info and more games to submit...
E.g. Eipix Entertainment now create a lot of the Hidden Object games for Big Fish, as do Elephant Games (Videogames).

Most of the Hidden object games come in a Collectors Edition (CE) AND a standard edition (SE), often released a month after the collectors.. I add these as separate versions.. and as they are often available on both PC and Mac, I submit 4 versions PC CE; Mac CE; PC SE and Mac SE... some are even released on iOS and/or Android a year or so later!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First come first serve:
If you need a game to add to your pillar, here is Mana Spark - info can be found on the website as well as on Steam (link on the website).
I've checked the VGG database and the Submission Queue, and right now it is in none of them - please check again when you add the game.
If it is not submitted or added before the weekend, I might do it Monday - but I don't need any more points, so... from me to you!

I can see it now in the database
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And made it to 30 games! 2019 Winter Pillar - Add 30 Games to the Database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.